Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1298Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2018, 03:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gam...tch-here-s-why

Google’s NEW games console won’t rival PlayStation, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch - here's why
GOOGLE plans to soon enter the console market - but can it really compete with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo?

Google’s NEW games console won’t rival PlayStation, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch - here's whyDS

Google's rumoured new videogames console is apparently in the works, and it could shake up the console industry in a big way.

Dubbed the Google 'Yeti', the games console would work by streaming games from a server, so you will buy games to instantly stream them over the internet rather than have to download the huge files before play.

It will allow gamers to access, presumably, a wide range of hit titles within a matter of seconds as you’ll be playing them via a web connection on a Google server rather than physically having to download the title to your machine.

There are fears that this console will rival the likes of the Nintendo Switch, the PS4 and the Xbox One, but if history repeats itself, the 'big three' may not have that much to worry about.

Games streaming has traditionally been a fairly doomed endeavour, with the likes of services like Ouya, OnLive and PS Now never really taking off.

Google will have to do something very different indeed if it wants to penetrate the streaming games market.

The suggestion that Google's new device may not catch on comes from the limited success of the Nvidia Shield.

The Shield markets itself as "The best 4K HDR streaming media player with built-in Google Cast and voice search" which allows you to "Play Android games. Stream PC games. Listen to music" and more.

So if Google is aiming to release a console where all the games would be streamed (similar to the way the TV add-on Chromecast works, but for games), it may want to look at the Nvidia Shield and figure out why that hasn't captured mainstream imaginations.

The NVIDIA Shield has been out for over a year now, but very few people have heard of it, and the library of games it supports (all on Android) doesn't have the pull of a Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo-exclusive title.

So if Google is planning on releasing the 'Yeti' and wants a lion's share of the gaming market, it's going to either have to offer something other than simply streaming games, and it's also going to have to feature a proper killer app.

Google raised eyebrows last month after hiring games industry veteran Phil Harrison.

He's taking up the role of vice president and general manager at the internet beast's California headquarters.

Harrison is best known for a 15-year tenure as head of Sony's network of game studios. He was vital to the development of the PlayStation console brand.

In addition, harrison also spent three years as a senior executive at Microsoft's Xbox team.

So he knows more than a bit about gaming and the habits of console players.

Harrison recently announced on Twitter: “Excited to be able to share that today I’ve started a new role as Vice President and GM of Google - and relocating (back) to California."

And industry experts believe that Google is secretly planning to unveil a new gaming division to rival Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo.

Highly respected tech journalist Dean Takahashi, of Venturebeat, said:

"I think that it’s a good time to start speculating about what’s coming in the future, and a number of people I know in the game industry are already doing that.

"Harrison is the sort of figure who could marshal Google’s resources and enable it to enter the game console business.

"I don’t know if that is happening, but that would be a delightful rumor to try to confirm.

"I interviewed Harrison last year at the Gamelab event in Spain. Since he was on the sidelines of the console wars, he wasn’t shy about sharing his opinions on what was happening in the competition among the major game platform companies.

“When I asked him about the broader game platform companies — like Amazon, Google, and Apple — Harrison said, 'I’m excited about the future. I’m enormously bullish about the future of games, mainly because now we don’t have to explain what this is anymore. There’s an understanding of games among the wider population
profondo rosso likes this.

Last edited by gag; 18th February 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 23rd February 2018, 04:50 PM
Cult Addict

Replaying FFXV, currently at the Chocobo farm; I ****ing love Chocobos

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 27th February 2018, 04:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've been playing a lot of Need For Speed Rivals over the last few days. It's really fun. Made by ex-Criterion employees, it's an arcade racer where you can play as either the police or racers. I think this was the PS4's first racing game? Would highly recommend it to anyone that likes Burnout games or the Criterion made Need For Speed titles. This'll keep me happy until Burnout Paradise Remastered is available at a decent price.
gag and bleakshaun like this.
Old 27th February 2018, 05:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I've been playing a lot of Need For Speed Rivals over the last few days. It's really fun. Made by ex-Criterion employees, it's an arcade racer where you can play as either the police or racers. I think this was the PS4's first racing game? Would highly recommend it to anyone that likes Burnout games or the Criterion made Need For Speed titles. This'll keep me happy until Burnout Paradise Remastered is available at a decent price.
Like stuff like that and Burnout use to play the crash destruction bit with my son a lot and see who can Get the biggest carnage and score most points.
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 27th February 2018, 09:25 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

maxresdefault.jpg

Playing this on VR so addictive and vibrant with lots of beautiful colours.
Old 27th February 2018, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finished star wars battlefront 2 campaign. The game looks fantastic but found the level structure very liner and the story was ok but was really expecting it to go into the forming of the new order. Was nice playing as Han etc though Luke looked a bit strange and ran like he had shit his pants. Liked the new ship combat.

Also been playing

Kingdom come deliverance
Dragon ball z fighters
Dragon ball xenoverse
Old 3rd March 2018, 05:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Currently playing Darksider 2 after completing the first one 3 times. I'm 60+ hours into the second one and finishing up by getting all of the collectibles. still looking for a similar replacement game after it's finished, as this game is fantastic.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been playing red dead redemption on the Xbox one, it looks a lot better than I remember and puts a few next gen games to same.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 6th March 2018, 10:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Been playing red dead redemption on the Xbox one, it looks a lot better than I remember and puts a few next gen games to same.
I started playing this but gave up on it. No idea why, because I was in love with it. Might play it again after Darksiders 2 is completed.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

been playing Mario Odyssey and Skyrim both on the switch.

Mario once again shows how no one can't produce games like Nintendo and Miyamoto is basically a gaming god. Be a dark day for gaming when he retires.
bleakshaun likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th March 2018 at 09:08 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!