Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The BBFC Advice & Decision (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/5260-sham031-sham201-cannibal-holocaust-bbfc-advice-decision.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 146726)
Is it better than Turkey Twizzlers? How about the correct preparation and cooking techniques for a monkey's brain?

'Fraid not mate.

When it comes to 'brains' you need this man.:rolleyes:

Island of Death fan extraordinaire!:lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 06:54 PM

Ramsey by name, Ram-sey by nature, eh? ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 06:57 PM

As Sean Connery would say-Gordon Ram-shee....;)

Sarah@Cult Labs 28th April 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gummysubstance (Post 146577)
im sure somebody has asked this but can find an answer through all the posts. Is this going to have a cut with no animal cruelty; it all taken out? and on blu?

As Daemonia said, the disc will contain the as-uncut-as-poss version and the new edit. The new edit will remove all sight of the animal cruelty, although the fact that it's happened will remain rather than just jumping over the whole scene.

Hope this clears it up!

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk

Daemonia 29th April 2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 146663)
Disc two contains.....

Jamie's turtle soup for schools campaign!

How to;
Catch skin and cook in 30 minutes! :lol:

:behindsofa::behindsofa::behindsofa:

Round yours for beers and turtle soup tomorrow night, Reaps? :lol:

Calum 29th April 2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigandya (Post 146729)

Political correctness has done all this...

Political correctness???

What on earth are you talking about?

Caring about animals = political correctness???

This aside: the making of doc on the Grindhouse disc is one of my favourite extra features ever. Utterly essential viewing.

And don't forget that Ruggero will be at Cine Excess this year!

darthelvis 29th April 2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 146980)
Political correctness???

This aside: the making of doc on the Grindhouse disc is one of my favourite extra features ever. Utterly essential viewing.

And don't forget that Ruggero will be at Cine Excess this year!

Wish I could make it along to that, damn living so far North and being skint 24/7!

Daemonia 30th April 2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthelvis (Post 146989)
Wish I could make it along to that, damn living so far North and being skint 24/7!

Use the force, darth.

:lol:

bigandya 30th April 2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 146980)
Political correctness???

People really need to understand that there is a massive, massive difference between "caring for animals" (as you put it) and watching scenes transcribed to film 30 years ago. Of course nobody would condone the killing, torture or mutilation of animals in "real life" and its good to see that these days film-makers treat animals with a much greater respect than they did in the past. That is "caring for animals".

The removal of scenes of animal cruelty from films shot prior to our more "caring" society is exerting modern censorship on past works. Past works that were deemed acceptable at that time (as evidenced by the lack of protest at the animal cruelty in both Holocaust and Ferox during the video nasties debacle).

That is what I mean by "political correctness". Not only must we ensure these events never happen again, we must erase them from films where they happened in the past! How ridiculous. It reminds me of the US censors who are removing the words "nigger" and "Injun" from Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn to make them more "politically correct" for classroom reading.

You cannot hide the fact that these animals were killed just by censoring the scenes from the film! Deodato presented his vision to the world in 1980 and, whether or not he agrees with it now, in these "politically correct" times, its the 1980 version of Cannibal Holocaust that earned its reputation, not a lacklustre 21st century censored print to cater for those who can't stomach what Deodato created.

Incidentally, there was a lot of human suffering during the making of the film too due to adverse filming conditions... but people tend to ignore that....

Bringer Of Funerals 30th April 2011 05:35 PM

I have the EC edition of the film, I do like the film and to be honest I came away stunned at the cruelty. What got to me the most was the monkey killing and the way it was pulling away.

Even though the turtle scene was horrible to watch I knew it was killed humane.

I can't remember the muskrat scene, I must watch it again, overall it was a very good film that is hard to watch

I even hate kids in the street chasing pidgeons when they have landed

Vendaval Este 1st May 2011 07:48 AM

I picked up the fancy Japanese DVD that is loaded with extras, I might get this if still has something new on it.

graydzero 6th May 2011 02:25 AM

This has always been a difficult movie for me, on one hand, I abhor censorship and see no reason for it, especially in the case of films, like "I spit on your grave".

On the other hand, I am a vegetarian animal wimp and can't stand seeing animal cruelty.

On the third hand, which mysteriously appears suddenly, the movie has a brilliant point and thematic core to it, that the animal footage is arguably an integral part of.

