Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The BBFC Advice & Decision (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/5260-sham031-sham201-cannibal-holocaust-bbfc-advice-decision.html)

Daemonia 16th April 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaroff (Post 143442)
i own a vast amount of films, i never buy cut films if theres an option. i do however 'draw the line' at what i consider real sadistic cruelty. as you will also note in my other responses, i prefer being given the option to view a version that has been altered to remove a set of scenarios that in the consensus of opinion ie:concerning animal cruelty, is repellent. you are actually censoring & recutting my text/opinion if you can understand that..you are a censor. well done. ttfn.:pound:

Why should Cannibal Holocaust be censored merely to make it more palatable to you? After all, even if the animal cruelty is removed, it's still undeniable that animals were killed in the production of the film. You should shun the movie completely if it offends you that much. If you buy a cut version, you're still supporting it and giving money to the people who hurt those animals, even if those scenes have been removed.

I am NOT a sadist (and I resent the implication) and I don't revel in cruelty to animals. But Cannibal Holocaust is what it is. You can hack it to pieces, but it still remains a film wherein animals were killed. If you really can't handle it, then stay away. And are you okay with the scenes of real human death in the Road to Hell sequence? If so, then doesn't that make you a sadist too?

And couldn't you argue that in toning down the film you are somehow sweeping it all under the carpet and excusing the filmmakers for their actions?

Zaroff 16th April 2011 03:00 PM

deluded apes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 143493)
Why should Cannibal Holocaust be censored merely to make it more palatable to you? After all, even if the animal cruelty is removed, it's still undeniable that animals were killed in the production of the film. You should shun the movie completely if it offends you that much. If you buy a cut version, you're still supporting it and giving money to the people who hurt those animals, even if those scenes have been removed.

I am NOT a sadist (and I resent the implication) and I don't revel in cruelty to animals. But Cannibal Holocaust is what it is. You can hack it to pieces, but it still remains a film wherein animals were killed. If you really can't handle it, then stay away. And are you okay with the scenes of real human death in the Road to Hell sequence? If so, then doesn't that make you a sadist too?

And couldn't you argue that in toning down the film you are somehow sweeping it all under the carpet and excusing the filmmakers for their actions?

ok. here it is. i can't stand humans. i'd gladly see Deodato kill thousands of you. you're deluded apes. tone down the animal atrocities because humanity is supposed to evolve culturally if not mentally, that'd be palatable to me. i would gladly kill thousands of you to save one animal from your pathetic drive for archival footage. you bore me. in short, im more of a sadistic son of a muthers bitch than you could possibly know. oh wait, what's that, i really don't care............fetch my tartar war-bow. i feel some 'shunning' coming on.

trench 16th April 2011 03:21 PM

deluded pretentiousness

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaroff (Post 143512)
ok. here it is. i can't stand humans. i'd gladly see Deodato kill thousands of you. you're deluded apes. tone down the animal atrocities because humanity is supposed to evolve culturally if not mentally, that'd be palatable to me. i would gladly kill thousands of you to save one animal from your pathetic drive for archival footage. you bore me. in short, im more of a sadistic son of a muthers bitch than you could possibly know. oh wait, what's that, i really don't care............fetch my tartar war-bow. i feel some 'shunning' coming on.

It's okay, just take a deep breath, everything is okay. Everything is okay. Seriously. Everything is okay.

Zaroff 16th April 2011 03:23 PM

aum mani padme hum

Quote:

Originally Posted by trench (Post 143516)
Calm yersel'.

calm as a pool of sangre.. me, schopenhauer & buddha are old pals. :pray::clap:

trench 16th April 2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaroff (Post 143517)
calm as a pool of sangre.. me, schopenhauer & buddha are old pals. :pray::clap:

Glad you quoted that, I had many changes of mind, as you can see!

Zaroff 16th April 2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trench (Post 143519)
Glad you quoted that, I had many changes of mind, as you can see!

screamin trees are doin it to ya!...be honest with you, everything i write is a humourous riff on my original line about bug bunny and a bull... Bully for Bugs..
ole!... don't mention it though. im a satanic buddhist..bugs bunny is my messiah, so Marvin the Martian is Pontius Pilate... oh damn i hit the submit reply-

robertzombie 16th April 2011 05:50 PM

:rolleyes:

Daemonia 16th April 2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaroff (Post 143512)
tone down the animal atrocities because humanity is supposed to evolve culturally if not mentally, that'd be palatable to me.

It's just a shame that the evolutionary process appears to have bypassed you. You're not half as clever or witty as you think you are. Random quotes and subtle intellectual references does not a genius make.

