Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2011 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just watched Home James. A forty minute documentary by legendary actor James Mason about Huddersfield and his thoughts on the place where he grew up.

Its both informative and entertaining, and anyone who knows the area should find it interesting.

Its a special feature on Odeon's The Seventh Veil.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th October 2011 09:56 PM

I saw the same thing as an extra feature on The Odd Man Out and you're right, it is an interesting and revealing documentary.

nekromantik 11th October 2011 01:25 AM

Watched Faces in the Crowd last night.
Was a interesting thriller. The premise was good but the identity of the killer can be guessed easy after about hour into the flick. From them on it there is nothing new and plays like a generic thriller.

Overall worth a watch but not great second half.

mercury 11th October 2011 11:07 AM

Watched "Let me In" on sky, which shows my laziness to open the bluray I have owned since release:doh: Anyway I enjoyed the film very much. Even though I have seen the original which is superb, this is a great film in its own right. Even though I don't really like remakes as most end up being crap like Nightmare on Elm street. If your going to do a remake....this is how its done:nod:

pedromonkey 11th October 2011 12:18 PM

watched The Wild Geese last night, haven't seen it in an age and really enjoyed it. Its great to see two pretty much professional alcoholics kicking some major action ass. Arrow Films release is top notch too....

James Morton 11th October 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 189092)
watched The Wild Geese last night, haven't seen it in an age and really enjoyed it. Its great to see two pretty much professional alcoholics kicking some major action ass. Arrow Films release is top notch too....

THE WILD GEESE is one of my favourite Brit films
I can watch over and over and not get bored!
Burton is brilliant and the action scenes are great

and to think, Michael Winner was the first choice director
but McLaglen did a great job

wongfeihung62 11th October 2011 01:01 PM

Watched Super 8 the other day, you can see the Spielberg influences all over it and it makes a nice alternate version of E.T.
Off to watch the remake of Don't be afraid of the Dark tonight.

Phurious 11th October 2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 (Post 189101)
Watched Super 8 the other day, you can see the Spielberg influences all over it and it makes a nice alternate version of E.T.
Off to watch the remake of Don't be afraid of the Dark tonight.

Good luck staying awake for Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark ;)

Phurious 11th October 2011 01:51 PM

Spoiler below if you haven't seen Xtro

Just watched the interview with Harry Bromley-Davenport on the Xtro special edition disc.

Absolutely hilarious. Excruciatingly honest about the trilogy. He spends most of the time exclaiming how appalling they all are, but how he has retained a special place in his heart for the third one.
It's quite refreshing to hear a film maker talk so openly and freely about their work, and of note is his vehemence for Jan Michael Vincent who was somewhat unprepared for his role in part 2.

I've still yet to see the sequels myself, but I really, really like Xtro. As Bromley-Davenport observes it's a mish mash of ideas without anything really cohesive to hold it all together, but nevertheless it does the business for me and shocked me that they beat Miike by years with a woman giving birth to a full grown man.
It also features a superb synth soundtrack that B-D hates (he's a classically trained pianist but he claims this wasn't his finest hour), but I beg to differ.

Make Them Die Slowly 11th October 2011 02:01 PM

"The Dead", looks and sounds great but soon becomes repetitive and derivative of other films. Shame, as I'd really been looking forward to it.:(