Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   Upcoming Non-UK Blu-ray Releases (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/1971-upcoming-non-uk-blu-ray-releases.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th April 2012 11:04 PM

I have the Olive release of Fassbinder's Despair, and it is superb.

the blob 5th April 2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 229107)
DR. TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS has been confirmed as a movie they'll be releasing, too. Just some time later on...

Forgot all about that from the other thread! Let the games continue...

I'm still wandering who will be releasing Corruption over there.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 6th April 2012 03:33 PM

Artwork for Redemption's The Rape of the Vampire:

http://images4.static-bluray.com/mov...9831_large.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th April 2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 229313)
Artwork for Redemption's The Rape of the Vampire:

http://images4.static-bluray.com/mov...9831_large.jpg

I prefer Rick Melton's painted artwork on the Elektrocity DVD hardbox for being so outrageous, but that one fits with the rest of the Redemption BDs very well and isn't too shabby itself!

bgart13 7th April 2012 07:07 PM

September 25th from Raro: NIGHT OF THE DEVILS!!! Bd & dvd!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th April 2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 229638)

That'll be preordered as soon as the option is available. Fantastic news.

ReturnToZero 7th April 2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 229638)

Blu-ray too? I dosen't sound like Raro to release the DVD and BD the same day. bizarre_eye knows what i'm talking about ;)

Paul@TheOverlook 7th April 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 228637)
Exactly and I don't have any friends in Aus to pick it up for me.... I need new friends :rolleyes: :pound:

Re: Wake in Fright

Sorry, only just seen this. I bought mine new from eBay when it came out in Kate '09. It wasn't cheap, around £25. Might be that it's come down in price since then as it had only just cone out when I bought it.

the blob 8th April 2012 12:40 AM

Another job for bluraysforeveryone or whatever he's called. I'm sure Stephen will be on it shortly. :)

Delta Force & MIA 1 & 2 Walmart exclusives!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6000674

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th April 2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 229710)
Another job for bluraysforeveryone or whatever he's called. I'm sure Stephen will be on it shortly. :)

Delta Force & MIA 1 & 2 Walmart exclusives!

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=6000674

You would think so! Unfortunately those covers are dogshit, so I won't be buying them

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 229739)
You would think so! Unfortunately those covers are dogshit, so I won't be buying them

I'm with you on that. Talk about generic Photoshop banality.

the blob 8th April 2012 01:17 PM

I'm always on the side of 'better shit than none'. :)

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th April 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 229816)
I'm always on the side of 'better shit than none'. :)

:lol: not me I'm afraid. I'll stick with my dvds :)

Paul@TheOverlook 8th April 2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 229739)

Dogshit, excellent!

Daemonia 8th April 2012 02:22 PM

I actually don't mind those Chuck Norris covers. Especially since I'd spend more time watching the movie than staring at the cover.

I've never understood the mentality whereby you won't buy a film because of the cover. Are you really saying that the cover is more important to you than the actual movie that's on the disc? I don't get it, myself. Not really being critical, just struggling to understand the mentality that will deprive you of a movie you want based solely on the fact that you don't like the cover. Is it really that important?

Paul@TheOverlook 8th April 2012 02:28 PM

I've got stacks of DVDs and Blu-rays that feature shoddy artwork and agree, the film is the most important thing.

I'm sure Stephen can explain for himself but I think his reasoning is that he recently bought German DVD editions of some of the titles because they feature original artwork, so it's not like he's shunning an opportunity to own the films.

Stephen@Cult Labs 8th April 2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 229823)
I actually don't mind those Chuck Norris covers. Especially since I'd spend more time watching the movie than staring at the cover.

I've never understood the mentality whereby you won't buy a film because of the cover. Are you really saying that the cover is more important to you than the actual movie that's on the disc? I don't get it, myself. Not really being critical, just struggling to understand the mentality that will deprive you of a movie you want based solely on the fact that you don't like the cover. Is it really that important?

For me, it's as important as the film inside the box. And as Paul has mentioned, I bought the German Delta Force dvd for the original artwork, I'm not about to pay, what will probably be around £60-65 for 3 Chuck Norris BD's. But strangely enough, I wouldn't have minded paying that If they used the original poster art. Just one of my many eccentricities.

keirarts 8th April 2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 229830)
For me, it's as important as the film inside the box. And as Paul has mentioned, I bought the German Delta Force dvd for the original artwork, I'm not about to pay, what will probably be around £60-65 for 3 Chuck Norris BD's. But strangely enough, I wouldn't have minded paying that If they used the original poster art. Just one of my many eccentricities.

just to stick my 10 cents worth in, my dad was a second hand book collector/dealer and a lot of collectors of modern first editions where very picky about dust covers ect, one could argue that the contents inside are more important but I do think to some collectors the package as a whole has value as part of a collection.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2012 09:23 PM

That's an interesting analogy.

Daemonia 8th April 2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 229830)

Fair enough, mate. I genuinely wasn't being critical, I just can't get my head around not buying a film based on the cover art. But each to their own and all that - you have to buy what makes you happy, now that I understand. :)

the blob 8th April 2012 11:58 PM

By the way Stephen, Chuck Norris called and he says he wants a word with you...

Hugh 9th April 2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 229940)

:lol:

That genuinely made me laugh out loud.

