Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

J Harker 21st June 2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 538796)
The Howling.(1980)
Possibly the best werewolf film ever made after An American Werewolf, of course,I find it hard to believe that this film has its detractors..It has everything you would want from an 80's horror film, cool bladder effects, naked werewolf chicks and just an who's who of B movie and exploitation film list of great actors...Ok, the humor is sort of goof ballish and not too subtle as the scene with Eddie Quist shows " I'm gonna give you a piece of my mind. I trusted you, Karen." he then pulls a piece of brain out of a bullet hole in his head, and it would not be Joe Dante film without Dick Miller gurning away and giving a couple of nuns the evil eye as he tries to sell books on witchcraft to the likes of Forry J Ackerman...And while the cast is peppered with the great and the good from past genre movies, it's John Sayles morgue attendant that gets some of the best lines in the movie "Well, he didn't just get up and walk away! "....Maybe as a kid I was more impressed with the cracking effects, which may be by today's standads a little bit antiquated but at the time what were called bladder effects, were popping up in every horror movie of the early 80's,Whether its the bubbling skin of Eddie's Quist transformation or T.C.'s severed werewolf hand returning to its human form Rob Bottin's effects still pack a visual punch, as does the decomposing visage of Eddie as he slowly rots in-between transformations..It maybe that I've been a fan of this film since I first saw on video back in the day that im pretty blind to any faults it may have, to me its the perfect genre movie mixing horror and chuckles, and its the perfect testament to Dante's filmmaking skills that after alll this time I still get enjoyment from repeated viewings...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4283/3...7312064c_z.jpg

Sorry to say Inspector that I've given The Howling numerous opportunities to impress and the bottom line is...well frankly i find it rather boring...

Inspector Abberline 21st June 2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 538798)
Sorry to say Inspector that I've given The Howling numerous opportunities to impress and the bottom line is...well frankly i find it rather boring...

well you can't say fairer than that I suppose...

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st June 2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 538799)

I think i'll give it another watch tonight when the sun goes down. It always seems like a movie to watch on a hot summer night.

J Harker 21st June 2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 538799)

I very nearly suggested it WAS boring. But that would just be my thought. I want to like it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st June 2017 08:01 PM

Time for a bit of Bogie now though. :nod:

Demoncrat 21st June 2017 08:02 PM

Avenging Force (1986, Sam Firstenberg)
The 3rd Hardy Boy is miffed when his good buddy Steve James' Mardi Gras isn't all it's cracked up to be ...:rolleyes:
Being the Dudikoff he is ... fists fly ... cars crash ... and some spurious 'ninja' element is clumsily grafted on. :nod:
Recommended.

Return To Oz (1985, Walter Murch)
No
Those slippers just do not go with that tyranny sir!!
Tis nice to see so much stop motion on show ...

MrBarlow 22nd June 2017 05:56 AM

Contagion 2011

After returning home from Hong Kong Beth Ermhoff (Gwyneth Paltrow) feels tired and puts it down to jet lag, unaware she has contagious pathogen. Around the world people start to feel the same and die off. The C.D.C and W.H.O try to find a cure.

I wouldn't say this film was a thrill ride but interesting to see it from two health card's point of view and what overhyped media people do to create a panic. Although it's a movie it's filmed like a documentary type scenario filmed around four main people, the father story, the C.D.C and the W.H.O, scientists to find a cure and blogger who knows the cure. There is good acting from Matt Damon (the father). Lawrence Fishbourne (CDC). Marion Cotillard (W.H.O). Jude Law (Blogger). Elliott Gould(scientist). 7 out of 10.

