Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 24th September 2019 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eyes Without A Face (Les Yeux Sans Visage) 1960.

After his daughter is scarred by an accident, the doctor kidnaps young girls and takes their skin to give his daughter a new face.

Georges Fraju's vision into madness and isolation is brought together in this dark tale of the length a father would go to give his daughter a perfect new face. Pierre Brasseur's portrayal as the doctor is quite haunting in parts as he can be seen as someone who has a caring side but also a dark side. Alida Valli plays Louise who had help by the doctor and aides him in his ploy to get skin.
Edith Scob plays the young daughter Christiane, locked away in isolation wearing a mask.

The film starts off decent but seems to go slow and drag on but at the same time it's interesting and not to let you take your eyes off the screen. Maurice Jarre provides a great background score which makes some moments in the film very tense and a intriguing way to the horror of madness. Recommended

Dave Boy 25th September 2019 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219292
CANADIAN MOUNTIES VS ATOMIC INVADERS (1953)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 12 CHAPTERS

Don't be misled by the title. This is no alien invasion serial.
Mountie Don Roberts has his hand full trying to stop villains from building a missile launch base so they can attack cities in the U.S
Plenty of punch ups, usually Don taking on two guys by himself in explosive cliffhangers.
The villain of the serial is Marloff. A useless boss who spends his time undercover in a cabin talking on his radio and forever keeps talking about "My country". What his country is, is never revealed but he stays in his cabin and sends his henchmen out each episode only to have them fail in their schemes and then scolds them for failure. "My country must have the missile launch base ready for the attack on the U.S cities". We get this every episode in case we missed it.
Anyway, it's good fun but lower on budget, as at this time movie serials were coming to an end.

Justin101 25th September 2019 09:52 AM

WarGames (1983)

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ffc06662...g6fto1_540.png

As some of you may know from another thread I'm currently reading Ready Player One which is a fantastic love letter to the 80s. A pivotal scene in the book centres around Matthew Broderick and WarGames, it was such a good chapter that I dragged my copy of the film out and watched it again.

American cold war teen-thriller with an anti-war stance that seems quite out of place with Reagan's America that's exciting and action packed!

I've not watched this for a while, and the first thing which struck me was how young Broderick looked so I checked his Wiki page and he was 21 when made this, and therefore 24 when he was Ferris :scared: to say I was surprised in an understatement lol

Oh yeah, Ally Sheedy was cute too (also 21.., also surprised!).

Graveyard 25th September 2019 11:38 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ome_poster.jpg

The 3rd Avengers movie, oh wait it's another Spiderman movie but they spend so much time promoting the avengers for a moment I though this was the wrong movie.. Boring, took me 3 days to finish.

RIP Comic book movies.

Dave Boy 25th September 2019 02:37 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Z5PEG0yHj7...-hf_ukq_ag.jpg

Ongoing mystery.. How the hell do Kate O Mara's boobs stay in those tops in Horror Of Frankenstein? It's incredible!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GDpl5AklT7...0/horrorf1.jpg

Justin101 25th September 2019 02:39 PM

Double sided sticky tape :lol:

Inspector Abberline 25th September 2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 611850)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Z5PEG0yHj7...-hf_ukq_ag.jpg

Ongoing mystery.. How the hell do Kate O Mara's boobs stay in those tops in Horror Of Frankenstein? It's incredible!

same way I keep mine in cellotape...

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th September 2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 611850)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 611851)
Double sided sticky tape :lol:

And someone gets paid to do this.

I am definitely in the wrong job.

Dave Boy 25th September 2019 03:27 PM

.. More like Superglue to keep those in!

MrBarlow 25th September 2019 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Thing From Another World 1951.

Air force officials and scientists discover a spacecraft buried in the Arctic and discover a frozen pilot. When the pilot is thawed out all hell breaks loose and a fight for survival begins.

This movie still holds up after 68 years, with the dark moody atmosphere, tension and suspense, James Arness as The Thing, his movements seem minimum but face expression is more than enough to creep people out, the opening sequence and background score was great. Even the cast made it believable that they were being stalked by an unknown creature and none of the daft acting from the 50s.

