Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Make Them Die Slowly 18th March 2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525155)
Which reminds me. I must watch Seed again. :nod:

That is a great film surely by anyone's standard.

Demoncrat 18th March 2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 525149)
I liked Statham in that Uwe Boll LOTR style thing In the Name of the King. Statham looks uncomfortable throughout!

What a cast as well. Liotta is a laugh riot etc.
Boll's comms are a SCREAM btw. ;)
The sequel with Dolph is not as bonkers sadly.

Demoncrat 18th March 2017 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525155)
Which reminds me. I must watch Seed again. :nod:

Seeeeeeed!!!!

Ahem. Great double bill with Space Fury. ;)

Make Them Die Slowly 18th March 2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 525160)
What a cast as well. Liotta is a laugh riot etc.
Boll's comms are a SCREAM btw. ;)
The sequel with Dolph is not as bonkers sadly.

I will look out for it, I have a bit of a Dolph fetish at the moment since Red Scorpion is on every bleeding time I turn on the TV at night!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 525164)
I will look out for it, I have a bit of a Dolph fetish at the moment since Red Scorpion is on every bleeding time I turn on the TV at night!

I have a scorpion fetish and that's more worrying than a Dolph fetish in anyones book. :nod::whip:

J Harker 19th March 2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525140)
Mechanic Resurrection (2016)

Basically a sequel in name only to The Mechanic, ( itself a remake of a Charles Bronson film) Jason Statham keeps the name Arthur Bishop, and the hitman guise but this is more an audition of the Stathe to be James Bond than anything else.

Not just any Bond film, no, pretty much all of them from The Spy Who Loved Me onwards can be felt in this film. In it's country hopping madness more or less every single scene of Mechanic Resurrection has been in a Bond film, and the one that wasn't - the Sydney skyscraper set piece, was nicked straight out of Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. So yes it's derivative but it's still damn good fun.

Perhaps it's a need to appeal to a wider audience i don't know, but this film although action packed, lacked the brutal violence of the first film (I was stunned The Mechanic was issued with a BBFC 15 cert such was it's brutality) but Mechanic Resurrection is still a wild thrill ride...and no, you don't need to ask, It's a Jason Statham action thriller, what do you think?

The fuffin Mechanic!!! I was rooting round in my collection last night looking for a simple undemanding actioner to watch. Completely forgot I still had the first Statham Mechanic to watch.

MuckyFunster 19th March 2017 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Portrait of a Hit Man"

This low budget action movie stars Jack Palace as Jim Buck (whose name seems to be the one word - "jimbuck" - when pronounced all the way through the film) as an artist/contract killer. He is contracted to kill his best friend who is a renowned brain surgeon with no known enemies. There is a time limit on the contract and Jim has to take his own life in his hands to find out who wants his friend dead and how can he save him!

All in all it was a decent wee low budget action movie, that even manages to get a couple of high speed driving scenes in, under the guise of it being Jim's and his pal's ... hobby...?

My DVD is a cheap release which doesn't even name the distributor on the box (a bit of googling suggests it might be Hollywood DVD Ltd), but it displays the Vipco logo at the beginning of the film, which'll give you an idea as to the picture quality ! Almost Jet Black throughout !

Glad I only paid a quid.

Attachment 188442

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin101 19th March 2017 12:06 PM

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/...on-600x334.png

I happily enjoyed The Love Witch last night with my flat mate. Essentially a contemporary film filmed as if it were the late 60s or early 70s, think Russ Meyer meets Jess Franco (although the director Anna Biller denies any such reference) meets Bewitched!

I seriously loved watching this film in all of it's glorious technicolour and gratuitous nudity. I can see this being very divisive due to the way it's directed. It's very 'stagey' the way the lines are delivered, not at all natural. I think it adds to the dreamlike nature though. It reminded me of early John Waters if only he had professional actors in his films :lol:

I imagine that most of you on here have already seen this, but if you haven't get a copy and get it watched - so much fun!

edit:: Oh yeah, I want that rug as well...

MondoBlob 19th March 2017 12:15 PM

Absurd

1 Attachment(s)
I just finished watching the 88 Films restoration of Absurd.
I can't help but think Joe Wilkinson would make a perfect lead for a remake.

Attachment 188443

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Final Girls (2015)

A group of teens go to watch the classic 80's slasher film Camp Bloodbath and inadvertently find themselves part of the movie.