keirarts 22nd June 2017 09:03 AM

The evil wihin

directed by Andrew Getty, this film will probably live on in infamy for its production history alone. The director took 15 years on the film, while battling meth addiction. The film itself took five years to shoot, he then converted one of the rooms in his mansion into a mini studio to finsh editing and pre-production. At some point he died but friends helped complete the film. The full account is here Late Getty Heir's Directorial Debut 'The Evil Within' Lands After 15 Years | Hollywood Reporter and well worth a read.
The big question is if the film is any good. The answer is yes. Its about a special needs kid who befriends his reflection and unlocks some inner evil. It throws hints that something more supernatural might potentially be at play however it doesn't make the mistake of saying explicitly which option is real. It gets very dark indeed as his reflection pursuades him that the only way to 'get well' and cure his affliction is through murder. Its all well realised with some genuinely creepy imagery in places and while not managing to become a classic is definietely worth your time.

keirarts 22nd June 2017 09:08 AM

Swamp ape

Given it's free to watch for Amazon Prime customers how could one resist a film with that title? Certainly I couldn't :lol:. Its an exciting 59 minute shot cheaply on digital, entry into the bigfoot sub genre as a group of kids and their professor head into the swamps for 'science' reasons and end up running into the murderous 'ape'.
Its gloriously trashy from beginning to end with sloppy editing and some genuniely appalling effects work. The Ape is literally a bloke in a cheap, furry suit with a protheic cock that gets 'lipstick' when he's dragging the various strippers the director hired to star in this opus into the woods for sexy times. Its a bad film but then thats the point. Its actually pretty fun if your an afficianado of turd bombs like this but it fails to reach the giddy heights of the ultimate bigfoot picture 'shriek of the mutilated' (yes I prefer this to boggy creek!).

keirarts 22nd June 2017 09:18 AM

Bound to vengence

A woman who has been kidnapped by sex traffickers gets the best of her captor and escapes. She discovers that there are lots more women around town that might die so she drags her captor around with her visiting various places in town that the women are being kept and rescuing them. The task is made more difficult by the fact that some of the women have clearly been driven mad at this point and are as difficult as their captors but pretty soon she has killed her way through the towns underworld and has rescued some of the captive women.
Bound to vengence is a stark, brutal and brilliantly paced film that is well worth watching. copies of the film turn up in poundland from time to time and need picking up if you see them. Its a terrific little movie that somehow went under my radar.

keirarts 22nd June 2017 09:19 AM

DePalma

A documentary on director Brian Depalma in his own words as he looks back on his career and his experiences in the industry with some humour, sadness and irony. If you like his films then this is worth a watch, its on Amazon Prime right now, free to watch.

SymbioticFunction 22nd June 2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 538631)
Statham makes a great action hero and of the few films I have seen with him I have enjoyed immensely. Will have to try more of his films.

I only own one Jason Statham film. 2008's Death Race. A guilty pleasure for sure but I would still recommend it. :)

LaughingWindows 22nd June 2017 10:34 AM

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...psuiszrwer.jpg Surprisingly this one hasn't soured my enjoyment even though I have seen it umpteens times since it was released. Entertaining as hell, some unique looks/characters, visually holy shit! comes to mind, and I rather like this world we get to see and be a part of for a short earthly time onscreen. 8.5/10

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...ps4tiekfxj.jpg Just love this flick, I would go full on gay for Ryan Reynolds :loveeyes: and its a definitely 9.5/10...took off .5 needed more tits, ass, and turned up to ultraviolent.

Frankie Teardrop 22nd June 2017 11:37 AM

SATAN'S BLOOD – Seventies Spanish exploitation about a couple who are seduced into occult practices by another, more witchy couple. It has some atmospheric creepiness about it, and there's a degree of Eurosleaze on display I guess, although that amounts to little beyond some people getting nude in a house. Wait on, there is a fairly lurid ceremonial sex murder at the start, so it's not all vanilla. Still, 'Satan's Blood' is at its best when it comes to moments of irrational, dream-like imagery, like the porceliene doll that keeps cropping up, and the strange shots of the devilish couple furtively eating dog food (or human flesh in a plastic bowl, perhaps).

