Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 23rd January 2023 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 244428

Arrived from Amazon and they actually sent me an extra copy of Eyeball :lol:

SymbioticFunction 23rd January 2023 01:41 PM

Scandinavian blu-ray of Dario Argento's Giallo arrived. Has better PQ than my Italian bd, lossless English surround sound and no forced Italian subtitles for the Japanese dialogue in the opening minutes (much to my surprise, those bits actually have English subtitles on this print, wasn't expecting that). This is a sizable upgrade. Will watch on Thursday and am actually looking forward to it. lol :)

Dave Boy 23rd January 2023 02:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cheap CEX pick ups..

Attachment 244429 Attachment 244430 Attachment 244431 Attachment 244432

Nuno_Miranda 23rd January 2023 03:01 PM

This arrived today. I knew of Doris Wishman, even although I had only watched a rather bad copy of "Nude on the Moon" (1961). I'm very much looking forward to watching the other five, which I had only read about. Not particularly a fan of sexploitation per se, these offerings are especially interesting for the nudist camp aspect of it.

"The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection" feeds another of my passions, 3D movies, and being able to watch immaculate restorations by the 3-D Film Archive of these is a real treat! :)

EDIT: I find myself re-reading the above and chuckling. I sound like a teen (of yesterday) saying "I read Playboy for the articles!" and it's true that the nudity is easy on the eyes, of course, but not the main reason for purchasing these. This kind of picture has a certain nostalgic innocence that I find rather appealing, more "vintage Disneyland" than "oh, naked women!". So there you are :D

https://i.imgur.com/0TqtVaz.jpg

iank 23rd January 2023 08:07 PM

Whatever you say, Nuno. We believe you. :rockon::tongue1::laugh:

Nuno_Miranda 23rd January 2023 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 681066)
Whatever you say, Nuno. We believe you. :rockon::tongue1::laugh:

:lol:

MrBarlow 24th January 2023 10:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up these today

Attachment 244434 Attachment 244435

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2023 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just arrived from Mr.Barlow. What a gent! :thankingyou:

Never seen it before, some great viewing to look forward to this weekend.

Just noticed. The cover spells Loomis' name incorrectly.

trebor8273 24th January 2023 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived today.

iank 25th January 2023 12:15 AM

Arrived:

https://images2.static-bluray.com/mo...515_medium.jpg

Demoncrat 25th January 2023 09:22 AM

Picked up a Inside No 9 set (first two series). £2. Immaculate. UK dvds.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 05:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This week's new arrivals. Two Eureka titles from Amazon and Return of the Living Dead steel book from Cex this afternoon.

J Harker 28th January 2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681252)
This week's new arrivals. Two Eureka titles from Amazon and Return of the Living Dead steel book from Cex this afternoon.

Nice find on the RoLD steel Dem. I'm fact excellent purchases altogether, I have that Day of the Outlaw disc. Brilliant film and an excellent blu ray. Love The Vikings too though I've yet to pick it up.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681254)
Nice find on the RoLD steel Dem. I'm fact excellent purchases altogether, I have that Day of the Outlaw disc. Brilliant film and an excellent blu ray. Love The Vikings too though I've yet to pick it up.

Thanks.

I can now retire my dvds of Day of the Outlaw and The Vikings. The Vikings sold itself to me with the blurb saying it was a stunning presentation or words to that effect.

I've decided this year will be my mission to pick up as many Eureka titles as i can that i want as they go out of print with no fanfare and that's that. Flight of the Phoenix being a case in point.

J Harker 28th January 2023 06:29 PM

I used to find Eureka had excellent if only sporadic sales. Now they're usually no better than what Amazon charge normally.
I occasionally pick a title up in CEX.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681256)
I used to find Eureka had excellent if only sporadic sales. Now they're usually no better than what Amazon charge normally.
I occasionally pick a title up in CEX.

Last years sales were a waste of time as far as Eureka were concerned.

Demoncrat 28th January 2023 06:40 PM

A few things

Black Magic Rites (Redemption) dvd
G O Thrones S4 UK dvd set
Tower Block UK BD
The Eiger Sanction UK dvd
Ryan's Daughter UK 2 discer
Dog Soldiers/Who'll Stop The Rain UK dvd (the Nick Nolte flick)
One Down Two To Go UK dvd

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 681258)
A few things

The Eiger Sanction UK dvd

The Eiger Sanction. Excellent, D. One of Clint's more unheralded films but for me a terrific thriller.

Clint did all the climbing and stunts for himself in this one. Let that sink in when you see him grappling with one of the most dangerous climbs in the Alps.

