Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

trebor8273 27th August 2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 361625)
The Peter Cushing is really good, a little light on Hammer so expect that but otherwise a really good read. All told he was an absolutely lovely man, and testimony to what an incredible actor he was to create such loathsome villains - I'm thinking about Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed and the Death Star general in Star Wars - for all his few minutes in the film he's really memorable...

Such a shame they killed tarkin of, found him a lot more evil and menacing than vadar. Don't know if its true but wasn't he originally offered the role of obi wan?

oaxaca 27th August 2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361570)
What are importcds like for delivery etc?

Pretty decent considering they ship from the US, usually about a week and a half. Best thing about them is they are customs friendly as they have a base in the UK. They are the same company as all_your_music on amazon marketplace and are also related to deepdiscount in some way.

The only downside is if you pre-order something and its release date gets pushed back to beyond 21 days after you order it, their system is so archaic you have to email them to get them to refund you... their system cancels the order - although it doesn't let you know it does - and it doesn't automatically refund you the dosh (as you pay up front via paypal). They respond very fast to any order queries though. Once you get your head around their system, and remember to NEVER pre-order anything that is to be released more than 21 days later, it really is the cheapest place to order most US BDs, especially Olive ones. In fact the Olive Films thread on bluray.com forums pretty much doubles as a thread about importcds.com too :p I'm always banging on about how good they are I probably sound like I work for them, but its only cause they are the cheapest (especially if you order/preorder in bulk) customs friendly webstore out there now that planet axel is a distant memory :p

Wes 27th August 2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361627)
Such a shame they killed tarkin of, found him a lot more evil and menacing than vadar. Don't know if its true but wasn't he originally offered the role of obi wan?

Oh really ? That's really interesting if that's the case. I mean when I was a kid I could dig Darth Vadar, but Cushing with that angular face was genuinely menacing, y'know like the worst, most humourless school teacher a kid could run into...

Wes 27th August 2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 361632)
Pretty decent considering they ship from the US, usually about a week and a half. Best thing about them is they are customs friendly as they have a base in the UK. They are the same company as all_your_music on amazon marketplace and are also related to deepdiscount in some way.

Is that so... cos I started using importcds about a year ago (always a good experience) and have never ordered over the threshold, having gotten stung one time too many when ordering from Amazon. But if they're posting from the UK, that's a game changer. I was trying to figure out how to sneak in Criterion's forthcoming Zatoichi box...

trebor8273 27th August 2013 08:23 PM

So with importcds does that mean I can end up ordering more than one item without being hit by the dreaded import tax?

oaxaca 27th August 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 361636)
So with importcds does that mean I can end up ordering more than one item without being hit by the dreaded import tax?

Yep! I don't know why they don't advertise the fact on their website. Plus the way their shipping works is you pay a one off $4.99 handling fee per order then p&p on each item is $1.49, so it makes sense to buy in bulk. e.g. 5 or 6 blu rays at about $14 dollers each (the average Olive blu ray price) then it comes to around 11/11.50 squid a blu ray *including* shipping, which is generally as cheap as a brand new US blu ray comes. Order each individually and you pay about 13-14 quid.

antmumford 27th August 2013 09:17 PM

HMV in Brighton had a few good clearance Blu's in their 4 for £10 deal. Bought 3 copies of the Baraka / Samsara boxset, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (bfi), The Rolling Stones Grrr!, Jacques Tati's Playtime, Love & Other Drugs (triple play) and Looking for Eric. Not bad for £20 me thinks :D

Jinx_Barkman 27th August 2013 10:33 PM

Had a rough day yesterday so I ordered these to cheer myself up.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...bL._SY300_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...FL._SY300_.jpg

SCM 28th August 2013 10:05 AM

bought the Devil's Rain at Cash Generator

BAKA 28th August 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 361499)
I'm not sure, Baka, because I've not used the site yet but when Wingrove sent out stuff as a marketplace seller, it came within 2-3 days.

I guess I'll find out soon enough, I placed an order for it. I know they used to be based in the UK, but since they gave up with UK distribution to release in the US I'm a little unsure. Hopefully even if they did move physically, they'll be aware of UK customs limitations, being from the UK, and mark appropriately. Thanks for the heads up :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 361632)

I didn't realise they were the same company as All_Your_Music. I've recently just started using ImportCDs, and my copy of X-Ray / Schizoid came exactly a week after despatch. Since then I have The House Of Seven Corpses on the way, and pre-orders for House On Straw Hill and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (so cheap!). I wasn't aware that $5.00 fee was per order until I pre-ordered both House on Straw Hill and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, but then I stopped myself ordering more incase they take the money straight away (which I'm guessing they don't, as they haven't yet for my pre-orders).

I shall be bulk pre-ordering a few more in the future then, to split that $5.00 fee, and safe in the knowledge I won't get stung by customs. Cheers for the information!