Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Cannibal Holocaust (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The BBFC Advice & Decision (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/cannibal-holocaust/5260-sham031-sham201-cannibal-holocaust-bbfc-advice-decision.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149369)
That's a new one to me. I much prefer Lt George from Blackadder Goes Forth: 'Well, cover me in eggs and flour and bake me for 40 minutes!'

:lol: That was Jon Lovitz when he guest starred in Friends. Just my way of announcing how amazed I am at this news.

platostotal 9th May 2011 09:21 PM

or more in-line with this thread "well call me a turtle and serve me up raw with a side order of monkey"

bigandya 9th May 2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149354)
I bet that's a great story for parties and public film screenings, bigandya. If I had a criminal record, I'd like it to be something as weird, wonderful and interesting is that!

What looks do you get when potential employers ask if you have a criminal record or when they look at the detail as you've put on the application form?

Its been ... interesting, shall we say :)

I was telling Ian McCulloch once how I successfully defended Zombie Flesh Eaters in Court (that was one we had to watch that the judge couldn't believe the cops thought was obscene) and he was very impressed. Gave me a free 10x8 and signed it "Congratulations!"

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2011 11:23 PM

JESUS H CHRIST! 15 SECONDS OF CUTS? :eek:

Incredible indeed!

Thanks for sharing that Andy.It's cool you defended your videos,and as for the 'law'-what a ****ing waste of taxpayer's money.Tossers.:mmph:

Daemonia 10th May 2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graydzero (Post 149294)
To play devil's advocate, a great number of the old western movies that are now classic employed a huge amount of cruelty to the horses and yet because it is not explicitly portrayed, it has the veneer and sheen of everything being "ok", this being before the days of regulation in regard to animals on film sets, when a horse was tripped up by a strung lasso, this was not a special effect, a horse would have actually been tripped up, often times these animals would break their legs and have to be put down.

And when the BBFC are aware of horse tripping, they cut it. Quite a few of the old westerns have been trimmed by the BBFC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149354)
If I had a criminal record, I'd like it to be something as weird, wonderful and interesting is that!

Well...ahem...I was arrested at Stonehenge '85 for trying to start an illegal rock festival. Me and two mates....and we didn't even have any instruments! LOL!

But I digress... :focus:

trouserpress 10th May 2011 06:44 AM

Anyone planning to see the new cut at Cine Excess in a couple of weeks? They're having a live debate between Deodato and the BBFC. Should be cool.

BioZombie 10th May 2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 149402)
Anyone planning to see the new cut at Cine Excess in a couple of weeks? They're having a live debate between Deodato and the BBFC. Should be cool.

I will be there, really looking forward to it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

I can't make it, but that is a fascinating idea -- it should be filmed and, if it is interesting as I expect it to be, would make a great extra feature on the BD/DVD.

Mojo 10th May 2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149410)
I can't make it, but that is a fascinating idea -- it should be filmed and, if it is interesting as I expect it to be, would make a great extra feature on the BD/DVD.

It certainly would. It would be interesting to hear the BBFC's stance on previously troublesome horror movies today. They're attitude certainly seems to be shifting rapidly - and kudos to them for that.

We've certainly come a long way from the days of Ferman, who not only was a dreadful BBFC head, but was also extremely secretive into the bargain. The stupid old git :loco:

Bringer Of Funerals 10th May 2011 09:19 AM

Ferman was probably thinking I remember back in the day when people saw Gone With The Wind, Ben Hur and Dracula (1931) at the cinema. Those were the days - none of this hardcore violence, i'm going to see if we can get back to them days by me cutting everything violent

Daemonia 10th May 2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 149418)
Ferman was probably thinking I remember back in the day when people saw Gone With The Wind, Ben Hur and Dracula (1931) at the cinema. Those were the days - none of this hardcore violence, i'm going to see if we can get back to them days by me cutting everything violent

Actually, in an old interview, Ferman said he joined the BBFC so that he'd never have to watch a censored film ever again, after suffering censorship of his own films. Then became the most notorious censor in British film history. Go figure.

platostotal 10th May 2011 10:51 AM

remember when ferman thought he would make 'henry' a better movie by re-editing it himself, ha ha ha, alright it was just the one scene, but still, ha ha ha, what a twonk.

mr 420 10th May 2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 149275)
Shameless have heard from the BBFC this very day and the long edition of Cannibal Holocaust (i.e. not the new edit from Deodato) has been passed with just 15 seconds of cuts* from the BBFC to the aforementioned muskrat scene!

Rather than just cutting the scene, Shameless have kept the audio and simply replaced the visual footage with alternative shots so the running time is as originally submitted. This will make the cut "seamless" as opposed to jarring jump-cut.

