Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 2nd October 2019 09:41 PM

To be fair, the design is the weak point this time as it looks a tad silly, but I'm sold on the rest of the imagery in this film.
There's a reason they are called graphic novels after all ... ;)
I have actually read some of the books for once :laugh: and it reminds me of them. Some may disagree. Their review will be different.
Sober btw :laugh:

Demoncrat 2nd October 2019 10:49 PM

Again??

Ahem. The pandering may annoy, but by Cthulhu it's gory min :laugh:

trebor8273 4th October 2019 04:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY

Does it live up to the hype? I would say it does . This is not a superhero movie , it's the story of one man's descent in to madness in an uncaring and cruel world. Joaquin Phoenix performance is just amazing and if he doesn't get the Oscar their is something seriously wrong. The way the media went on you would think it was endlessly violent for violents sake, but it's not ,it's violent and graphic in its violence but it's not out of place and we have probably less than half a dozen scenes of violence in the whole movie, most of the films , is Arthur's transformation from a loser with mental problems too him becoming The Joker. You really shouldnt but part of you ends up rooting for him in this uncaring world , where the poor and less fortunate and taking advantage by the rich, with Thomas Wayne (Bruce's farther) coming of as self centred Trump like figure. Well worth a watch especially for Phoenix stellar performance. 9.3/10

Nordicdusk 4th October 2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 612523)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY

Does it live up to the hype? I would say it does . This is not a superhero movie , it's the story of one man's descent in to madness in an uncaring and cruel world. Joaquin Phoenix performance is just amazing and if he doesn't get the Oscar their is something seriously wrong. The way the media went on you would think it was endlessly violent for violents sake, but it's not ,it's violent and graphic in its violence but it's not out of place and we have probably less than half a dozen scenes of violence in the whole movie, most of the films , is Arthur's transformation from a loser with mental problems too him becoming The Joker. You really shouldnt but part of you ends up rooting for him in this uncaring world , where the poor and less fortunate and taking advantage by the rich, with Thomas Wayne (Bruce's farther) coming of as self centred Trump like figure. Well worth a watch especially for Phoenix stellar performance. 9.3/10

Im really looking forward to this Joaquin Phoenix is an outstanding actor.

iank 4th October 2019 09:45 PM

Deep Impact. A TV journalist inadvertently stumbles onto the biggest story in history - a meteor headed for Earth that could destroy all life. Robert Duvall heads an all star cast in this late 90s flick that is more melodrama than action or even your typical disaster movie. It's well made and acted, but a bit too long, with the second hour dragging on a tad.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 612562)
Im really looking forward to this Joaquin Phoenix is an outstanding actor.

Me too. Trying to read nothing about it so nothing's spoiled.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th October 2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 612574)
Deep Impact. A TV journalist inadvertently stumbles onto the biggest story in history - a meteor headed for Earth that could destroy all life. Robert Duvall heads an all star cast in this late 90s flick that is more melodrama than action or even your typical disaster movie. It's well made and acted, but a bit too long, with the second hour dragging on a tad.

Saw this at the cinema. We roared with laughter at the mawkish sentimental ending.

iank 5th October 2019 09:25 PM

Hell Fest. A horror-themed travelling sideshow at a local amusement park seems like a fun night out for a group of young college friends - until a masked maniac chooses the same night to make the park his own personal hunting ground. This 2018 B movie slasher horror is... actually way better than I was honestly expecting. An unusual and atmospheric setting, stylish direction and admittedly generic but well-acted and likeable characters make for a thoroughly entertaining modern throwback to classic slasher fare. Fun. :nod:

Frankie Teardrop 6th October 2019 10:25 AM

This is what I've been up to since we last met -

THE SENDER – Psychic with a dark past spooks out a psych ward in this well-made offering from the early eighties. Despite its vintage, it has more in common with something like ‘Sole Survivor’, another slow-burn -with-dark-visions flick, than anything splattery from around the time. The dark stuff is all in the build-up and the atmosphere, carried by good performances.

