Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 644941)
Tried watching this a dozen or so times but just get to about 20 minutes and switch off every time.

The Blair Witch Project is remarkably effective and influential. It's one of the most unsettling and unnerving films I've ever seen.

I have watched it many times at home and always wish I'd seen it at the cinema.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 03:38 PM

Dolores Claiborne (1995) ★★★★

I haven't read the Stephen King novel on which this is based wouldn't be surprised if it has the same dual narrative structure in which events switch between the past and present, occasionally overlapping. It's brilliantly constructed by Taylor Hackford (from Tony Gilroy's screenplay) and its slow burning nature allows the powerful performances, especially from Kathy Bates (just as she did five years earlier in another King adaptation, Misery), to come to the fore and dominate. It isn't a solo outing from Bates as she is ably supported by an excellent cast including Jennifer Jason Leigh, David Strathairn, Judy Parfitt, John C. Reilly and Christopher Plummer.

It's very well shot by Gabriel Beristain, using locations in Canada to evoke the New England setting perfectly, Danny Elfman's score is very different from his normal output in Tim Burton's films, sounding much more evocative and melancholy, and Mark Warner's editing delivers consistent and appropriate pace while upping the tempo for the few action-oriented sequences.

It's a film which deals with serious issues in a mature way, never feeling exploitative or uncaring. For the subtext on the position of women in society and, particularly, how they are affected by employment opportunities and abusive relationships, it can easily be described as a feminist piece, though I don't know if that was Stephen King's intention; it's not mentioned by Taylor Hackford on the commentary track.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 03:40 PM

Innocent Blood (1992) ★★★★

This could lazy be described as a variation on An American Werewolf in London, perhaps A French Vampire in New York, but that would be doing the film a huge injustice.

Yes, it's a horror-comedy involving an outsider who is a reluctant killer, the supernatural, and law enforcement's efforts to find them, but there's more. Instead of the protagonist becoming 'cursed', it's a case of the 'killer with a conscience' unwittingly creating the antagonist: a borderline invincible mob boss with a taste for blood!

Anne Parillaud (best known for La Femme Nikita) is really good in the lead, but the film succeeds because of the stellar surrounding cast which includes several actors who would go on to appear in The Sopranos: Robert Loggia, Anthony LaPaglia, Don Rickles, Elaine Kagan, David Proval, Rocco Sisto, Chazz Palminteri, Kim Coates, Marshall Bell, Tony Sirico, Tony LipLuis Guzmán, and Angela Bassett, plus cameos from Frank Oz, Linnea Quigley, Tom Savini, Sam Rainey, and Dario Argento.

It's a jet black comedy, one which blends elements of horror, comedy, and the gangster film really well, and is a film I wish I'd seen years ago.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2021 03:43 PM

Days of Thunder (1990) ★★★½

It may basically be Top Gun on four wheels with a surprisingly clichéd and derivative script from Robert Towne, the writer of Chinatown's brilliant screenplay. However, it is superbly shot and edited, the sound design and editing can't be faulted, making the racing sequences are genuinely exciting and engrossing.

Additionally, I like the relationship between Robert Duvall's grizzled engineer and Tom Cruise's talented yet vulnerable race car driver. Though the relationship between Cruise and Kidman surprisingly doesn't have the same chemistry he had with Kelly McGillis in Top Gun, they are both good to watch and fairly plausible in their roles.

Graveyard 27th January 2021 04:26 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ase_poster.jpg

There is Sand & Sharks you cannot go wrong with this. For B fans and people that like to have a good time.

Demoncrat 27th January 2021 06:35 PM

Madman (1981, Joe Giannone)

My goodness this was old school. It almost reminded me of a conveyor belt cough. A real bunch of ... counsellors this lot :lol:.
In an opening speech that would have him on a register now, we get the legend of a local looney setting the scene ....
The usual near 30 year olds masquerading as "teens" and we are all set.
If only the lovely print hadn't shown up the villain's mask cough, I would have loved it more. :nod:

bleakshaun 27th January 2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 644898)
Death Wish 3 (1985)

A gentle rom-com from the prolific Michael Winner in which Charles Bronson takes a Browning Machine Gun to the street punks of Brooklyn.

A classic exploiter that continues to thrill.

easily my favourite of the series

MrBarlow 27th January 2021 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mutator. 1989.

A testing lab experiment goes wrong involving cats which creates havoc, Scientist turned security expert is called in to deal with the problem, a group of three activists including the lab director's daughter who goes against her father's work are locked in, can they all survive the night?

Another blind watch with a plot that is not new, a corporation creates a life form, escapes and goes on a killing spree, it's nice to see Brion James take the lead as the somewhat mercenary and a protagonist as he seemed to be in bad guy roles. There isn't much gore but make up effects are decent, it does take a while before we see the mutated offspring of the feline which I felt done the film justice instead of showing it at the beginning, not a big budget film but worth a watch.

