Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Upcoming UK Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1782-upcoming-uk-blu-ray-releases.html)

Prince_Vajda 19th July 2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 167202)
Before I forget, Eureka now has a partnership with Universal to release some of their catalogue titles to celebrate the centenary in 2012. MoC is releasing the Island of Lost Souls on DVD only in October; strange though that it's not a blu like Criterion.

Oh my god. :faint:

One of the best movies ever and one that really deserves a decent release. Terrific performances of Laughton and Lugosi. The fact that this masterpiece will get a proper DVD release made my day. :nod:

Greetings!

bgart13 20th July 2011 12:34 AM

You know Criterion is releasing it too, Prince V?

nekromantik 20th July 2011 12:58 AM

My next Criterion will probs be Salo!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th July 2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 167284)
My next Criterion will probs be Salo!

I'll probably buy that one too. The last one I bought was The Night of the Hunter which wasn't exactly cheap but, judging by the list of extra features and the length of them, it's going to worth the money.

nekromantik 20th July 2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 167302)
I'll probably buy that one too. The last one I bought was The Night of the Hunter which wasn't exactly cheap but, judging by the list of extra features and the length of them, it's going to worth the money.

I not seen the specs but I would think its the same as the DVD.
My first Criterion was videodrome blu and its a amazing disk!

Prince_Vajda 20th July 2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 167278)
You know Criterion is releasing it too, Prince V?

Region A Blu-rays - :nono: --> :sad:

Greetings!

Baseball Fury 20th July 2011 12:09 PM

That MoC Touch of Evil disc looks amazing. I have to admit though, I can't see the point of having all three versions with two aspect ratios?

Refused 20th July 2011 10:00 PM

The excellent series Firefly is being released in the UK, for a very agreeable £18.
Had my eye on the US version for a while, but it's about twice the price.
Firefly - The Complete Series Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Joss Whedon: Film & TV

the blob 21st July 2011 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Korean classic A BITTERSWEET LIFE is up for preorder for next month in two versions. The Ltd Ed is 1000 copies and only $5 more than the standard. Worth every penny! It's the Director's Cut as well.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/a-bitt...0-en/info.html

nekromantik 21st July 2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 167618)
Korean classic A BITTERSWEET LIFE is up for preorder for next month in two versions. The Ltd Ed is 1000 copies and only $5 more than the standard. Worth every penny! It's the Director's Cut as well.

that looks awesome!
i never buy asain movies from asia as extras are never subbed in english so to me it becomes a barebones package as the I can only watch the movie so paying a lot just for a movie and a bunch of extras I cant watch its simply not worth it. But hey thats just me! :lol:

the blob 21st July 2011 11:36 AM

Just realised I posted it in UK, haha!

The Korean Ltd Ed BDs that are sought after really do shoot up in value. Saw a copy of Memories of Murder go for over $150 on EBay recently!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st July 2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 167574)
The excellent series Firefly is being released in the UK, for a very agreeable £18.
Firefly - The Complete Series Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Morena Baccarin, Adam Baldwin, Joss Whedon: Film & TV

Excellent news -- I hope it as some new and exclusive extras but, even if it doesn't, that's a great price for a brilliant show.
Quote:

I haven't yet checked the prices but, as I don't own A Bittersweet Life on any format, it's going to be very tempting.

PaulD 21st July 2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Oooh, that's tempting. I love Joss Whedon and yet have only seen Serentity so am definitely going to pick this up at some point. I've heard it's an excellent series and, to be honest, don't doubt that at all.

brain dead 21st July 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 167621)
that looks awesome!
i never buy asain movies from asia as extras are never subbed in english so to me it becomes a barebones package as the I can only watch the movie so paying a lot just for a movie and a bunch of extras I cant watch its simply not worth it. But hey thats just me! :lol:

Not always true. I have a couple of Asian releases that have UK subs on the extras. Re-Cycle being one, can't off the top of my head remember the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 167624)
Just realised I posted it in UK, haha!

