Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Deadite 22nd August 2016 06:17 PM

Yeah, i rather like the remake of DBAoTD. Still think the original is creepier though. Much more of a sense of isolation even in the midst of a crowd.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 502360)
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

I don't know how this was received on release but i have to say i was pleasantly surprised at how much i enjoyed the film.

From Wikipedia:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has received mixed to positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes reported that 58% of critics gave the film a positive review based on 163 reviews, with an average rating of 5.8/10. The site's critical consensus states that "While it's pleasantly atmospheric and initially quite scary, the film ultimately fails to deliver the skin-crawling chills of the original". Another review aggregator, Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, calculated an average score of 56/100 based on 35 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews".[13] Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film 3½ stars out of 4, calling it "a very good haunted house film" and adding that it "milks our frustration deliciously."[14] Bailee Madison's acting was generally well received by critics, who have also praised the idea of turning the protagonist into a little girl, as opposed to an adult in the original film.

trebor8273 22nd August 2016 06:45 PM

Microwave massacre

Managed to finish watching it , but I wish hadn't absolutely dreadful might not be the worst horror of all time but its in the top five. Dreadful acting, awful so called comedy and none existent horror elements. Will be getting traded to cex. 2.5/10

Next up seven which I've ever only seen once

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 502371)
Microwave massacre

Managed to finish watching it , but I wish hadn't absolutely dreadful might not be the worst horror of all time but its in the top five. Dreadful acting, awful so called comedy and none assistant horror elements. Will be getting traded to cex. 2.5/10

How much, including postage, would you sell it to me for?

trebor8273 22nd August 2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 502373)
How much, including postage, would you sell it to me for?

£11

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 502374)
£11

I'll pass – thanks anyway.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 502367)
From Wikipedia:

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has received mixed to positive reviews from critics.

But what did you think?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 502376)
But what did you think?

I really liked it for the reasons you stated, plus I am a huge fan of Guillermo Del Toro's work, whether as director, writer, producer, or generally as an adviser. I'm not sure whether I've seen the 1973(?) version – I think I have – but think the new version is a well-made and effective haunted house movie.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 502380)
I really liked it for the reasons you stated, plus I am a huge fan of Guillermo Del Toro's work, whether as director, writer, producer, or generally as an adviser. I'm not sure whether I've seen the 1973(?) version – I think I have – but think the new version is a well-made and effective haunted house movie.

It's not a haunted house movie, Nos.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 502381)
It's not a haunted house movie, Nos.

I know, but that's the best I had for a general description or subgenre without giving too much away to those who haven't seen it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd August 2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 502382)
I know, but that's the best I had for a general description or subgenre without giving too much away to those who haven't seen it.

Yes, i can understand that.

Nordicdusk 22nd August 2016 09:02 PM

I watched They Live and Big Trouble In Little China with the Commentary on .They Live with John Carpenter and Roddy Piper man Roddy sounds like a broken man at some points he lived and seen some days.

Big Trouble was very funny with Kurt Russell what a great double team those guys make.

I don't usually watch films with the commentary on im just working through the John Carpenter films.

trebor8273 22nd August 2016 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seven

Fantastic stuff had me gripped from beginning to end. Great acting all round and proved Pitt wasn't just a pretty face. The ending is still shocking even though it loses some impact after the first viewing. Can't believe this is only the second time I've seen this, first time being on release 9.1/10

keirarts 23rd August 2016 06:49 AM

The seven-ups

While it could be argued this is French connection-lite that's still not a bad thing. Plus its much better than french connection 2. Roy Scheider is essentially playing the same character from the first French connection as head of a 'dirty tricks' squad that goes after a pair of crooks when one of their team is killed.
It retains the grim & gritty urban squalor of 70's new york and includes a car chase that actually manages to rival the intensity (almost) of the Friedkin film. Its a solid cop movie with some nice turns from the cast including Richard Lynch as a terrific villain, Tony Lo Bianco whi is always great and a great perfromance from Joe Spinnell. Worth picking up the UK blu-ray if you haven't already as its totally packed and looks great.

Mojo 23rd August 2016 08:37 AM

Network double bill!