Okay, now you can infract me, I insulted someone. :lol:

I'm off to torture my pets because, apparently, I'm a sadist!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th April 2011 06:04 PM

Before this descends into another Royal Rumble,can we all just agree to disagree?:)

As Almar said in another thread,arguments like this deter small companies from releasing other niche titles,because believe it or not,the people who own these small indie label actually read these boards.

Now we wouldn't want that,would we? :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th April 2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 143546)

Okay, now you can infract me, I insulted someone. :lol:

Chill Dae.:)

Daemonia 16th April 2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 143548)
Chill Dae.:)

Just kidding, Reaps. I'm cool as a cucumber. :cool:

But, be fair, when someone comes along and tells us we're all sadists because we watch Cannibal Holocaust uncut it's bound to get a reaction. He's being provocative.

But....I shall retire gracefully at this point. :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th April 2011 06:14 PM

No need to retire D.I know you're cool,and yes Zaroff,please cool it with the inflammatory comments eh?

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th April 2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 143549)
Just kidding, Reaps. I'm cool as a cucumber. :cool:

But, be fair, when someone comes along and tells us we're all sadists because we watch Cannibal Holocaust uncut it's bound to get a reaction. He's being provocative.

That sadist Reaper LOVES the uncut Cannibal Holocaust. Not that that's the reason he's a sadist. It's the gimp mask and chains/whips he regularly likes to bring out that make him one. :eyebrows:

nekromantik 16th April 2011 06:55 PM

woah!! this has turned into something else :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th April 2011 07:15 PM

For a thread designed to discuss such groundbreaking news from the BBFC, this has moved a little bit away from where it began, so could people please think before they click on 'Submit Reply' please?

robertzombie 16th April 2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 142396)
They passed that last time around. Some (not all) of it is faked anyway, if you look at the behind the scenes gallery on the Grindhouse disc there are photo's of them filming one of the executions.

I just had a look at the galleries and couldn't find a picture from TLRTH. Could you point me in the right direction?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th April 2011 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 143567)
woah!! this has turned into something else :lol:

Not for long mate.;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th April 2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 143564)
That sadist Reaper LOVES the uncut Cannibal Holocaust. Not that that's the reason he's a sadist. It's the gimp mask and chains/whips he regularly likes to bring out that make him one. :eyebrows:

And HE has the whipping marks to prove it.....:lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th April 2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 143546)

I'm off to torture my pets because, apparently, I'm a sadist!

Turtle soup for tea?:eyebrows:

Daemonia 17th April 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 143625)
Turtle soup for tea?:eyebrows:

I haven't got a turtle, so I'll have to steal the neighbours' tortoise instead. Thankfully, that sadist Stephen sent me the recipe, so I'll get cracking. :lol:

Sorry, Nos, just having a bit of fun, mate. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th April 2011 11:47 AM

It's no bother as friendly banter never hurt anyone and it's good to see the mood much lighter than it has been. In any case, I'm a vegetarian, so I'll leave the turtle, pig and monkey to you and Stephen!

nekromantik 17th April 2011 11:52 AM

Im a vegi too ha ha

Rotten 17th April 2011 08:48 PM

Great news

This is greatnews, will definatly be buying this release

Pete 18th April 2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 143595)
I just had a look at the galleries and couldn't find a picture from TLRTH. Could you point me in the right direction?

There is a picture of two soldiers and a prisoner, the one who gets shot in the stomach (the one in the green shirt..or is it blue? Haven't seen it for ages) posing for the camera. This part is obviously faked anyway as the quality is a lot better than the rest of the segment.

I'll post a pic later. ;)

P-Mac 20th April 2011 12:57 PM

Does the cutting of the muskrat sequence affect the continuity/music in some way? Is it killed for the sake of it, and not eaten?

I'm surprised that only 14 seconds will be cut, but I agree with everyone that the BBFC are quite inconsistent at times.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th April 2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-Mac (Post 144568)
Does the cutting of the muskrat sequence affect the continuity/music in some way? Is it killed for the sake of it, and not eaten?

I'm surprised that only 14 seconds will be cut, but I agree with everyone that the BBFC are quite inconsistent at times.

From looking at the uncut film, I think those 14 seconds can be removed without detriment to the music and continuity. The animal was killed, as Deodato puts it, as a 'sacrifice' rather than the other animals which were eaten by members of the cast, crew and natives.

