Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iank 15th September 2019 09:12 PM

I lost all interest the moment they threw out the characters we'd been watching for half a decade and started over the first time...:wise:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. A NY Transit cop must match wits with a dangerous sociopath when he and his men hijack a subway train and demand $1 million within the hour - or they begin executing the passengers. Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw star in this gritty and thoroughly enjoyable mid 70s thriller that also features Hector Elizondo and Mr Costanza himself, Jerry Stiller. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2019 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Critters Attack! (2019)

Disappointing fifth film in the series which is ruined by it's pacing dwelling too much on an annoying couple of college kids and their even more annoying charges whom they are babysitting.

The Critters are of course great but Dee Wallace is sadly wasted in a glorified cameo when she should have been centre stage rather than the numbskull youths.

If you like the ravenous fur balls then by all means give this a go but everyone else steer clear.

Demoncrat 15th September 2019 10:48 PM

Couldn't wait. It's very pretty. But ghastly. Just like the rest. Needed a few drams tbh. The Kingsman bint is something else. RECOFICKINGMENDED. Ahem.

MrBarlow 15th September 2019 11:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hollows Grove 2014.

A tv ghost hunting crew go to visit a abandoned orphanage called Hollows Grove. The F.B.I release the footage in hope to uncover what actually happened.

This is one of those found footage movies that we have seen before in the form of Grave Encounters, Santirorium (which were good) Episode 50. Only two actors I know were in this Mykelti Williamson and Lance Henriksen who's talents seem to be wasted. This was recommended by YouTube and glad it was free to watch I wouldn't waste money to watch, if you want time to pass and feel the need to be bored this is OK for background noise, other than that avoid.

Dave Boy 16th September 2019 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 218811
THE PURPLE MONSTER STRIKES (1945)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 15 CHAPTERS

Martians land on Earth and inhabit the bodies of those they kill, moving unsuspected back and forth in and out of the shell of the bodies.
They want to gain control of a rocket project so that they can return back and forth to Mars and invade the Earth..

Knockaround cliffhanger with some really good choregraphed fight scenes.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...8yH1qkwb59.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2019 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Knock Knock (2015)

I normally try and defend film maker Eli Roth against all the unwarranted criticism he gets from fans but Knock Knock is beyond defence.

It's awful. The story is ludicrous, the characters totally unbelievable and the acting genuinely poor. Keanu Reeves proves once and for all that when he isn't shooting people in neon lit corridors he possesses the acting nous of an empty jam jar.

Yet i never once thought of turning the film off. It's pure car crash, watch once, movie making. It's not so bad it's good, it's so bad it's laughable.

Justin101 16th September 2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 611198)
Critters Attack! (2019)

Disappointing fifth film in the series which is ruined by it's pacing dwelling too much on an annoying couple of college kids and their even more annoying charges whom they are babysitting.

The Critters are of course great but Dee Wallace is sadly wasted in a glorified cameo when she should have been centre stage rather than the numbskull youths.

If you like the ravenous fur balls then by all means give this a go but everyone else steer clear.

I might wait until it shows up on Shudder or Amazon Prime...

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 611251)
I might wait until it shows up on Shudder or Amazon Prime...

I know this is daft but i really like the slipcase artwork so i wouldn't get rid of it. I also know i'll watch it again at some point.

It, together with the Inspector's thoughts, have totally put me off from bothering with The Banana Splits Movie.:lol:

Justin101 16th September 2019 02:02 PM

I watched The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift yesterday and loved it. Seriously though, Lucas Black must be the world's oldest teenager, I honestly thought that first scene he was playing a supply teacher on his first day, not a 17 year old on his first day at a new High School :lol: constant 5 o'clock shadow and a full on hair chest :lol:

However, once you agree to just let that slide and imagine he is 17 the rest of the film is super exciting and high octane and has some great characters throughout. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat when Takeshi was chasing Sean through the streets of Shibuya and he turned the corner to be faced with 1000s of people crossing the famous Shibuya Scramble.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-con...ng-700x436.png

Fun film, looking forward to Part 4 :D

Deadite 16th September 2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 611194)
I lost all interest the moment they threw out the characters we'd been watching for half a decade and started over the first time...:wise:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. A NY Transit cop must match wits with a dangerous sociopath when he and his men hijack a subway train and demand $1 million within the hour - or they begin executing the passengers. Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw star in this gritty and thoroughly enjoyable mid 70s thriller that also features Hector Elizondo and Mr Costanza himself, Jerry Stiller. :nod:

Great film.