Although expected after the BBFC's earlier advice to Shameless, this is a real milestone for UK film classification and Cannibal Holocaust and is being celebrated up in Shameless Towers!

Watch this space for more Cannibal Holocaust news in the coming weeks, including what the BBFC has to say on Deodato's new edit!

*While the original BBFC advice stated 14 seconds of cuts, this was only a rough estimate and was not calculated frame-to-frame. 15 seconds is the correct timeframe.

If you want to share this great news on t'interweb you can use this link: SHAM031/SHAM201 - Cannibal Holocaust: The BBFC Advice & Decision - Page 18 - Cult Labs

That noise you can hear is Mary Whitehouse boring her way to the centre of the earth at 75,000 rpm!:lol::woot:

hallo37 10th May 2011 11:23 AM

Just my personal view but I think Cannibal Holocaust has had a bit of a reputation make-over in recent years - critics no longer regard it as a trashy video nasty as it was in the 1980's...just my own opinion! I personally think apart from the animal killings it's a very good film, brutal but good.

I can't believe James Ferman was opposed to censorship...the man who treated the BBFC as his own personal editing suite, the man who would only pass 'Ai No Corrida' because the 'right' sort of people would only see it. What hypocrisy.

Mojo 10th May 2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 149427)
Actually, in an old interview, Ferman said he joined the BBFC so that he'd never have to watch a censored film ever again, after suffering censorship of his own films. Then became the most notorious censor in British film history. Go figure.

Just goes to show what a hypocrite he was.

Daemonia 10th May 2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 149448)
Just goes to show what a hypocrite he was.

And so was his predecessor, John Trevelyan, who had stakes in private film clubs across London. He'd deliberately reject films that were too 'racey' and would then pass them over to his own film clubs, which didn't require these films to be certificated to show them.

Trevelyan also famously once said 'If it turns me on, it goes', or words to that effect. The BBFC should have been disbanded at the same time as the Lord Chamberlain's Office that oversaw decency in the theatre.

Sarah@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 02:56 PM

The full details are now up on the BBFC website for you to enjoy!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 149505)
The full details are now up on the BBFC website for you to enjoy!

I love the line where it says GENRE(S): DRAMA -- drama?

dream demon 10th May 2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallo37 (Post 149446)
Just my personal view but I think Cannibal Holocaust has had a bit of a reputation make-over in recent years - critics no longer regard it as a trashy video nasty as it was in the 1980's...just my own opinion! I personally think apart from the animal killings it's a very good film, brutal but good.

I can't believe James Ferman was opposed to censorship...the man who treated the BBFC as his own personal editing suite, the man who would only pass 'Ai No Corrida' because the 'right' sort of people would only see it. What hypocrisy.

I seem to remember a quote from back in the time TCM was banned; basically it went something along the lines of 'it's okay for educated cinephiles in London to see it, but what if a plumber in Leeds was to see it' :crazy: . Quite obviously us proles were just too stupid to 'understand' such things and needed to be protected from ourselves. :mmph:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 08:14 PM

This is indeed a landmark decision.Cut or not.
When you compare it to the Vipco release,it is truly gobsmacking.
The BBFC I have to say have come a long way recently....

Wonder if Deodato's HOUSE will fare as well.......:eyebrows:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 149610)
This is indeed a landmark decision.Cut or not.
When you compare it to the Vipco release,it is truly gobsmacking.
The BBFC I have to say have come a long way recently....

Wonder if Deodato's HOUSE will fare as well.......:eyebrows:

Coincidentally, I watched House by the Edge of the Park last night and think it might do quite well in Soho Square as the rape/sex scene isn't so much a woman starting to like it, but a woman feeling sorry for the guy and seemingly suffering a little of Stockholm Syndrome. The scene I feel will be the most trouble is the one with Cindy but that is so repellent there is no way they could convincingly argue it would titillate, just like the scenes of sexual violence and rape in Cannibal Holocaust.

Sorry for the digression -- back on topic!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th May 2011 08:42 PM

Well,here's hoping.....

nekromantik 10th May 2011 10:12 PM

I hope we soon get more info on the new Deadato cut!

platostotal 11th May 2011 12:31 AM

i know it won't happen but it would be cool if Shameless could hunt down kerman, pirkanan and the italian cast to see how they feel about the film being as highly thought of as it is today.

masdawg 11th May 2011 12:34 AM

Quote:

I would really love to go, but I have a feeling I won't make it :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 149410)

I've been thinking this since I found out Deodato would be appearing at Cine-Excess, before I even knew about the discussion. I think this, in it's entirety would make such a great extra for the Shameless release! It would be something no other release had - new information on Deodato and how he approached the new cut, as well as a very interesting discussion on how the BBFC now view the film, etc. I think that this would be great information for a lot people who are considering buying this but may already have numerous uncut copies - these kind of extras could really persuade people to buy!