DOn't worry, I got your back. I posted it in the non-uk before checking this thread :lol:

nekromantik 21st July 2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain dead (Post 167641)
Not always true. I have a couple of Asian releases that have UK subs on the extras. Re-Cycle being one, can't off the top of my head remember the other.

my experience is with last few Korean SEs I have wanted all have had no english subs on extras and I will be highly surprised if this does.

The Host had none
Vengence Trilogy had none
I Saw The Devil had none.

It is rare for a Korean discs to feature english subs on extras as far as I know.

LoBo 21st July 2011 04:07 PM

I expect both editions to go out of print quickly, so if you don`t want to buy it at extortion prices later, i suggest you to pre order right now, as i did. Update: This site: http://www.k2dvd.com/shop/p_detail.a...=Search&genre=

It`s already out of stock there. I wouldn`t be suprised if both editions are already out of stock before the release date.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st July 2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 167636)
Oooh, that's tempting. I love Joss Whedon and yet have only seen Serentity so am definitely going to pick this up at some point. I've heard it's an excellent series and, to be honest, don't doubt that at all.

It is a superb series and is one of many that Fox screwed over by not realising the huge fan following, changing the time and day on which it was broadcast so it ended up being cancelled.

Although I already own the UK release, I'll probably pick this up as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoBo (Post 167689)
I expect both editions to go out of print quickly, so if you don`t want to buy it at extortion prices later, i suggest you to pre order right now, as i did. Update: This site: ::: K2DVD.com - Korean, Japanese and Asian DVD (International Shipping) :::

It`s already out of stock there. I wouldn`t be suprised if both editions are already out of stock before the release date.

I have pre-ordered the mediabook as this is probably the only film by Jee-woon Kim which I don't already own on either DVD or BD.

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st July 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

I sold my dvd version ages ago and was tempted to get the US blu-ray, Glad I waited now. At that price, the UK disc is too good to pass up! Think I may give my Serenity blu-ray another spin soon!

Refused 21st July 2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 167762)
I sold my dvd version ages ago and was tempted to get the US blu-ray, Glad I waited now. At that price, the UK disc is too good to pass up! Think I may give my Serenity blu-ray another spin soon!

I did the same. Gonna wait to watch the series through again before I watch Serenity though.

Stephen@Cult Labs 21st July 2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 167765)
I did the same. Gonna wait to watch the series through again before I watch Serenity though.

I saw Serenity before I watched a single episode of Firefly. To say I was annoyed at one part of the film would be an understatement! :lol:

kingofwitches666 21st July 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

I found this a bit spooky actually blob. Me & my mate were talking about this movie earlier today (were both big fans) & I said I would love a blu-ray upgrade.

Obviously the gods were listening, just pre-ordered the coffee book Ltd Ed.

Cheers for the heads up mate. :D

Pete 24th July 2011 07:46 PM

Rambo - The Complete Collection Special Grenade Packaging Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: Sylvester Stallone: Film & TV

Refused 24th July 2011 07:49 PM

Pretty cool packaging, but it's £34 less to get the regular boxset. Doesn't really seem worth it.

dream demon 24th July 2011 08:07 PM

Just found this on Amazon from Eureka MOC.

Silent Running 1971 Masters of Cinema Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: Bruce Dern, Douglas Trumbull: Film & TV

It says "limited edition", so I wonder if this is going to be another steelbook?

*Edit*

Just found this one as well. Also billed as "limited edition".

Touch of Evil (1958) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Marlene Dietrich, Orson Welles: Film & TV

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th July 2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168280)

Silent Running 1971 Masters of Cinema Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: Bruce Dern, Douglas Trumbull: Film & TV

It says "limited edition", so I wonder if this is going to be another steelbook?

I pre-ordered it the other day along with Touch of Evil.

