Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

nekromantik 7th February 2010 07:26 PM

:lol:
in interesting selection

Like the first cover. :thumb:

nekromantik 8th February 2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 61922)
I'll second that! Watched it this afternoon.Yes there are a couple of moments in the film where the contrast and colour is different from previous versions but everyone on the net was talking like it was the end of the world.I can live with it,Suspiria has certainly never looked or sounded better.I could have lived without those extra features though.Film analysis isn't really my thing.Give me a good old fashioned making of anyday.

Ditto :thumb:

antmumford 8th February 2010 08:03 AM

Antichrist (Blu-Ray) - Ok, now this has split the audience right down the middle but I am definitely and firmly placed on the positive side. This was awesome, I loved it. It started off absolutely stunningly and beautifully shot and it didn't get any worse throughout the film. The cinematography was sublime, every shot was like a postcard.... in HD. I could not stop gasping at how beautiful everything looked, it seemed to be just one long dream sequence to me. As I'm sure you have heard some scenes are rather brutal but I feel they were necessary to portray the collapse in the human mind. The acting was nigh on perfect, when Charlotte Gainsbourg cried it completely sank my heart, the emotion that was poured into that performance was breathtaking. You could feel everything she was feeling with the pain and turmoil her character was going through.
Okay I won't carry on and bore you but I really, really loved this. A must own on Blu-Ray me thinks (Thanks Kelly for picking this up for me :D )

Rob Strange 8th February 2010 09:51 AM

I thought it was great too. I genuinely loved the weirdo talking fox.

This was an inventively designed, harrowing and occasionally darkly amusing exploration of guilt, bereavement and the age old 'battle of the sexes'.

Gainsbourg was fearless and outstanding, I thought.

Just watched District 9 on blu. What an exciting, refreshing action film: great concept and thrilling execution, with razor sharp wit. Liked the idea that the main protagonist was a bit of a wally and a shit, despite clearly being the best human of the lot. Very impressed.

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 11:51 AM

Watched District 13:Ultimatum last night.Unfortunately not a patch on the original as far as I was concerned.While there were a few good action sequences in the movie,I felt that the original moved at a faster pace and had more clearly defined vilians in the form of Taha and his right hand man K-2.This one had a corrupt government official and a special forces comrade of Damien as the protaginists and didn't pose much of a threat to our heroes.It's a shame that they didn't bring Leito's sister,Lola back for Ultimatum.

antmumford 8th February 2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 62032)
Watched District 13:Ultimatum last night.Unfortunately not a patch on the original as far as I was concerned.While there were a few good action sequences in the movie,I felt that the original moved at a faster pace and had more clearly defined vilians in the form of Taha and his right hand man K-2.This one had a corrupt government official and a special forces comrade of Damien as the protaginists and didn't pose much of a threat to our heroes.It's a shame that they didn't bring Leito's sister,Lola back for Ultimatum.

I watched District 13 and loved it but I'm yet to get this new one. I think I'll have to get it just to complete the collection but good to see an honest review. It's got a nice cover and I'm a sucker for great packaging too.

mbv 8th February 2010 01:28 PM

got my Suspiria in the post today.

picture quality is great but its the sound for me that stood out. Amazing stuff

I was going on about the pq to my wife and she commented how the colours were blinding her retinas like an episode of CSI Miami :laugh:

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 02:20 PM

It's a technicolor film on crack!

Ken 8th February 2010 02:35 PM

Just bought.

Blood Trails - Lionsgate
Swamp Thing - MGM
Carrie - MGM
The Brood - Arrow
Bloody Birthday - Anchor Bay
Sleepaway Camp - Anchor Bay
Sleepaway Camp 2 - Anchor Bay
Sleepaway Camp 3 - Anchor Bay

Gojirosan 8th February 2010 03:26 PM

Dial:Help arrived (review elsewhere!) and I finally got around to getting Taxi Driver on DVD.

Ordered the German Retrofilm release of Four Flies On Grey Velvet and the UK MGM Tomb Of Ligeia...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 61958)
I hope you didn't shed a tear at the end Reaps.:tongue1:

Nope.
I smothered the missus with the cushing,ripped the fridge freezer out and threw it through the window and ****ed right off outa there....:lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbv (Post 62044)
got my Suspiria in the post today.

picture quality is great but its the sound for me that stood out. Amazing stuff

I was going on about the pq to my wife and she commented how the colours were blinding her retinas like an episode of CSI Miami :laugh:

Brilliant looking transfer.
I can't stress enough to anyone who owns a BR player and hasn't taken the plunge with SUSPIRIA how much they're missing!

I watched THE DESCENT last night and wow,does it look and sound good!:cool:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 07:29 PM

I think I'll be picking up the Suspiria blu in the not too distant future... :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 62075)
Nope. I smothered the missus with the cushing,ripped the fridge freezer out and threw it through the window and ****ed right off outa there....:lol:

Poor missus! :lol:

vincenzo 8th February 2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 62075)
Nope.
I smothered the missus with the cushing,ripped the fridge freezer out and threw it through the window and ****ed right off outa there....:lol:

Reaper P. McMurphy. http://www.gashing.com/smile/charact...racter0013.gif :laugh:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th February 2010 10:01 PM

:lol::lol:

vipco 9th February 2010 12:29 AM

I seen these 3 on offer and was wondering if they were any good both PQ and film ways.

Fri 13th (2009)
Fri 13th 2 (original)
Eden Lake
The Signal

Anyone.?