Is there anyone who knows for certain if this event will be recorded? Is there anyone at Shameless or on Cult-Labs who could help organise such a thing? I, am I'm sure others, would be forever grateful! :pray:

Daemonia 11th May 2011 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 149711)
i know it won't happen but it would be cool if Shameless could hunt down kerman, pirkanan and the italian cast to see how they feel about the film being as highly thought of as it is today.

They were pretty much all tracked down and interviewed for the Grindhouse release of some years back. If for no other reason, the extras on the Grindhouse release alone make it worth picking up, even if you don't like the film. I wonder what extras will grace the Shameless release?

masdawg 11th May 2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 149716)
They were pretty much all tracked down and interviewed for the Grindhouse release of some years back. If for no other reason, the extras on the Grindhouse release alone make it worth picking up, even if you don't like the film. I wonder what extras will grace the Shameless release?

Robert Kerman and Carl Gabriel Yorke were interviewed extensively on the Grindhouse release and they had some great stories to tell - even with the interviews running for 36 mins and 51 mins, I find them very interesting viewing.
I would love if it was possible to track down any of the other three stars (Francesca Ciardi, Perry Pirkanen, Luca Barbareschi) to get their memories of filming and thoughts on the film and it's status 30 years on - do they abhor the film? Do they regret being a part of it and why/why not? Do they think the film should have disappeared a long time ago or does it deserve it cult status, even today? I would love to hear their thoughts on things like this, as this is still still a film which strongly divides people and I'd love to hear what the other actors still remember from the shoot 30 years later and how they, being involved in the film themselves, see it as a whole.

Pete 11th May 2011 01:21 AM

Barbareschi appears on the making of documentary that is on the italian and US releases and Francesca Ciradi made several appearences last year at various events in London, Glasgow, Edinburgh (where I met her and she was great) and the USA. The only one who hasn't been tracked down is Perry Pirkanen. Or maybe he has but doesn't want to talk.

masdawg 11th May 2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 149718)
Barbareschi appears on the making of documentary and Francesca Ciardi made several appearences last year at various events in London, Glasgow, Edinburgh (where I met her and she was great) and the USA. The only one who hasn't been tracked down is Perry Pirkanen. Or maybe he has but doesn't want to talk.

Oh, my bad on Barbareschi - I havn't watched the discs in quite a while! Yeah, I see Francesca has appeared at a few events lately, which may mean that she would be willing to be interviewed for the disc? It would be great to get some thoughts from her available on a disc for those who havn't heard her views at events :nod:

Pete 11th May 2011 01:43 PM

Full detailed explanation of the bbfc's decision has been posted on their site:

Title « British Board of Film Classification

Sarah@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 149795)

Thanks for posting this, Pete! :)

necroluciferia 11th May 2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 149795)

That's a very extensive explanation for the BBFC website, and think it's fair to say they have considered things very thoroughly. The point about the tarantula being acceptable to kill on screen as it is an invertebrate interested me - I hadn't thought about that, but was a similar case with the squid scene in Oldboy. Not sure I agree that the film could be construed as 'racist', I think the fact it portrays the natives as being very much victimised by the Yanks (as pointed out in the write-up) shows the film to be quite the opposite.

Quote:

The 2001 decision to cut these scenes was primarily the result of the disgusting and exploitative nature of the sequences, as well as the history of the film as a DPP-listed 'video nasty', rather than the result of a strict application of BBFC policy.
Think that's almost certainly true, and refreshing to see the BBFC admit to this! Overall, I think even with 15 seconds of cuts, this a pretty big step forward for the BBFC :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 02:27 PM

There's some fascinating reading there although, if you haven't seen the film, I'd avoid it as there are major plot spoilers. It will be of great interest to those who have an academic or keen interest in film censorship.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 04:51 PM

Ok folks, what am I not seeing on the BBFC site? I can't find this detailed explanation.

robertzombie 11th May 2011 05:01 PM

Same here :S

Pete 11th May 2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 149845)
Ok folks, what am I not seeing on the BBFC site? I can't find this detailed explanation.

It's been removed for some reason.

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 149850)
It's been removed for some reason.

Cheers Pete. Very strange.

platostotal 11th May 2011 05:44 PM

i'll third that, tho i'm on my phone so might need full browser, but as manuel would say "I see nothing" or "que?".

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2011 06:15 PM

How odd -- the link used to take it to the site with a blow by blow analysis of the film and the more contentious issues describing why they were left in with an 18 certificate, why a 15 certificate wasn't sufficient and various other discussion points. Perhaps it's been moved or temporarily taken down as the link just redirects to the main Cannibal Holocaust ratings page.

PaulD 11th May 2011 06:18 PM

It wasn't this case study was it?