Daemonia 26th April 2011 01:14 AM

Just out of curiosity - if the BBFC do decide that the animals (muskrat aside, which is a sadistic kill) were killed humanely, will it change your view of the film?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th April 2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 145988)
Just out of curiosity - if the BBFC do decide that the animals (muskrat aside, which is a sadistic kill) were killed humanely, will it change your view of the film?

No, not really. Whether the animals were killed humanely or not was never an issue as it was the depiction of those events on screen that had (and continues to have) the most impact. The first time I saw Cannibal Holocaust, I had only seen an animal killed in a film in Apocalypse Now, but that was done by the natives rather than the 'civilised Westerners' who had lost it and 'gone native'. It really was unlike anything I'd ever seen and was a bit of an assault on the senses!

Daemonia 26th April 2011 11:36 AM

I take your points, Nos. But much of the controversy isn't around animals being killed on-screen, but that it was considered to be cruel and sadistic. The pervailing attitude has been that the animals were mistreated. However, if you remove that element, all you have left is the killing of the animals, which, I might add, is not a criminal offence in the UK (otherwise farmers and the like would be in court all the time). The issue in the UK is the treatment of the animal prior to its death - in other words, did it suffer? So if the BBFC take that into account and conclude that the killings are swift and humane and no prolonged suffering was endured, they may well pass those scenes. I'm doubtful, but we'll see.

So, I was curious, if the element of cruelty is proved to be absent, will it change people's view of the film?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th April 2011 11:45 AM

It will probably depend on the viewer and their experiences/knowledge of horror films and where Cannibal Holocaust fits into the horror movement and the development of the cannibal subgenre.

If someone is anything like I was when I first saw it, they will likely be stunned by the violence and, even if they are 'quick kills', it is one thing to read about the images and another thing to see them as the turtle scene is still pretty tough to watch because of the motor reflex movements.

However, I feel a great deal better about the film because, with the exception of the muskrat, I can watch the animal killings knowing they were performed quickly and with as little suffering to the animal as possible.

Daemonia 26th April 2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 146041)
If someone is anything like I was when I first saw it, they will likely be stunned by the violence and, even if they are 'quick kills', it is one thing to read about the images and another thing to see them as the turtle scene is still pretty tough to watch because of the motor reflex movements.

To be honest, considering what some people watch on the internet, I don't think this film will be quite so shocking to today's audiences. However, I had pretty much the same reaction as you, I was stunned by the sheer ferocity and violence of the film. I knew it was something special though, and being part of the nasties scandal, it felt like watching a piece of film history. Never had a film had such an impact on me as this one. I doubt younger viewers will have that experience, though.

robertzombie 26th April 2011 12:41 PM

I've screened it twice at Brunel to a room full of students and they always come away with some pretty stunned faces!

BioZombie 26th April 2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 146059)
I've screened it twice at Brunel to a room full of students and they always come away with some pretty stunned faces!

I'd like to show it UCLan Cult Film, I think it would get some interesting reactions. The couple of people I have show it to have really been affected by it, but they have all agreed that it is a fatastically made flick.

robertzombie 26th April 2011 02:13 PM

One of the best :D

gummysubstance 28th April 2011 04:16 PM

im sure somebody has asked this but can find an answer through all the posts. Is this going to have a cut with no animal cruelty; it all taken out? and on blu?

Daemonia 28th April 2011 05:52 PM

Sarah would probably be best qualified to answer that query. My understanding is that the disc will contain two versions: one which will be as near as uncut as possible and the other being Deodato's new edit. What the latter will contain I have no idea.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Disc two contains.....

Jamie's turtle soup for schools campaign!

How to;
Catch skin and cook in 30 minutes! :lol:

:behindsofa::behindsofa::behindsofa:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 146663)
Disc two contains.....

How to;

Pukka! :tongue1: :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 146663)
Disc two contains.....

How to;

Is it better than Turkey Twizzlers? How about the correct preparation and cooking techniques for a monkey's brain?

bigandya 28th April 2011 06:53 PM

When this film was around in 1982, the animal cruelty wasn't even talked about. People were shocked at the extreme sexual violence, some of which was cut from the Go Video pre cert release.

The only film at the time that caused a bit of an outcry regarding animal cruelty was Faces of Death. Even though it was full of animal slaughter footage, it was the monkey having its brains bashed in that caused all the uproar... a scene later discovered to be fake.

It was only about 15-20 years ago that people started protesting against the animal cruelty in CH. Personally I think its ridiculous to make such a huge fuss about the animal cruelty when the spiked dildo scene, the rape of the native Indio girl, and the forced abortion sequence are far more shocking and horrific.

Political correctness has done all this...