EVILSPEAK – Set in a military academy, where a young misfit discovers he can access demonic powers through t'internet (or whatever the equivalent was back in the days of eighties blocky graphics). I've never been much of a fan of 'Evilspeak' for the simple reason that, aside from a handful of scenes, it's pretty boring. All that high school persecution stuff was done much better in films like 'Carrie', and the rad concept of a computer / satan crossover feels a little stale now and doesn't really carry it. However, in its favour there's some tasty gore in the blow-out bonanza at the end, and I'm always partial to some porcine nastiness. Just could've done with more of the good stuff.

THE EXTERMINATOR – Lean, down and dirty thriller with a Vietnam Vet who's had enough of how rubbish everything is in early eighties NYC. It goes for street level grit and realism, but doesn't forget to include the sheer melodrama of a man being fed into a giant mincing machine. One of the best of those early eighties vigilante exploitation flicks.

PREVENGE – From the great Alice Lowe, 'Prevenge' is about an unborn child wreaking revenge on a set of slimy characters through the medium of its mother. It's a black comedy, and there are some laughs, but the tone is actually pretty bleak. At its core is the loneliness of rainswept, rootless urban existence, with Lowe going from sleazy hotel rooms to appointments with faceless perinatal services in between kills. There's a lot in it, lots of questions, about gender divide and the social administration of bodies. But it's not a Ken Loach film, and does tend to revel in splattery murder from time to time. Maybe I've read it wrong, but was the ending a muted, English-suburban nod to 'Ms 45'? Whatever, 'Prevenge' gets my vote.

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd June 2017 01:03 PM

The Mechanic: Resurrection

Sub Bond/Bourne/MI shit blowing uppery. That said, it is enjoyable trash especially as the more ludicrous it becomes the more serious the film takes itself.

Jurassic World

Top notch, balls out trashorama that builds to a mini Destroy All Monsters, MMA dinosaur Battle Royal. Fun.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 538895)
The Mechanic: Resurrection

Sub Bond/Bourne/MI shit blowing uppery. That said, it is enjoyable trash especially as the more ludicrous it becomes the more serious the film takes itself.

Jurassic World

Top notch, balls out trashorama that builds to a mini Destroy All Monsters, MMA dinosaur Battle Royal. Fun.

I love Jurassic World. Why? Well you sum it up exactly. I was practically whooping for joy in that smackdown at the end.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 02:30 PM

The Howling (1981)

How is this better than An American Werewolf in London?

Give me Marsha over Agutter any day of the week!

:star::star::star:

Rik 22nd June 2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 538934)
I love Jurassic World. Why? Well you sum it up exactly. I was practically whooping for joy in that smackdown at the end.

Me too, took my boys to see it at the cinema and pre-ordered it as we were leaving, never understood the hate it gets, I'm looking forward to the sequel :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 07:03 PM

Netflix Nights

Stake Land II: The Stakelander (2016)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/7a42fef7...r7ppo1_500.jpg

This film must surely be in the running to win the award for the most awfully titled sequel ever.

That point aside, I found it to be pretty serviceable. A lot of people seem to dismiss it as not being as good as the first Stake Land, however, I was never a huge fan of the first one, but for whatever reason was inexplicably drawn to this when browsing through Netflix's horror offerings.

It's flawed in as much as it suffers from a rushed ending tacked onto a slow, lingering build-up. The main villain is also a bit wasted and there are some repetitive flash-backs, which without the seemingly rushed final act wouldn't have been so apparently repetitive.

Fairly enjoyable if only as a one-watch curio for those who've seen and enjoyed the first film.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 07:20 PM

Netflix Nights

I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House (2016)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/1e9a3157...874ro1_500.jpg

This surprised me in as much it seemed to buck the trend in how the majority of ghost stories seem to be presented nowadays where modern horror cinema is concerned. The way it plays out reminded me of an extended BBC Ghost Stories for Christmas tale, whereby setting, mood, characterisation and atmosphere are pushed to the forefront rather than cheap effects and bombastic set-pieces.

Recommended to those who like their ghost stories a little more atmospheric and jump-scare free.