Imagine The Last Action Hero (1993) but done as as a PG slasher film. A film with some fun moments but one that's allows it's ironic cleverness to get in the way. It's so consumed in it's own movie game references that it forgets it's prime objective and that is to be a horror film in it's own right.

The film does a lot right. There are good performances, especially from Taissa Farmiga, Malin Ackerman and Nina Dobrev and it certainly has a lot of clever and knowing in jokes that will be appreciated by genre fans. However it all becomes a bit wearing when you realise that's as far as we get - in jokes.

All the campy fun elements that would be in Camp Bloodbath, a definite Friday the 13th Part whatever rip off, are nowhere to be seen here - no violence, gore, nudity, swearing, and a complete lack of atmosphere, threat or suspense.

Go with Scream (1996) if you want to see a 'post modern horror with attitude' film or the under seen Midnight Movie (2008) (where the killer comes out of the screen and slashes up the punters,) if you want gore and exploitation in this type of thing. Both are far superior to The Final Girls.

nosferatu42 19th March 2017 12:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Monolith Monsters

Attachment 188446

Begins with a Ed Wood/ Criswell style voice over introduction that seems to promise a B movie cheese fest, but this ends up being surprisingly serious in the way it deals with its bizarre subject matter.

A meteor crashes to earth bringing with it sinister black space rocks which reproduce when they come into contact with water.
Eh… come again?!?, how can rocks be scary. :rolleyes:
Therein lies the greatness of the film, taking something benign and actually making a decent sic-fi invasion flick out of it.:clap:

The rocks grow when in contact with water then crumble when they reach colossal heights, falling to the ground destroying houses and crushing the inhabitants. Shattering as they fall,each small piece repeats the cycle, so effectively moving across the landscape in a creeping fungal style fashion.

So in a way this has more in common with a inferno/fire/disease outbreak style disaster flick than the usual 50’s alien invasions.

Humans that come into contact with large amounts of the rock are found "turned to stone”.:cool:
A little girl slowly begins turning to stone and the reproducing Monoliths are about to descend upon a peaceful town and destroy everything in their path.
So it’s a race against time for a scientist and his school teacher girlfriend to find a cure and end the invasion.

This shouldn’t work at all in theory and sounds really dull, but what we get is a decently acted, enjoyably entertaining and unique film.
I saw this as kid at my grans house one afternoon on T.V and it always stuck in my head, but thought it would turn out to be dull on rewatch. Happily i can say i enjoyed it once again, it’s no masterpiece but is a perfectly entertaining slice of hokum.:)
An enjoyable 7/10 from me.:pop2:

Attachment 188445

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)

Spoiled German woman gets drunk and depressed and embarks on a brief lesbian affair... without leaving her boudoir.

Two hours of boring expressionism from the supposedly wonderful Rainer Werner Fassbinder. You can gush about static camera shots, deep focus photography and emotional anguish all you want but this is still a stagy, oddly camp and utterly sleep inducing experience.

Farewell Rainer, our relationship was brief but not to be and never the twain shall meet again.

nosferatu42 19th March 2017 01:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Exterminators of the 3000

Attachment 188449

For my money its the best Italian Mad Max rip off I’ve seen, with some moments that approximate the kinetic vehicular mayhem of it’s inspiration, a lot of scenes are straight lifts from mm2, with some bone crunching crashes and car flips.
Theres an evil guy clearly modelled on the second fiddle bad guy from MM2 and his sidekick who comes across as a psychotic and leather clad young Floella Benjamin.:lol:

Attachment 188450

Lead guy Alien roams the barren landscape looking for water, posing and killing bad guys.:rockon:
He meets a kid with a gerbil(?) (who also appeared in city of living dead and cannibal apocalypse), the kid is some kinda android i think although not much is made of this apart from the fact he is really good at throwing stuff.
Also turning up is some Old guy and Aliens old girlfriend Trash.

So everyone is basically looking for water, the kid to save his home colony, the others to survive and get rich (?!?)

Along the way we get some music that appears to be the Blade Runner theme played by Jean Michel Jarre, also some blood, booby traps, mutants and dodgy fashion statements.:cool:
The only thing absent here is nudity,but hey you can’t have it all.:confused:
Still i found this really entertaining and cheerily stupid in all the right places.

