Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 28th August 2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503053)
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about him and those commentaries. I've just started the one on The Bloodstained Butterfly and within the first five minutes there have been ample situations where Alan Jones has said giallo or gialli and Kim Newman says yiallo/yialli without any contradiction from his friend/colleague or Newman asking Jones why he is saying it with a "hard G"!

Maybe some people just cant say it or pronounce it correct.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 503054)
Maybe some people just cant say it or pronounce it correct.

I can't think of any other instances of words or names beginning in a 'G' which Kim Newman pronounces with a 'Y'. It's puzzling.

Edit – he has just said 'genre' and 'gialli' in the same sentence, pronouncing the first one correctly and the second incorrectly!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503055)
I can't think of any other instances of words or names beginning in a 'G' which Kim Newman pronounces with a 'Y'. It's puzzling.

Edit – he has just said 'genre' and 'gialli' in the same sentence, pronouncing the first one correctly and the second incorrectly!

He's also said German and Germany, so maybe he says it because it is the Italian for yellow.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503056)
He's also said German and Germany, so maybe he says it because it is the Italian for yellow.

Perhaps. He's that sort of fella.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503058)
Perhaps. He's that sort of fella.

It could be an affectation and something he does on purpose, because I think I heard him say giallo with a soft G rather than the usual Y, so it could be intentional.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503059)
It could be an affectation and something he does on purpose, because I think I heard him say giallo with a soft G rather than the usual Y, so it could be intentional.

He's one on his own, i suspect it's intentional.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503061)
He's one on his own, i suspect it's intentional.

A bit like the cravat, it's one way of differentiating him from the other film critics and authors.

trebor8273 28th August 2016 06:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Jungle Book (2016)

fantastic stuff, visually stunning with great performances from the "animal" actors only downside was the young actor playing Mowgli but that slight downside is more than made up by Bill Murray as Baloo and Christopher walken as king Louie, one of my favourite films of 2016. 9.3/10

Fury

excellent WW2 movie about a tank crew in the last days of the war. great acting all round and on the edge of your seat action. 8.9/10

now watching the mist followed by Dylan dog:dead of night and sin eater

iank 28th August 2016 09:36 PM

Godzilla (1998). Passable fun, if nothing particularly sparkling.

J Harker 28th August 2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 503084)
Godzilla (1998). Passable fun, if nothing particularly sparkling.

Damn sight better than either the b&w original or the recent (ish) redo.

Inspector Abberline 28th August 2016 09:56 PM

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

1 Attachment(s)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

As soon as John Garfields character gets dropped of outside the diner belonging to Lana Turner and her husband Nick played by Cecil Kellaway, and Garfield first lays eyes on Turner it’s not hard to see why Garfields character is instantly infatuated with Lana Turner. Of course there is always some sort of obstacle and its usually in the form of a husband, and it’s the classic older man with a trophy wife. Lana Turner as Cora has to be one of the sexiest screen performances in Noir cinema history, she is not the classic femme fatale, as her character Cora is seemingly trapped in a loveless marriage and see’s Frank as her way of escaping her hum drum existence. Of course when she suggests that they kill her husband after a remark that Frank had made, you do wonder if she plotting all this for her own selfish reasons or whether she really is in love with Frank. John Garfield gives a great performance, he is not the tough guy of Bogart or Cagney ,but he exudes a marvellous nervous energy and he seemingly seems to be sweating profusely as the plot thickens. Of course Lana Turner does not really have to do an awful lot to make most men droll down there chin, and Im sure plenty would kill for her and more. But that’s not to take anything away from Turner’s performance, she pretty much goes through all the emotional roller coaster ride of a woman trapped and looking to her escape her life. Written by James M.Cain there are several similarities between this and his other film Double Indemnity, but with Indemnity you know the man is being lead astray where as with Cora and Frank you realise that both parties are doomed due to there love for each other. A great story with a terrific ending,remade in the 1980’s but with abit more explicit sex,yes I know here we go again,it’s a classic noir.Hopefully will watch the remake and see how it compares.

Cinematic Shocks 28th August 2016 10:04 PM

Saw VI (2009)

*** out of *****

Saw VII: The Final Chapter (2010)

*1/2 out of *****

SAW FRANCHISE RANKED:

iank 28th August 2016 10:17 PM

Never seen either! :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 503089)
[B]S

*1/2 out of *****

SAW FRANCHISE RANKED:

I really enjoyed 7. It had been a few years since i'd seen any of them and i found it refreshing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th August 2016 11:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mortdecai (2015)

Weird, cookie and disjointed, far superior to the equally disjointed and weird The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I laughed quite a few times and found the characters strangely likable and it had a certain charm to it.

I really enjoyed it...Sorry!

gag 28th August 2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 503089)
Saw VI (2009)

*** out of *****

*1/2 out of *****

SAW FRANCHISE RANKED:

Think i stopped on the 4th

J Harker 29th August 2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 503097)
Think i stopped on the 4th

Didn't like the rest?