It is good to know the director is involved with this version too, as a ( small small time ) film-maker, it would be a nightmare to have someone censor something you spent a ton of man hours and heart to put into a film.

So I think logically, I will buy the new release and bemoan censorship, whilst secretly being happy I don't need to watch an animal die a nasty death ( Hypocrite much ? ).

Demoncrat 6th May 2011 10:06 AM

hmmm. after pointing out on another thread that relating made up unpleasantness (ie Srpski) to REAL footage is a thin line...both contain imagery that isnt very nice to watch (whatever floats your boat) but there is at least the "safety valve" along the lines of "wow, what cant they do with sfx nowadays". this you cant say whilst discussing CH, Ferox etc. i am NOT condoning censorship, i just think that any UK print will ALWAYS be tampered with due to the law of the land. i also hate foxhunting so go figure.;)

Baseball Fury 6th May 2011 02:31 PM

I have to admit, I'm quite excited about this release now. Quite excited indeed!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 148559)
I have to admit, I'm quite excited about this release now. Quite excited indeed!

In that respect, you're definitely not alone. I own an uncut version of the film but I'm really looking forward to seeing Ruggero Deodato's edit, plus whatever extras Shameless include in the set.

Prince_Vajda 6th May 2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 148579)
In that respect, you're definitely not alone. I own an uncut version of the film but I'm really looking forward to seeing Ruggero Deodato's edit, plus whatever extras Shameless include in the set.

It's one of the few horror films that leave the audience behind with a really unpleasant feeling. For my personal taste, it's almost a bit too much. It's a movie that I can watch approximately once a year. Altogether, this could be understood as some dislike of the movie on my side - and I would not necessarily interfer with that opinion, as the experience of watching CH is not too joyful (I guess many can admit that). However, you can also judge it as a compliment - as this is basically what a HORROR movie should do (apart from delivering two enjoyable hours): it should try to HORRIFY the audience. :cool:

So it definitely has its place in horror movie history. To keep it simple: I do not LIKE the movie - yet I think it has a lot of qualities. Just think of the portrayal of mankind! Too realistic, for my taste at least. But when I think of the end of the movie: would a producer of our time really give orders to burn such a "documentary"? - in times of Big Brother and Co. I'd say: no. So maybe reality is a lot worse than this fictitious flick. That's a sad thing (:mmph:) and off-topic - but I wanted to share my thoughts with this community.

Why did I quote Nos - yeah, I know! Because I wanted to say that I own a (quite good) french version. However, the yellow box will just look nice on this infamous classic - I'm 100% sure!:nod:

Greetings!

Bringer Of Funerals 6th May 2011 06:48 PM

I'll admit I found the film very hard going and it upset me with the animal killings because that's just me and even hate kids chasing pidgeons but I suppose that is what I get for wanting to see it just because it is banned.

I will buy the Shameless edition just to see what Ruggero doe's with his cut of the film

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th May 2011 07:00 PM

By its very nature, Cannibal Holocaust is an upsetting film because it takes the word 'horror' literally and is a horrific film. I'm surprised at how the gutwrenching effect it had only the first time I saw it has faded over time and the violence, both towards animals and women, didn't have the impact it first did.

This isn't to say it is now an easy watch -- that would be patently absurd as it is one of the difficult film to watch in my collection -- but, like any film, be it, comedy or horror, you're expecting the laugh/scare so it isn't like the first viewing when those things came out of nowhere and completely took you by surprise.

As I said a couple of times before, I really want to see this in high definition and the new edit by Ruggero Deodato and I wonder if it will have more impact with the greater detail and clearer soundtracks.

Bringer Of Funerals 6th May 2011 07:03 PM

I just hope Ruggero takes a decent amount of time with it rather then throwing it together in 20 mins and saying "oh that will do. Fans will buy it anyway"

A Lucas type of trick

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 03:41 PM

Shameless have heard from the BBFC this very day and the long edition of Cannibal Holocaust (i.e. not the new edit from Deodato) has been passed with just 15 seconds of cuts* from the BBFC to the aforementioned muskrat scene!

Rather than just cutting the scene, Shameless have kept the audio and simply replaced the visual footage with alternative shots so the running time is as originally submitted. This will make the cut "seamless" as opposed to jarring jump-cut.

Although expected after the BBFC's earlier advice to Shameless, this is a real milestone for UK film classification and Cannibal Holocaust and is being celebrated up in Shameless Towers!