It was one of the first VHS movies me and a friend rented from the boot of some dodgy guys car during the pre cert era, along with the likes of Evil Dead and Mad Max films.
So i have a nostalgia for the film but couldn’t actually remember much detail, another film i approached expecting to ruin a childhood memory. Happily this was enjoyable once again and the Shout factory Blu i watched probably enhanced my enjoyment as it was much clearer and more impressive than my VHS recollections.

So as the bad guy says.
"Once more into the breach you mother grabbers” ;)

An enjoyable piece of post apocalyptic trash, recommended if you like that sort of thing.
7/10 :pop2:

Frankie Teardrop 19th March 2017 02:46 PM

AENIGMA – A student at a girl school is psychically invaded by a vengeance-crazed coma victim, courtesy of eminent hack-auteur Lucio Fulci. Even third tier Fulci has its good points, and 'Aenigma', whilst not really outdoing the likes of 'Murderrock' or 'A Touch of Death' or any other flick from the more fallow end of his oeuvre, still delivers a fair whack of entertaining oddness. As I've said before, I often enjoy these supposedly lesser Fulcis more than the 'real deal' anyway, and I certainly liked 'Aenigma'. It ticks a number of boxes for me. It has the highly synthetic feel of most eighties Italian schlock cinema, it's reasonably pacey and contains quite a few creative kill scenes. There's a horrible theme song and some lovely Fulci set-pieces. More importantly it is full of little moments which are just unfathomable. There's a bit where the camera homes in on a snail that's crawled across a poster of Sylvester Stallone. So what in a way, it's just signing that there are evil snails about which will eventually en masse suffocate one of the girl school's bitchy residents. Maybe, but it's lingered over for just a little too long and strange meaning begins to form around it. Snails. Sly Stallone. Why? What? Am I awake? Near the end, when the last dregs of blood drain from an uprooted cannula, a single note sounds when each droplet hits the floor. Maybe it's a reference to something else that I'm unaware of, but it just seems freaky. Minor touches that hardly break the deal when it comes to the kind of film that most genre fanciers will think twice about investing in, but they contribute to the slightly unhinged atmosphere here. And atmosphere is pretty key when it comes to Fulci I think, he has a knack of elevating pretty banal material and giving it a really strange, hard to describe flavour. That's what he does with 'Aenigma', a film which at base is just an anaemic mongrel incorporating bits of 'Patrick', 'Carrie', maybe shreds of 'Phenomena' amidst sundry other semi digested horror steals. In other hands, particularly American ones from around the time, this might just amount to being a relatively diverting potboiler, but Fulci turns it away from being totally straightforward and linear. Sure, it's not as loud as something like 'The Beyond', but it's still larded with stylistic excess and a general lack of rationality. A lot of people think it's dull and skip it in favour of his more canonised work, but I say see it if you like Fulci or the dog-end of Italian genre cinema, or just eighties gunk in general. It's great to finally watch it in a good version, via 88's new blu-ray.

Demoncrat 19th March 2017 06:13 PM

Review!! You make me want to see it again.
Love it I don't.....;)

The Woman (2010, Lucky McKee)
A suburban hunter captures a feral woman. In order to "civilise" her:scared:. From the minds that brought us May and The Girl Next Door, so you know what you're in for.
A gruelling watch in places, this is highly if belatedly recommended. :nod::nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525194)
Farewell Rainer, our relationship was brief but not to be and never the twain shall meet again.

You should check out World on a Wire - fantastic stuff.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 525236)

It is a great film and one I considered for my top 10 list of 'Paranoid' movies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 525236)

205 minutes of Fassbinder questioning existence in a computer generated world similar to The Matrix according to the back of the dvd.

If it's full of Matrix style action then i'm there! :woot:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525238)
205 minutes of Fassbinder questioning existence in a computer generated world similar to The Matrix according to the back of the dvd.

You may want to take the blue pill in that case.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 525240)

To be honest it sounded okay, but i think the bridges are well and truly burnt.

Demoncrat 19th March 2017 06:58 PM

Fear Eats The Soul is a brutal wee treat. ;);)
But it IS hardcore RWF. :nod:
Forewarned and all that ...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525238)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 525240)

I don't recall any kung fu, wire work, bullet time, mini guns, fetish clothing, cool reflective sunglasses, helicopters or noir imagery being in World on a Wire, so you may be disappointed and should probably spend those 3 1/2 hours watching something else. I figured The Matrix would be a good choice!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 525245)
I don't recall any kung fu, wire work, bullet time, mini guns, fetish clothing, cool reflective sunglasses, helicopters or noir imagery being in World on a Wire, so you may be disappointed and should probably spend those 3 1/2 hours watching something else. I figured The Matrix would be a good choice!