J Harker 29th August 2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503096)
Mortdecai (2015)

Weird, cookie and disjointed, far superior to the equally disjointed and weird The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I laughed quite a few times and found the characters strangely likable and it had a certain charm to it.

Superior you say? While i thought it rubbish Man From U.N.C.L.E wasn't without its charms. I thought Mortdecai was supposed to be off the charts bad, I'd practically dismissed it. Now I'll watch it.
Hang on, is it just that a certain Ms.Paltrow is in it Dem?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503096)
Mortdecai (2015)

Which bits did you find funny? I can't think of anything which was remotely amusing!

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503105)
Which bits did you find funny? I can't think of anything which was remotely amusing!

Loads of it. From Mortdecai's dodgy facial thatch to the in joke about shooting Jock.

I can understand how people may not like it but it gets over 5 out of ten on IMDB so plenty of people did enjoy it too.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503107)
Loads of it. From Mortdecai's dodgy facial thatch to the in joke about shooting Jock.

I can understand how people may not like it but it gets over 5 out of ten on IMDB so plenty of people did enjoy it too.

I found those bits cringeworthy and was embarrassed for Johnny Depp and Paul Bettany (Jock Strapp, really?).

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503108)
I found those bits cringeworthy and was embarrassed for Johnny Depp and Paul Bettany (Jock Strapp, really?).

I must admit i've never seen you as a fan of today's comedies, Nos. be it this kind or American Pie style humour.

That's not a slight on you, more an observation of your comments on here over the years.

Demoncrat 29th August 2016 01:01 PM

Watched Assassins then.
Moore just seems miscast. Whilst not as flat out terrible as I remembered.....it began to grate just the same.
Why I don't just watch Hard Boiled defeats me haha.....

Breaker! Breaker! (1977, Don Hutelle)
Really? Truck Norris loves his brother...but nae enough to tell him to avoid Texas City...an old movie set "granted a city charter" by unsuspecting bureacrats to moonshine cult....so mayhem ensues naturally. Bizarre film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mark of the Witch (2014)

'"Your dirty, dark soul attempting to pull you back inside to devour you"

Mark of the Witch is a modern day take on witchcraft with giallo influences. If you strip everything away, the film is a simple coming of age tale about a young woman, Jordyn, who is the devil's daughter.

I don't think there's a single scene in this film that you could say was shot in a normal, conventional fashion. This is about as far from the Hollywood school of film making as you can probably get. Lavishly shot, it plays as though the fabric of reality is cracking and a hypnotic evil is seeping through involving both the film and our senses, firmly placing the viewer in Jordyn's hallucinatory existence. It practically feels impossible to review this in the normal sense due to it being an ethereal mind **** that stimulates and provokes the darkest reaches of our imagination, taking the viewer deeper into what feels like a waking nightmare and all this to a delightful classical score from the likes of Beethoven and Chopin.

Mark of the Witch clearly isn't a film for everyone. It's dark, demented, surreal and wildly ambitious, definitely a case of style over substance, almost to the point where it will put people off. However there's so much to take in it demands a second viewing. The thanks list at the end gives gratitude to both Jess Franco and Dario Argento and you can tell it's inspired by the lucid nightmares of these two classic exponents of horror. Argento's Suspiria and Inferno especially.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th August 2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503112)
I must admit i've never seen you as a fan of today's comedies, Nos. be it this kind or American Pie style humour.

That's not a slight on you, more an observation of your comments on here over the years.

Oddly, I like the first three American Pie films!

gag 29th August 2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503131)
Oddly, I like the first three American Pie films!

Got to admit cant think of any comedy of top of my head that ive even slightly remotely liked for absolutely years, but did enjoy first 3 American pie and the reunion, but rest nah didnt bother.

trebor8273 29th August 2016 05:57 PM

The Mist

After a storm a artist and his family make there way to the local supermarket, a strange mist soon rolls in and it's not long before we find that strange creatures are in the mist. The real horror from the film doesn't come from the creature's outside but from within the supermarket were the people slowly turn on each other with a great majority being lead by the typical King religions nut job. Don't expect a typical Hollywood ending. Also watch the black and white version which is more atmospheric than the colour veriosn . 9/10

Dylon Dog : dead of night

While not as good as cemetery man its a lot better than I was expecting. Roth was actually quite good and charismatic in the title role. Dylon has retired from being a mediator between the world of man and the supernatural world, and has become a private eye but is thrust back into his old life when he takes on the latest case involving the death of his clients father. Soon he trust back into the world of vampires,werewolf's and zombies while seeking an artifact that could summon a creature that could have dire consequences for the world. 7.5/10

Now watching Misery

trebor8273 29th August 2016 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Misery

Novelist Paul Sheldon ( james cann)is on his way to his publisher with his latest novel when he has a car accident and is rescued by Anne Wilkie's ( Kathy bates)who as well as being his number one fan also appears to be not playing with a full deck, when Annie reads his new novel and find out her favorite character misery has been killed off, things take a dramatic turn for the worse, annie forces Paul to write another novel and as he writes she becomes more and more unstable and dangerous, its soon becomes a battle of wits between the desperate Paul and the insane Annie. The whole hobbling scene still makes me wince. Great performance s from both leads, but especially Bates who gives a fantastic performance as the unhinged Annie. 9.3/10

Now watching Gabriel.