SATAN’S SLAVE – NJ Warren’s first go at horror sees a woman trapped in Satanist Michael Gough’s mansion. It’s stiff Brit goth sliding over into slimier, more exploitative territory – the mist laden, crumbling vistas are spiced up with nudity and gore, like that gratuitous eye stabbing at the end (or the awful scissor bit at the start if you’re into the ‘international cut’.) very good, slightly straighter than his other, more eccentric ‘hits’.

LORDS OF CHAOS – Power games turn deadly on Norway’s black metal scene when long haired guitar screecher Euronymous locks horns with creepy newcomer Varg. Churches burn as a result, as per all that notoriety on the news from the early nineties. I seem to remember the book being different. ‘Lords of Chaos’ is fairly entertaining, but tonally the clash between wry black comedy and something more visceral and bleak doesn’t really work.

US – From the director of ‘Get Out’. ‘Us’ is solid as a horror flick, but a bit clunky in its ‘message’, which feels simultaneously heavy handed and vague. Basically, it’s about mainstream America coming face to face with its supressed ‘other’, an unrepresented socioeconomic underclass metaphorised here in the form of doppelgangers who originate from a funhouse in Miami. Also couldn’t quite dig the transition from tense home invasion tropes to the clumsy surrealism nearer the end. But, a recommended watch in that it entertains and provokes, and we need more social commentary coming from this direction but done better.

THE HOLE IN THE GROUND – Good slow burn horror set out in the sticks somewhere in Ireland, where a wood conceals a vast and mysterious pit. A woman in search of a new start in an isolated cottage finds that her son is acting all weird after a trip to said forest… who is this child? He seems like an imposter. Paranoia and dread beckon, as per. I liked THITG, maybe it needed a bit more edge to sustain it in parts, but the thing with hole and it’s ‘secret’ almost seemed a little Lovecraftian in a way, which was impressive.

SLEEPAWAY CAMP 3 – Me and comedy horror, well, I’ve said it on countless occasions, we just don’t get along really. So why is it that I always end up saying something like “despite hating comedy horror, I really loved this”? Which, boringly, is the case here. Sorry. Anyway, SC3, OK, maybe I didn’t quite ‘love’ it, but I found it a thoroughly entertaining piece of feel-good trash which seemed to effortlessly summon the kind of vibe of gleeful malevolence that so often eluded many of its ilk. The set-up is the same as before before before ie Pam Springsteen is back on the camp, this time stalking disadvantaged city kids there as part of some kind of rehab program, and blah blah blah, it’s just a load of murders and one-liners, obvs. Yet, garbage it may be, but its delivery is one of style, panache and deft precision. One sore point – all the gore binned by the MPAA back in the day remains unrestorable, presumably.

IN FABRIC – Peter Strickland continues to make pretty ace films, and ‘In Fabric’ is quite the oddest proposition of his so far. It’s about a dress from a seventies / eighties seeming Brit department store (the film’s timeframe is blurry) that conceals a supernatural malevolence within its silky scarlet folds. We follow the grim travails of two of its owners as they deal with all the bad stuff the dress brings in its wake. In keeping with Strickland’s other stuff, ‘In Fabric’ evades genre at the same time as it plays with horror imagery and tropes; in this case, he’s come up with a real head-scratch, a kind of missing link between old school British sit-com and the decadent pop-surrealism of peak Euro-horror. It’s a total delight, the kind of baffling weirdness that we desperately need more of and is severely recommended.

gag 6th October 2019 10:59 AM

Frankie Tearsrop
I almost watched In Fabric a week or two back it's in my to watch list, think I'll give it a whirl now more sooner than later.

Demoncrat 7th October 2019 09:35 AM

As always Frankie ..... :hail:

bleakshaun 7th October 2019 06:51 PM

Joker
Arthur Fleck is a man who lives with his mother and aspires to be a stand up comedian, unfortunately everything stacks against him.
If this wasn't a dc movie it would've worked perfectly. Joaquin Phoenix does a great job in the role. I'm not a big comic book film fan but I will say by far my favourite comic movie and probably my favourite film of this year.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nordicdusk 7th October 2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 612768)
Joker
Arthur Fleck is a man who lives with his mother and aspires to be a stand up comedian, unfortunately everything stacks against him.
If this wasn't a dc movie it would've worked perfectly. Joaquin Phoenix does a great job in the role. I'm not a big comic book film fan but I will say by far my favourite comic movie and probably my favourite film of this year.