The fact that you and b_e love the film tells me all i need to know. :nod: ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 525243)
Fear Eats The Soul is a brutal wee treat. ;);)
But it IS hardcore RWF. :nod:
Forewarned and all that ...

That one is full-on arthouse.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525246)
The fact that you and b_e love the film tells me all i need to know. :nod: ;)

I also like Blood Feast and Dracula vs. Frankenstein if that's any consolation/perspective.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 525248)
I also like Blood Feast and Dracula vs. Frankenstein if that's any perspective.

Oh, most definitely. :nod:

Demoncrat 19th March 2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 525247)
That one is full-on arthouse.

Much like saying to a Franco novice watch Lorna first ;):laugh:

Aanyway ....Terror (1978, Norman J Warren)
An ancient curse haunts a film director who tries unsuccessfully to exorcise this through his art. Flying cars notwithstanding ... this is more fun than Prey and somewhat meatier than Satans Slave imho. Plus Micheal Craze plays a chirpy cockernee DW fans!!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 525249)
Oh, most definitely. :nod:

I still think you should avoid Fear Eats the Soul and should probably give World on a Wire a wide berth. You might love it, but it's more likely that you will be extremely bored.

Deadite 19th March 2017 09:43 PM

Slapshot. Violent high-jinks in the world of minor league ice-hockey, where aging star Paul Newman forges a losing team into a lean mean fighting machine by utilising the 3 Hanson brothers as goons. Much like the sci-fi flick Rollerball that preceded it by a couple of years, Slapshot under-uses its selling-point (hyper sporting violence) by only having a few sporting contests during a fairly long running time and has a slightly unlikely lead actor. Truly, Newman in this film looks a most unlikely hockey veteran - although James Caan is more believable in Rollerball.

Despite its shortcomings, it's a fun film that has something to say about decaying inner city industry and the bloodlust of sport, as the strip-tease at the ends attests "That's the most disgusting thing i've seen on the ice!"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th March 2017 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 525259)
Slapshot. Violent high-jinks in the world of minor league ice-hockey, where aging star Paul Newman forges a losing team into a lean mean fighting machine by utilising the 3 Hanson brothers as goons. Much like the sci-fi flick Rollerball that preceded it by a couple of years, Slapshot under-uses its selling-point (hyper sporting violence) by only having a few sporting contests during a fairly long running time and has a slightly unlikely lead actor. Truly, Newman in this film looks a most unlikely hockey veteran - although James Caan is more believable in Rollerball.

Despite its shortcomings, it's a fun film that has something to say about decaying inner city industry and the bloodlust of sport, as the strip-tease at the ends attests "That's the most disgusting thing i've seen on the ice!"

I rented Slap Shot in September and thought it was great fun – I've been meaning to buy the DVD since then but haven't done so yet. This is what I said about it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 506396)
Slap Shot

Mostly based on true events and the real story of a minor league ice hockey team which was being sold because of lack of interest from the fans, leading the players to increase interest by escalating the on-ice violence exponentially. Paul Newman is brilliant as the old player-coach and the dynamic shift caused by the Hanson Brothers (real brothers who were professional hockey players at the time) – basically violent thugs with childlike minds – makes this comedy a great watch and one of the best sports films I've ever seen. I watched it with the commentary by the Hanson Brothers, who provide an insight into the realities of minor-league hockey in the 1970s.

keirarts 20th March 2017 07:27 AM

Get out

100% on Rotten Tomatoes? Probably not that good but its still a decent, well-written horror that will probably bug people looking for a murder every ten minutes. A couple of deeply annoying jump scares up front the film ditches them early (thankfully) for a more slow burning fusion of guess whose coming to dinner and the paranoid style of bodysnatchers, stepford wives and Rosemary's baby. Its best going in to the film blind but it absolutely is worth watching, with a nice payoff in the final act and a nudge and a wink to videodrome.

Justin101 20th March 2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 525277)
Get out

100% on Rotten Tomatoes? Probably not that good but its still a decent, well-written horror that will probably bug people looking for a murder every ten minutes. A couple of deeply annoying jump scares up front the film ditches them early (thankfully) for a more slow burning fusion of guess whose coming to dinner and the paranoid style of bodysnatchers, stepford wives and Rosemary's baby. Its best going in to the film blind but it absolutely is worth watching, with a nice payoff in the final act and a nudge and a wink to videodrome.

