Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Inspector Abberline 15th April 2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528343)
The Day of the Triffids (1962)

For a first time viewing i was a little disappointed with The Day of the Triffids. For a post apocalyptic film it seems to lack the threat of battling for survival in a strange new world albeit a world we already live in. It feels flat due to lack of zip and decidedly average direction, with only the lighthouse scenes (which since watching i've found out were directed by Freddie Francis, not credited director Steve Sekerly, and added to the movie at post production) standing out, as far as atmosphere and terror go.

There are moments of suspense such as the attack on the house and the initial Triffid lighthouse scene but it's a shame to say this, the Triffids are quite poorly realised, seemingly being pushed and pulled around by offscreen stage hands.The clunkiness of it all makes it feel like a 60's Doctor Who story rather than a feature film. For the most part the film is a rampaging monster fest rather than the original John Wyndham novels emphasis on surviving the apocalypse. The way the Triffids are dealt with - salt water - smacks of the War of the Worlds easy solution as does leading the plants away by using the sound from an ice cream van.

Despite some reservations The Day of the Triffids isn't a bad film, it's just an average film very loosely based on a classic post apocalyptic novel. The BBC's 1981 tv version is a far more faithful version of the story. It's also a far more chilling experience.

The new Screenbound dvd is average at best. The picture is quite soft in places and works best in the studio shot scenes. The sound quality is excellent.

I rather enjoyed this to be honest.
As a genre there has been a few killer plant movies,segment in Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors , Donald Pleasance turning young 1970s students into plants in The Mutations,Steve King going green in The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill episode of Creepshow and Im sure there is another killer vine movie out there somewhere's and there has bound to of been at least one Dr Who episode with a rampaging plant in its story. I suppose on the whole we see plants as rather sedentary and placid things,plus they do not have legs which makes it easy to runaway from. Still this all changed with John Wyndham's novel The Day of the Triffids,as these lumbering penis shaped rose bushes manage to waddle around quite well and blind and kill anybody they came across including the odd canine.Of course when ever its gets a bit Beyond the Thunderdome on earth,its not just the killer plants that are the problem but the surviving humans,most of which are blinded by a meteorite,are bumping into things and just generally annoying each other.In this 1962 adaptation Howard Keel is the last man standing as he was all bandaged up in hospital ,(how convenient a plot device) when the rest of the planet was getting bombarded by an early fireworks night. Its no secret that 28 Days Later (2002) was influenced by this part of the story,which is good because they ripped it off whole sale id say. But like slow zombies and the Inland revenue,the Triffids always manage to get you when you least expect it.And while they might look like the kind of trees you would get in a school play,the Triffids in this version do have a kind of weird nightmare appearance,even if they do shuffle along like an old lady .Its all great B-movie fun,especially when Keel goes all Rambo with his machine gun,something he never did in Dallas.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528364)
That's no way to speak of Solaris. :tongue1:

There is only one Solaris!

All copies of Clooney's version need to be ejected out of the nearest airlock into deep space.

Nordicdusk 15th April 2017 01:52 PM

What have you done to Solange ?

Quite disappointed after hearing so much praise like i said earlier the word masterpiece is used so many times to describe this. Heavy on TA&M light on blood so many better giallos out there that have gotten far less praise

6/10

sjconstable 15th April 2017 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 528370)
Gialli isn't really arthouse, although it does certainly make use of its visual aesthetic / colour palette at times and comparisons can certainly be drawn.

Plus, I kind of agree in many ways, as certain gialli have become more 'mainstream' due to modern homages and directors like QT and Eli Roth bigging them up, they have consequently drawn a more modern mainstream following and I've no doubt that certain viewers give certain films more of a pass as they're seen to be cool rather than actually enjoying them / not enjoying them for what they are. Or as you've mentioned, just assuming that they're great without even seeing them for themselves for whatever reason.