Going to see it tomorrow night.

iank 8th October 2019 08:28 AM

Joker. Arthur Fleck is a downtrodden man with mental health issues, struggling to make a living as a clown and look after his sick mother. But in a city ripe with crime, cruelty and rampant disinterest in the welfare of others, a series of unpleasant happenings begin to increasingly disconnect him from reality... Joaquin Phoenix gives an excellent performance in what is certainly a very unusual comic book movie, solely from the perspective of a troubled but not unsympathetic man who will soon become a notorious criminal lunatic. Different, but good. :nod:

Dave Boy 8th October 2019 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219742

Yep! Dark, grim, bleak and violent. Excellent performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th October 2019 03:12 PM

JOKER

Set in New York in 1981, this origin story of one of DC's most famous antagonists is not an easy film to watch. It is dark and brutal at times, often uncomfortable viewing and, like its characters, is a narrative without any redeeming features.

It's also a film which surprised me with Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of the title character, not because I didn't think he was capable of a great performance, but because it was better than Heath Ledger's The Joker in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight, a performance I thought set a bar for superhero antagonists which would never be reached. Phoenix does not only reach that bar, but surpasses Ledger's performance.

The casting of Robert De Niro as a TV host who acts as an inspiration for Phoenix's Arthur Fleck, an aspiring stand-up comedian is an interesting choice because Fleck has more in common with Travis Bickel and Rupert Pupkin from Martin Scorsese's Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, respectively, than any previous film version of a DC villain. Fleck isn't a comic book super villain of the sort I pictured from Batman: The Killing Joke or any previous Batman films but more like the sort of misanthropic sociopath or psychopath you would find in a psychological thriller or horror film. As well as the De Niro characters mentioned above, he physically resembles Christian Bale's Trevor Reznick (The Machinist) in his emaciated physique and chain-smoking. He is a profoundly unsettling, compelling, and powerful character who should earn Phoenix a Best Actor Oscar.

I didn't think I'd see a film this dark and intense from Todd Phillips, a director most famous for helming lightweight comedies like Road Trip, Due Date, and Old School. It's a film which is incredibly well shot and edited, looking like something from the late 1970s or early '80s due to the incredible production design, set decoration, and make-up.

Go see it at the cinema – you shouldn't be disappointed.

gag 8th October 2019 06:26 PM

People are in uproar over fact Gary glitter could profit due to fact one of his songs is used in the joker film.

Deadite 8th October 2019 06:50 PM

So, has anyone seen Joker then? ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th October 2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 612862)
People are in uproar over fact Gary glitter could profit due to fact one of his songs is used in the joker film.

Which people? I'm not aware of any uproar. Are these people upset every time 'Hello' by Oasis or any song written and/or produced by Phill Spektor is played on the radio?

bleakshaun 8th October 2019 07:04 PM

There were a few articles online saying that Gary Glitter could get thousands in royalties for one of his songs being in the film.

trebor8273 8th October 2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 612871)
Which people? I'm not aware of any uproar. Are these people upset every time 'Hello' by Oasis or any song written and/or produced by Phill Spektor is played on the radio?

Seen a couple of articles here and their but doubt anyone's in a up roar, it's just the press seem to have it in for the movie so they find anything negative they can but I do think he shouldn't get a penny.

Nordicdusk 8th October 2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 612873)
Seen a couple of articles here and their but doubt anyone's in a up roar, it's just the press seem to have it in for the movie so they find anything negative they can but I do think he shouldn't get a penny.

It does feel like they are just looking for things to be enraged about when it comes to this film. I also agree with your final point.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th October 2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 612873)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 612874)
It does feel like they are just looking for things to be enraged about when it comes to this film. I also agree with your final point.