Watch this space for more Cannibal Holocaust news in the coming weeks, including what the BBFC has to say on Deodato's new edit!

*While the original BBFC advice stated 14 seconds of cuts, this was only a rough estimate and was not calculated frame-to-frame. 15 seconds is the correct timeframe.

If you want to share this great news on t'interweb you can use this link: http://cult-labs.com/a/cannibalbbfcdecision

nekromantik 9th May 2011 03:47 PM

WOW
awesome news!!!!

Cant wait to find out about the new cut!

zcarstheme 9th May 2011 03:51 PM

Wow. I really never thought I'd see the day. Gobsmacked.
Haven't seen CH in years; the one I saw was a millionth generation pirated VHS which had been Frankenstein-ed together out of various different versions, and every time something really unpleasant was about to happen the film tinted green (spliced in from a *much* worse quality uncut version).
I've never felt the desire to watch the film again, for all the expected reasons, but am genuinely amazed to see it being released in this country with all (but one) of the 'green bits' (as I shall always think of them) in place..

Daemonia 9th May 2011 03:52 PM

That's quite a milestone for the BBFC! Quite staggering, in fact. Good on Shamelesss for pursuing this title!

So, I'm still curious, will this change people's view of the film, as this means that the BBFC do not consider the treatment of the animals to be cruel (muskrat aside)?

nekromantik 9th May 2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 149279)
That's quite a milestone for the BBFC! Quite staggering, in fact. Good on Shamelesss for pursuing this title!

So, I'm still curious, will this change people's view of the film, as this means that the BBFC do not consider the treatment of the animals to be cruel (muskrat aside)?

Well I doubt what the BBFC think will influence people on such a subject.
People will always have views that they strongly stick by on topics such as that.

PaulD 9th May 2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 149275)
*[I]While the original BBFC advice stated 14 seconds of cuts, this was only a rough estimate and was not calculated frame-to-frame. 15 seconds is the correct timeframe.

Unacceptable. Sorry, but 14 seconds was fine but 15? No way am I going near this! Disgraceful!

:)

Seriously though, that's incredible. Uber-props to both Shameless and the BBFC for doing everything they can to bring an as-near-as-uncut-as-possible version of this film. It really is quite a monumental decision and excellent news for cult fans everywhere! :clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 04:02 PM

I think I said somewhere earlier in this thread that I didn't expect the full BBFC classification committee to go against the decision made by the advisory committee, but I didn't quite believe it myself!

This release will be groundbreaking for Cannibal Holocaust, horror films and film classification/censorship in Britain. This was certainly a bold move by Shameless and one that could have misfired badly, but they may have sensed something was changing at Soho Square and it was definitely worth pursuing this title.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 04:38 PM

I had my doubts whether the BBFC would take on board the advisory committee's recommendation for the 14 seconds of cuts, but this, as others have said is a true milestone in British censorship history! :clap:

hallo37 9th May 2011 04:40 PM

Excellent news, will definitely buy this. I still think the turtle scene is far worse than the muskrat!:tongue1:

graydzero 9th May 2011 05:04 PM

Well done guys, a very impressive step against censorship and me the big wimp gets to be hypocritical and only see the "ok" animal cruelty.

To play devil's advocate, a great number of the old western movies that are now classic employed a huge amount of cruelty to the horses and yet because it is not explicitly portrayed, it has the veneer and sheen of everything being "ok", this being before the days of regulation in regard to animals on film sets, when a horse was tripped up by a strung lasso, this was not a special effect, a horse would have actually been tripped up, often times these animals would break their legs and have to be put down.

Just thought it would be an interesting consideration within the discussion of this inarguably controversial, yet fundamental and important piece of film-making, that I honestly believe, spawned the the modern pseudo documentary shockers that do so well at the box office.

Without Cannibal Holocaust, there is no Blair Witch, or Paranormal Activity, ( I am sure there is an example I am missing that even predates Cannibal Holocaust ).

This is in some ways a happy compromise, but a compromise nonetheless.

Congratulations.

bigandya 9th May 2011 05:34 PM

I'm incredulous. As someone who's sat in Crown Court with a Barrister and tried to (unsuccessfully) defend my own copy of an uncut Cannibal Holocaust which had to be viewed in its entirety (although the judge ordered it to be screened on "fast forward"), to think this will now be up there in HMV pretty much next to an uncut Caligula and not far from an uncut Salo.... its out of this world.

