Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 24th July 2012 12:14 PM

Just got my first Raro title, Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man - got my eye on a bunch of their stuff . . .

PaulD 24th July 2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 259808)
Just got my first Raro title, Live Like A Cop, Die Like A Man - got my eye on a bunch of their stuff . . .

Is that DVD or bluray?

Slippery Jack 24th July 2012 12:19 PM

DVD. Shit, they didn't reaease it on Blu also did they :doh: . . . ?

PaulD 24th July 2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 259815)
DVD. Shit, they didn't reaease it on Blu also did they :doh: . . . ?

No, I don't think so. They do seem to have a habit of re-releasing their titles on bluray after a while, which is why I'm reluctant to splash out on any SD releases of theirs.

James Morton 24th July 2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 259791)
May I try?

Firstly and most importantly - it's unutterably boring! it goes on forever spewing out scene after unmemorable scene. Russell Crowe is just a dreadful presence on screen. And the whole time I wanted to be watching Spartacus or The Vikings or even a cheesy peplum so I could have some fun rather than sit through yet another dreary, po-faced attempt by Ridley Scott to seem as talented and important as Stanley Kubrick.

I thought Gladiator was a pretty looking disaster.

I agree with you - Oladiator was boring and Russel Crowe is crap anyway
an arrogant Aussie

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th July 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 259819)
I agree with you - Oladiator was boring and Russel Crowe is crap anyway
an arrogant Aussie

I think Gladiator is an excellent film, superbly designed and realised with quality direction and one of Russell Crowe's finest performances (his best is in The Insider) and a film I could watch almost any time.

Oh, and Russell Crowe is a New Zealander!

g053584398 24th July 2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 259744)
Unlikable characters, hypocritical heroins, dull action sequences, flimsy choregraphy, bad acting in places and just a general feeling of being half baked. Sorry but I just can't stand the hype around it.

You shouldn't consider hype when you watch any film. The quality of the film itself should be of paramount concern, and Gladiator is a very well made film, with a wonderful soundtrack from perhaps one of the greatest composers working in cinema today, exciting and extremely well stages action sequences and a downbeat ending.

Modern Hollywood produces little in the way of engaging entertainment these days and yet Gladiator is sort of a throw back to better times, when films didn't need, and were not allowed, to be filled with profanity and pointless sex scenes.

g053584398 24th July 2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 259791)
May I try?

Firstly and most importantly - it's unutterably boring! it goes on forever spewing out scene after unmemorable scene. Russell Crowe is just a dreadful presence on screen. And the whole time I wanted to be watching Spartacus or The Vikings or even a cheesy peplum so I could have some fun rather than sit through yet another dreary, po-faced attempt by Ridley Scott to seem as talented and important as Stanley Kubrick.

I thought Gladiator was a pretty looking disaster.

I'm amazed that anyone would find Gladiator boring. Then again I'm amazed that there are individuals who enjoy so-called 'reality TV' and soap operas such as Coronation Street, so nothing should surprise me any more.

James Morton 24th July 2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 259836)
I think Gladiator is an excellent film, superbly designed and realised with quality direction and one of Russell Crowe's finest performances (his best is in The Insider) and a film I could watch almost any time.

Oh, and Russell Crowe is a New Zealander!

yeah he is
but moved to Australia as a child - an arrogant New Zealander then!:)
but GLADIATOR is overrated imo

James Morton 24th July 2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 259839)
I'm amazed that anyone would find Gladiator boring. Then again I'm amazed that there are individuals who enjoy so-called 'reality TV' and soap operas such as Coronation Street, so nothing should surprise me any more.

I found GLADIATOR overhyped and boring - yes
I also don't watch soaps and reaity tv - shit