I don't think either will be a steelbook, just limited run (around 3000 I think).

the blob 24th July 2011 08:36 PM

I'll be getting both. Sounds like the Ltd Ed thing is to try and inspire more people to buy early and help sales. Some people have been moaning about it but fine with it. The better and quicker the turnover, the more titles we can expect. I didnt expect to see something like Silent Running anytime soon frankly and it's a great piece of Sci-Fi.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 11:53 AM

Cover art now up for Optimum's upcoming release of the classic Kind Hearts and Coronets:

http://images2.blu-ray.com/movies/co...0490_large.jpg

Pretty decent. :coolblue:

dream demon 25th July 2011 12:55 PM

A few more interesting pre-orders. It looks like we are getting some really interesting releases later this year. :)

The Frighteners [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Michael J. Fox, Peter Jackson: Film & TV

Heavenly Creatures Remastered [Blu ray] [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Kate Winslet, Melanie Lynskey, Peter Jackson: Film & TV

Quatermass And The Pit - Double Play Blu-ray + DVD: Amazon.co.uk: James Donald, Andrew Keir, Barbara Shelley, Roy Ward Baker: Film & TV

I hope this means more of Optimum's Hammer releases coming to Blu-ray.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168280)

*Edit*

Just found this one as well. Also billed as "limited edition".

Touch of Evil (1958) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Marlene Dietrich, Orson Welles: Film & TV

I've added both to my wish list while I look around and see if Amazon is the cheapest place.

hallo37 25th July 2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168373)

All pre-ordered! As well as SILENT RUNNING. I'm going to have to sell a kidney at this rate:tongue1:
On another note AI NO CORRIDA has been passed uncut by the BBFC - without the optical reframing, thought that scene wouldve been illegal in this country under the Protection of Children Act :confused:
Title « British Board of Film Classification

dream demon 25th July 2011 03:51 PM

I've pre-ordered both as it's my birthday in September and I always get Amazon vouchers. :clap:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168425)
I've pre-ordered both as it's my birthday in September and I always get Amazon vouchers. :clap:

What great Birthday presents! :thumb:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168425)

I could buy them as a belated present for my mum, but I doubt she'd appreciate them. Maybe Silent Running, but I want that for myself!

antmumford 25th July 2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 168373)

I hope this means more Peter Jackson ;) bring on Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles and Braindead I say.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th July 2011 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 168535)
I hope this means more Peter Jackson ;) bring on Bad Taste, Meet The Feebles and Braindead I say.

Amen to that! An extras laden release of Bad Taste would be great, a Blu-ray release of Meet The Feebles of any sort would be more than welcome but Braindead is a must as long as it has that title and preferably both cuts of the film.

Hugh 27th July 2011 07:54 PM

Woohoo. Candyman coming to UK blu on 3rd October. :clap:

Candyman (1992) - Blu-ray in October/2011 - Blu-ray Forum

Candyman Blu-ray (United Kingdom)

I doubt we'll get the uncut print we had on VHS back in the day, but I'm hopeful for a 5.1 lossless HD audio track. :pray:

"They will say that I have shed innocent blood. But what's blood for, if not for shedding?":cool:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th July 2011 07:59 PM

That's a very welcome release and I love the artwork. It would be great if the unrated version was submitted to the BBFC as it would undoubtedly be passed uncut with an 18 certificate and be a major selling point worldwide.

Somehow, however, I doubt they'll go to the expense but I really hope to be proved wrong.

the blob 27th July 2011 09:49 PM

I'd watch out, Hugh. Your post mentions the C word three times...

kingofwitches666 27th July 2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 169000)
I'd watch out, Hugh. Your post mentions the C word three times...

:fear: :bolt:

Baseball Fury 27th July 2011 10:59 PM

New "gold writing" blu-ray releases to go with Stand By Me and Taxi Driver.

DAS BOOT Directors Cut and the mighty BOYZ IN THE HOOD