Nordicdusk 25th September 2019 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My booby scenes were tingling so i had to pop in :lol:

Attachment 219351

Dave Boy 26th September 2019 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219406
THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW (1983)

Pretty decent slasher. I found the scenes where the girl is searching the attic quite creepy with a good music score.
Also if you are not expecting it, the final scenes in the attic with the wind up jack in the box and what comes after are great.

Demoncrat 26th September 2019 11:04 PM

Charlie Says

A cheap holiday in other peoples misery. Songs even. No mention of Shorty Shea either. Creepy crawl away ....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2019 03:08 PM

Ready or Not

The film begins with a flashback in which two masked young boys see a man being killed with longbows. Events then move forward 30 years to when a couple, Alex Le Domas and Grace, are getting married in the grounds of the mansion belonging to Alex’s wealthy family. You can tell by Alex’s body language that he is uncomfortable to be around his family members and in the mansion, but Grace is generally happy to be having a ‘dream wedding’, only being a little embarrassed about her smoking with Alex’s mother, lying about being a smoker when the older woman is lighting up.

After the wedding, it is explained that they are going to play a game that night and it could be checkers, old maid, or something else. Everyone sits around a fairly ornate table and a little more background to the history of this tradition is provided: Alex’s great, great-grandfather made a deal with a Mr Le Ball in which he would help the Le Domas family become rich in return for this tradition where everyone who joins the family must play a game when the clock strikes midnight on the wedding night. When Grace pulls a card from the box which reads ‘hide and seek’ some people round the table look a little surprised and uncomfortable.

This surprise and discomfort is not unfounded because once Grace has gone off to hide with a head start with the other family members counting to 100, they began pulling antique weaponry from the walls with the clear intention to hunt her down and kill her.

The tone of the film is established at this point when unexpected deaths begin to happen with an amount of gore and violence which is just on the right side of gratuitous, and played for laughs with the darkest of dark humour involving accidental deaths, an unhelpful telephone operator and a homicidal butler.

The characters are great and entirely plausible when you have a large and obscenely wealthy family, ranging from the alcoholic brother to the bloodthirsty elderly aunt and the accident-prone sister, who is also terrible at keeping her cocaine use a secret. It is written with dark humour that wouldn’t have been out of place in The League of Gentlemen and directed with a real sense of flair and energy.

I don’t really want to say any more so as not to spoil this for anyone (there are a surprising number of spoilers in the trailer), but will say that it is a highly enjoyable, smart and gruesome movie which you can watch while relaxing with some popcorn and/or a drink. I can understand why it received a lot of critical praise and people including Guillermo del Toro and Stephen King have sung its praises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYTwUxhAoI

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2019 03:12 PM

Nice one, Nos.

I read a review in Empire the other day and their reviewer said it was also very good.

Will definitely blind buy it on disc.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th September 2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 612000)
Nice one, Nos.

I read a review in Empire the other day and their reviewer said it was also very good.

Will definitely blind buy it on disc.

It's one I would happily see again at the cinema and will probably buy from HMV when it's released for home viewing.

I didn't mention the wonderful setting and excellent set decoration and production design, which managed to make it look like a period drama and contemporary horror at the same time. Because it takes place in an old mansion with antique weaponry and there are wealthy family members and the staff (a few mates and Butler), it's probably what would happen if people went on a killing spree in Downton Abbey!

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th September 2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 612002)
It's one I would happily see again at the cinema and will probably buy from HMV when it's released for home viewing.

I didn't mention the wonderful setting and excellent set decoration and production design, which managed to make it look like a period drama and contemporary horror at the same time. Because it takes place in an old mansion with antique weaponry and there are wealthy family members and the staff (a few mates and Butler), it's probably what would happen if people went on a killing spree in Downton Abbey!

