Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Gojirosan 8th March 2012 02:41 PM

Timber Falls - dreary but well made backwoods horror job. Nothing new, in fact, annoyingly derivative.

Shark Attack II - superb "so bad it's good" effort. A lovable clunker.

Primevil/The Lost Tribe - strange and interesting idea ruined by poor execution and bad writing. A wonderful subplot idea is totally underdeveloped and used as a mere excuse for a Lance Henriksen cameo.

The House Bunny - funny and pleasant comedy from the writing team behind 10 Things I Hate About You and Legally Blonde. Good idea, done well. Anna Faris is the highlight of a fine cast.

James Morton 8th March 2012 03:29 PM

the uncut R1 I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, very good
one of the better remakes

Frankie Teardrop 8th March 2012 04:07 PM

DAHMER - Sensitive and engaging portrait of the prolific cannibal which uses a indie-ish 'dark drama' approach rather than one involving lots of blood and screaming. Really works, great direction, texture, atmosphere and acting and comes highly recommended.
JEFFREY DAHMER: A SECRET LIFE - Takes a very different route, but I found it surprisingly effective. Made in 1993, but looks like something cheap from the early seventies - in some ways this is appropriate, considering how the film's ominous, mean spirited tone evokes that unmistakable exploitation ambience. Crass, but its seriousness leaves the impression of primitive power along with a bad taste in the mouth.
THE SECT - Not as boring as 'The Church', nor as wild and inspiring as 'Dellamorte...' (and not as much fun as 'Stagefright', for that matter),The Sect is worth looking at for some good visual atmospherics and some magical imagery - but could do with more of both.
LET'S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH - An excellent, still slightly overlooked film which could benefit from a less prohibitively expensive re-release. Along with that exploitation vibe I mentioned earlier, seventies movies sometimes seem to have a really skewed, elliptical atmosphere - this one definitely does. It's not grindhouse trash, it's not akin to the wonderfully depressing sleaze which characterised its era - what it is is a quiet, insidious ghost story which blossoms into chilly alienation and strangeness - reminds me in some ways of 'Messiah of Evil', or maybe 'Carnival of Souls' in its depiction of encroaching madness.

Hawkmonger 8th March 2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 222805)
The House Bunny - funny and pleasant comedy from the writing team behind 10 Things I Hate About You and Legally Blonde. Good idea, done well. Anna Faris is the highlight of a fine cast.

Your talking through your Bum, so you are!
Never have I seen such condisending rubbish in all my life.

Gojirosan 8th March 2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 222850)
Your talking through your Bum, so you are!
Never have I seen such condisending rubbish in all my life.

I liked it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th March 2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 222751)

7) Bloodbath At The House Of Death - Although the jokes don't always work, Kenny Everett is a genius and this film is a lot of fun.

That's why you're my buddy Kyle!

A bona fide British cult classic!:cool:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th March 2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 222888)
That's why you're my buddy Kyle!

A bona fide British cult classic!:cool:

Kenny Everett AND Vincent Price...what more could one possibly ask for?!

Gojirosan 8th March 2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs (Post 222898)
Kenny Everett AND Vincent Price...what more could one possibly ask for?!

Cleo Rocos...

....well looky there!

:lol:

Scyther 8th March 2012 09:12 PM

Just checked out Blue Underground's forthcoming Blu Ray of Strip Nude For Your Killer. By far one of my favorite gialli! I'll watch anything Andrea Bianchi does, basically! :)

'Strip Nude For Your Killer' is sleazy, trashy giallo greatness - Boston Movie | Examiner.com

sawyer6 8th March 2012 11:25 PM

Last 15 films from my unwatched dvd-bd list.Have to take a break this week because I'm a volunteer at my city's 14th Documentary Festival, so only documentaries this week and many of them(I'm interested in 78!!) http://i43.tinypic.com/jkyi4h.jpg