Cinematic Shocks 29th August 2016 09:07 PM

Red Heat (1988)

***1/2 out of *****

Deadite 29th August 2016 09:21 PM

Huh, just finished watching Thor: The Dark World on the beeb. It's a really good fantasy film, rather than a superhero flick IMO. In fact, i'll go further and say i can't remember enjoying a fantasy film as much as this one. Dunno whether it caught me in a particular mood or what but i really enjoyed it and its my new favourite Marvel movie. :pop2:

iank 29th August 2016 09:33 PM

A Perfect Murder. Michael Douglas is a wealthy businessman facing financial disaster who is less than impressed when he finds his young wife (Gwyneth Paltrow) has been having an affair, and decides the best option is to have her removed from the picture permanently, thus still enabling him to keep all her dosh - and hires/blackmails her own lover to do the deed! But the best laid plans of Mike and men never go smooth.... Douglas is on top form in this twisty-turny and thoroughly enjoyable late 90s thriller. :nod:

Screaming Queen 30th August 2016 07:20 AM

Last night I watched A BLade in the Dark - giallo by Lamberto Bava from 1983. I'd read it was trashy with a high body count and lots of gore. I must say on that front I was a little disappointed. When I think trashy I think New York Ripper. This was classy by comparison. And a little slower than I expected. However I loved its atmosphere, style and I've got a crush on leading man Andrea Occhipinti so that helped. And one kill in particular, involving a plastic bag over the head, was very gruesome. So I'd recommend it, I guess I just wanted it to be 'worse' than it was!

trebor8273 30th August 2016 04:24 PM

Gabriel

Slow, boring film about angels and fallen angels fighting to bring light or darkness to earth. Dreadful acting on the whole apart from the main lead who's passable. If you want a film about waring angels look elsewhere ( prophecy films or supernatural) 3.8/10

Stir crazy

Fantastic gene wilder and Richard Pryor vehicle in which they play two new yorkers who sick of new York life decide to move to California. Not long after arrvinvg they are mistaking for bank robbers. They try to prove there innocence/ escape but this is put in jeopardy when its found out that Wilder's character turns out to a rodeo cowboy protégé and the prison warden wants him to take part in a rodeo against a another prison. As usual Pryor and Wilder complement each other perfectly. 8.1/10

Now watching willy wonka and the chocolate factory

trebor8273 30th August 2016 06:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. 7.8/10

now watching timecop, probably followed by The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne which will be my first viewing- for those who have seen it, is it anygood or is a boring arty farty film?

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th August 2016 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 503242)
Gabriel

Slow, boring film about angels and fallen angels fighting to bring light or darkness to earth. Dreadful acting on the whole apart from the main lead who's passable. If you want a film about waring angels look elsewhere ( prophecy films or supernatural) 3.8/10

You sum it up nicely, Treb. Dreadful!

TJ Doc 30th August 2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 503251)
Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. 7.8/10

now watching timecop, probably followed by The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne which will be my first viewing- for those who have seen it, is it anygood or is a boring arty farty film?

Fascinatingly arty farty would be my take on it. I sort of loved it and hated it at the same time!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th August 2016 07:34 PM

Last week's viewings:

Less viewing than usual last week as I spent most of the Bank Holiday weekend sweating over some hot shelving as I undertook the first steps in my room clearance/re-model. The past week saw yet another (un)healthy dollop of slasher trash (including a re-watch of The Initiation), intertwined with The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp... not a pretty picture really.

Calendar Girl Murders (1984)

http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/3786-2.jpg

53/100

Deadline (1984)

http://horrorsnotdead.com/wpress/wp-...deadline6.jpeg

62/100

The Initiation (1984)

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/upl...84-movie-4.jpg

64/100

The Prey (1984)

http://movieguy247.com/iMovies/image...-prey-1984.png

32/100

Rocktober Blood (1984)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AeT_WWcPz6...snap-00002.jpg

45/100

Scream for Help (1984)

http://horrornews.net/wp-content/upl...84-MOVIE-3.jpg

65/100

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

https://40.media.tumblr.com/f1207a00...dq7to1_500.jpg

72/100

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th August 2016 07:54 PM

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a superb film anchored by a magnificent performance from Roger Livesey. In terms of Powell and Pressburger's World War II films, it is only bettered by A Matter of Life and Death.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 30th August 2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 503274)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a superb film anchored by a magnificent performance from Roger Livesey. In terms of Powell and Pressburger's World War II films, it is only bettered by A Matter of Life and Death.

Agreed on A Matter of Life and Death - a phenomenal film. :nod:

trebor8273 30th August 2016 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 503260)
You sum it up nicely, Treb. Dreadful!

Glad it wasn't just me who didn't like it