It's Gary Glitter's music, so why shouldn't he, his record company and cowriter make the money to which they are entitled? Who decides what crime means someone is deprived of their contractually obligated income?

gag 8th October 2019 07:27 PM

Not actually about the film and more to do with one of Gary glitters song being used and chances he might gain from it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th October 2019 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 612880)
Not actually about the film and more to do with one of Gary glitters song being used and chances he might gain from it.

You're right. This conversation is completely unrelated to this thread and should stop here.

:focus:

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th October 2019 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Action in the North Atlantic (1943)

If ever a film lived up to it's name it's this stirring and occasionally flag waving epic about a convoy of international ships - being an American film it centres around the American vessel Seawitch - braving U-Boat Wolfpacks and the Luftwaffe in an attempt to get supplies to the Russian port of Murmansk.

Headlined by Humphrey Bogart and Raymond Massey, although this is as much about the rest of the crew of the merchant vessel as it is the officers, the film has great star power and electric performances all round. Due to it being made at war time, the film was actually totally produced on Warner Bros sound stages so it's a great credit to all that you'd never know.

Gripping from first to last and as authentic as can be, Action in the North Atlantic is a cracking black and white war film.

Demoncrat 9th October 2019 10:26 AM

Direct Action (2004, Sidney J Furie)

Dolph and sundries in a Nu Image bloodbath. Recommended to those who believe in Godard's maxim that "a film is ... a girl and a gun" ;)
Generic plot (somewhat Gauntlet - y cough), and cheap as chips, but you know what you are getting.

Men In Black International

Made me want to see the first film again, as i found the humour to be forced somewhat. One interesting death early on led me to beleive the film would be betterer than it eventually wasn't :laugh:.

Nordicdusk 9th October 2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 612899)
Action in the North Atlantic (1943)

If ever a film lived up to it's name it's this stirring and occasionally flag waving epic about a convoy of international ships - being an American film it centres around the American vessel Seawitch - braving U-Boat Wolfpacks and the Luftwaffe in an attempt to get supplies to the Russian port of Murmansk.

Headlined by Humphrey Bogart and Raymond Massey, although this is as much about the rest of the crew of the merchant vessel as it is the officers, the film has great star power and electric performances all round. Due to it being made at war time, the film was actually totally produced on Warner Bros sound stages so it's a great credit to all that you'd never know.

Gripping from first to last and as authentic as can be, Action in the North Atlantic is a cracking black and white war film.

I will have to check this out .

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th October 2019 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All Through the Night (1942)

A cracking war time set thriller which sees Broadway businessman / mobster Humphrey Bogart track down a nest of Fifth Columnists (Nazis to you and i) who plot to blow up the US Navy's newest and biggest battleship in New York harbour.

A film which grabs the attention from the get go and never loosens it's grip. Bogart is on cracking form as the reluctant hero and Kaaren Verne a great dame to kill for as 'usual suspects' Conrad Veidt and Peter Lorre lurk menacingly in the shadows. The dialogue is both fast and loose and very funny especially in the earlier scenes before suspense begins to boil and the tense action sequences kick in.

All Through the Night tends to get lost when Bogart's best films are mentioned but this is a terrific ride and should be better known.

And to think. It all started with a cheesecake.

J Harker 11th October 2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 613070)
All Through the Night (1942)

All Through the Night tends to get lost when Bogart's best films are mentioned but this is a terrific ride and should be better known.

And to think. It all started with a cheesecake.

Thats an odd choice for you in the middle of Octoberween Dem?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th October 2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 613109)
Thats an odd choice for you in the middle of Octoberween Dem?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Need something earlier in the evening to escape the constant horror.

Tonight it will be football, Celeb Masterchef and the last two episodes of Michael Portillo traveling by train from Windsor to Portland. :pop2:

Nordicdusk 12th October 2019 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219849

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad so i was pretty excited when i heard that this was coming to Netflix to see what they would do with it. El Camino kicks off right where season 5 ended and ties up what happened to Jesse after he escaped Uncle Jack and his neo nazi gang. It was great to see a few familiar faces even if they weren't around for long. Not much a can say to avoid spoilers ill just say it was nice to have a loose end tied up. Aaron Paul is fantastic showing how fragile Jesse is after everything he has seen and been through he is desperate and broken he knows he can never make things right but he can do right by himself.

