Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th August 2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 171954)
I've got the first Anthology set as well, which is a cracker. I bloody love Kiss.

One of my favourite albums is Hot in the Shade. It has some cracking tunes on it - Cadillac Dreams, Silver Spoon, and Hide Your Heart to name but three.

Daemonia 6th August 2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombsy666 (Post 171848)
:clap:Just picked up Blue Undergrounds blu-ray of VAMPYRES, and i must admit the quality was a lot better than i'd been hearing about, infact i thought this was a well presented disc, next purchase DEAD & BURIED methinks, any feedback on picture quality on this one would be appreciated

Agreed. I thought Vampyres looked great on BD, not sure why reviewers have said it looks bad, because it certainly doesn't. Yet another reason why I use reviews primarily just to suss out whether it's a film I'm interested in or not. If I want to know about BD quality, I tend to ask people like the good folk on here. Generally, if someone on here says that a BD is good, I'll take their word for it and snap up a copy, as I did with the UK release of Evil Dead 2 , which isn't anywhere near as bad as reviews suggest (although punters might want to hang on, as Lionsgate are releasing this again on BD in the near future). I'd rather trust a fellow fan than some nit-picking reviewer who obviously spends their time analysing every frame of the film looking for print damage, DNR, EE etc. These people should get out more and meet real people. :lol:

Gojirosan 6th August 2011 11:33 AM

The Thai DVD of Cannibal Apocalypse arrived today which is amazing as I only ordered it a few days ago. I wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks!

mark meakin 6th August 2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 172015)
The Thai DVD of Cannibal Apocalypse arrived today which is amazing as I only ordered it a few days ago. I wasn't expecting it for another couple of weeks!

Some great covers on those Thai releases.I have THE MERCENARIES & the classic Joe Don Baker actioner WALKING TALL.

Refused 6th August 2011 03:40 PM

I thought I'd attempt to get back into Asian cinema, I used to love martial arts films a few years back and it's about time I rekindled my love of Eastern cinema. I just picked up Fatal Move, so I'm hoping that's a good watch.
Any recommendations for must-see Asian films? Either classic or contemporary, I'm not fussy. Besides the usual Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films I haven't seen much.

Hugh 6th August 2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 172079)
I thought I'd attempt to get back into Asian cinema, I used to love martial arts films a few years back and it's about time I rekindled my love of Eastern cinema. I just picked up Fatal Move, so I'm hoping that's a good watch.
Any recommendations for must-see Asian films? Either classic or contemporary, I'm not fussy. Besides the usual Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films I haven't seen much.

Only really a fan of the classic movies of the 80's/90's, but they were some of the best IMHO, so if you haven't seen these, then you should.

On Blu-ray
A Chinese Ghost Story
Eastern Condors
The Killer
A Better Tomorrow (Part 2 especially)
Hard Boiled
Once upon a Time in China
Oldboy
Battle Royale

Not on Blu-ray yet, but worth seeking out on DVD.
Full Contact
God of Gamblers
Iron Monkey
Naked Killer
Story of Ricky

Now the bad news, most of the Hong Kong Blu-rays have been released by a company called Kam & Ronson. Unfortunately, they seem to be in it only for the money. None of the blus have had any sort of remastering, and most are simply upscales. Barely better than the already poor DVD releases. Okay, so some of the prints aren't particularly well stored and were shot on a budget to begin with, but most of these Kam & Ronson releases are so poor that you'll be wondering why they are even bothering. Hopefully, Cine-Asia, a UK company will start picking up these for UK releases and do them some justice.

Sorry for the rant.

Oh, and get the Cine-Asia blu of Ip Man. Great film and looks spectacular.

Refused 6th August 2011 05:03 PM

Thanks for that! I had read a couple of reviews of Kam & Ronson, I guessed it would've been best to avoid them.
Saw The Killer and Hard Boiled years ago, I was probably too young to fully appreciate them though. Shall definitely seek out those, and try to pick up a couple of the others.

the blob 6th August 2011 05:27 PM

Iron Monkey is out from Kam & Ronson and Story of Ricky is supposedly coming to BD from Media Blasters. I'm waiting to see opinions of A Better Tomorrow but I'm not holding much hope. Still, I just sold my Fortune Star box so I'll probably end up getting them anyway sometime.

Not too bad a review of Iron Monkey..

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Iron-M.../20160/#Review

dream demon 7th August 2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 171876)
Yeah! Kaufman got a cheer when he came on.(noticed he has a cameo in crank 2 as well) Good to see the director mr gunn kept the troma sensebilities alive with this movie, great stuff.

Plus, funhouse arived this morning!, been at work all day so only had time to check out the pq, much better than my old region 1 disc which shall be going on amazon for sale (or possibly donated to a friends teenage son just getting into oldschool horror after I made him watch nightmare on elm street.)
Either way the review on amazon seems to have got it a bit wrong (too soft my a$$, its seems to be the best i've seen it)
also as a bonus the company that sent me my usb key cocked up the order in a good way, I have me 3 micro sd cards for free!

Isn't it great when stuff like that happens? :) When I pre-ordered the Canadian steelbook of 2001 a few months back Amazon sent me two copies. I was expecting them to ask for the extra copy back, or charge my card, but it never happened! :clap: :woot:

Prince_Vajda 7th August 2011 02:53 PM

Planned order: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Final order: add some more!
http://i53.tinypic.com/25jvxnb.jpg

Greetings!