Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Award season 2021: Best And Worst - The Oscars and The Razzies (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/14138-award-season-2021-best-worst-oscars-razzies.html)

Susan Foreman 26th April 2021 06:20 AM

...And the Oscar goes to...

BEST PICTURE
  • "The Father"
  • "Judas and the Black Messiah"
  • "Mank"
  • "Minari"
  • "Nomadland"
  • "Promising Young Woman"
  • "Sound of Metal"
  • "The Trial of the Chicago 7″

DIRECTOR
  • Thomas Vinterberg, "Another Round"
  • David Fincher, "Mank"
  • Lee Isaac Chung, "Minari"
  • Chloe Zhao, "Nomadland"
  • Emerald Fennell, "Promising Young Woman"

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
  • Riz Ahmed, "Sound of Metal"
  • Chadwick Boseman, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
  • Anthony Hopkins, "The Father"
  • Gary Oldman, "Mank"
  • Steven Yeun, "Minari"

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
  • Viola Davis, "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom"
  • Andra Day, "The United States vs. Billie Holiday"
  • Vanessa Kirby, "Pieces of a Woman"
  • Frances McDormand, "Nomadland"
  • Carey Mulligan, "Promising Young Woman"

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  • Sacha Baron Cohen, "The Trial of the Chicago 7"
  • Daniel Kaluuya, "Judas and the Black Messiah"
  • Leslie Odom Jr., "One Night in Miami"
  • Paul Raci, "Sound of Metal"
  • Lakeith Stanfield, "Judas and the Black Messiah"

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
  • Maria Bakalova, "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm"
  • Glenn Close, "Hillbilly Elegy"
  • Olivia Colman, "The Father"
  • Amanda Seyfried, "Mank"
  • Youn Yuh-jung, "Minari"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th April 2021 02:52 PM

Of all the films nominated for Oscars mentioned above, I've seen five: Mank, Sound of Metal, The Trial of the Chicago 7, One Night in Miami, and Borat Subsequent Moviefilm.

I understand why Mank won Best Cinematography because it looks great and has clearly been shot with great skill.

Sound of Metal fully deserved the editing and sound awards because it was extremely well crafted and the sound design was disorientating and compelling, putting you in the head of someone who is losing their hearing.

One Night in Miami is exceptionally well written and powerfully performed. It's a film which (perhaps unsurprisingly) feels like a filmed play, similar in some respects to August: Osage County, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Fences.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 is another film with a superb screenplay, excellent performances by a stellar ensemble cast, and with an important (real) story to tell.

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm may not have the shock value of the first film featuring Sasha Baron Cohen's fictional Kazak journalist, but it does have a clever script and set up, extremely brave and committed performances from Baron Cohen and Maria Bakalova, and shows a disturbing level of bigotry and prejudice in the United States.

I've also seen Soul (Best Animated Feature) Onward (nominated for Best Animated Feature) and My Octopus Teacher (Best Documentary). All are well worth watching.

nosferatu42 27th April 2021 02:23 AM

Thing is i'm obviously not right in the head because most Oscar films i tend to avoid because they are usually so worthy, they have the best cinematography, soundtrack, acting awards and shit because they are deemed to be "good" films so film companies get behind them because they make a point about life or something.
Or they are singled out because they are indie but they are worthy.

The only point they actually make is that the general Oscar goer just wants the same shit served up on a plate.

Normally the only thing i take from the oscars is a list of films i want to avoid because they are over long, too ****ing right on or just plain dull.

:behindsofa:

nosferatu42 27th April 2021 02:29 AM

These are generally films i won't rush out to watch, but will end up watching at some point in 5 years on TV and will get to the end and say to myself that was underwhelming. :pop2:

nosferatu42 27th April 2021 02:34 AM

But what i want to know is wether it is because i'm an uncivilised fiend or because i'm not conditioned to want an oscar worthy "version" of real events, or am so desperate for a feel good or noble film that i get moist in the gusset?

Me i'd rather have a bacon and egg sandwich. :loveeyes:
Ticks all my boxes.:pop2:

iank 27th April 2021 03:38 AM

I've never heard of any of them, and I doubt I'll ever watch them. I didn't even know it was the Oscars honestly.

Demoncrat 27th April 2021 08:44 AM

Pandering a go go.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th April 2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 650857)
Thing is i'm obviously not right in the head because most Oscar films i tend to avoid because they are usually so worthy, they have the best cinematography, soundtrack, acting awards and shit because they are deemed to be "good" films so film companies get behind them because they make a point about life or something.
Or they are singled out because they are indie but they are worthy.

The only point they actually make is that the general Oscar goer just wants the same shit served up on a plate.

Normally the only thing i take from the oscars is a list of films i want to avoid because they are over long, too ****ing right on or just plain dull.

What about recent (in the last 15 years) Best Picture Oscar winners No Country for Old Men, Birdman, The Departed, or The Shape of Water?

nosferatu42 27th April 2021 06:56 PM

I liked Shape of water, wasn't that impressed by Birdman and the other two don't interest me.

trebor8273 27th April 2021 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 650920)
What about recent (in the last 15 years) Best Picture Oscar winners No Country for Old Men, Birdman, The Departed, or The Shape of Water?

You do get the odd interesting ones but most are boring and pretentious shit that I have no interest in watching. As Oscars is a list of films to avoid for me.