Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Top Ten Tuesdays (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/13212-top-ten-tuesdays.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 571792)
No, I'm not taking the p*ss, it was a serious question

For me, the original 'Friday 13th' is so over the top and gratuitous, it has to be a spoof of a horror film. The same goes with with Raimi's 'Evil Dead', Bava's 'Demons' and Jackson's 'Bad Taste'/'Braindead'

Meanwhile, I look upon 'Rocky Horror' is a parody of 1950's science fiction films, 'This Is Spinal Tap' is a parody of Pennebaker's 'Don't Look Back' and 'Moonraker' wouldn't exist without 'Star Wars'

Friday the 13th, Evil Dead and Demons are 'serious' horror films. Bad Taste and Braindead fit into the comedy-horror category. Murray Might not exist without Star Wars, but it is not a Star Wars parody in the same way as Galaxina or Spaceballs are. This Is Spinal Tap and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are, as you say, parody films because they are pastiches of rock documentaries and sci-fi/horror B-movies, respectively.

When you're considering what films you'd put on your list, think whether they are spoofing a genre or specific film/series of films, whether the central character is a parody of another film character or series of character tropes.

Does that make sense?

MrBarlow 10th April 2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 571792)
No, I'm not taking the p*ss, it was a serious question

For me, the original 'Friday 13th' is so over the top and gratuitous, it has to be a spoof of a horror film. The same goes with with Raimi's 'Evil Dead', Bava's 'Demons' and Jackson's 'Bad Taste'/'Braindead'

Meanwhile, I look upon 'Rocky Horror' is a parody of 1950's science fiction films, 'This Is Spinal Tap' is a parody of Pennebaker's 'Don't Look Back' and 'Moonraker' wouldn't exist without 'Star Wars'

My apologies kind lady, we had Star Wars, Mel Brooks made Spaceballs a parody or comedy version. Twilight movies had a comedy version Vampire Socks. Find a film and see if it was made into a comedy version of it.

bleakshaun 10th April 2018 01:02 PM

Kentucky Fried Movie
Spaceballs
This is Spinal Tap
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Airplane
Hot Shots
Austin Powers - International Man of Mystery
The Naked Gun
Blazing Saddles
Mars Attacks

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 571797)
My apologies kind lady, we had Star Wars, Mel Brooks made Spaceballs a parody or comedy version. Twilight movies had a comedy version Vampire Socks. Find a film and see if it was made into a comedy version of it.

That might be a typo, but I thought the parody film was called Vampires Suck!

MrBarlow 10th April 2018 01:06 PM

I don't know how I forgot about this movie Repossessed use to watch it all the time.

MrBarlow 10th April 2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 571799)

Aww bloody auto-correct

Susan Foreman 10th April 2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 571799)

'Vampire Socks' was a much better film!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2018 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 571803)
'Vampire Socks' was a much better film!

I've seen Vampires Suck, and bettering that is not not exactly a tough ask!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2018 04:21 PM

I want a pair of Vampire Socks! :D

Demoncrat 10th April 2018 05:22 PM

Parodies is it??

Johnny Dangerously
Young Frankenstein
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid
Hysterical!
Airplane!
Kentucky Fried Movie
Spaceship
High Anxiety