Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Daemonia 30th December 2009 12:48 AM

Yes, that was the only BBFC cut I was aware of, Vin - but I do recall the Board being troubled by the ending. Wasn't the release held up for a year two as well? I know Reservoir Dogs was - but that was mainly because Tarantino was very vocal in disallowing them to butcher his work. Good for him. At the time, the BBFC said the banning of it was 'a warning shot across the bough' to Hollywood and the impending era of ultra-violence. The BBFC really thought it wielded power over Hollywood. Poor, deluded Ferman. :lol:

Daemonia 30th December 2009 12:55 AM

As an addendum, here's some info regarding the cuts to True Romance here in the UK.

Quote:

True Romance (1993)

CENSORSHIP HISTORY

UK
Rating: 18
The UK theatrical and video prints were the same as the R rated US version, with its three missing minutes. However, the initial video releases were advertised with a label proclaiming it to be the uncut version - and in a sense it was. It was the uncut theatrical version, but not Scott's original uncut 122 minute cut. The footage known to be missing from the UK version is as follows:

The violent climax to the drug deal in the hotel room has been curtailed, missing a few particularly brutal bullet hits. It also reduces Samuel Jackson's already meagre cameo to a blink-and-you'll-miss-him experience.

Much of Jackson's ripe dialogue ("I eat the pussy, I eat the butt, I eat every mother****ing thing") is ommitted.

The confrontation between Drexl and Clarence has been cut, including a shot of one of Clarence's bullets hitting Drexl in the groin.

The most significant cuts have been inflicted upon the scene in which Virgil beats up Alabama. Around 47 seconds have been removed, including Virgil punching Alabama in the stomach, of Alabama lying on the floor looking at her battered body in a mirror and of her being thrown through a glass door. Alabama's revenge is also much more dramatic in the uncut version, with her shooting Virgil five times as opposed to the once seen in the UK versions.

Also heavily trimmed is the shootout at the Beverly Ambassador. Donowitz's remarks to Elliot when he realises that he has been sold out ("Take your ****ing SA card and burn it, you little cocksucker!") is missing along with a number of John Woo style multiple bullet hits. Strangely, the follow up to Clarence's insistence that he and Alabama take a gun with them to the meeting is also missing - it isn't Clarence that gets to use it, but Alabama who shoots Dimes three times. It has been suggested that the MPAA couldn't stomach the idea of a woman killing a cop and getting away with it and insisted that the scene be removed.

Adding considerably to this confusion is the fact that the UK trailer not only shows a brief glimpse of one of the cut scenes (Alabama and Virgil in shadow during their fight) but also a number of scenes (Clarence and Alabama in the bath, a close up of Val Kilmer's face whereas in the film he was only ever seen in shadow, Coccotti discussing Virgil's disappearance et al) that never made it even to the uncut version.

All of this was made irrelevant when the missing footage was restored in the Director's Cut DVD.
http://www.eofftv.com/t/tru/true_romance_main.htm

I actually think I may be confusing the MPAA's problems with the BBFC. Seems it was the MPAA who found the film problematic - the troubling material was removed before ever reaching the BBFC. Sorry for the confusion. I'm getting old now see, my memory ain't what it used to be! :)

vincenzo 30th December 2009 02:24 AM

No worries. My brain is a year older than last year too. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 55301)
Wasn't the release held up for a year two as well? I know Reservoir Dogs was - but that was mainly because Tarantino was very vocal in disallowing them to butcher his work.

Reservoir Dogs had no cinema problems in the UK. The main problem came with the video, as Polygram submitted it shortly after the appalling James Bulger murder. Ferman didn't want to cut the film but knew the Criminal Justice & Public Order Bill (plus public reaction) would be a potential problem, so the release was held back for nearly 2 years.

A similar problem later occurred with Natural Born Killers where the video was pulled by Warners due to the release date coinciding with the Dunblane massacre.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th December 2009 06:06 AM

Watched Inglorious Basterds last night.
I was really wary of this after DEATH PROOF,but I'm pleased to report it is fantastic!
Now this is Tarantino back to superb story-telling form.

Ze Juden Bearen-with his bat? Jesus,brutal,but funny at the same time!:lol:

Mexican standoff with guns pointed at bollocks?:lol:

His use of music is also great,sounding like a western,but definetly a great war film.

Brilliant stuff!:cool:

42ndStreetFreak 30th December 2009 06:14 PM

"The Wire" - Seasons 1-5 box set.

"Wind Chill"

"A Dangerous Man" - Latest Stevie the Seagul flick. I hope it's a "Renegade Justice" and not a freakin' "Kill Switch".

"Flashpoint" - Donnie Yen. Picked this two disc release up for a nice £1 from 'Head'.

Kyle 30th December 2009 06:31 PM

head is a grewat shop but its closing at the end of jan and i think we are getting a virgin.

my mate works in head and its her last day tomorrow so i have given her a list of dvd's and shes going to get me them for half price :biggrin:

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th December 2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 55428)
"A Dangerous Man" - Latest Stevie the Seagul flick. I hope it's a "Renegade Justice" and not a freakin' "Kill Switch".

Just finished watching it.The film is somewhere in between those two.I'd lean a little more towards Renagade Justice.Pretty violent too :thumb:

nekromantik 31st December 2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 55310)
Watched Inglorious Basterds last night.
I was really wary of this after DEATH PROOF,but I'm pleased to report it is fantastic!
Now this is Tarantino back to superb story-telling form.

Ze Juden Bearen-with his bat? Jesus,brutal,but funny at the same time!:lol:

Mexican standoff with guns pointed at bollocks?:lol:

His use of music is also great,sounding like a western,but definetly a great war film.

Brilliant stuff!:cool:

Ditto! :thumb:

I loved IB, a picking up the blu soon :biggrin:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st December 2009 11:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
These arrived today!:cool:

Kyle 31st December 2009 02:42 PM

got these from asda today

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ETL_SS500_.jpghttp://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Y6L_SS500_.jpg