Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Upcoming UK Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1782-upcoming-uk-blu-ray-releases.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 177434)
I need to pick this up... ;)

More

http://a.dv1.us/p1/983/165983-d0.jpg

I've never seen it, but will give it a rental before deciding whether to add it to my collection -- the same goes for The Valley and every other BD the BFI release!

Daemonia 29th August 2011 11:59 PM

More is very much a product of its time, but fascinating nonetheless. It also has a soundtrack from the monumental Pink Floyd. In talking of films that Floyd scored, I prefer this one over the rather boring Zabriskie Point. Glad that this edition of More will have an uncut presentation of the film.

platostotal 30th August 2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 177465)
No, I've never seen this one.

I hadn't realised it had been released either!

THE VALLEY is a bit slow, but Pink Floyd do us proud. The Finale theme is top notch, a bit of a late night chill out watch, made for a... um... Happy viewer, ahem. Now where's me Rizzla packet.

dream demon 30th August 2011 06:25 AM

Updated artwork from Amazon for the JP Trilogy - I think it looks quite swish! :cool:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

dream demon 30th August 2011 06:33 AM

I'm quite tempted by this. :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...8L._AA300_.jpg

The Pacific / Band Of Brothers - Limited Edition Gift Set HBO Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Joe Mazzello, James Badge Dale, Ron Livingston, Scott Grimes, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Gary Goetzman: Film & TV

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th August 2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 177587)
Updated artwork from Amazon for the JP Trilogy - I think it looks quite swish! :cool:

I really like that packaging. :nod:

The problem is that I can't stand the two JP sequels, so will be passing on this one!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th August 2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 177589)

The problem is that I can't stand the two JP sequels, so will be passing on this one!

I'm the same as I'd really buy that for the first one, so it would be a bit of a waste of money. The same goes for the limited edition set with the T Rex, which looks excellent, but would really be a luxury purchase and there are many more films I like (or want to see for the first time) than the Jurassic Park sequels.

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th August 2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 177589)

That'll sit nicely with my Back To The Future tin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nekromantik 30th August 2011 06:08 PM

i disagree its the same as the dvd trilogy dvd boxset.
I was wanting a steely with some awesome new artwork!

dream demon 30th August 2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 177663)
That'll sit nicely with my Back To The Future tin.

I saw one of those BTTF tins on Amazon this morning - yours for a cool £1000. :eek:

nekromantik 2nd September 2011 09:44 PM

am tempted to buy the pulp fiction steely!

Rik 2nd September 2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 178551)

Me too, my favourite non-horror film

Violence is Italian Art

nekromantik 2nd September 2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 178555)
Me too, my favourite non-horror film

Violence is Italian Art

£16 aint too bad for a steely but as its a catalog title it would been around £11 on its own so £5 for the steely which will double in price when sold OOP!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd September 2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

I've pre-ordered it as it'll probably be limited edition run and the prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace will skyrocket a few months after they've all been sold.

Rik 4th September 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 178596)
I've pre-ordered it as it'll probably be limited edition run and the prices on eBay and Amazon Marketplace will skyrocket a few months after they've all been sold.

Me too, I hope this contains the trivia track that's on my 2 disc DVD

Violence is Italian Art

Rik 5th September 2011 12:37 PM

This looks tempting Phantom of the Opera (Ultimate Edition) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Lon Chaney, Rupert Julien: Film & TV

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th September 2011 01:18 PM

It looks very tempting indeed and, as Park Circus has done tremendous work with the recent Chaplin BDs, the restoration of The Phantom of the Opera should hopefully be painstaking and look superb.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th September 2011 11:39 AM

I've just heard from Studio Canal (now having officially taken over Optimum at every level) to say Quatermass and the Pit has been pushed back to October 10.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th September 2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 179228)
I've just heard from Studio Canal (now having officially taken over Optimum at every level) to say Quatermass and the Pit has been pushed back to October 10.

That's a shame - I was really looking forward to it arriving at the end of the month. :(

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th September 2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 179273)
That's a shame - I was really looking forward to it arriving at the end of the month. :(

So was I, but apparently review discs will be sent out next week so I'll be able to let you know what the AV quality is like before I write my full review.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th September 2011 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Freemantle have got to be taking this piss with their Straw Dogs BD "artwork". At least it's packed with extras!

Audio commentary by Katy Haber (Dialogue Director and Peckinpah's associate, close friend and PA)
Audio commentary by Peckinpah biographers Garner Simmons, David Weddle and Paul Seydor
Isolated Oscar nominated score by Jerry Fielding
2.0 Stereo audio
Optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired
Interviews with actress Susan George, producer Dan Melnick and Garner Simmons (author of “Peckinpah: A Portrait In Montage)
Stills galleries
Original US theatrical trailer
TV and radio spots
1971 on location documentary
Before and After restoration comparisons
Straw Dogs and the Censors
The Peckinpah-Pinter Letters
Sam and Dan correspondence
Why Call The Film Straw Dogs?
The Dan Melnick-BBFC Letters
The Times review and critic outrage
New York Times articles
1972 BBFC defence against local authority banning
1999 BBFC Home Video Statement
2002 BBFC Home Video Statement
2001 Uncut magazine feature
Consider This A Bad Review
The deleted Pub Scene
•Film facts and trivia

PaulD 7th September 2011 06:34 PM

That artwork is a bloody disgrace. The colour scheme is clearly done to capitalise on ther art for the remake

That's a great selection of extras though. Are some of them on the 2-disc dvd? I only own the bare bones R2 version so will ikely be picking this up.

nekromantik 7th September 2011 08:00 PM

im tempted to get straw dogs.
got some vouchers so ends up £9

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th September 2011 08:41 PM

Hate the artwork, but love the extras. It's a tough choice, but the bonus features are slightly more important than the artwork, so it'll be a definite purchase.

Rik 7th September 2011 08:43 PM

That artwork looks like King Kong's nose!!

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th September 2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 179554)
It's a tough choice, but the bonus features are slightly more important than the artwork, so it'll be a definite purchase.

I already have the original Freemantle dvd with the extras. This artwork is piss poor. The MGM blu-ray artwork is much better.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th September 2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 179561)
I already have the original Freemantle dvd with the extras. This artwork is piss poor. The MGM blu-ray artwork is much better.

I also have the Fremantle DVD, so may look at the MGM BD instead. I hope to review the UK BD, so I hope it has remastered picture and sound which is a real step up from the DVD.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th September 2011 09:01 PM

Tbh, I'm not sure if this new BD (and 2 disc dvd) has more extras than the original dvd. I could still be tempted.

nekromantik 7th September 2011 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 179565)
Tbh, I'm not sure if this new BD (and 2 disc dvd) has more extras than the original dvd. I could still be tempted.

here are the specs from the UK dvd :)

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Straw Dogs (1971)

dream demon 8th September 2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

I've pre-ordered it along with the X-Men: First Class steely :nod:; if I don't like the X-Men it should be easy enough to move on.

nekromantik 9th September 2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 179764)
I've pre-ordered it along with the X-Men: First Class steely :nod:; if I don't like the X-Men it should be easy enough to move on.

i got xmen steely on pre order. its a great flick!

antmumford 9th September 2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 179764)

If you don't like it I'll take it off your hands no problem. Remember I SHOTGUN this one :tongue1:

It's a fantastic film though so doubt you won't like it, saw it twice at thecinema cos it was that good and I rarely ever do that. :pop2:

Mojo 9th September 2011 03:14 PM

Network are releasing the pilot Sweeney play Regan in October.

Regan (Blu-ray): Network DVD

Even better, they're currently working on the entire Sweeney tv series for a Blu-ray release! :woot:

Baseball Fury 9th September 2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 179852)
Even better, they're currently working on the entire Sweeney tv series for a Blu-ray release! :woot:

That would be incredible!

dream demon 10th September 2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 179852)
Network are releasing the pilot Sweeney play Regan in October.

Regan (Blu-ray): Network DVD

That is awesome news. :clap: First day purchase for me, me thinks. :nod: I hope Optimum get around to releasing the two other movies on BD as they already have them as a nice double-disc DVD set.

There are some nice pre-orders on Amazon at the moment -

Looking at the specs, this should be a good release; I hope the picture quality is suitably stunning!

Ben-Hur - Ultimate Collector's Edition 1959 Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Charlton Heston, Jack Hawkins, Stephen Boyd, William Wyler: Film & TV

At this price I'm hoping for something nicer than just the original Amaray-case releases with some flimsy card wrapped around them. :(

The Girl Who... Millennium Trilogy Extended Versions Blu-ray: Amazon.co.uk: Noomi Rapace, Michael Nyqvist, Lena Endre, Peter Andersson, Annika Hallin, Nils Arden Oplev, Daniel Alfredson: Film & TV

A great series, but a bit pricey for me at the moment!

Farscape - The Complete Collection Series 1-4 Blu-ray Region Free: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

I know this has been mentioned before, but this is a definite purchase for me, and a good price too for 7 BDs. :happy:

Nightmare On Elm Street 1-7 [Blu-ray][Region Free]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

Two of the funniest films EVER!

Airplane! [1980] [Blu-ray][Region Free]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

The Naked Gun [Blu-ray][Region Free]: Amazon.co.uk: Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, O.J. Simpson, Ricardo Montalban, George Kennedy, David Zucker: Film & TV

Imho Brian Cox owns Sir Anthony Hopkins! :lol: For me, this is the thinking man's Hannibal Lecter film and it's great to see this on BD. :pop2:

Manhunter [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: William Petersen, Kim Griest, Michael Mann: Film & TV

nekromantik 10th September 2011 12:13 PM

i got the girl trilogy pre ordered :)
used a £20 amazon voucher from love film

im very disappointed that the UK set does not include the 52 min doc thats on the US set otherwise they identical.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th September 2011 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good on Optimum! :woot:

Daemonia 14th September 2011 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 179779)
If you don't like it I'll take it off your hands no problem. Remember I SHOTGUN this one :tongue1:

Are you usually in the habit of discharging firearms at your DVD/BD collection, Ant?

antmumford 14th September 2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 180960)
Are you usually in the habit of discharging firearms at your DVD/BD collection, Ant?

Yeah of course, it's the only reason I buy DVDs and BDs, I actually hate films to be honest. It's how I vent my frustration. :crazy:

bdc 17th September 2011 03:18 PM

The Persuaders hit blu,has this been mentioned? ;)
Persuaders! (The): The Complete Series (Blu-ray): Network DVD

Btw what's keeping The Avengers and The New Avengers hitting blu?
Seriously!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7IrO3g-snY