MADE
Carol White stars as single mum who falls in with travelling folk - rock star Mike Preston ( Roy Harper ) in this little seen 1972 flick which features a great soundtrack from Harper himself. Look out for a neat cameo from 'Whispering' Bob Harris here too.
I thought this was a nailed on candidate for a BFI Flipside ( with all the extras and so on ) but still it's good to see Network putting out this grim slice of early 70s drama on blu ray, complete with booklet.

REVENGE
A suspected child murderer is captured, beaten up and imprisoned in the cellar of a pub in this lurid 1970 UK shocker.
Another nice looking blu ray from Network, it is a gripping enough story, though I can't help feeling it might have been more suited to 60 a miinute 'Thriller' type episode.

Demoncrat 23rd August 2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 502403)
I watched They Live and Big Trouble In Little China with the Commentary on .They Live with John Carpenter and Roddy Piper man Roddy sounds like a broken man at some points he lived and seen some days.

Big Trouble was very funny with Kurt Russell what a great double team those guys make.

I don't usually watch films with the commentary on im just working through the John Carpenter films.

The Thing is one of my favourite comm tracks.

Watched Panic Button last night on THC.
A sobering lesson for those who click/comment on stuff they shouldn't really be watching ahem!! Worth a look. These Frightfest films have been ok so far...looking forward to Landmine Goes Click on Saturday etc.

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd August 2016 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Spirit (2008)

Having already watched this when it first appeared on dvd i knew what i was letting myself in for.

Eight years later and the film hasn't improved one iota. In fact it seems incredibly dated in 2016. Basically the film is about a battle between cop killed in action turned superhero, the Spirit, (a lifeless Gabriel Macht) and his deadly rival the Octopus, Samuel L Jackson, in possibly his worst role to date.

Directed by comic book legend Frank Miller this really should have been better. It clearly takes Miller's own Sin City as it's source material as the film is almost identical in look to that film but nowhere near as effective, in fact it drags to the point of being boring and feels more like a pastiche than anything, and not a very good one. Miller's direction is uninspired and he fails to produce any tension or excitement to elevate the film above the levels of dross. Miller fails to replicate Sin City's Noir brilliance on any level and the film feels like a derivative mess.

Even a cast of sexy women cannot save the film. Eva Mendes, Paz Vega, Stana Katic, Sarah Paulson, Jaime King and Scarlett Johansson try their best and look fantastic in all manner of costumes but cannot save the risible storyline from tedium.

Will i ever watch the film again? It's doubtful although i'll keep hold of the dvd due to it's nice slipcase and gorgeous set of art cards of the film's lovely ladies.

Boo Radley 23rd August 2016 05:38 PM

Last night I caught American Ultra on Sky. I had no idea what it was about and thought that if it was shit I'd find something else.
A stoner dude and his missus live in Smalltown USA, dead end Cash and Carry job, no prospects but enjoys the herbal life whilst drawing pictures of his Apollo Ape superhero. It took about 15 minutes to start kicking but then takes off like a rocket for the rest of the film.
It is a bit predictable and clichéd but what a lot of fun! And violent! I really enjoyed it. If you're searching for something on the telly and you see it, it is well worth the 90 odd minutes of your time. I might even get a Blu of it if I see it cheap enough!

Cinematic Shocks 23rd August 2016 06:27 PM

House of Wax (1953)

***1/2 out of *****

trebor8273 23rd August 2016 06:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two viewings for tonight one which I only saw when it was released ( true romance) and the other which is my first viewing ( castle of blood)

Nordicdusk 23rd August 2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 502492)
The Thing is one of my favourite comm tracks.

Ill watch that one next :)

Cinematic Shocks 23rd August 2016 08:46 PM

Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)

**** out of *****

trebor8273 24th August 2016 05:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nightmare castle. 9/10

True Romance. 8.6/10

Now watching Batman (1989) then ghoulies and then either Rec. Or resident evil if I can decide which one

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th August 2016 08:07 PM

A little later than scheduled, here are last week's viewings.

Yet more '80s trash - nope, not bored of it yet! - (including re-watches of The Slayer, Boogeyman II and Double Exposure) with a '50s Ealing comedy classic, the enjoyable horror remake/sequel The Town that Dreaded Sundown and the mediocre but at the same time interesting horror cheapie Dead Shadows sandwiched in among all the schlock.

The Slayer (1982)

https://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...ezf9o1_500.gif

62/100

Crazed (1978)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/s851A4Nt9Uo/hqdefault.jpg

61/100

American Nightmare (1983)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UPfr_NSRJ1k/hqdefault.jpg

66/100

Boogeyman II (1983)

http://movieguy247.com/iMovies/image...-ii-review.jpg

30/100

Deadly Lessons (1983)

http://www.hudsonlee.com/wp-content/...015/09/dl2.jpg

56/100

The Man in the White Suit (1951)

https://45.media.tumblr.com/f347d34b...isefo1_500.gif

73/100

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014)

https://66.media.tumblr.com/16b1448b...q0nso2_500.png

67/100

Double Exposure (A doppia esposizione) (1983)

http://pxhst.co/avaxhome/3a/09/002d093a_medium.png

60/100

Frightmare (1983)

http://www.365horrormovie.com/wp-con...Frightmare.gif

55/100

A Night to Dismember (1983)

https://67.media.tumblr.com/74650cf8...gn5zo2_500.png

44/100

Dead Shadows (2012)

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-cont...700d1fe7a9.jpg

48/100

Sledgehammer (1983)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/PKR4tuCSIBU/hqdefault.jpg

32/100

Cinematic Shocks 24th August 2016 08:16 PM

Friday the 13th (2009)

**1/2 out of *****

trebor8273 24th August 2016 09:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Batman (1989) 9.3/10

Ghoulies 5.9/10

Frankie Teardrop 24th August 2016 09:40 PM

BASTARD – A honeymooning couple pick up a pair of runaways en route to a guest house where a slasher in a porceleine child mask lurks with an axe... sound familiar? Sound like another soon-to-be poundland pick up with little to add to a dead genre beyond a few lame one liners and some intestinal spillage? Sort of. But 'Bastard' has a real attitude. Take those honeymooners. They're not regular honeymooners, they're serial killers who've just tied the knot... yeah, around someone's throat etc etc. As horrible degenerates they're actually quite versatile – they're hep enough to not only murder people on a whim and get away with it, but to play in a band called 'The Royal Cun*s'. 'Bastard' was obviously made by hipsters just out of filmschool who hoped that by staking a claim and proving their slickness they might accidentally do something a bit rad within the genre. Frustrating for some, but maybe that's a good thing. There's not much ambition going down these days. As far as that applies to 'Bastard', there is some imagination at work, and a willingness to take risks. The whole slasher killer angle is something of a red herring, and once the film gets going and starts to boil (unfortunately, it takes a while) it blossoms into something quite twisted and uncomfortable, the last twenty minutes or so being a whirl of hysteria and dark scenes. I won't ruin it, but the whole question of how best to raise an infant whose dad was a serial killer is approached with gloves off. Before this, there is build up, a touch of family drama, and the whole decoy slasher thing. You could take a step back from 'Bastard' and say that it never quite gels. Equally, pace is an issue. It's not slow, but for a film which is only just over seventy minutes long I was kind of waiting around for the grimness to kick in, even though it's pretty cynical from the outset. A mixed bag which left me with mixed feelings, but on balance 'Bastard' won me over with its nasty edge.

keirarts 25th August 2016 06:39 AM

David Brent: Life on the road

Your enjoyment of life on the road will be determined by how much (or little) you enjoyed the office and enjoy Ricky Gervaises brand of humour. The cringe factor is going full bore as Brent takes unpaid leave from work, cashes in all his pensions and funds a three week tour of the UK with his band that pretty much involves empty or half-empty gigs in the reading area. I enjoyed it, the songs are so mind numbingly insensitve that they become genuinely hysterical including a plea to not hate the disabled that is jaw-droppingly offensive and a song for a dying child at christmas that becomes dark as f***. I'm certain a portion of the audience will hate it, humor is always subjective but to its credit the film also does a great job of peeling away the surface layers of Brents character to actually deliver some genuine pathos and sympathy to a character who in lesser hands would simply be an object of hate or derision.

Robot Jox

One of my friends who came to the cinema admitted to having not seen thsi so I held a little midnight screening. In spite of the films budgetry limitations its a solid piece of entertainment with a great plot and the robot fights still hold up even in the wake of films like pacific rim.