If you watched the show this is a must if not Breaking Bad is well worth your time before you watch this.

gag 12th October 2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 613152)
Attachment 219849

I really enjoyed Breaking Bad so i was pretty excited when i heard that this was coming to Netflix to see what they would do with it. El Camino kicks off right where season 5 ended and ties up what happened to Jesse after he escaped Uncle Jack and his neo nazi gang. It was great to see a few familiar faces even if they weren't around for long. Not much a can say to avoid spoilers ill just say it was nice to have a loose end tied up. Aaron Paul is fantastic showing how fragile Jesse is after everything he has seen and been through he is desperate and broken he knows he can never make things right but he can do right by himself.

If you watched the show this is a must if not Breaking Bad is well worth your time before you watch this.

Never watched a episode of Breaking Bad, but for all those who don't own it can buy it from HMV on blu ray complete series for £11.99.

trebor8273 12th October 2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 613156)
Never watched a episode of Breaking Bad, but for all those who don't own it can buy it from HMV on blu ray complete series for £11.99.

But it, it's a crime not get this amazing show at this price. Unless you have Netflix then watch it their.

iank 13th October 2019 08:57 PM

When Harry Met Sally. Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan are two New Yorkers determined to prove that men and women can be the best of friends without sex getting in the way. Good luck with that. Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby co-star in this late 80s romantic comedy that's still very funny and sweet. I have seen this once before, but it was a very long time ago (we're talking decades). ;)

gag 13th October 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 613167)
But it, it's a crime not get this amazing show at this price. Unless you have Netflix then watch it their.

I've got all series except 4th, I've had a busy year this year so not got round to watching as much TV films as would like to, house is up for sale so we hopefully we be moving soon .
Once we have got settled in and other things and situations have calmed down then I'll buy season 4 and binge watch it, same goes for other stuff what I've bought as well.

iank 15th October 2019 09:26 PM

Shazam! A teenage boy is blessed/cursed with superpowers by a dying wizard. Seems pretty fun at first - until they get him and his new foster family targeted by a super-villain. This tongue-in-cheek 2019 flick is moderately entertaining for the most part, marred by the Yet Another Superhero Movie syndrome and a predictable CGI-fest ending.

Deadite 15th October 2019 11:18 PM

Didn't want anything too heavy so ditched my Octoberthon again and re-watched John Carter, the Disney adaptation of Burroughs books where a man is transported to Barsoom (Mars) and encounters all sorts of weird cultures. I think i'm right in saying this film flopped at the cinema, but its nowhere near as bad as all that. I find it entertaining even if Taylor Kitsch seems miscast (although to be fair, he looks awkward in pretty much everything i've seen him in, so maybe he's just not a very good actor). Go Virginia!

Demoncrat 17th October 2019 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
John Carter is a wee treat alright.

Shark! (1969, Samuel Fuller)

Where do I start with this one?
Fuller's penultimate film. He wasn't party to the editing to it (wildly chequered production history aside), so do not come expecting his usual standard visually. Regardless, it's business as usual; what with the amorality a gogo that you do expect from his characters :nod:. Burt's so rugged etc :lol:.
Did I mention Barry Sullivan playing a drunken doctor (in a fez!!!)?? And also the child character calld Runt, who is seen smoking a cigar at one point (and NO, it's nae Peter Bark ahahaha). The print of this Prism dvd was like mud in milk, so I will be getting the Troma BD sharpish.
Did I mention it was a Troma film? :laugh: Distrubuted by them anyhow cough. A real death that occured during the filming is ruthlessly exploited, which does make for a queasy scene or two. Crivvens etc.

Demoncrat 17th October 2019 07:47 PM

Blackmail

Woooh female parent. I do pick them. Roger Rees. Yes, that Roger Rees :laugh:
Ostensibly an 'action thriller" ... think more Samurai Cop than John Wick mind ;)
Bokeem and crew try their mitts at some .... guess then? :laugh:
They select the wrong candidate. Mayhem ensues. SBU. RECOMMENDED.
One of those you can't quite believe you are watching. You know, the good ones ;)