Philleh 9th February 2010 07:05 AM

Picked up Meserine yesterday :thumb:

antmumford 9th February 2010 07:14 AM

I went to Asda last night and they had a 3 for £9 deal on lot's of DVD's. This is what I picked up for the bargain price of just £18. Result! :thumb:

Rob Zombie's Halloween (Uncut, Director's Cut)
The Pursuit of Happiness
Seven Pounds
Milk
Gran Torino (can you believe it, £3!)
Walled In

I've never heard of Walled In, it's a horror film made last year starring Mischa Barton from OC fame. The reason I picked this up even though there were many other's I'd have liked is because it had an awesome lenticular cover :blush: I'm a real sucker for nice packaging. Let's hope the film doesn't disappoint too much.

antmumford 9th February 2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 62060)

Ordered the German Retrofilm release of Four Flies On Grey Velvet and the UK MGM Tomb Of Ligeia...

Just last year Mya Communication released the full uncut restored version of this "lost film". Didn't know if you knew or not. Here's a link to it from an american site, not sure where else you can get it :confused:

http://www.boulevardmovies.com/Four-...D-p-18635.html

EDIT: Sorry, have found a UK site http://www.cdwow.com/DVD/Dario-Argen...vet/dp/2827911

darthelvis 9th February 2010 08:06 AM

I was in Southampton on Friday and managed to pick up a couple of bargains,

The Gift for £2 from a market stall.

Land of the Dead Blu Ray £8 from CEX

mbv 9th February 2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 62128)
I seen these 3 on offer and was wondering if they were any good both PQ and film ways.

Fri 13th (2009)
Fri 13th 2 (original)
Eden Lake
The Signal

Anyone.?

F13 2009 is an absolute shite pile of a movie but it does look good in Blu ray. The PQ is about the only decent thing about the movie...Jason is pretty cool though.

F13 2 I liked a lot. The PQ is pretty decent for most of the movie especially the darker scenes(which I suppose is about 80% of the time). Its never going to win Blu ray of the year but as a fan of the movie I was well impressed.

42ndStreetFreak 9th February 2010 09:27 AM

****ing LOVING that!!! Nice one.
Lok at that age rating too! LOL!

"Antichrist"

"Wanted Dead or Alive" (upgrade from blurry full frame/stereo DVD release)

NOTE: Got "WDOA" from Poundland.....Despite the back cover "WDOA" is the 'Anchor Bay' DTS version and is, as per the cover, anamorphic.
It is NOT the cheaper 'Bay View' version with only stereo and a non-anamorphic print.

Gojirosan 9th February 2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 62134)
Just last year Mya Communication released the full uncut restored version of this "lost film". Didn't know if you knew or not. Here's a link to it from an american site, not sure where else you can get it :confused:

Yeah, I've got the nearly-uncut Mya version, I ordered the Retrofilm one out of a combination of curiosity, anorakism and greed! :lol: Many thanks though.

In other news...WAKE IN FRIGHT ARRIVED THIS MORNING!!! :bananasuit:

LineSix 9th February 2010 11:05 AM

A copy and paste from the X-Rated Kult thread:

One more for the collection, I picked up a limited to 99 version of Walerian Borowczyk's Unmoralische Novizinnen hinter Klostermauern, Behind Convent Walls being the English title. I bought it purely based on the fact that I had never seen the edition before, seems like a rare one. It's got English language, thats a plus, lol.

Pigasus 9th February 2010 11:35 AM

Just received The Last Templar, starring Mira Sorvino as an "intrepid archaeologist" (it says here).

Philleh 9th February 2010 02:39 PM

I've recently picked up:

Zombie (Anchor Bay)
Demonia (Shreik Show)
House of Clocks (Shriek Show)
Revolutionary Road
Choke

Pete 9th February 2010 02:44 PM

I remember finding the Shriek Show dvd of Demonia in gamestation for £2.99 about five years ago. I was so happy! The happiness soon turned to dissapointment though, because it was crap!

Philleh 9th February 2010 03:36 PM

Haha, it cost £3.17 so I can live with it :) I know it's not good at all, but it's one for Fulci for the collection :thumb:

Pete 9th February 2010 03:48 PM

Aye, no matter how bad some of his later films are its still nice to have them all.

My Demonia myseriously dissapeared. One day I decided to watch it again and when I opened the dvd case it was gone! I have no Idea what happened to it:confused:

I wonder if one of the builders (who were instaling the new radiators a few weeks before) nicked it?

Philleh 9th February 2010 04:03 PM

Closet Fulci fan huh? surely he'd snag the case too? ha.

Sucks either way, not tempted to purchase it again huh?

Pete 9th February 2010 04:09 PM

I might buy it again but there are other films I want first.

Philleh 9th February 2010 04:46 PM

Could be some time then! I'm looking to finish off my Fulci Shriek Show collection at the moment.

Pete 9th February 2010 04:52 PM

How many do you need?

Philleh 9th February 2010 04:55 PM

Touch of Death
Murder Rock
Sweet House of Horrors
Re-release of Lizard in a Woman's Skin

I have them in other releases, but would like the SS one completed. :)

Pete 9th February 2010 04:57 PM

I had the re-release of Lizard in a Womans Skin and the pq wasn't very good considering it had been 'remastered'.

Philleh 9th February 2010 05:02 PM

I have the original release they put out, so what's the difference with the re-release? :confused:

Pete 9th February 2010 05:06 PM

I the re-release is longer.

For some reason SS dropped almost all the extras from the old edition for the re-release.

Philleh 9th February 2010 05:13 PM

Odd, guess I'll keep hold of her then! Ha.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th February 2010 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ordered one of these from the land of Oz.....:thumb: