Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Crime & Thriller
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree919Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2015, 07:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
We could go on a tour of our own pasts and ghosts via the streets of Manchester, featuring soap stars, musicians and kitchen sink drama filtered through personal thoughts and confessions. It would be pretty face.

I'd have to remember them first, some will be along the lines of, "this is where I sat on the floor in Debenhams for three hours as mum shopped".
Old 20th April 2015, 07:29 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I'd have to remember them first, some will be along the lines of, "this is where I sat on the floor in Debenhams for three hours as mum shopped".
My greatest memories would be gigs especially Boredoms, Oblivians and Royal Trux. However I have been known to pop into the odd supermarket to add a dash of realism into my life.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th April 2015, 08:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
My greatest memories would be gigs especially Boredoms, Oblivians and Royal Trux. However I have been known to pop into the odd supermarket to add a dash of realism into my life.
I feel like I've not seen as many bands n Manchester but my teens were spent going to gigs, just my early twenties I mainly saw bands in Morecambe or just can't remember, friends bands, Apart from Goblin I think one of the last bands were Q and not U.
Old 20th April 2015, 08:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
I feel like I've not seen as many bands n Manchester but my teens were spent going to gigs, just my early twenties I mainly saw bands in Morecambe or just can't remember, friends bands, Apart from Goblin I think one of the last bands were Q and not U.
I was at Goblin in Manchester, I was the one man in the audience without a beard. It has only been over the last couple of years that I stopped going to gigs mainly as fashions change, and I don't!

I am off to London in the summer to see Reigning Sound. I actually get excited when I think of it. Something that doesn't happen with most music these days.
Old 20th April 2015, 09:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I was at Goblin in Manchester, I was the one man in the audience without a beard. It has only been over the last couple of years that I stopped going to gigs mainly as fashions change, and I don't!

I am off to London in the summer to see Reigning Sound. I actually get excited when I think of it. Something that doesn't happen with most music these days.
I vaguely remember beards although I'd forgotten my glasses as I rarely wear them even though I can't see jack. Last concert in London must have been Alice Cooper over ten years ago. I really don't get out much
Old 30th April 2015, 06:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Maltese Falcon

A recent re-watch,and such a wonderful film,I can't choose between this or the Big Sleep as my fave Bogey.Also watched Michael Winners remake of The big Sleep which he claims is closer to novel,not having read it I can't say,but a fairly good Winner movie (which is something I thought id never say) with Mitchum shuffling around London and what must of been James Stewarts last movies,apparently Joan Collins got the Dynasty because of her part in the film.

Old 21st May 2015, 08:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default noir mode

Been looking at some titles anyone have an opinion on these two?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81W2wN8WuzS._SL1500_.jpg (95.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 81--elA+O1L._SL1500_.jpg (92.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 21st May 2015, 08:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Been looking at some titles anyone have an opinion on these two?
I've never seen Quicksand, but Fear in the Night is really good.
Old 21st May 2015, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen Quicksand, but Fear in the Night is really good.
Cheers BE,Quicksand has an interesting cast Peter Lorre and Mickey Rooney,and Fear in the Night does sound very good.

Old 21st May 2015, 08:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Cheers BE,Quicksand has an interesting cast Peter Lorre and Mickey Rooney,and Fear in the Night does sound very good.
Yeah, it's quite an unconventional Noir in many respects - a little surreal and nightmarish in places. It's one of the better ones I've seen from the era, and I've seen a fair few.

The director adapted the film from a novella by Cornell Woolrich titled 'Nightmare', which funnily enough he adapted for film again (this time actually calling it Nightmare) nine years later:

Not sure if you've seen Nightmare, but it plays off the same plot idea as Fear in the Night.

Like this? Share it using the links below!