Demoncrat 22nd June 2017 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 538881)
SATAN'S BLOOD – Seventies Spanish exploitation about a couple who are seduced into occult practices by another, more witchy couple. It has some atmospheric creepiness about it, and there's a degree of Eurosleaze on display I guess, although that amounts to little beyond some people getting nude in a house. Wait on, there is a fairly lurid ceremonial sex murder at the start, so it's not all vanilla. Still, 'Satan's Blood' is at its best when it comes to moments of irrational, dream-like imagery, like the porceliene doll that keeps cropping up, and the strange shots of the devilish couple furtively eating dog food (or human flesh in a plastic bowl, perhaps).

EVILSPEAK – Set in a military academy, where a young misfit discovers he can access demonic powers through t'internet (or whatever the equivalent was back in the days of eighties blocky graphics). I've never been much of a fan of 'Evilspeak' for the simple reason that, aside from a handful of scenes, it's pretty boring. All that high school persecution stuff was done much better in films like 'Carrie', and the rad concept of a computer / satan crossover feels a little stale now and doesn't really carry it. However, in its favour there's some tasty gore in the blow-out bonanza at the end, and I'm always partial to some porcine nastiness. Just could've done with more of the good stuff.

THE EXTERMINATOR – Lean, down and dirty thriller with a Vietnam Vet who's had enough of how rubbish everything is in early eighties NYC. It goes for street level grit and realism, but doesn't forget to include the sheer melodrama of a man being fed into a giant mincing machine. One of the best of those early eighties vigilante exploitation flicks.

PREVENGE – From the great Alice Lowe, 'Prevenge' is about an unborn child wreaking revenge on a set of slimy characters through the medium of its mother. It's a black comedy, and there are some laughs, but the tone is actually pretty bleak. At its core is the loneliness of rainswept, rootless urban existence, with Lowe going from sleazy hotel rooms to appointments with faceless perinatal services in between kills. There's a lot in it, lots of questions, about gender divide and the social administration of bodies. But it's not a Ken Loach film, and does tend to revel in splattery murder from time to time. Maybe I've read it wrong, but was the ending a muted, English-suburban nod to 'Ms 45'? Whatever, 'Prevenge' gets my vote.

Looking forward to Prevenge. Lowe has done nothing substandard imho. Kudos as always F!!

trebor8273 22nd June 2017 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21VVJdCH_FM

A police detective is investigating a series of brutal murders, we soon from and that body parts are being sent to a young widow, what connection do these murders have to her and her dead husband? Some nice gory kills with a few twists and turns. 7.5/10

Now watching

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd June 2017 09:09 PM

Battleship

Flag waving shit blows up. As I watched it I pondered on how the American military always has time to lend a few tanks and in this case warships to help out the filmmakers. If this was made in the UK, due to never ending cuts to the armed forces, the film makers would be lucky to get a pedalo from the Navy.

Inspector Abberline 22nd June 2017 09:33 PM

drinky

1 Attachment(s)
https://s5.postimg.org/tt7aiv5sn/coo...5053332581.png

Never trust a hippy,never eat meat pies laced with rabies and remember kids never do drugs...

Attachment 191938

Inspector Abberline 22nd June 2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 539010)
Battleship

Flag waving shit blows up. As I watched it I pondered on how the American military always has time to lend a few tanks and in this case warships to help out the filmmakers. If this was made in the UK, due to never ending cuts to the armed forces, the film makers would be lucky to get a pedo from the Navy.

Are there many pedo's in the navy...

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd June 2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 539018)
Are there many pedo's in the navy...

I think each ship has an on-board Chaplin, so yes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 539020)
I think each ship has an on-board Chaplin, so yes.

You see. That's why i never joined the Navy. I hate those damn slug balancing acts.

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd June 2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 539025)
You see. That's why i never joined the Navy. I hate those damn slug balancing acts.

If you weren't in the Navy, were you the builder, Indian Chief or cop. I can never remember.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 539026)
If you weren't in the Navy, were you the builder, Indian Chief or cop. I can never remember.

