Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Justin101 25th February 2017 12:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This looks like a spending spree but it's not :lol:

HMV and CEX came to £30 and I got 7 films! Amazed to see one of the rare BD slipcase editions of The Witch so grabbed that immediately. Popped into HMV to buy Shaun of the Dead which was £8.99 or I could buy the whole 'Cornetto Trilogy' for an extra £4 so that was a good buy as well.

Suspiria has arrived from Amazon Italy, just had a look and it's a great transfer, has a 2 channel mono soundtrack and the 5.1 HD DTS both in English or Italian with optional subtitles. The only extra is a 30 minute chat with Dario, it's in Italian with no subs, but seriously, what else is there to say about Suspiria, I still have my 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and the Cine-Excess BD which both have excellent supplements on them. This edition is around £14.00 delivered from Amazon.

The Criterion films were 'free' with a 12 month Empire subscription which cost less than buying the 2 discs.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 12:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals

nosferatu42 25th February 2017 01:02 PM

Some good films there Dem, i really like Alice, the Tenant and Beastmaster.:rockon:

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 522564)
Some good films there Dem, i really like Alice, the Tenant and Beastmaster.:rockon:

Thanks, nos.

Oddly enough The Real Blonde was the one i was most happy to get hold of. It's not what you'd call a popular film and i'm sure it's deleted on dvd. I thought it was a real gem when i saw it at the cinema but it became lost in a glut of gore, at least to me, this last ten years.

I've not seen Alice, or The Tenant but The Beastmaster i used to own on vhs, probably cut though. At least this US dvd from Anchor Bay is complete and full of extras.

nosferatu42 25th February 2017 01:45 PM

Never even heard of "The real Blonde."
The Tenant has a lot of the vibe of Rosemarys Baby i thought with the building and it's residents slowly driving Polanski mad.
Alice has some really well shot scenes,a creepy atmosphere and a few decent kills if i remember rightly. Great stuff.:pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522555)
Suspiria has arrived from Amazon Italy, just had a look and it's a great transfer, has a 2 channel mono soundtrack and the 5.1 HD DTS both in English or Italian with optional subtitles. The only extra is a 30 minute chat with Dario, it's in Italian with no subs, but seriously, what else is there to say about Suspiria, I still have my 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and the Cine-Excess BD which both have excellent supplements on them. This edition is around £14.00 delivered from Amazon.

That's great to know. I have ordered it today, but the exchange rates must have changed, because it cost me £15.07.

Justin101 25th February 2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522580)
That's great to know. I have ordered it today, but the exchange rates must have changed, because it cost me £15.07.

I actually have an internet bank account that allows you to pay in any currency without fees so it's always a bit cheaper when buying in a foreign currency. When buying on Amazon and it automatically converts it to £ you click a button that says pay in Euros.

https://monzo.com/ if you're interested, I actually use it daily so I can keep track of my spending, but keep my main Barclays account for my bills etc.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 522582)
I actually have an internet bank account that allows you to pay in any currency without fees so it's always a bit cheaper when buying in a foreign currency. When buying on Amazon and it automatically converts it to £ you click a button that says pay in Euros.

https://monzo.com/ if you're interested, I actually use it daily so I can keep track of my spending, but keep my main Barclays account for my bills etc.

I'll look into – thanks. I don't know if I do enough shopping in currencies other than sterling to warrant another bank account, but it might be worth it if it saves me a quid or do every now and again.

Justin101 25th February 2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 522584)
I'll look into – thanks. I don't know if I do enough shopping in currencies other than sterling to warrant another bank account, but it might be worth it if it saves me a quid or do every now and again.

I use it more of a budgeting tool, I'll transfer over x-amount from my main account, and that's how much I'm allowed to spend on Lattes, Books and BDs. It helped me save for Japan! It also saved me money while there because I could take money out of the cash point at the best exchange rate possible.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 522565)
Thanks, nos.

Oddly enough The Real Blonde was the one i was most happy to get hold of. It's not what you'd call a popular film and i'm sure it's deleted on dvd. I thought it was a real gem when i saw it at the cinema but it became lost in a glut of gore, at least to me, this last ten years.

I've not seen Alice, or The Tenant but The Beastmaster i used to own on vhs, probably cut though. At least this US dvd from Anchor Bay is complete and full of extras.

I haven't seen The Real Blonde or The Beastmaster, but will add them to my 'to watch' list. If you're a fan of Polanski's psychological thrillers/horrors, you're in for a treat with The Tenant.