Gesundheit!

MrBarlow 16th September 2019 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Employer 2013.

A group of five people arrive for an interview with a new company, next day they awake in a room and try to figure out how to escape.

Malcolm McDowell stars as the managing director who pits the candidates against each other in a wits of battle and psychological games. There is very little tense moments and can be seen as predictable and once you have seen it that's it, one you can't watch over and over but some good kills, not one I can recommend even for a Malcolm McDowell movie. 3 out of 10.

J Harker 16th September 2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 611250)
Knock Knock (2015)

I normally try and defend film maker Eli Roth against all the unwarranted criticism he gets from fans but Knock Knock is beyond defence.

It's awful. The story is ludicrous, the characters totally unbelievable and the acting genuinely poor. Keanu Reeves proves once and for all that when he isn't shooting people in neon lit corridors he possesses the acting nous of an empty jam jar.

Yet i never once thought of turning the film off. It's pure car crash, watch once, movie making. It's not so bad it's good, it's so bad it's laughable.

It's not Reeves fault, its one of the worst casting decisions in history. Not that anyone else could have saved the film.

MrBarlow 16th September 2019 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Race 2008

Ex race driver Jensen Ames is arrested for his wife's murder, sent to terminal island he is given a choice, rot in there for his life or replace the car driver Frankenstein in the islands popular show Death Race.

Decent remake of the 70s film Death Race 2000, Jason Statham takes the lead role of Jensen/Frankenstein, Ian McShane stars as Coach, and his pit crew Gunner and Lists (Jacob Vargas and Fred Koehler, and warden Hennessey by Joan Allen. You can imagine it has all what you expect, fast cars, girls and plenty of gun fire and some blood splatter with the instant karma of one guy who thinks he can't die, film was decent to see on the big screen even though the plot was a bit thin and predictable. 7 out of 10

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 611277)
Death Race 2008

Ex race driver Jensen Ames is arrested for his wife's murder, sent to terminal island he is given a choice, rot in there for his life or replace the car driver Frankenstein in the islands popular show Death Race.

Decent remake of the 70s film Death Race 2000, Jason Statham takes the lead role of Jensen/Frankenstein, Ian McShane stars as Coach, and his pit crew Gunner and Lists (Jacob Vargas and Fred Koehler, and warden Hennessey by Joan Allen. You can imagine it has all what you expect, fast cars, girls and plenty of gun fire and some blood splatter with the instant karma of one guy who thinks he can't die, film was decent to see on the big screen even though the plot was a bit thin and predictable. 7 out of 10

I love the two dtv sequels as well. More of the same obviously but the budgets still there and Luke Goss is like a cut price Stath.

MrBarlow 16th September 2019 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Race 2. 2010

After a botched robbery, Carl "Luke" Lucas is sent to terminal island that hosts the show Death Match. When ratings start falling the company that funds it "Weyland Corporation" introduces a new show Death Race. Any criminal, no matter what crime they have done if they win five races they go free. Can Lucas survive and with his ex boss put a bounty on him.

Decent Prequel to the Death Race movie on how it was created in prison, Luke Goss stars as Carl Lucas who arrives on the island and trying to stay clear of everyone. Danny Trejo stars as the last Mexican Jew Goldberg and Ving Rhames as the corporation owner Weyland and Sean Bean as mob boss Markus. This was a direct to dvd, why it never went to a theatrical release it would be great to see it on the big screen, the title can be a bit off putting as it shows how the death race was created, there is more violence and plenty car action and a good background score.

MrBarlow 17th September 2019 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Death Race: Inferno. 2013.

After a take over Weyland Corporation is forced to sell Death Race to rival corporation York Industries who want to globalise Death Race, first to be held in Kalahari Desert, South Africa.

Second sequel to Death Race 2, this one is as great as the first two Its enjoyable, wouldn't say exciting and does come with some funny moments from driver Psycho.