Sold! :grim:

iank 27th September 2019 09:20 PM

End of Days. Big Arnie takes on his biggest opponent yet - Satan himself! Arnie's an ex-cop, embittered following the murder of his own family, who becomes embroiled in a conspiracy surrounding an innocent young woman who has been chosen to bear the Devil's child and bring about the end of the world... Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollak and The Mentalist's Robin Tunney co-star in this late 90s action/horror hybrid. As with a few others from this time, including Con Air and Arnie's Eraser, I wasn't a massive fan of this at the time but thoroughly enjoy it now. Great ludicrous OTT fun. :nod:

Demoncrat 27th September 2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 612029)
End of Days. Big Arnie takes on his biggest opponent yet - Satan himself! Arnie's an ex-cop, embittered following the murder of his own family, who becomes embroiled in a conspiracy surrounding an innocent young woman who has been chosen to bear the Devil's child and bring about the end of the world... Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollak and The Mentalist's Robin Tunney co-star in this late 90s action/horror hybrid. As with a few others from this time, including Con Air and Arnie's Eraser, I wasn't a massive fan of this at the time but thoroughly enjoy it now. Great ludicrous OTT fun. :nod:

End-less fun. Arnie pissed. Gaaaabriel Byrne. Rewatch!!!:hail:

Nordicdusk 27th September 2019 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 219428

John Rambo is back on the ranch where he was born just trying to live out his days with his horses and his adopted family. When his niece goes to Mexico to find her birth father she gets kidnapped and forced into prostitution. Soon uncle John comes to town and shit starts to hit the fan but at first is a wind of shit that later turns into a shitnado.

Last Blood is a great throw back to no holds barred action its just straight up over the top gore that would fit perfectly into any horror. Stallone is not messing about here he's straight in no kissing head explode faces are smashed in ripped off punched off shot off arms legs and collar bones are tore off of bodies this is amazing and it was so over the top i couldn't stop laughing in the cinema. It may sound stupid and over the top but you can feel Rambos rage and emotion while this is going on and the actions he takes you can understand because of the pain his loved one has been put through.

Hell F***ing Yeah

8/10

MrBarlow 28th September 2019 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John Wick Chapter 3.

After being declared excominicado, John tries to survive assassins from all sides seeking help, those who help him are giving retribution from the high table.

Third instalment of the John Wick movies, the plot may not be the best, seems to trail off a bit and make little sense but the action and fighting scenes make it worth watching with guns, knives and a axe. Keanu Reeves, Ian Mcshane, Laurence Fishburne reprise their roles and Lance Reddick returns as Charon who seems to have an attachment to the dog with no name. Halle Berry, Anjelica Huston and Mark Dacascos appear in some decent parts. 6-7 out of 10.

bleakshaun 28th September 2019 01:59 PM

The Killing of a Sacred Deer
A surgeon with a perfect family takes a young boy under his wing and lets him meet his family, however things take a dark turn as his children lose the feeling in their legs.
As much as I loved this film I do find that the dialogue at times seems to be very monotone. Still a very dark film worth checking out.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Justin101 28th September 2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 612066)
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
A surgeon with a perfect family takes a young boy under his wing and lets him meet his family, however things take a dark turn as his children lose the feeling in their legs.
As much as I loved this film I do find that the dialogue at times seems to be very monotone. Still a very dark film worth checking out.

I think the dialogue delivery was a director choice, I personally liked it, it’s gives the film a strange feeling when you watch it.

bleakshaun 28th September 2019 03:45 PM

What We Do in The Shadows
A documentary crew are given crucifixes and follow a group fo vampires in New Zealand.
Absolutely loved this film, just a shame Petyr never got more of a role.

nosferatu42 28th September 2019 05:15 PM

If you liked the WWDITShadows film you should give the new T.V series spin off a go, i enjoyed that too.
It takes a few episodes to get into it's stride as it is a new set of vampires but it was pretty funny too. :pop2:

bleakshaun 28th September 2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 612078)
If you liked the WWDITShadows film you should give the new T.V series spin off a go, i enjoyed that too.

It takes a few episodes to get into it's stride as it is a new set of vampires but it was pretty funny too. :pop2:

I was planning on doing it

MrBarlow 28th September 2019 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Night of The Creeps 1986.

In 1959 an alien experiment crashes to earth and a parasite infects a frat member and his body is frozen. 30 years later two guys try to get into a frat house accidentally thaw out the body releasing parasites into the community.

This was like a tribute to the 50s B movies with a laugh and full of cheeseness along with it. Jason Lively (European Vacation) plays the unlikely hero in this and Tom Atkins (The Fog) plays the tough detective. As it may seem daft and funny in some ways it does have a seriousness of the horror genre to it and plenty of heads exploding. Didn't have me screaming like a banshee but it did thrill me :lol:. 7-8 out of 10.

bleakshaun 28th September 2019 06:43 PM

National Lampoon's Animal House
A couple of freshers join Delta and get caught up in their hijinks. At the same time the Dean wants to get rid of the frat for their degeneracy.
A classic simple as. Nothing I can say will add anything new.

