Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 29th January 2023 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681329)
I bought the dual format release a few years ago. So disappointing. Couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Reading into it at the time nobody liked it. Caine and co-star Candice Bergen hated it

Well that's odd. For some reason I thought it was your review had got it on my wishlist. Though its been on there for years.

Edit: - definitely not the case. Your review, both times made it clear the film was dire.

J Harker 29th January 2023 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681325)
Now Michael Caine has made some poor films. Those two Harry Palmer films Bullet to Beijing and Midnight in St Petersburg really sullied the character. The Magus and The Island as well. They were dire.

There are also way too many for me to ever watch, also a hell of a lot i don't wish to watch either. Too many small parts in bigger films whereas Clint was always the star.

To be clear here old Maurice Micklewhite is merely an example of an actor I once had no time for that now I have plenty of time for. I'm not saying everything he's been involved in is gold. Eastwood, well again I can't say, I've not been overly disappointed so far but I've many many films to catch up on. One I recall thinking was awful is the one he did with Burt Reynolds. City Heat is it???
I suppose old Burt is another example, although I still can't say I'm a huge fan.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th January 2023 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681335)
To be clear here old Maurice Micklewhite is merely an example of an actor I once had no time for that now I have plenty of time for. I'm not saying everything he's been involved in is gold. Eastwood, well again I can't say, I've not been overly disappointed so far but I've many many films to catch up on. One I recall thinking was awful is the one he did with Burt Reynolds. City Heat is it???
I suppose old Burt is another example, although I still can't say I'm a huge fan.

The Caine stuff was a reply to g053584398's post.

City Heat isn't great but it does have it's moments. It's not a genuinely poor film.

I've no desire to pick it up on Blu-ray that's for sure.

Nordicdusk 30th January 2023 02:01 PM

So apparently I bought Four Flies On Grey Velvet again :lol:

When my original order arrived along with Eyeball I also got an extra copy of Eyeball and now today I just got an extra copy of Four Flies :lol:

On top of this Amazon have refunded me money because the price dropped from my original order :lol:

I have no idea what's going on here.

MrBarlow 30th January 2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 681342)
So apparently I bought Four Flies On Grey Velvet again :lol:

When my original order arrived along with Eyeball I also got an extra copy of Eyeball and now today I just got an extra copy of Four Flies :lol:

On top of this Amazon have refunded me money because the price dropped from my original order :lol:

I have no idea what's going on here.

It's not like Amazon to give a BOGOF deal :lol:

Nordicdusk 30th January 2023 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 681356)
It's not like Amazon to give a BOGOF deal :lol:

Took me ages to get around to buying Four Flies and now I have two :lol:

g053584398 30th January 2023 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681327)
Is The Magus no good Dem? I've had that one on my wishlist for ages.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

I would say that it is one of the most wonderfully enigmatic films that I've ever seen. It is very well shot as well and features some wonderful locations. It is a film that really makes you think.

But like Jess Franco's films for example, it won't be to everyone's taste. Although I'm not comparing it to any of Uncle Jess' films, just to be clear!

Dave Boy 31st January 2023 03:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some cheap Blu ray from CEX..

Attachment 244522 Attachment 244523 Attachment 244524

Nuno_Miranda 31st January 2023 04:32 PM

New arrivals:

"The Raven" is an upgrade, one of my favourite Price films, plus Karloff and Lorre! what's not to love? :loveeyes:

"Dr. Terror's House of Horrors"
is another upgrade for my Cushing collection, thanks to a great tip from @Demdike to a website where it was on sale!

"Forbidden Fruit #3: Unashamed (1938) & Elysia (1933)". Of the two, I had only watched Elysia and it is wonderful, hopefully this will be a better transfer. I've always been very curious about Unashamed and it also includes a commentary. Plus three rare shorts! It's a whole weekend right there :)

https://i.imgur.com/TJwY3Dg.jpg

Justin101 31st January 2023 05:08 PM

From Amazon because they were sold out of them in my local HMV by lunchtime yesterday!

https://i.ibb.co/SxFB88Q/7-AE3-CA58-...C556498099.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st February 2023 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up on dvd from Asda for a fiver. (It's £9.99 on Amazon and HMV).

I was going to order the Blu at £12.99 this week as i really want to see this new British horror film but i couldn't say no at £5. If i love it i can sell it straight away and order the Blu when it drops in price and if i hate it i can get rid of it immediately and will probably get my money back from Cex.

Whatever that's this Saturday night's film sorted.

MuckyFunster 1st February 2023 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
£6 and tree fitty from CeX.

Attachment 244544

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Harker 2nd February 2023 10:23 AM

Does anyone use one of those movie cataloging apps or programs that they would recommend?

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd February 2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681440)
Does anyone use one of those movie cataloging apps or programs that they would recommend?

I used to use Dvd Aficionado but got fed up with it. I catalogued all my Network, Gialli and Doctor Who and then couldn't be arsed with the rest.

I can imagine stuff like that being okay when you are starting out but not when you already have a collection in the thousands that needs doing.

J Harker 2nd February 2023 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681441)
I used to use Dvd Aficionado but got fed up with it. I catalogued all my Network, Gialli and Doctor Who and then couldn't be arsed with the rest.

I can imagine stuff like that being okay when you are starting out but not when you already have a collection in the thousands that needs doing.

I used to use one when we had a PC in the house. Can't remember what it was called. There's a few apps I've come across I could use on my tablet but they either seek rubbish or cost.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd February 2023 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought these Disney 4K Ultra HD releases from eBay. A seller is doing a 'buy four, get 15% off' promotion and they were all around the £4-£5 mark, so good additions to my collection.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2023 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of cheap Cex purchases.

J Harker 3rd February 2023 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681517)
A couple of cheap Cex purchases.

I really couldn't get on with Valkyrie. Just got nothing from it, didn't even finish it if I recall.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2023 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681520)
I really couldn't get on with Valkyrie. Just got nothing from it, didn't even finish it if I recall.

Interesting. I must have seen it at least four or five times on dvd.

Nordicdusk 3rd February 2023 08:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 244570 Attachment 244571 Attachment 244572 Attachment 244573 Attachment 244574

A gift from my mother of all people he is pretty amazing.

J Harker 3rd February 2023 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 681525)
Attachment 244570 Attachment 244571 Attachment 244572 Attachment 244573 Attachment 244574

A gift from my mother of all people he is pretty amazing.

He's awesome Nord.

Nordicdusk 3rd February 2023 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681533)
He's awesome Nord.

I love him and the voice is so cool even one of them is his Good Guys voice :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2023 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This week's new arrivals.

MrBarlow 4th February 2023 02:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Arrived today

Attachment 244586

Surprised HMV shipped these together, they usually ship items separately but I ain't complaining.

After reviewing this last weekend, got informed there was a nice Blu-Ray available on Amazon.

Attachment 244587

Nuno_Miranda 4th February 2023 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681440)

I've used Movie Collector (http://collectorz.com) for years and years, and it is extremely configurable and allows for all the options from special features to commentaries to specific screen ratios etc etc etc. Highly recommended. There is also a companion mobile app and you can send a link to your collection so any friend can see it online (with a password).

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th February 2023 10:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
These two arrived this week: 12 Monkeys was a bargain on eBay to upgrade the Arrow Video Blu-ray release I have and will now sell, and Deep Red from the Arrow website.

I haven't looked at 12 Monkeys yet, but I checked out the opening scene of Deep Red and the picture quality is outstanding, with lush, rich colours, deep contrast levels, and far more detail than the impressive Blu-ray release.

Justin101 6th February 2023 01:17 PM

A couple from HMV. Had the Elm Street doc on pre-order from Amazon but they haven’t even charged me for it yet, so cancelled and bought in store, replacing the DVDs.

https://i.ibb.co/8PvMHD8/2-B945-CA4-...-D35-D39-D.jpg

MrBarlow 7th February 2023 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up these today.

Attachment 244625

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 681643)
Picked up these today.

Attachment 244625

My 'like' is for Deep Red. ;)

MrBarlow 7th February 2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681644)
My 'like' is for Deep Red. ;)

So far its not disappointing. :pop2:

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2023 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 681647)
So far its not disappointing. :pop2:

Wait until you watch The f*cking Goonies. That's when the disappointment sets in. :lol:

That even though HMV gave it you for free when you bought Deep Red , it's still crap!

Nordicdusk 7th February 2023 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681648)
Wait until you watch The f*cking Goonies. That's when the disappointment sets in. :lol:

That even though HMV gave it you for free when you bought Deep Red , it's still crap!

:pound::pound::pound:

MrBarlow 7th February 2023 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681648)

I have seen it a few times and its one the Mrs enjoys, thought you would have been a big fan of 80s child adventure films

J Harker 7th February 2023 02:13 PM

Yeah. What's wrong with The Goonies Dem??

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2023 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 681654)
Yeah. What's wrong with The Goonies Dem??

Absolutely nothing! It's a wonderful film for those who saw it and fell in love with it aged five.

The one time i saw it, it was ruined by a bunch of hideous f*cking kids screaming and shouting all the way through it.

And i don't mean the audience.

J Harker 7th February 2023 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681655)
Absolutely nothing! It's a wonderful film for those who saw it and fell in love with it aged five.

The one time i saw it, it was ruined by a bunch of hideous f*cking kids screaming and shouting all the way through it.

[emoji1787]
I never liked it when I was a kid.

Nordicdusk 7th February 2023 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 681655)

I love the Goonies beacuse it's a feel good film for me reminds of when I was a kid and happy instead of the old miserable bastard I am now :lol:

Dave Boy 7th February 2023 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New release pick up from HMV today. Awesome cover art!

Attachment 244627

Justin101 7th February 2023 04:20 PM

I might watch The Goonies tonight in defiance. I also have it in 4k lol. Love it, and Cyndi Lauper doing the theme song as well great.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2023 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 681662)
I might watch The Goonies tonight in defiance. I also have it in 4k lol. Love it, and Cyndi Lauper doing the theme song as well great.

Only seems to be me who detests it.

Although i'd be interested were you to review it and say what's so good about it other than "i saw it as a kid and loved it."