You should. You visited the YMCA enough.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd June 2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 539025)

You never know – it could be a real moustache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2LFOljMIA

LaughingWindows 23rd June 2017 12:56 AM

Lakeview Terrace(2008) 8/10
Demolition Man(1993) 8/10
Of Boys and Men(2008) 7/10

Tomorrow might see It Comes At Night at the theatre. Heard some good things about it. Maybe. That or stay home watch some depraved shit from the horror genre.

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd June 2017 08:16 AM

I Spit on Your Grave 3

Excellent third entry that links back to the first in the series. Basically a rehash of Death Wish and Ms45 with excessive levels of violence and gore.

This is a great piece of exploitation cinema mixing vague social commentry with a self contained rage while delivering brutal killing on cartoon characterisations of predatory males. Worth a look.

bleakshaun 23rd June 2017 11:55 AM

Watched XX this morning
Horror anthology consisting of 4 shorts films.
anthologies are always going to be a hit and miss, the first 2 stories are great. but the 3rd and 4th stories are lacking in substance i felt.
6/10

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd June 2017 07:44 PM

The Shout

Often overlooked 70s English fantasy/horror that oozes style and artistic merit from pretty much every frame of film. Alan Bates plays a mysterious stranger who forces himself into John Hurt and Susannah York's lives and home. Once there he tells of how he can kill by a magic shout taught to him by aborigines when he lived in Australia.

There is a really menace to Bate's performance that is balanced beautifully by Hurt's decline into fearful weakness. However York steals the show as she transforms from upright middle class, house wife into a woman with no control over her lust for Bates.

The film has a wrap round story involving a cricket match in the grounds of a mental hospital that adds to the ambiguity of the action, leaving more questions than answers. Highly recommended.

Demoncrat 23rd June 2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 539174)
The Shout

Often overlooked 70s English fantasy/horror that oozes style and artistic merit from pretty much every frame of film. Alan Bates plays a mysterious stranger who forces himself into John Hurt and Susannah York's lives and home. Once there he tells of how he can kill by a magic shout taught to him by aborigines when he lived in Australia.

There is a really menace to Bate's performance that is balanced beautifully by Hurt's decline into fearful weakness. However York steals the show as she transforms from upright middle class, house wife into a woman with no control over her lust for Bates.

The film has a wrap round story involving a cricket match in the grounds of a mental hospital that adds to the ambiguity of the action, leaving more questions than answers. Highly recommended.

Mate mentioned in passing a fondness for Bates ... so I got her this for Xmas ;)

mr 420 23rd June 2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 539026)

Which was the one with the feather boa? :)

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd June 2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 539182)
Which was the one with the feather boa? :)

Was there one? I think you are just projecting your own sexual fantasies on my post!

mr 420 23rd June 2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 539183)
Was there one? I think you are just projecting your own sexual fantasies on my post!

What sort of dodgy euphemism is that? You keep your filthy thoughts to yourself. :nono:

iank 23rd June 2017 10:07 PM

Freddy vs Jason. Freddy Krueger has been forgotten by his killing ground of Springwood, deliberately excised from history and removing his power to terrorise the young in their dreams. Incensed by this impotence, he resurrects infamous serial killer Jason Voorhees and sends him to his home town to kill a few youngsters in the hope he'll get the blame, thus spreading fear and allowing him to return. His plan works, but when Jason won't just then bugger off and keeps taking out "his" victims, it's evil vs evil for a final showdown... A passable slice of cinematic crossover fan-fiction, the film has a mediocre start and characters but does get rather more entertaining in the last half hour when the two horror icons go head to head. Jason X is better, though!;)

Demoncrat 24th June 2017 10:29 AM

TNT Jackson (1975, Cirio H Santiago)
Highkicking mayhem from the Phillipines. The print on this GMVS dvd is ... not anamorphic :lol::rolleyes:
The editing style is somewhat brusque.

Life (2016, Daniel Espinoza)
Liked this. Proper ending as well. Worth a look. :nod: