Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 28th December 2016 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 515135)
I sincerely hope that you are joking, Mr, Harker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVr2hbE6aW0

Not at all. If I'd have been the HMV employee in question I'd have probably thought it was a wind up.

trebor8273 28th December 2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 515139)
Not at all. If I'd have been the HMV employee in question I'd have probably thought it was a wind up.

have to agree

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th December 2016 09:32 AM

Quote:

Bonzo Dog Doo Da-Dah Band is probably not the most well-known musical group in history, and I wouldn't have thought there would be many of their albums in a 'regular' shop, but that probably says more about my perception of today's society than Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

However, considering most of the core members were born in the 1960s, the original vocalist (Vivian Stanshall) died in 1995, and them arguably being the most famous in the 1970s (the line-up which I saw a little earlier this year – with a small and mostly elderly audience – only containing three or four of the original members) their material is not frequently played on the radio and they aren't likely to be required knowledge for a young employee of some I like HMV.

This is one of the most well-known songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVDUVJvDlM

J Harker 28th December 2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 515142)
Bonzo Dog Doo Da-Dah Band is probably not the most well-known musical group in history, and I wouldn't have thought there would be many of their albums in a 'regular' shop, but that probably says more about my perception of today's society than Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band.

However, considering most of the core members were born in the 1960s, the original vocalist (Vivian Stanshall) died in 1995, and them arguably being the most famous in the 1970s (the line-up which I saw a little earlier this year – with a small and mostly elderly audience – only containing three or four of the original members) their material is not frequently played on the radio and they aren't likely to be required knowledge for a young employee of some I like HMV.

This is one of the most well-known songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVDUVJvDlM

Wtf? Round these parts 'Dog Doo' is a term generally used to refer to shit. Which judging by those videos is probably why it's in the bands name.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th December 2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 515143)
Wtf? Round these parts 'Dog Doo' is a term generally used to refer to shit. Which judging by those videos is probably why it's in the bands name.

When coming up with the title, the phrase Bonzo Dog was settled on, with someone adding Do-Dah, which his mother used to describe something which she couldn't name at the time (similar to a thingamujig, I suppose).

You can probably tell a lot about how well-known they are by asking how many people have heard of the band Death Cab for Cutie and how many people know that was a song by Bonzo Dog in 1967, with Death Cab for Cutie taking the name from the song.

Deadite 28th December 2016 09:58 AM

Young people today. :wise:

trebor8273 28th December 2016 11:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
preordered these steelbook's. also tickets booked to see Passengers tomorrow

platostotal 28th December 2016 03:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just like Scrooge my Christmas spirit lifted today when on the off-chance went into local record/vinyl dealer who used to be a good place for R1 dvd, only to see a shelf of BD at £3 each, grabbed these and on top he gave me a £2 discount, so £10 Christmas money well spent:xmastree:

Susan Foreman 28th December 2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 515091)
Because they are idiots!

Chloe's step-father went into HMV to order a CD by The Bonzo Dog DooDah Band, only for the person behind the counter to say 'never heard of them, mate'!

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 515128)
What or who the bloody hell is The Bonzo Dog Doodah Band???

Quote:

If I'd have been the HMV employee in question I'd have probably thought it was a wind up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 515140)
have to agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 515142)
Bonzo Dog Doo Da-Dah Band is probably not the most well-known musical group in history, and I wouldn't have thought there would be many of their albums in a 'regular' shop... considering most of the core members were born in the 1960s, the original vocalist (Vivian Stanshall) died in 1995, and them arguably being the most famous in the 1970s...they aren't likely to be required knowledge for a young employee of some I like HMV.

With all due respect, I am assuming that you do not work in HMV!

Admittedly things might have changed, but when I had an interview to work for them a few years ago, I was expected to know ALL about music, and not just just my favourite genre (at the time, heavy metal). I was expected to know about jazz and big band music; I was expected to know about classical, chamber and orchestral music; I was expected to know about film soundtracks from the 1930's and I was expected to know what was in the top five of the chart for the week I had an interview

What I am trying to say is that for me to work at HMV, I would have had to have an encyclopedic knowledge of music and music history

The Bonzo's may not be a well known band today, but they are a huge cult band. It would be like someone saying they love horror films, but have never heard of Bruno Mattei

Oh - incidentally, I didn't get the job at HMV because the person who interviewed me was an idiot!

trebor8273 28th December 2016 07:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today's delivery's