Demoncrat 28th September 2019 10:23 PM

One Day Removals (Mark Stirton)

The Scottish After Hours :pound:
An "easy job" turns into a richt palaver and nae mistake ;)
It still makes me laugh. Anyone south of the Grampian region micht hae bother wi the dialogue, but there's aye the subtitles ken fit like? :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th September 2019 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

An interesting change of pace to the original Cloverfield film which opts to go down the psychological horror path rather than the previous found footage monster mash route as Mary Elizabeth Winstead wakes from a car accident to find herself chained up in what seems like John Goodman's nuclear bunker. What follows is a character piece, a low budget one at that, as Winstead also finds John Gallagher Jr. seemingly hostage in Goodman's bunker too.

Whilst the film remains enjoyable it lacks tension. The lack of characters and basically single confined space works against proceedings somewhat and surprises fell flat because i found them contrived and easy to figure out in a film that came across as dialogue heavy even though performances were all pretty good.

Come the end the overall impression was of an okay but instantly forgettable film and not one i'd want to watch again.

Demoncrat 29th September 2019 08:13 PM

Watching The Mule. Back soon! ;)

nosferatu42 29th September 2019 08:47 PM

Is that a Euphemism Demon.;)

Deadite 29th September 2019 09:23 PM

Well, as it was on telly and i hadn't seen it before just watched Captain America: Civil War. Dunno, maybe you have to be a real comic geek to get any squee out of this one, but to me is seemed like trying to have an adult conversation with tools that aren't meant for the job. Hurrah, we get some hero on hero action! But are they heroes? Ooh, angst - then fight!

Sorry, but i really don't like the Captain America films that much. I know a lot of people think they're the best of the Marvel films, but to me it's cramming a square peg into a round hole.

Demoncrat 29th September 2019 10:37 PM

The Mule (Clint Eastwood)

What's a man to do? Work for Andy Garcia it seems. A rather gentle take on the thriller genre imo. Bradley Cooper's in it, but don't let that put you off :laugh:
Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th September 2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 612142)
The Mule (Clint Eastwood)

What's a man to do? Work for Andy Garcia it seems. A rather gentle take on the thriller genre imo. Bradley Cooper's in it, but don't let that put you off :laugh:
Recommended.

Glad you liked it D.

Demoncrat 29th September 2019 10:51 PM

Love Thy Neighbour (1973, John Robins)

Another Hammer horror then :laugh:
Eddie and Bill are adjacent. Do they get on? Do they flip. The basic problem with most of these tv adaptations is that the need to stretch out a plot over 90 minutes is usually beyond most small screen scribes, so what you get are lots of incidents which don't add up to much tbh.
Or
Gaze in amazement at a time gone past. :scared:
Lawdy etc.

bleakshaun 30th September 2019 10:12 PM

The Thing
A dog gets picked by an American team in the Antarctica, unbeknownst to them it's an alien that can replicate any cells.
Look I'm pretty sure almost everyone has seen this so I'm not going to go into it any further. It's still perfect and the Arrow blu ray looks gorgeous.

Demoncrat 1st October 2019 08:00 PM

The Favourite

Wow. There's one closeup of Colly that is up there with Bergman imho. The use of 'fisheye' that warms the heart of an old cineaste also. Again he takes us to an 'alien' world (this time the past) and the use of natural (?) light can only remind of Barry Lyndon.
Don't all run to the exit you buggers :laugh:
Highly Recommended.

Demoncrat 1st October 2019 08:02 PM

Above The Law

So this will be the R print then :lol:
A verrry young looking Seagal plays up-a his Italian shtick as a rather violent copper, well what I can see anyhow :laugh:
Pam Grier is his pardner. Lawdy etc. Also you see him running. Not something that I have seen him do willingly recently. Capice?? :pound:

Demoncrat 2nd October 2019 08:28 PM

Hellboy (2019)

Well, I'm enjoying it so far. Tis more like the books gore wise. Back shortly :nod: