Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Top Ten Tuesdays (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13212-top-ten-tuesdays.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 12:30 PM

Quite amazingly Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs gets both 34 and 31 out of 100 in B_E's list.

Even double dipping doesn't really make much difference to a film's score. ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490045)
Quite amazingly Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs gets both 34 and 31 out of 100 in B_E's list.

Even double dipping doesn't really make much difference to a film's score. ;)

The sequel gets 34 (ever so slightly better) whilst the original gets 31 - essentially both 3/10 though.

It's impossible to rank a film two different scores as attempting to do so will just over-write the original score.

You've got to watch you fair share of crap to balance out / appreciate the good though I find. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 490046)
The sequel gets 34 (ever so slightly better) whilst the original gets 31 - essentially both 3/10 though.

It's impossible to rank a film two different scores as attempting to do so will just over-write the original score.

You've got to watch you fair share of crap to balance out / appreciate the good though I find. :nod:

I didn't know there are two of them. You're a braver man than i am. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490048)

I think they're making a third too!

I don't think I'll attempt that one, unless I'm stuck on another 8 hour flight with nothing to do.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 01:47 PM

I had real problems finding films others generally dislike which I actively like. Others, which are generally disliked, I also dislike!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490043)
No i think some people are too cool to admit to liking films others might snigger at.

Here's a selection of films from Bizarre_Eye's lists.

Shirley Valentine (1989)
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason
Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)
Grease (1978)
Pretty Woman (1990)
Dirty Dancing (1987)
Juno (2007)
Little Women (1994)
What Women Want (2000)
Jingle All the Way (1996)
Miss Congeniality (2000)
Muriel's Wedding (1994)

He must like them as he also has quality films like these dotted around them as well.

Kindergarten Cop (1990)
Dodgeball
Sleeping Beauty (1959)

So, from that list, I would happily admit to liking Juno, Muriel's Wedding and Shirley Valentine, never considering them guilty pleasures. The same goes for Dodgeball and Sleeping Beauty, plus every animated Disney film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490048)

I really rate both Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs films, so it just goes to show how different to people can be when rating the same film.

J Harker 15th May 2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 490053)
I had real problems finding films others generally dislike which I actively like. Others, which are generally disliked, I also dislike!

So, from that list, I would happily admit to liking Juno, Muriel's Wedding and Shirley Valentine, never considering them guilty pleasures. The same goes for Dodgeball and Sleeping Beauty, plus every animated Disney film.

As i recall Nos, you think quite highly of Mary Poppins. Do you feel no shame whatsoever??

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490066)
As i recall Nos, you think quite highly of Mary Poppins. Do you feel no shame whatsoever??

I haven't seen it but i really enjoyed the film based on the making of it - Saving Mr. Banks.

J Harker 15th May 2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 490067)
I haven't seen it but i really enjoyed the film based on the making of it - Saving Mr. Banks.

Saving Mr.Banks i just found a bit boring. Mary Poppins i hate.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th May 2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 490066)

No, nor should I. It's a critically acclaimed film which was nominated for thirteen Oscars, including Best Picture, winning five!