A lot of the more mainstream gialli offerings are not necessarily as good as some of the more obscure offerings in my opinion - some of which are much more crazier and trippier than their more well-known cousins. Some had to employ plot-arcs and situations that would make them stand out from the crowd. Unless you're prepared to dig deeper into the gialli melting pot then a lot of the mainstream offerings are all you have to reference too, and a strong name in the director's chair, bigger production budgets and larger awareness does not necessarily mean they're the cream of the crop. It's just like the slasher craze. There are some great under-seen gems that are a little more creative with their formula and some of the more mainstream ones are very dreary, yet attract more acclaim due to being more well-known and popular with the masses. Maybe that's just me though... maybe I do like a lot of shit and the mainstream ones that everyone else likes are truly great. :lol:

Plus, I wouldn't consider myself a 'mob' in any respect! ;)

Which ones are you a fan of?

Nordicdusk 15th April 2017 02:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 189371 Attachment 189372

Long time since i last saw this not sure if what i remember is part 2 or this one.

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 02:53 PM

Welp (2014, Jonas Govaerts)

A cub scout troop encounter some REAL wildlife when they go on a nature trip. Far more conventional than I was expecting ... but still some nice touches. Worth a look (if you can find it ahem!)

;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 528380)
Welp (2014, Jonas Govaerts)

A cub scout troop encounter some REAL wildlife when they go on a nature trip. Far more conventional than I was expecting ... but still some nice touches. Worth a look (if you can find it ahem!)

;)

Is it not available anymore? It had a UK release as Cub a couple of years back.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528387)

It's available to buy new and used at Amazon. I watched this Cub release, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cub-Welp-DV...dp/B00UFT9U5M/

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 528394)
It's available to buy new and used at Amazon. I watched this Cub release, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cub-Welp-DV...dp/B00UFT9U5M/

Ha,ha Nice price!

I thought it must still be available. D threw me saying 'if you can find it'.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528395)
Ha,ha Nice price!

I thought it must still be available. D threw me saying 'if you can find it'.

It's £7.79 direct from Music Magpie!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 528397)
It's £7.79 direct from Music Magpie!

It's a good film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 496750)
Cub (2014)

I much prefer this Belgian films original title of Welp. It sounds far more comical yet oddly sinister at the same time which actually describes the film better. The tale of a group of cub scouts or welp's who go into the woods on a camping trip. It's not all fun for young Sam though whose picked on by the rest of the group. It's when Sam hears the campfire tale of the legend of Kai, a feral boy creature that haunts the woods, that things take a turn for the sinister.

Seeing as i love outdoor / backwoods horror this was always going to be a hit with me. Cub isn't heavy on the gore or any exploitative elements in particular, seemingly focusing on characters until the final half hour when it explodes in violence and weirdness. The buried bus complete with passengers was extremely creepy.

Sure there are flaws and one line where a cub leader casually insults a couple of French youths would see a British person hounded on Twitter for racist abuse for all eternity had they uttered it, however overlook them and Cub is a satisfying horror film with a seriously brilliant poster.

J Harker 15th April 2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528399)
It's a good film.

Ooh. That's on Now TV I think. Hadn't taken much notice of it before.

Nordicdusk 15th April 2017 03:50 PM

Poltergeist III

Quite entertaining entry in the series i love the effects the only downside is weak dialogue which mostly consists of people shouting Carol Ann seriously you wouldn't believe it until you watch it again holy shit it gets annoying pretty fast.

Still its a solid 7/10

Nordicdusk 15th April 2017 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 189381 Attachment 189382

Maniac

It's dirty sleazy grimy filthy but damn it's beautiful

9/10

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528387)

I just couldn't find it on a shelf so had to resort to the internet. Old fashioned maybe ... ;)

bleakshaun 15th April 2017 07:31 PM

just watched The Last Horror Film aka Fanatic
that was better than I thought. A obsessive fan of a horror actress travels to cannes film festival to try to get her to star in his horror film, during the time there many members of the actresses entourage go missing or die. what makes this a great movie for me is the performance by Spinnell who plays out as a deranged individual who gets submerged in his own fantasies.