You're in bother now, Stephen. ;). Chuck is everywhere, and knows who's not appreciative. :pound:

Paul@TheOverlook 9th April 2012 02:35 AM

Just swear at the bearded tw@, Stephen. That'll sort him out.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2012 07:32 AM

I just don't understand MGM/Fox. They just releases The Delta Force, Lone Wolf McQaude and Code Of Silence on dvd in Germany using the original poster art, and Braddock: MIA 3 will be released soon (perhaps on blu-ray too), then the US branch turns sround and gives us this crap.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 229964)
I just don't understand MGM/Fox. They just releases The Delta Force, Lone Wolf McQaud and Code Of Silence on dvd in Germany using the original poster art, and Braddock:MIA 3 will be released soon (perhaps on blu-ray too), then the US branch turns sround and gives us this crap.

Perhaps, when it comes to artwork, Germans are much more discerning than Americans? After all, look at the Hardboxes with retro artwork available from Germany, Austria and Switzerland compared to the US.

Paul@TheOverlook 9th April 2012 07:45 AM

We've MGM to blame for this whole mess, I reckon. It was after all the Lion-branded studio who ushered-in the bland-looking covers when it rereleased the Bond films on VHS in 1995. I for one just do not understand who it is that this particular style of "artwork" is supposed to entice.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 229966)
I for one just do not understand who it is that this particular style of "artwork" is supposed to entice.

Probably people who buy a DVD/BD based on the title alone and not the artwork or specs – they probably make up most of the sales.

Paul@TheOverlook 9th April 2012 08:40 AM

You're right about the casual
Buyer being the dominant factor in sales but I still couldn't tell you why they'd buy something with a pony Photoshopped cover over something utilising the original artwork. These bland images don't really "sex" the films up, do they? :D

robertzombie 9th April 2012 11:57 AM

I suppose it modernises them for the younger audience. A lot of young people simply won't buy a film if it looks "old".

I was in a film lecture during my undergrad degree and the lecturer screened a black and white film. The student behind me said to her friend "oh, I won't like it, it's not in colour". :doh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 229971)
You're right about the casual
Buyer being the dominant factor in sales but I still couldn't tell you why they'd buy something with a pony Photoshopped cover over something utilising the original artwork. These bland images don't really "sex" the films up, do they? :D

No, not at all. However, they tend to dominate posters for new cinema releases and most DVD/BD covers.

It seems creativity is, with some exceptions, a lost art and, if something can be done quickly and easily on a computer, that's exactly what most distributors will choose.

Rik 9th April 2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 229940)

He better come and have a word with me too then because I think all his films are just as dogshit as those BD artworks ;)

Daemonia 9th April 2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 230057)
He better come and have a word with me too then because I think all his films are just as dogshit as those BD artworks ;)

Chuck's coming after you.

When Chuck does press ups, he doesn't push himself up, he pushes the earth down. Be afraid.

:lol:

Rik 9th April 2012 01:22 PM

I'm not scared of that bearded twat, I've beaten cancer twice, I'm sure I can handle an old fart like him ha ha

Paul@TheOverlook 9th April 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 230034)
No, not at all. However, they tend to dominate posters for new cinema releases and most DVD/BD covers.

It seems creativity is, with some exceptions, a lost art and, if something can be done quickly and easily on a computer, that's exactly what most distributors will choose.

"Quick, easy and without any merit" certainly describes a lot of today's new films.

Paul@TheOverlook 9th April 2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 230060)
I'm not scared of that bearded twat, I've beaten cancer twice, I'm sure I can handle an old fart like him ha ha

Wow, you really are a guy made of tough stuff, Rik. :)

Daemonia 9th April 2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Is Cancer an action movie villain I've not heard of?

Sorry, that's probably in bad taste... :lol:

(Seriously, just kidding)

Rik 9th April 2012 03:11 PM

Ha ha, don't worry, I'm not offended

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Wow! You're obviously an extremely tough guy.

ReturnToZero 9th April 2012 05:32 PM

A Blu-ray release of Mark of the Devil was released 2-3 weeks ago. Anyone knows if it's any good?

Mark of the Devil Blu-ray (Austria)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th April 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReturnToZero (Post 230136)
A Blu-ray release of Mark of the Devil was released 2-3 weeks ago. Anyone knows if it's any good?

Mark of the Devil Blu-ray (Austria)

That looks nice.

DTM have it for €29.99, but also state that it isn't released until 04/05.

They have some specs listed, too:

Quote:

DVD & Blu-Ray:
* Videokommentar mit Gabi Fuchs, Percy Hoven, Udo Kier, Dieter Menz, Wigbert Wickert und Filmhistoriker Uwe Huber
* Audiokommentar mit Regisseur Michael Armstrong

Bonus-Disc:
* Interviews:
- Interview Udo Kier
- Interview Herbert Fux
- Interview Gabi Fuchs
- Interview Ingeborg Schöner
- Interview Michael Maien
- Interview Percy Hoven
- Audiointerview & Slideshow Herbert Lom

* Verlängerte Szenen & Outtakes

* Kinotrailer
- USA (16:9)
- USA (4:3)
- Deutsch (HD)

* Poster- & Fotogalerie
* Musikvideo "Witches! Witches! Rest Now In The Fire" - Get Well Soon

Ländercode
2 PAL / B
- Uncut

Untertitel
Deutsch
Deutsch für Hörgeschädigte

Audio
Deutsch Dolby Digital 2.0
Deutsch Dolby Digital 5.1
Deutsch DTS HD 5.1
Englisch Dolby Digital 2.0
Englisch Dolby Digital 5.1
Englisch DTS HD 5.1

It'll be interesting to know how much of the additional content is English language friendly and what the PQ/AQ is like.