Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Gojirosan 10th April 2012 03:02 PM

I really liked The Card Player. Not sure what it is about it to which people object.

Mother Of Tears is better though. :tongue1:

James Morton 10th April 2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 230372)
The Card Player is a mediocre Horror Thriller, but the last twenty minutes totally ruin the whole film. :fear: :eek:
I'd say this is easily Argento's worst film, together with Phantom of the Opera.

Greetings!

I think TRAUMA is one his lesser films w/ CARD PLAYER and GIALLO

James Morton 10th April 2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 230379)
I think Card Player is way better than Phantom (and Mother of Tears too).

MOTHER OF TEARS is an underrated horror from Argento imo
ok some mad scenes, but he directed a nice and gory horror film which would of been banned/censored some years ago

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 230365)
Although I'm pretty much spent up for the month, that does sound like something worth a blind buy. However, Lovefilm send me a card offering three months for the price of one, which may help to curb my spending!

Wilderness is a superb film Nos.

Brutal and realistic yet fun with it.

I always rank it with Severance, but apart from it being set outdoors and people die they are not really that simillar.

Handyman Joe 10th April 2012 03:14 PM

In the spirit of Easter (it is the celebration of the resurrected dead after all!) I put on Burial Ground - The Nights of Terror on Saturday night. Mixed company = Big mistake. For some reason the sight of a boggle eyed man-child sucking on his 'mamas' boobie while ridiculous zombies battered the door down, didn't go down well in the room. In fact, my wife ordered the film to be turned off. I don't know, some people. Must say though, despite its ineptitude, there's a relentlessness, a single mindedness, about this film that (accidently I think) does capture the actual feeling of a nightmare. The blu ray picture is pretty good considering it wasn't exactly lensed by Freddie Francis or Jack Cardiff.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 230268)
Another classic and Mrs MTDS' choice. Can you guess who picked what?

I am pretty sure you chose Are You Being Served?. :nod:

Crimson Blade 10th April 2012 03:46 PM

I don't think any Argento film comes close to the awfulness of Phantom of The Opera :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 230390)
In the spirit of Easter (it is the celebration of the resurrected dead after all!) I put on Burial Ground - The Nights of Terror on Saturday night. Mixed company = Big mistake. For some reason the sight of a boggle eyed man-child sucking on his 'mamas' boobie while ridiculous zombies battered the door down, didn't go down well in the room. In fact, my wife ordered the film to be turned off. I don't know, some people. Must say though, despite its ineptitude, there's a relentlessness, a single mindedness, about this film that (accidently I think) does capture the actual feeling of a nightmare. The blu ray picture is pretty good considering it wasn't exactly lensed by Freddie Francis or Jack Cardiff.

It's hardly a classic like Fulci's
Zombie masterpiece, but it does have a certain charm tbh, esp the creepy atmosphere and music score. Oh, and not forgetting the rather strange Peter Bark. :D

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2012 04:47 PM

I actually prefer Burial Ground to Zombie Flesh Eaters.

Whilst Zombie flesh Eaters works very well as a moody, hopeless struggle for survival (with some excellent FX work), Burial Ground, whilst less excellent FX-wise still carries that hopeless message but mingles it with some sleaze and some truly WTF?! moments to create a enormously fun film. Whilst it may not be technically as 'good', it's a film I have a real soft spot for and love to watch again and again.

Paul@TheOverlook 10th April 2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson Blade (Post 230398)
I don't think any Argento film comes close to the awfulness of Phantom of The Opera :D

Mother of Tears comes pretty damn close, IMO.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 230420)
Mother of Tears comes pretty damn close, IMO.

I'm going to have to stick up for MoT here! Whilst it is easily the worst of the three mothers trilogy, I think it's still an enjoyable film, especially if you take it as a stand-alone work and not compare it to Suspiria or Inferno.

Phantom isn't too bad (aside from some of the acting ;)), either.

Much prefer the above two Argento's to The Card Player and Giallo.