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 08:00 PM

Both Maniac and Fanatic are portraits of despair.

Now watching easily the worst film I've seen this year.

Dont Knock Twice (Caradog James, 2016)
For fans of The Haunting (1999). ;)
Imagine if Bay made a horror film etc ....
OR
It's another Asian remake that's slipped through the net :pound:
Replaces Greasy Strangler as biggest waste of time this year.
And it's that bland sort of direness ... not even unintentionally funny etc.
Ahem.
AVOID.

Nordicdusk 15th April 2017 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to go out for dinner managed to get the first house film in when i got back. Good bit of fun with some great creature effects nothing to be taken seriously just a good brainless old time.

Next up

Attachment 189409

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 528377)
Which ones are you a fan of?

Quite a few, I've seen hundreds of them and to be honest I've yet to find one that I've really disliked. Some of my current favourites include:

Death Laid an Egg (1969)
In the Folds of the Flesh (1970)
Interrabang (1969)
The Killer Reserved Nine Seats (1974)
Libido (1965)
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)
Pensione Paura (1977)
The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974)
Smile Before Death (1972)
The Weapon, The Hour, The Motive (1972)

Here is a full(er) list of my favourites mixed in with general Italian Horror, as frequently the genre lines are blurred where gialli is concerned, with some tilting towards the fantastical, some the euro-crime and others the gothic.

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 09:57 PM

After all that quite liked the ending of DKT :laugh:

Ahem.
Best Of The Best II (1993)
The boys are back. Well ... Roberts, Penn and Philip Rhee anyhow.;)
After some preamble Penn suffers a setback somewhat ...leaving the other two in a quandry. Knock the shit outta the local illegal fight syndicate? Or practise their chanting instead?
Il leave it to your imagination ....:lol:
Features nastiest sounding bone crunch I've heard yet ....:eek:

sjconstable 15th April 2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 528461)
Quite a few, I've seen hundreds of them and to be honest I've yet to find one that I've really disliked. Some of my current favourites include:

Death Laid an Egg (1969)
In the Folds of the Flesh (1970)
Interrabang (1969)
The Killer Reserved Nine Seats (1974)
Libido (1965)
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)
Pensione Paura (1977)
The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974)
Smile Before Death (1972)
The Weapon, The Hour, The Motive (1972)

Here is a full(er) list of my favourites mixed in with general Italian Horror, as frequently the genre lines are blurred where gialli is concerned, with some tilting towards the fantastical, some the euro-crime and others the gothic.

I really want Camera Obscura to release Smile Before Death and The Weapon, The Hour, The Motive. Unfortunately they said that Smile Before Death is with a lab that they don't want to work with :(

Here are some well-known gialli that I'm NOT a fan of (some will shock some people lol):

A Bay of Blood
A Blade in the Dark
Blood & Black Lace
Cat O'Nine Tails
Delirium
Five Dolls for an August Moon
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
Iguana with the Tongue of Fire
The Midnight Killer
Murder Rock
Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye
Slaughter Hotel
Torso

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 10:51 PM

Forgot to mention BOTB II features human frog Wayne Newton, an excruciating ravey ST (except Mark Free's awful title power ballad :pound:)
Ahem.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 528477)
Here are some well-known gialli that I'm NOT a fan of (some will shock some people lol):

Cat O'Nine Tails

The Girl Who Knew Too Much

In my opinion Cat is up there with the worst of Argento. So, so overrated.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much i find really boring.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th April 2017 11:09 PM

Is Nordy still awake?

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 528496)
Is Nordy still awake?

Did you notice despite being awake and watching a lot of shite for 24 hours his posting never really deteriorated. First to last it was as bad as ever! :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 15th April 2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528497)
Did you notice despite being awake and watching a lot of shite for 24 hours his posting never really deteriorated. First to last it was as bad as ever! :lol:

Haha.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 528498)
Haha.

He does seem to have disappeared. His marathon should be coming to an end soon.

Actually it depends on how long he took for dinner.