I'm definitely intrigued by this one and will try and get to The Odeon at some point in the next few days! I actually have my last 2 annual leave days to use up this week so there you go :) (we go April to March to follow the tax year if anyone is wondering how I've used all my holidays up by March :lol: )

Demoncrat 20th March 2017 11:40 AM

Watched The Wailing.
The Korean film. Oddity. The place looks lovely (well it does tae a Scot anyhow haha), even if the people aren't (not being racist...the cast all swear like buggery haha)
Somewhat reminiscent of Noroi (The Curse) as a rational (if clumsy:rolleyes:) man is plunged into a world of shadows, secrets and lies. This is worth a look. Hopefully Hollyw**d will leave this one alone....;)

Rik 20th March 2017 12:15 PM

After having it sat on my shelf for about 2 years, I finally got around to watching Dead Snow 2 last night and it was brilliant!
Basic premise is about the sole survivor from the first film and his continuing battle against the Nazi zombies, led by Herzog, with the assistance of a trio of Zombie hunters from the US called the Zombie Squad.
Fans of the first film should find this film as enjoyable, the gore is OTT, and it's dafter too (zombies using intestines to siphon fuel from a bus!)
Highly recommended for fans of low grade zombie schlock 5/5

Demoncrat 20th March 2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 525306)
After having it sat on my shelf for about 2 years, I finally got around to watching Dead Snow 2 last night and it was brilliant!
Basic premise is about the sole survivor from the first film and his continuing battle against the Nazi zombies, led by Herzog, with the assistance of a trio of Zombie hunters from the US called the Zombie Squad.
Fans of the first film should find this film as enjoyable, the gore is OTT, and it's dafter too (zombies using intestines to siphon fuel from a bus!)
Highly recommended for fans of low grade zombie schlock 5/5

THC have been showing it on and off. Duly noted!! :nod:

J Harker 20th March 2017 04:04 PM

Gave the new Ghostbusters a go last night. Im not normally one for giving up on films and I went in with low expectations, but it was just awful. Got halfway and I just couldn't stick it anymore. Truly terrible unfunny waste of time. And what the hell was Chris Hemsworth thinking.

MuckyFunster 20th March 2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 525327)
Gave the new Ghostbusters a go last night. Im not normally one for giving up on films and I went in with low expectations, but it was just awful. Got halfway and I just couldn't stick it anymore. Truly terrible unfunny waste of time. And what the hell was Chris Hemsworth thinking.

I really liked the new Ghostbusters movie, but then I quite like Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig's brand of comedy ... most of the time 🤷*♀️ saying that, i don't think Chris Hemsworth's character brought much at all, if anything, to the film. Was just really wooden and stupid.

SymbioticFunction 20th March 2017 05:24 PM

Watched Kick Ass 2, had some fun but I still give it a score of 3.25/5 only. It's really not that great at all but I love the original so much that I still enjoy seeing more (reminds me of Sin City 2 in that regard - btw that feeling doesn't extend to the disappointing Matrix sequels). Not a bad film as such but only worth viewing for big fans of the original movie. No surprise that there won't be a Kick Ass 3...

As for the latest Ghostbusters film - didn't like it at all but couldn't fault the cast, thought that they did their best with a really poor screenplay.

MuckyFunster 20th March 2017 05:28 PM

"Demons"

I finally got around to watching Demons last night. Thoroughly enjoyed the film, although it does go a bit off the rails towards the end when the fella is riding the motorcycle across all the cinema seats chopping up the Demons with a samurai sword! [emoji23][emoji23]

The effects and make up were excellent, particularly the bit where the demon teeth push the girl's human teeth out of her gums, and her fingernails split. Had me clenching my eyes and screwing my face up imagining it!

Having set English subtitles with the Italian audio on my Arrow Blu Ray I found that sometimes there was speech with no subs, and other times there was no speech and suddenly subtitles. At one point where there was Italian speech and no subs I rewound the film and switched over toEnglish audio, only to find there was no English dialogue at that bit. There was also a bit where the subtitles displayed the lyrics to a different song than the one which was playing. It was reeeeeealllllly annoying. Anyone else have that problem with the Arrow Blu?

SymbioticFunction 20th March 2017 05:35 PM

I own the Arrow Demons/Demons 2 steelbook but haven't tried watching either film in Italian with subtitles. Sounds like that was a wise move!