Luke Goss, Danny Trejo, Ving Rhames and Fred Koehler return, this time the ignorant prick Niles York is played by Dougray Scott who seems to think the sky is the limit and someone you really want to punch. The races are good and tend to come with new game rules, new cars and first female death race driver. 7 out of 10

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2019 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Weird Science (1985)

Not the best John Hughes comedy but still very watchable. Kelly Le Brock sizzles whilst co-star Bill Paxton just annoys with the two geeky leads instantly forgettable.

Maggie (2015)

Who'da thought a film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger in the midst of a zombie outbreak could be so boring.

Justin101 17th September 2019 01:20 PM

I’m interested in Maggie now :lol:

trebor8273 17th September 2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 611253)
I watched The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift yesterday and loved it. Seriously though, Lucas Black must be the world's oldest teenager, I honestly thought that first scene he was playing a supply teacher on his first day, not a 17 year old on his first day at a new High School :lol: constant 5 o'clock shadow and a full on hair chest :lol:

However, once you agree to just let that slide and imagine he is 17 the rest of the film is super exciting and high octane and has some great characters throughout. I was genuinely on the edge of my seat when Takeshi was chasing Sean through the streets of Shibuya and he turned the corner to be faced with 1000s of people crossing the famous Shibuya Scramble.

https://filmschoolrejects.com/wp-con...ng-700x436.png

Fun film, looking forward to Part 4 :D

It's neck and neck with Black and Toby McGuire for the oldest teenager.

trebor8273 17th September 2019 06:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pPmCfKi3U

A true classic, no matter how many times I watch this i always see something new and don't call me Sheryl! 9.5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKayG1TrfuE

Another classic and a film I will never grow bored of, bonkers and hilariously funny with so many classic lines and scenes. 9.5/10

Now watching high anxiety ,which is my first time seeing this movie.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th September 2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 611322)
Maggie (2015)

Who'da thought a film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger in the midst of a zombie outbreak could be so boring.

I received the BD of this today having ordered it from Music Magpie because of favourable reviews. I wonder if that's now a purchase I'll regret.

Dave Boy 17th September 2019 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 218925
THEIR'S IS THE GLORY - MEN OF ARNHEM (1946)

The story of British Forces at Arnhem using some real footage and re-enacted by the soldiers who were there as part of Operation Market Garden 17th September 1944.

Followed by..

https://www.vintagemovieposters.co.u...14-470x354.jpg

trebor8273 17th September 2019 08:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwFlycpiJw

An enjoyable Mel Brooks spoof of Alfred Hitchcock movies, Brooks plays a psychiatrist who gets a job as the head of a psychiatric hospital , he soon suspects there is something wrong with the hospital but before he can figure out what he is framed for mutrder. Several nods to Hitchcock movies including the birds and the shower scene from psycho. 7/10

Now watching sixteen candles.

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 611360)
I received the BD of this today having ordered it from Music Magpie because of favourable reviews. I wonder if that's now a purchase I'll regret.

You'll probably like it. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th September 2019 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 611363)
Attachment 218925
THEIR'S IS THE GLORY - MEN OF ARNHEM (1946)

The story of British Forces at Arnhem using some real footage and re-enacted by the soldiers who were there as part of Operation Market Garden 17th September 1944.

Followed by..

https://www.vintagemovieposters.co.u...14-470x354.jpg

I too shall be watching A Bridge Too Far before the 26th of September passes.

I really enjoyed the Battlefield tour i went on which took in Arnhem.

J Harker 17th September 2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 611360)

I enjoyed Maggie, though it is a slow film and an unusual choice for Arnie.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th September 2019 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 611367)
You'll probably like it. :lol:

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/att...1&d=1568756394

Graveyard 17th September 2019 10:05 PM

Arrived late to the party of the Friday 13 - this one is the only one available on netflix

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...82,268_AL_.jpg

A lot's of people dying, but not a lot of blood, some of the deaths are off screen, very disappointed :nono:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2019 11:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Inbetweeners Movie (2011) The Inbetweeners 2 (2014)

A double bill of Inbetweeners films may make some of you wretch, but for several years when the show was on tv it was the funniest thing around. These two films carry that humour onwards and upwards as the four lads (Will, Neill, Simon and Jay) leave school and are about to go their separate ways into uni and work until they decide to go on holiday to Crete. What follows is mishap and mayhem that i bet many of you who have been on a 'lads holiday' will have witnessed or been part of. I know i have. Funny (and crude) from start to finish with a surprisingly heart warming finale.

