Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 365796)
I'd never heard of it until recently.

A little while back i went back over every Kim Newman's Video Dungeon in Empire. It goes back to 2005. I noted down every film he liked and put them in a wish list.

When the films drop below £1 (last of the big spenders eh?) i order them. Dark Nature and Molly Hartley were two of these.

My reason for doing this was to try and discover new films as picking decent ones is pretty difficult.

That's a good strategy. Even if it's awful, you don't feel too cheated after only having spent a pound. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 365810)
That's a good strategy. Even if it's awful, you don't feel too cheated after only having spent a pound. :nod:

In the case of Molly Hartley - an ok film, the strategy worked perfectly. I'll watch it again sometime. I was probably lucky to be in the right mood for it. It was kinda' like Mean Girls with added Satanism. :lol:

Bringer Of Funerals 14th September 2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philosophy of a Knife (Post 365795)
Hard Corps, well, it's VAN DAMMME so why not!

You gotta love some big Van

Edgeworth 14th September 2013 05:59 PM

Tarantino XX blu set for £20. :thumb: Forgot I ordered it, wasn't expecting it to be honoured tbh.

antmumford 14th September 2013 06:28 PM

Did some more exhanging of old unwanted DVD's today in CEX and in return got the following Blu-rays:

Bunny and the Bull (not seen)
Uncle Boonmee who can recall his past lives (not seen)
Les Miserable Limited Edition Digibook (not seen, bargain at £8)
The Impossible (Loved)
The Vow (seen, but it's for my fiance..... honest :o)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 365865)
Did some more exhanging of old unwanted DVD's today in CEX and in return got the following Blu-rays:

Bunny and the Bull (not seen)
Uncle Boonmee who can recall his past lives (not seen)
Les Miserable Limited Edition Digibook (not seen, bargain at £8)
The Impossible (Loved)
The Vow (seen, but it's for my fiance..... honest :o)

All excellent or really good films – I can't vouch for The Vow as I haven't seen it (honest!).

antmumford 14th September 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 365866)
All excellent or really good films – I can't vouch for The Vow as I haven't seen it (honest!).

It's a sweet film and I'm a big girl at heart so I love all this soppy stuff and on top of that I'm pretty much in love with Rachel McAdams so I'll watch anything with her in regardless of how crap it is. Luckily she hasn't been in a bad film yet, that I've seen anyway ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 365867)
It's a sweet film and I'm a big girl at heart so I love all this soppy stuff and on top of that I'm pretty much in love with Rachel McAdams so I'll watch anything with her in regardless of how crap it is. Luckily she hasn't been in a bad film yet, that I've seen anyway ;)

Fair enough!

From Blockbuster Marketplace in their 4 for £12 and 6 for £15 deals, I ordered:

The Descendants
The Ides of March
The Raven
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!
The Brothers Bloom
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Precious
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Last Chance Harvey
American Graffiti

And, for £2.99 each (with 10% off because I'm renting from them):

Iron Sky
Crazy Heart
The Blind Side
Whip It!
Doubt

Wes 14th September 2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 365869)
Fair enough!

From Blockbuster Marketplace in their 4 for £12 and 6 for £15 deals, I ordered:

Some really good titles on there, especially Ides of March which is a great film, and Crazy Heart I liked a lot as well - like a companion film to Tender Mercies. The older Jeff Bridges gets the more interesting he is to watch. I'd imagine Sam Peckinpah if was making movies today, Jeff Bridges would be in them. And Maggie Gyllenhaal is just fantastic...

Bringer Of Funerals 14th September 2013 06:55 PM

Fight Club on blu