Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

troggi 6th July 2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 351294)
More like "Is that the Pascal Laugier film?" - after all, he's the guy behind the excellent Martyrs. ;)

I liked The Tall Man, but it isn't as good as his last two films by any stretch. It's interesting though; far more commercial than his last two, but it proves that Laugier is a director that has some interesting ideas, and the film goes to places you don't expect. The trailer sells it as a very different film to the one you actually get which I found refreshing.

I can sense the anticipation building, I am now looking forward to seeing it. :)

Delirium 7th July 2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troggi (Post 351297)
I can sense the anticipation building, I am now looking forward to seeing it. :)

I look forward to reading your thoughts, Troggi.

Slippery Jack 7th July 2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 351294)
More like "Is that the Pascal Laugier film?"

Haha, that's what I was about to post, I didn't even know who played the female lead :lol: . I liked half of Martyrs, and remember this got some decent reviews, might give it a go when I get the chance . . .

Zann 7th July 2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 351321)
Haha, that's what I was about to post, I didn't even know who played the female lead :lol: . I liked half of Martyrs, and remember this got some decent reviews, might give it a go when I get the chance . . .

I found Martyrs really depressing. Only watched it once.

Slippery Jack 7th July 2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 351327)
I found Martyrs really depressing. Only watched it once.

Yeah I've only watched it once. The second half put me off :lol: But for the first half I found it a very effective horror: scary, nasty, and very intense :eek: Inside is by far my favourite of that batch of French shockers though . . .

Count Fosco 7th July 2013 10:08 AM

I agree INSIDE was brutally brilliant. Check out the follow-up LIVID. Not a sequel but same creative duo and whilst it has some issues it has a fantastic dreamlike quality in places. Plus a blatant acknowledgement of Dario Argento's 'Three Mothers' trilogy, especially SUSPIRIA, in fact I like to see this film as the superior substitute version of 'Mother of Tears'.

antmumford 7th July 2013 10:10 AM

Popped into Sainsbury's and bought Dredd Blu for £6, bargain when the DVD is £5. Then I found Life of Pi Limited edition Sainsbury exclusive Blu for only £10, absolute bargain for an absolutely fantastic film, the DVD was £11.99, where's the logic? :D

Slippery Jack 7th July 2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Fosco (Post 351330)
Check out the follow-up LIVID.

Yeah I watched that and didn't like it. In fact, it's faded so far in my mind I can't really remember what I didn't like about it :lol: . . .

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th July 2013 10:35 AM

Pardon me for naming the Hollywood star of a film for easy reference rather than the obscure director with only two previous film credits to his name, and only one of which people may have seen.

:D

Slippery Jack 7th July 2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 351335)
Pardon me for naming the Hollywood star of a film for easy reference rather than the obscure director with only two previous film credits to his name, and only one of which people may have seen.

:D

Yeah, this being a horror forum, not E! magazine after all ;) . . .