Justin101 25th August 2016 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 502587)
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)

**** out of *****

I'm really excited for this one, I think the disc comes out soon, it was a very limited cinema release in the UK, I missed it :(

Cinematic Shocks 25th August 2016 08:32 AM

The Slayer (1982)

*** out of *****

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th August 2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 502722)
The Slayer (1982)

*** out of *****

Snap! ;)

Cinematic Shocks 25th August 2016 11:38 AM

It’s a pretty good film. If it weren’t for its sluggish pacing, I’d give it ½ a more point for my rating.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th August 2016 12:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Rage (1976)

Following his brothers murder, a retired mob hit man (a charismatic Yul Brynner) travels to Naples to exact revenge. He befriends a small time petty crook (Massimo Ranieri) who is eager to work for him. The police, headed by Martin Balsam, are also on the trail.

Antonio Margheriti, one of my favourite Italian directors, takes on the poliziotteschi genre with this pacy, tight enjoyable film with some well helmed car chases and exhilarating gun fights, even if it is a clear rip of Charles Bronson's 1972 thriller The Mechanic.

Brynner as always is superb, he can apparently take on any role, be it crime lord, cowboy or King of Siam, and nail it perfectly as does Balsam in his detective role. Massimo Ranieri, someone i'm not particularly familiar with did well after some early scenes as the wannabe hitman. Sadly Barbara Bouchet is underused.

Although Death Rage is fairly formulaic and low budget, even for Italian productions, i always find it an enjoyable watch.

Mojo 25th August 2016 01:28 PM

DOCTOR TERROR'S HOUSE OF HORRORS
Amicus' initial foray into the world of anthology horrors arrives on a superb looking blu ray from Screenbound entertainment. It's surely never looked as good as this. There's also a fabulous 60 minute documentary on the film from Nucleus to round things off.

THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY
A young girl is murdered in a rain soaked park and a local tv presenter is arrested. However, the killings continue..
Another giallo which concentrates more on the police / court proceedings, this is still an enjoyable tale with a good cast. It's also good to see some of the lesser known gialli get a release, rather than the umpteenth version of the usual suspects.
Quality wise, this blu ray from Arrow looks stunning. I really hope they can get their hands on more Gialli, as their releases of these movies so far have been fantastic.

sjconstable 25th August 2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 502742)
THE BLOODSTAINED BUTTERFLY
Quality wise, this blu ray from Arrow looks stunning. I really hope they can get their hands on more Gialli, as their releases of these movies so far have been fantastic.

If by 'stunning' you mean completely flat and with no black in the image (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...5_blu-ray_.jpg), i.e. an unfinished remaster, then yeah, totally stunning. I'm sick of these Ritrovata messes, waiting to see if Camera Obscura does some colour-correction work on it for their edition.

mr 420 25th August 2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 502567)
Ill watch that one next :)

Do you have the old Anchor Bay release of Last House on the Left? The commentary track with David Hess and company is a must. :welcome:

Mojo 25th August 2016 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 502743)
If by 'stunning' you mean completely flat and with no black in the image (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-r...5_blu-ray_.jpg), i.e. an unfinished remaster, then yeah, totally stunning. I'm sick of these Ritrovata messes, waiting to see if Camera Obscura does some colour-correction work on it for their edition.

Having only seen the previous crappy dvd version, it looked fantastic to me. Shows how much I know! :jest:

sjconstable 25th August 2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 502752)
Having only seen the previous crappy dvd version, it looked fantastic to me. Shows how much I know! :jest:

It's got more detail than the DVD but they just keep leaving the image with messed up gamma/elevated blacks and questionable colours so it's such a shame. Camera Obscura tend to put in more time and effort on their releases though so I'd be surprised if they didn't fix it for theirs (like Arrow fixed the master they were given for Deep Red, again by Ritrovata).

Demoncrat 25th August 2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks (Post 502735)
It’s a pretty good film. If it weren’t for its sluggish pacing, I’d give it ½ a more point for my rating.

Stately ahem. ;);)

Watched True Romance...with the QT comm. A sobering lesson in rampant egotism. Still love this film I hasten to add, but him.....sheesh.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th August 2016 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 502752)

It's the one i'll be getting anyway. CO won't have the Newman / Jones commentary which is in all likely probably better than the film itself. :D