Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Censorship (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Censorship (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/censorship/499-censorship.html)

James Morton 29th September 2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 276861)
I was always amazed SWEENEY 2 never got an 'X' in the first place as I always thought the first film deserved an AA more & that remains an '18' on dvd.

both films should be a 15 on dvd
madness at the BBFC as usual

Wes 30th September 2012 06:41 PM

Things are getting better though... remember back in the 90's when ITV would redub films with cuss words, so Bill Paxton's "**** You asshole!" in Terminator became "Get outa here disco dude", while Bruce Willis' Yippee ki-yay, mother****er, in Die Hard was changed to "Yippee ki-yay kemo sabe"

(While previewing this post I noticed the cuss words are rubbed out :shocked: )

SimonT 30th September 2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 277472)
Things are getting better though... remember back in the 90's when ITV would redub films with cuss words, so Bill Paxton's "**** You asshole!" in Terminator became "Get outa here disco dude", while Bruce Willis' Yippee ki-yay, mother****er, in Die Hard was changed to "Yippee ki-yay kemo sabe"

(While previewing this post I noticed the cuss words are rubbed out :shocked: )

Just dropping out of lurk mode to respond to this.

As I recall, Terminator was shown on BBC2 and "F### You Asshole" became "Eat This Scum" (as he prepared to stick him with a flick knife).

I seem to recall Die Hard had all the "F" words removed, but the "S" words remained.

Similarly, "Aliens" "F###" became "Sh1t" and Hudson's (Bill Paxton) line as he shoved his gun in Carter Burke's face became "Lets grease this rat FAT son of a bitch", and as I recall it was the same guy over dubbing the swear words for all the marines, so there voices would all inexplicably change mid sentence.

Best one was when ITV showed Robocop, "Asshole" became "Airhead", "F### Me" became "Fly Me" and Clarence Bodiker drove AROUND the guy who'd been dumped in the acid vat.

You'd never believe they did such things nowadays!

platostotal 30th September 2012 07:58 PM

Harry Enfield did a sketch on his show back in the day, 2 gangsters talk in overdubbed gibberish replacing the swearing, at the end a voice-over says "This film has been especially ruined for you by the BBC"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th September 2012 10:36 PM

I first saw Robocop on TV and, in the scene where Murphy is shot and Clarence takes a shotgun to his hand, that bit was cut. In this cut version, you saw Clarence point a shotgun in the direction of Murphy's head and hand, pull the trigger with Murphy screaming followed by a shot of his face covered in blood.

Until I saw it uncut on video, I was under the impression that Murphy had been shot in the head and somehow survived!

PaulD 30th September 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 277551)
I first saw Robocop on TV and, in the scene where Murphy is shot and Clarence takes a shotgun to his hand, that bit was cut. In this cut version, you saw Clarence point a shotgun in the direction of Murphy's head and hand, pull the trigger with Murphy screaming followed by a shot of his face covered in blood.

Until I saw it uncut on video, I was under the impression that Murphy had been shot in the head and somehow survived!

Same here! I had it recorded off ITV when I was about 13. I only got round to seeing the full version when I was about 20 and was shocked at how violent it was

Make Them Die Slowly 30th September 2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 277558)
Same here! I had it recorded off ITV when I was about 13. I only got round to seeing the full version when I was about 20 and was shocked at how violent it was

I had a similar experience with "Black Christmas" and how violent the language was in the phone calls in the uncut version, not the nice version I saw on TV years before.

Wes 1st October 2012 06:25 PM

Still though, thanks to the BBFC and their cutting, it made the first few outlaw years of DVD the best film watching era of my life as I was finally getting to see uncut R1 versions of Re-Animator, Hellraiser II, Zombie Flesh Easters, The Beyond and so on and banned stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre... For a VHS-era guy like me, it's just...well, no fun, seeing BBFC-blessed New York Ripper and Last House on the Left in HMV ! I mean back in the 90's no one could see a day when that could happen... :crazy:

Rik 1st October 2012 09:05 PM

Which film was it with the infamous melonfarmers dub, Commando? The Beverly Hills Cops films on TV were my favourite dubbed films, Rosewood in Part 2 saying "oh f-damn" when in the cement mixer being the best worst dubbing

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st October 2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 277897)
Which film was it with the infamous melonfarmers dub, Commando? The Beverly Hills Cops films on TV were my favourite dubbed films, Rosewood in Part 2 saying "oh f-damn" when in the cement mixer being the best worst dubbing

The Melonfarmers dub was Repo Man.