Today it would be half a bullshit green screen cartoon and the crew wouldn't have left the back lot at Universal. Blu-ray has really brought the magic of real film making to life and seeing all these older films is pure joy. The ones made today look so fake.

Demoncrat 28th January 2023 09:03 PM

It's up there with The Beguiled and HPD for me for his oddest 70s output ...

g053584398 28th January 2023 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681261)
The Eiger Sanction. Excellent, D. One of Clint's more unheralded films but for me a terrific thriller.

Clint did all the climbing and stunts for himself in this one. Let that sink in when you see him grappling with one of the most dangerous climbs in the Alps.

Today it would be half a bullshit green screen cartoon and the crew wouldn't have left the back lot at Universal. Blu-ray has really brought the magic of real film making to life and seeing all these older films is pure joy. The ones made today look so fake.

It really is a great thriller and one of my favourite Clint Eastwood films. As you say, if made today the majority of the climbing scenes would be created using green-screen and CGI. Modern Hollywood misses the point entirely.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 681268)
It's up there with The Beguiled and HPD for me for his oddest 70s output ...

Speaking of oddly. All three are in the same Blu-ray box set i got soon after getting the player in 2021.

Coogan's Bluff, Joe Kidd, Play Misty, Sister Sara and Breezy (A real gem i'd never seen before) are the others by the way.

g053584398 28th January 2023 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681271)
Speaking of oddly. All three are in the same Blu-ray box set i got soon after getting the player in 2021.

Coogan's Bluff, Joe Kidd, Play Misty, Sister Sara and Breezy (A real gem i'd never seen before) are the others by the way.

That 8-film Clint Eastwood Blu-ray set is a very fine one. I picked up the Scandinavian set instead of the UK one, because I found it cheaper, but I believe that the discs are identical.

Over the past couple of years I've picked up loads of Clint Blu-rays from Amazon Germany such as True Crime, City Heat, The Gauntlet, The Rookie, A Perfect World and probably quite a few others that I can't immediately recall.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 681272)
That 8-film Clint Eastwood Blu-ray set is a very fine one. I picked up the Scandinavian set instead of the UK one, because I found it cheaper, but I believe that the discs are identical.

Over the past couple of years I've picked up loads of Clint Blu-rays from Amazon Germany such as True Crime, City Heat, The Gauntlet, The Rookie, A Perfect World and probably quite a few others that I can't immediately recall.

Finding the eight film set at cheaper than twenty quid is practically giving it away. :lol:

A Perfect World is of huge interest. It's 12 euros delivered. Thanks for mentioning.

To use Amazon Germany do you have to create a new account for them or does your UK one work to sign in with.

Edit - Tried it. It does. Pity gift card amounts aren't transferred either. My CC is maxed out at the moment.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th January 2023 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Eiger Sanction is on BBC tonight, so will be on the iPlayer for a while. As Dem said, it's a terrific film with one of Clint Eastwood's best action roles.

I bought Ad Astra cheap from a seller on eBay. I've seen it a couple of times and it seems to improve with repeated viewings, so I'm interested to see what a third viewing will bring, especially with better AV quality than when I've seen it previously.

g053584398 29th January 2023 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681273)
Finding the eight film set at cheaper than twenty quid is practically giving it away. :lol:

A Perfect World is of huge interest. It's 12 euros delivered. Thanks for mentioning.

To use Amazon Germany do you have to create a new account for them or does your UK one work to sign in with.

Edit - Tried it. It does. Pity gift card amounts aren't transferred either. My CC is maxed out at the moment.

I think I got hold of my copy for about a tenner! I agree with your point though.

To use any of Amazon's international stores you just login with your existing Amazon UK email address and password.

I picked up A Perfect World for around four quid in one of the many promotions that Amazon Germany have. I paid similar amounts for all of the other Clint Eastwood Blu-rays that I purchased from them.

g053584398 29th January 2023 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 681275)
The Eiger Sanction is on BBC tonight, so will be on the iPlayer for a while. As Dem said, it's a terrific film with one of Clint Eastwood's best action roles.

I bought Ad Astra cheap from a seller on eBay. I've seen it a couple of times and it seems to improve with repeated viewings, so I'm interested to see what a third viewing will bring, especially with better AV quality than when I've seen it previously.

I noticed that The Eiger Sanction was on TV myself when channel surfing the other night. The first time that I ever watched the film was via a TV broadcast.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2023 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 681292)
I noticed that The Eiger Sanction was on TV myself when channel surfing the other night. The first time that I ever watched the film was via a TV broadcast.

Same here.

J Harker 29th January 2023 06:58 PM

There's loads of Clint films I haven't seen. He's an actor i really had no time for once.

g053584398 29th January 2023 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681306)
There's loads of Clint films I haven't seen. He's an actor i really had no time for once.

I really enjoy his films, as both actor and director. When you think about it he's had one of the most remarkable careers in the history of cinema. The word legend is one of the most overused, and inappropriately used, words in the English language; but Clint Eastwood is one of the most iconic and legendary figures in cinema.

J Harker 29th January 2023 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 681310)
I really enjoy his films, as both actor and director. When you think about it he's had one of the most remarkable careers in the history of cinema. The word legend is one of the most overused, and inappropriately used, words in the English language; but Clint Eastwood is one of the most iconic and legendary figures in cinema.

Oh I don't disagree now. I'm older and find myself appreciating sides of cinema and actors I never did. I've a lot to catch up on. Michael Caine for instance is another actor I never liked but now appreciate far more. And no it has bugger all to do with Christopher Nolan.
The turnaround with Clint was probably catching up with the Dollars Trilogy, specifically The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, in my mid twenties.
I think age makes you appreciate age.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2023 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 681310)

I don't think Clint has ever been in a genuinely poor film.

I would say he hasn't directed one either but i haven't seen Hereafter, Richard Jewell, Jersey Boys, J.Edgar or The 15:17 to Paris so can't say definitively on that front.

Anyone who hasn't seen Cry Macho really should do. It's fantastic. There's no Blu-ray over here but you can grab the dvd for a fiver nowadays.

J Harker 29th January 2023 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681317)

I would say he hasn't directed one either but i haven't seen Hereafter, Richard Jewell, Jersey Boys, J.Edgar or The 15:17 to Paris so can't say definitively on that front.

Anyone who hasn't seen Cry Macho really should do. It's fantastic. There's no Blu-ray over here but you can grab the dvd for a fiver nowadays.

My favourite Clint always revolves between TGTBTU, Josey Wales or Dirty Harry.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

g053584398 29th January 2023 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681317)

I haven't seen Cry Macho yet, but I almost bought it a couple of weeks ago in one of Amazon Germany's Blu-ray promotions. In the end I ordered several other titles instead, although it is one that I'll probably pick up during a future promotion.

g053584398 29th January 2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681318)
My favourite Clint always revolves between TGTBTU, Josey Wales or Dirty Harry.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and The Outlaw Josey Wales are fantastic films I agree.

g053584398 29th January 2023 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681311)
Oh I don't disagree now. I'm older and find myself appreciating sides of cinema and actors I never did. I've a lot to catch up on. Michael Caine for instance is another actor I never liked but now appreciate far more. And no it has bugger all to do with Christopher Nolan.
The turnaround with Clint was probably catching up with the Dollars Trilogy, specifically The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, in my mid twenties.
I think age makes you appreciate age.

I'm love Michael Caine's films as well. I've managed to pick up quite a few on Blu-ray.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 681321)
I'm love Michael Caine's films as well. I've managed to pick up quite a few on Blu-ray.

Now Michael Caine has made some poor films. Those two Harry Palmer films Bullet to Beijing and Midnight in St Petersburg really sullied the character. The Magus and The Island as well. They were dire.

There are also way too many for me to ever watch, also a hell of a lot i don't wish to watch either. Too many small parts in bigger films whereas Clint was always the star.

g053584398 29th January 2023 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681325)
Now Michael Caine has made some poor films. Those two Harry Palmer films Bullet to Beijing and Midnight in St Petersburg really sullied the character. The Magus as well. That was dire.

There are also way too many for me to ever watch, also a hell of a lot i don't wish to watch either. Too many small parts in bigger films whereas Clint was always the star.

The Magus was a fantastic piece of cinema!

J Harker 29th January 2023 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681325)
Now Michael Caine has made some poor films. Those two Harry Palmer films Bullet to Beijing and Midnight in St Petersburg really sullied the character. The Magus and The Island as well. They were dire.

Is The Magus no good Dem? I've had that one on my wishlist for ages.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2023 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 681326)
The Magus was a fantastic piece of cinema!

You are the only person i've heard of that likes it.

Even Caine said it was shit.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681327)
Is The Magus no good Dem? I've had that one on my wishlist for ages.

I bought the dual format release a few years ago. So disappointing. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Reading into it at the time nobody liked it. Caine and co-star Candice Bergen hated it