Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

fuzzymctiger 24th May 2012 10:43 AM

OK, The optimum Mulholland Dr. DVD, part of the David Lynch collection, has the most BLOODY USELESS SCENE SELECTION SCREEN IN HISTORY!!!!

PaulD 24th May 2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 244412)
OK, The optimum Mulholland Dr. DVD, part of the David Lynch collection, has the most BLOODY USELESS SCENE SELECTION SCREEN IN HISTORY!!!!

Ooh, in what way? I know Lynch isn't a fan of scene selection in his films, wanting people to only be able to watch it from start to end, so would be interested to see if this is relevant.

I'm sure the initial dvd release didn't have scene selection, or the option to pause or something.

fuzzymctiger 24th May 2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244414)
Ooh, in what way? I know Lynch isn't a fan of scene selection in his films, wanting people to only be able to watch it from start to end, so would be interested to see if this is relevant.

I'm sure the initial dvd release didn't have scene selection, or the option to pause or something.

Alright, you can't scene skip in the movie, and the scene selection has 2 pages, both screen caps of a room, and you highlight objects, and you have no idea what scene you're picking, in fact, I didn't even try any of them!

I'll have a try once I'm finished.

PaulD 24th May 2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 244416)
Alright, you can't scene skip in the movie, and the scene selection has 2 pages, both screen caps of a room, and you highlight objects, and you have no idea what scene you're picking, in fact, I didn't even try any of them!

Haha! Bloody brilliant! Oh David Lynch, you madcap genius you.

I genuinely quite like that

Daemonia 24th May 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 244275)
Or... You could just buy 2 Toshiba BDX1200's as they're only £50 each, that way you'll be futureproofed for many years to come.

Or save myself £100 and buy a load of films instead. :lol:

(And knowing my luck the back-up player would be faulty and I wouldn't find out until a few years down the road when I get it out the box)

Unforunately, with the current status of my finances, I haven't got a spare £100. As I say, I'll hold off until multi-region Blu players become the norm. And I'm sure they will, once China gets in on the act. You see, China has been denied the patenting rights to Blu-ray, because Sony and the other giants on the BDA know that once China gets in on the act they'll make players for half the price and make them hackable. Just look at what happened with DVD. You can now buy dirt cheap DVD players that are easily made multi-region. They didn't want the same thing to happen with BD. This, I think, is mostly because Fox and MGM were adamant that BD should have strict region coding policies in place. This is why they never ventured into HD DVD, as it was essentially a region-free format. Fox have have been the most hard headed about this. And yet they've probably released the fewest titles (along with MGM) onto BD than any other major studio. :crazy:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th May 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 244416)

Perfectly sums up David Lynch! Inland Empire doesn't have any scene selections or chapter marks so you have to watch the three-hour film in one go. The last time I did, there were two brief power cuts which were enough to knock off the PS3 so I have to use the scan button to get to where I was – the second one occurred over two hours through, so took a while to get there and find the right place.

PaulD 24th May 2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 244446)
Perfectly sums up David Lynch! Inland Empire doesn't have any scene selections or chapter marks so you have to watch the three-hour film in one go. The last time I did, there were two brief power cuts which were enough to knock off the PS3 so I have to use the scan button to get to where I was – the second one occurred over two hours through, so took a while to get there and find the right place.

That incident proves Lynch wrong as far as I can see. He wants you to watch the film interrupted, without breaks and without you having to go back to it, which is perfectly fine and the way any film should be seen as far as I am concerned. However, if Inland Empire had scene selection then when the power cut had happened you'd have been able to get back to your previous point in the film a lot quicker (while still maintaining the feel and emotion of the film a lot more) without having to tediously scan through every few seconds of the film

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th May 2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 244449)
That incident proves Lynch wrong as far as I can see. He wants you to watch the film interrupted, without breaks and without you having to go back to it, which is perfectly fine and the way any film should be seen as far as I am concerned. However, if Inland Empire had scene selection then when the power cut had happened you'd have been able to get back to your previous point in the film a lot quicker (while still maintaining the feel and emotion of the film a lot more) without having to tediously scan through every few seconds of the film

That's a good point, but fortunately the PS3 can scan very quickly so it only took a couple of minutes to go past the two-hour mark and find where I was so, all in all, I think the break was about five minutes and not much emotion was lost in the process. Even if there were chapter selections, they would be fairly large and still take a while to find what I was watching before the power went.

Pete 24th May 2012 03:28 PM

Just ordered these two:

http://dv1.us/p1/440/077440-d0.jpghttp://b.dv1.us/p1/445/115445-d1.jpg

'RAIN OF FIRE' is actually Alberto De Martino's HOLOCAUST 2000. I believe this edition is in 1.85:1 rather than it's proper 'scope ratio but it was cheap.

Paul@TheOverlook 24th May 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 244471)
Just ordered these two:

http://dv1.us/p1/440/077440-d0.jpghttp://b.dv1.us/p1/445/115445-d1.jpg

'RAIN OF FIRE' is actually Alberto De Martino's HOLOCAUST 2000. I believe this edition is in 1.85:1 rather than it's proper 'scope ratio but it was cheap.

Correct on both counts, mate.

Don't think there's a scope print out anywhere and a compromised ratio is better than fullscreen ;)