The Inbetweeners 2
continues some months later as the lads discover the idiotic and compulsive liar Jay is living the hedonistic lifestyle during a gap year in Australia so the other three unhappy with their current lot in life decide to join him. Whilst this isn't as consistently funny as the first film it does have the biggest laugh out loud moment involving a water chute at a theme park.

Rik 18th September 2019 11:30 AM

The dancing scene from the first film never fails to crack me up :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 611382)
The dancing scene from the first film never fails to crack me up :lol:

I might end up watching the whole series again now. Already got the dvd's out.

Dave Boy 18th September 2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 611368)
I too shall be watching A Bridge Too Far before the 26th of September passes.

I really enjoyed the Battlefield tour i went on which took in Arnhem.

Awesome. I may have mentioned it before but myself and some mates were in Amsterdam and took the train in to Arnhem. We saw John Frost Bridge and went to the Airborne Museum at the Hartenstein Hotel in Oosterbeek.

Demoncrat 18th September 2019 07:08 PM

Childs Play (2019)

Whilst possibly the silliest movie that I have seen tonight :lol:, I am enjoying it unlike other reboots recently perused ahem. Yes I is drunk.
But still! Much to enliven any pervert's nicht imho. Apart from the deviously subtle 'pro censorship ' vibe that is cough.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2019 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 611404)
Awesome. I may have mentioned it before but myself and some mates were in Amsterdam and took the train in to Arnhem. We saw John Frost Bridge and went to the Airborne Museum at the Hartenstein Hotel in Oosterbeek.

Nice one, Dave.

A proper historical building that hotel. Divisional headquarters for the Allies.

There were loads of deer in the gardens when i was there.

Demoncrat 18th September 2019 08:34 PM

Now I is casting my bread upon the shores of Thunderball :rolleyes:
By Cthulhu it's weird.
:laugh: It's not the drink this time :lol:. He punches a widow a-hem.
Persevering am I ....

trebor8273 18th September 2019 09:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLtBJupFFM

Samantha ( Molly Ringwold ) is upset that because of her sister's wedding , her family have forgotten her birthday. Her birthday is spent mooning over high school hunk Jake Ryan whom might just have feelings for her and fending of unwanted advances of nerd ( Anthony Michael Hall). Enjoyable and fun even with that quite creepy date rape scene. Have to say I never have it any though of want the scene represented until a few years ago 7/10

Now watching The Andromeda Strain.

iank 18th September 2019 09:41 PM

Con Air. Sent to prison after killing a drunken thug in a fight, former US Ranger Nicolas Cage is finally being released, but the US Marshal flight that's meant to be his flight to freedom is hijacked by a highly dangerous group of other prisoners and he finds himself caught between them and the authorities in this ludicrously overblown but thoroughly enjoyable late 90s action flick that has a fantastic cast including John Cusack, John Malkovich, Colm Meaney, Ving Rhames and Steve Buscemi. Wonderful 90s dumb fun action.:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 611427)
Con Air. Sent to prison after killing a drunken thug in a fight, former US Ranger Nicolas Cage is finally being released, but the US Marshal flight that's meant to be his flight to freedom is hijacked by a highly dangerous group of other prisoners and he finds himself caught between them and the authorities in this ludicrously overblown but thoroughly enjoyable late 90s action flick that has a fantastic cast including John Cusack, John Malkovich, Colm Meaney, Ving Rhames and Steve Buscemi. Wonderful 90s dumb fun action.:nod:

I love Con Air. :clap:

Rik 18th September 2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 611428)
I love Con Air. :clap:

Me too, I usually watch it in a double bill with The Rock :nod:

MrBarlow 18th September 2019 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paganini Horror 1988.

A girl rock group are given a piece of music to help bring their careers back and make a a music video in a old house unaware the writer Paganini sold his soul to Satan.

Not the best Italian slasher movie, even Daria Nicoldi and Donald Pleasance acting are a bit wasted in this and why dubbed Donald's voice?? The acting is really not the greatest from the three members of the group, the death scenes are a bit of a laugh and not even a gore fest and cheaply done. Like or hate it there is no mediocre to it.