Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Justin101 21st February 2017 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Treb, this is one of the nicest Steelbooks I've seen, I'm not usually a fan but this one is nice :D

platostotal 21st February 2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 522035)
Married with Children is a great series. I have been watching it for the last couple of months and just coming up to season 8.

MWC contains one of the very funniest moments I've ever seen, it's when Al Bundy reads his list of ways Marcy can be made more attractive to men and is just sublime and Amanda Bearse as Marcy plays it perfectly, on first viewing I almost wet myself with laughter, have no idea whereabouts in the series it is but it's a true highlight.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st February 2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 522122)
MWC contains one of the very funniest moments I've ever seen, it's when Al Bundy reads his list of ways Marcy can be made more attractive to men and is just sublime and Amanda Bearse as Marcy plays it perfectly, on first viewing I almost wet myself with laughter, have no idea whereabouts in the series it is but it's a true highlight.

I've never seen Married with Children and have very little idea of the character dynamics in the scene, but I must admit it's pretty damn funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoreJCc1v0

Boo Radley 21st February 2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522124)
I've never seen Married with Children and have very little idea of the character dynamics in the scene, but I must admit it's pretty damn funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoreJCc1v0

Al Bundy is one of my hero's in life. :hail::hail:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st February 2017 07:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
BTW-For anyone who missed the TT release,this has a removable certificate sticker under the cellophane!:cool:

Nordicdusk 21st February 2017 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 187366

€1.50 in onefiftyland ;)

Susan Foreman 22nd February 2017 12:31 PM

Likely to be housebound between now and the end of the month, so I doubt if there will be any new additions

In view of that, February's purchases were:

Charity Shop:
Captain America - DVD - I now have everything from the first wave of MCU films - £1:00
Alice In Wonderland - DVD - Tim Burton version - £1:00
Downfall - 2 disc DVD - £1:00
Feast Trilogy - £1:00
The Great Game/Miss Tulip Stays The Night - BFI Films Diana Dors double feature - £1:00
Cars - Pixar films - DVD & Blu-Ray (although the DVD had been taken out of the box, and so it was just the Blu-Ray version) - £1:00
Puppet Master - 88Films DVD - £1:00

Fopp
Slice And Dice - 88Films slasher documentary - 2 disc - £7:00

CEX
Teenage Hooker Became A Killing Machine - With a title like that, how can you go wrong? - £1.50
Sleepaway Camp 3 - 88Films Blu-Ray - £7:99
Tales Of Halloween - Arrow Films - £3:50
Corman's World - Blu-Ray - £3:00
The Last American Virgin - Arrow Films - Blu-Ray & DVD - £7:00
Status Quo: Hello Quo - 2 Disc Blu-Ray - Anchor Bay - £6:00
Reckless - Arrow DVD - £1:50

HMV
Society - Arrow DVD - £5:99
The Story Of O - (Early) Arrow DVD - I was surprised to see this on general sale in HMV. It's a pre-white cover version, catalogue no: FDC 092 [The first white cover release - 'Sleepless' was FDC 375] - £5:99, but both the above titles were in the 2 for £10 sale
Absurd - 88Films DVD - £12:99
Beyond The Darkness - 88Films DVD - £12:99, but both the above titles were int he 2 for £20 sale

Poundland
Bad Teacher - Blu-Ray - £1:00
My Week With Marilyn - Blu-Ray - £1:00
13 Sins - DVD £1:00

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd February 2017 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 522210)
My Week With Marilyn - Blu-Ray - £1:00

Brilliant film. Great price for a blu. :pop2:

SymbioticFunction 22nd February 2017 04:48 PM

Bought 2 films from HMV today. The Burning and Broadway Danny Rose - two polar opposites of movie viewing! Will be fun to revisit both classic films, I haven't seen them for several years.. :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 22nd February 2017 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A trio of new Powerhouse Films/Indicator discs today. They're hitting it out of the ballpark with their releases.

Attachment 187381

MuckyFunster 22nd February 2017 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cooooool lookin' steely!

Attachment 187382

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buboven 22nd February 2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522097)
Thanks Treb, this is one of the nicest Steelbooks I've seen, I'm not usually a fan but this one is nice :D

I got my copy at hmm but have found scratches on it, doubt they will let me return it, and don't have the receipt anymore.

In my opinion the glossy plastic finish make sit seem a little cheap.

iank 22nd February 2017 10:05 PM

Arrived:

http://images3.static-bluray.com/mov...382_medium.jpg

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 11:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Syndicate Sadists arrived from 88 Films today. Call me mad, but I prefer the Italian art on the slip and reverse.

Attachment 187395Attachment 187396

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 522415)
Syndicate Sadists arrived from 88 Films today. Call me mad, but I prefer the Italian art on the slip and reverse.

Attachment 187395Attachment 187396

I also received this and prefer the Italian art. It arrived in the same package as The Mighty Peking Man, which has the most brilliant artwork – I'll post some pictures shortly.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 02:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522424)
I also received this and prefer the Italian art. It arrived in the same package as The Mighty Peking Man, which has the most brilliant artwork – I'll post some pictures shortly.

I've preordered Killer Constable from the 88 Films' website and used skull points to take £10 off the total. These two beauties arrived today as well, posted first class yesterday:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 02:27 PM

Mighty Peking Man is a bit of a gem.

I've had the region one dvd for years and have seen it quite a few times.

Had there been extra features i might have double dipped.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522430)

I haven't seen either before.

Frankenhooker 24th February 2017 03:10 PM

Just picked up The Ninja Trilogy for £10 in a charity shop. Winning.

Inspector Abberline 24th February 2017 04:43 PM

Blu-ray

5 Attachment(s)
Blu-ray

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 04:48 PM

What Have You Bought Recently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522430)

A commentary from the legend, Bey Logan, is not too bad. Sure, it would've been nice to get more extras, but I haven't seen the film before, so it'll be a first time dip for me.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 522463)
A commentary from the legend, Bey Logan, is not too bad. Sure, it would've been nice to get more extras, but I haven't seen the film before, so it'll be a first time dip for me.

If you like written material, the first 300 units have a booklet written by Calum Waddell.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522465)
If you like written material, the first 300 units have a booklet written by Calum Waddell.

16 pages on third world water supply problems is it?

Sorry...couldn't resist.:laugh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522476)
16 pages on third world water supply problems is it?

Sorry...couldn't resist.:laugh:

I'm 99% sure it is all relevant to the film and Asian cinema, with some good pictures to go with the text.

Boo Radley 24th February 2017 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last week or two's acquisitions. There's quite a few things I need to get but it's Mrs Boo and Junior Boo's birthdays which has curbed my spending a bit.

Prince_Vajda 24th February 2017 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 08:52 PM

Both have dropped to £10.99 on Amazon/HMV so put in my pre-order:

http://dv1.us/p1/960/261960-d0.jpg http://dv1.us/p1/959/261959-d0.jpg

keirarts 24th February 2017 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple of spaghetti westerns....picked up from wowhd

Attachment 187449 Attachment 187450

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th February 2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 522509)
Both have dropped to £10.99 on Amazon/HMV so put in my pre-order:

Really looking forward to The Magus. I posted some lobby cards ages ago for it and it looked fascinating.

Andra Jai 25th February 2017 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought The Nail Gun Massacre which was delivered in amazons new bomb proof packaging for single blu-rays.

Justin101 25th February 2017 12:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This looks like a spending spree but it's not :lol:

HMV and CEX came to £30 and I got 7 films! Amazed to see one of the rare BD slipcase editions of The Witch so grabbed that immediately. Popped into HMV to buy Shaun of the Dead which was £8.99 or I could buy the whole 'Cornetto Trilogy' for an extra £4 so that was a good buy as well.

Suspiria has arrived from Amazon Italy, just had a look and it's a great transfer, has a 2 channel mono soundtrack and the 5.1 HD DTS both in English or Italian with optional subtitles. The only extra is a 30 minute chat with Dario, it's in Italian with no subs, but seriously, what else is there to say about Suspiria, I still have my 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and the Cine-Excess BD which both have excellent supplements on them. This edition is around £14.00 delivered from Amazon.

The Criterion films were 'free' with a 12 month Empire subscription which cost less than buying the 2 discs.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 12:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals

nosferatu42 25th February 2017 01:02 PM

Some good films there Dem, i really like Alice, the Tenant and Beastmaster.:rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 522564)
Some good films there Dem, i really like Alice, the Tenant and Beastmaster.:rockon:

Thanks, nos.

Oddly enough The Real Blonde was the one i was most happy to get hold of. It's not what you'd call a popular film and i'm sure it's deleted on dvd. I thought it was a real gem when i saw it at the cinema but it became lost in a glut of gore, at least to me, this last ten years.

I've not seen Alice, or The Tenant but The Beastmaster i used to own on vhs, probably cut though. At least this US dvd from Anchor Bay is complete and full of extras.

nosferatu42 25th February 2017 01:45 PM

Never even heard of "The real Blonde."
The Tenant has a lot of the vibe of Rosemarys Baby i thought with the building and it's residents slowly driving Polanski mad.
Alice has some really well shot scenes,a creepy atmosphere and a few decent kills if i remember rightly. Great stuff.:pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522555)
Suspiria has arrived from Amazon Italy, just had a look and it's a great transfer, has a 2 channel mono soundtrack and the 5.1 HD DTS both in English or Italian with optional subtitles. The only extra is a 30 minute chat with Dario, it's in Italian with no subs, but seriously, what else is there to say about Suspiria, I still have my 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and the Cine-Excess BD which both have excellent supplements on them. This edition is around £14.00 delivered from Amazon.

That's great to know. I have ordered it today, but the exchange rates must have changed, because it cost me £15.07.

Justin101 25th February 2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522580)
That's great to know. I have ordered it today, but the exchange rates must have changed, because it cost me £15.07.

I actually have an internet bank account that allows you to pay in any currency without fees so it's always a bit cheaper when buying in a foreign currency. When buying on Amazon and it automatically converts it to £ you click a button that says pay in Euros.

https://monzo.com/ if you're interested, I actually use it daily so I can keep track of my spending, but keep my main Barclays account for my bills etc.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522582)
I actually have an internet bank account that allows you to pay in any currency without fees so it's always a bit cheaper when buying in a foreign currency. When buying on Amazon and it automatically converts it to £ you click a button that says pay in Euros.

https://monzo.com/ if you're interested, I actually use it daily so I can keep track of my spending, but keep my main Barclays account for my bills etc.

I'll look into – thanks. I don't know if I do enough shopping in currencies other than sterling to warrant another bank account, but it might be worth it if it saves me a quid or do every now and again.

Justin101 25th February 2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522584)
I'll look into – thanks. I don't know if I do enough shopping in currencies other than sterling to warrant another bank account, but it might be worth it if it saves me a quid or do every now and again.

I use it more of a budgeting tool, I'll transfer over x-amount from my main account, and that's how much I'm allowed to spend on Lattes, Books and BDs. It helped me save for Japan! It also saved me money while there because I could take money out of the cash point at the best exchange rate possible.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522565)
Thanks, nos.

Oddly enough The Real Blonde was the one i was most happy to get hold of. It's not what you'd call a popular film and i'm sure it's deleted on dvd. I thought it was a real gem when i saw it at the cinema but it became lost in a glut of gore, at least to me, this last ten years.

I've not seen Alice, or The Tenant but The Beastmaster i used to own on vhs, probably cut though. At least this US dvd from Anchor Bay is complete and full of extras.

I haven't seen The Real Blonde or The Beastmaster, but will add them to my 'to watch' list. If you're a fan of Polanski's psychological thrillers/horrors, you're in for a treat with The Tenant.