Has he never heard of tv dinners? :lol:

All credit to him though. I couldn't do it.

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 11:24 PM

Braddock (1988, Aaron Norris)
This is the last of the Chuck pile of vhs. I refuse to watch Top Dog ;)
El beardo has lived with the death of his wife during the fall of Saigon for 15 years. Enough is enough!! Though I can hardly imagine a therapist recommending this course of action :lol:
Standard Cannon disregard for the norm throughout.
Argh forgot about Firewalker. That's the one where he investigates the death of Laura Palmer innit?? :behindsofa: :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 15th April 2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528499)
He does seem to have disappeared. His marathon should be coming to an end soon.

Actually it depends on how long he took for dinner.

Has he never heard of tv dinners? :lol:

All credit to him though. I couldn't do it.

He was tarting about doing his hair 45 minutes ago when I was chatting to him on FB.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 528501)
He was tarting about doing his hair 45 minutes ago when I was chatting to him on FB.

I bet he shoves a disc in the player, takes a photo then ****s off out for two hours.

Make Them Die Slowly 15th April 2017 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528502)
I bet he shoves a disc in the player, takes a photo then ****s off out for two hours.

Haha! That made me laugh out loud.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 528503)
Haha! That made me laugh out loud.

I'm sure Nordy will laugh when he gets in.

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528502)

That's how I've managed to "watch" so many of these Chuckaroos :pound:

Make Them Die Slowly 15th April 2017 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 528500)
Braddock (1988, Aaron Norris)
This is the last of the Chuck pile of vhs. I refuse to watch Top Dog ;)
El beardo has lived with the death of his wife during the fall of Saigon for 15 years. Enough is enough!! Though I can hardly imagine a therapist recommending this course of action :lol:
Standard Cannon disregard for the norm throughout.
Argh forgot about Firewalker. That's the one where he investigates the death of Laura Palmer innit?? :behindsofa: :lol:

A great idea, art house cinema remade as 80s action films.

sjconstable 15th April 2017 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 528492)
In my opinion Cat is up there with the worst of Argento. So, so overrated.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much i find really boring.

I don't think Cat is overrated, it's generally seen as pretty mediocre. Argento himself said it's his least favourite film because it's too American.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much has an amazing ability of sending me to sleep every time haha.

Inspector Abberline 15th April 2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 528509)
I don't think Cat is overrated, it's generally seen as pretty mediocre. Argento himself said it's his least favourite film because it's too American.

The Girl Who Knew Too Much has an amazing ability of sending me to sleep every time haha.

Cat is definitely underrated and not liked by many,except me coz I luv it.

Demoncrat 15th April 2017 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 528507)
A great idea, art house cinema remade as 80s action films.

:laugh:

Chuck is back as Del Cooper ... no nonsense FBI man. Faced with the task of sorting out the many suspects in a small town murder ... he leaves the talking to Diane, his trusty sawn off shotgun.;)

Inspector Abberline 15th April 2017 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 528505)
That's how I've managed to "watch" so many of these Chuckaroos :pound:

I hope were not lumping Invasion USA and the sublime Code of Silence in amongst his worst,those two are chucktastic.

Demoncrat 16th April 2017 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 528513)
I hope were not lumping Invasion USA and the sublime Code of Silence in amongst his worst,those two are chucktastic.

What, one of the great Xmas films? ;)
and the tagline for Code is worthy of Shakespeare imo ...
"No one comes near Eddie Cusack and lives ..." :laugh:
Fear not ....

iank 16th April 2017 08:16 AM

The Burning. It's the early 80s, there's a summer camp and lots of teenagers. It's either a sex comedy or a slasher flick. Well, look at the title. ;) Yes, there's a maniac on the loose hunting teenagers and some surprisingly big names in the cast in what must be their first appearance for most of them, including a young Holly Hunter (who has like one line), Fisher Stevens and Seinfeld's Jason Alexander. Yes, George is most definitely getting upset! Passable if unremarkable early 80s horror, mostly of interest for the cast.