15 seconds of muskrat ripping.... and the judge never once commented on that scene.

I wonder if there will be a Daily Mail backlash. The Cons are in power after all....

Bringer Of Funerals 9th May 2011 05:45 PM

@Big

Did they just pull you in from the street after you bought it lol, can you explain how you came to be in court?

Other then that it's brilliant news that CH is getting an official release with just 15 seconds gone. Do you think that the BBFC think oh god not this film again im sick of seeing it. Bring something else in for a change

platostotal 9th May 2011 05:47 PM

amazing news

this is nothing short of staggering, wonder if they took the stance that the film maker stated that the muskrat was killed for no reason, unlike the turtle,monkey and pig that were to be killed and eaten anyway, surely this means other stuff can now be submitted, just realized that makes me sound ghoulish, just that I went thru the 80's VRA cut and ban everything in sight, so anything that pushes that into history is fine by me, still feel sorry for the turtle tho, and I did say on another thread I would back flip and swim the channel under water if just the muskrat scene would be trimmed, so as i back flip my way to dover a rousing thank you to Shameless, tho the tabloids will have a pop, who cares...we'll be watching easily deodato's best film, really great news, now wheres my trunks?

bigandya 9th May 2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 149304)
@Big

Did they just pull you in from the street after you bought it lol, can you explain how you came to be in court?

Other then that it's brilliant news that CH is getting an official release with just 15 seconds gone. Do you think that the BBFC think oh god not this film again im sick of seeing it. Bring something else in for a change

1990 - found guilty of trading in obscene publications, namely videotapes.

It was a very different time. I was on trial - and pleaded guilty. But then my films were on trial under Section 3, and I either got them back or they got forfeited. Being a student I got legal aid, so I defended them all the way to Crown Court. Funniest memory was watching The Worm Eaters with the judge scratching his head - the police had selected that tape as "particularly obscene". I'm sure they meant the movie on the end which I think was an Italian mondo which never got watched.

I cannot believe CH - which gave me a lot of grief at the time - is now going to be so widely available virtually uncut. Amazing!

Sarah@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigandya (Post 149300)
I wonder if there will be a Daily Mail backlash. The Cons are in power after all....

Let them... It's all free publicity for us... ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 149342)
Let them... It's all free publicity for us... ;)

You can just see the headlines...

'Shameless made my son dismember, skin, and eat his pet turtle!'

;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:10 PM

I bet that's a great story for parties and public film screenings, bigandya. If I had a criminal record, I'd like it to be something as weird, wonderful and interesting is that!

What looks do you get when potential employers ask if you have a criminal record or when they look at the detail as you've put on the application form?

P-Mac 9th May 2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigandya (Post 149319)
1990 - found guilty of trading in obscene publications, namely videotapes.

It was a very different time. I was on trial - and pleaded guilty. But then my films were on trial under Section 3, and I either got them back or they got forfeited. Being a student I got legal aid, so I defended them all the way to Crown Court. Funniest memory was watching The Worm Eaters with the judge scratching his head - the police had selected that tape as "particularly obscene". I'm sure they meant the movie on the end which I think was an Italian mondo which never got watched.

I cannot believe CH - which gave me a lot of grief at the time - is now going to be so widely available virtually uncut. Amazing!

You know, I've told my friends that I would happily go to court and defend horror films if the powers that be tried to ban modern movies, like Mark Kermode predicts will probably happen again one day. I'd easily win, I have the ultimate weapon... Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship and Videotape :D!

When I saw the Cult Labs post on Facebook, I thought it was passed uncut, but considering the audio will be intact but the sequence will be replaced by alternative footage, it reminds me of the pre-release version of Caligula.

It's a great move forward in terms of film classification, but we have a long way to go yet. Still, I'll probably buy this!

antmumford 9th May 2011 08:42 PM

Monumental to say the least. Congrats to everyone involved

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:45 PM

Well spank my ass and call me Judy! This is truly astounding news. I think a lot of people were very skepitcal about the film only recieving 14/15 secs of cuts, but amazingly it's happened. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 149367)
Well spank my ass and call me Judy!

That's a new one to me. I much prefer Lt George from Blackadder Goes Forth: 'Well, cover me in eggs and flour and bake me for 40 minutes!'