Attachment 230897

gag 27th January 2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 644943)
It's definitely an absolute love it or hate it film, but I've always liked it, always found it creepy and scary and quite unique for it's time.
I'm sure there are plenty I just can't think of the now but there can't have been too many horror films where you actually see fu*k all in terms of the "bad guy"

Probably aware of this, but what they did was someone followed them and they weren't aware of this and did random things at night time when they were asleep so part of their fear was genuine.

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230906

On a busy New York subway four armed well organised men high jack a subway car with 17 hostages and demand a million dollars for their release. They give the city one hour to deliver the money or a hostage dies every minute after the hour. The thinking of the mayor and the city officials us votes if they save the hostages but also when the money is handed over no one expects them to be able to escape the tunnel so it should be a win win situation.

What a superb film this is its compelling and tense and that cast is fantastic but amongst the great cast the stand out for me is Robert Shaw he is so calm cool and collected the rest of his crew are all different with one trigger happy mad to kill anyone that breaths funny one is quite but on edge and the last is 100% sure is going to die which comes from a mixture of the heist and the flu he is suffering from. Everything just works here tension excitement and a scene that really took me by surprise which made Robert Shaws character even more badass which was pretty shocking. I felt that ending was really the cherry on top of a very delicious cake.

9/10

Thompson 28th January 2021 01:00 PM

Today, I watched most of You're Next. It's not bad. :)

John Matrix 28th January 2021 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 88 Films thread got me in the mood to re-visit an old slasher so I went for
https://horrornews.net/wp-content/up...d-Ciupka-5.jpg
Used to have this on DVD with the picture near to unwatchable. Managed to download what I presume is the blu ray rip and it looked really good.

Totally bang average slasher film apart from that belter of a scene on the frozen lake.

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 645037)
The 88 Films thread got me in the mood to re-visit an old slasher so I went for

Used to have this on DVD with the picture near to unwatchable. Managed to download what I presume is the blu ray rip and it looked really good.

Totally bang average slasher film apart from that belter of a scene on the frozen lake.

Best thing about this film is John Vernon other than that its not very enjoyable.

John Matrix 28th January 2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 645038)
Best thing about this film is John Vernon other than that its not very enjoyable.

Aye he's a right sleazy prick in it. It's certainly not one of the best.

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Matrix (Post 645039)
Aye he's a right sleazy prick in it. It's certainly not one of the best.

Always brings an element of class to a film :lol:

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 230916

Paul and his girlfriend Martha receive a strange and disturbing radio message of a man getting murdered. Martha is sure its a joke but Paul is adamant that they track the signal and investigate knowing the cops will never believe them. The couple end up at an old house with an other group where 25 years previous a family was slaughtered. When one of the friends is murdered the cops hunt the friends off the land but they are no believing the cops story that the grounds keeper was the one that killed their friend.

Right from the get go we are treated to some great kills and gore and the film continued down this glorious path the whole way through. There is a real mixed bag when it comes to the acting mostly is good but a couple of characters are terrible like Martha is so wooden and the graveyard caretaker was pretty hilariously bad going from pissed drunk to explaining the whole background of strange happenings going on at the old house like he never touched a drop of alcohol in his life :lol: I loves the number of conveniently placed murder weapons just thrown about the place there seems to be one to suit every occasion from garden sheers under a painters covers to a hammer is the mortuary not sure I'd want that guy working on any of my loved ones after they passed on :lol:

I will be returning to this many times in the future for sure.

7/10

Can anyone tell me what other film this soundtrack was used in i recognised it straight away.

Demoncrat 28th January 2021 08:40 PM

Have you seen a thing called either The Crawlers or Contamination 7 (1993) N?

Isn't something from Demons in it as well??

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 645044)
Have you seen a thing called either The Crawlers or Contamination 7 (1993) N?

Isn't something from Demons in it as well??

Thats the one D just watched the trailer and its in it cheers.

nicholasrope 28th January 2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 644927)
I'm the Leader of the Gang, perhaps?

Yep that'll be it, no idea what the Producers of Joker were thinking.

nicholasrope 28th January 2021 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Jackass The Movie

With stunts that could not be shown on TV, The Jacksass Gang appear in their 1st feature length theatrical release. Some really funny stunts which involve Johnny Knoxville Boxing Butterbean in a Department Store as well as blowing a Air Horn when Golfers are about to Tee Off. Also the looks on their faces when they realize what they have let themselves in for are priceless e.g. Johnny Knoxville reacting to the Riot Control Gun demonstration before he was about to be used on him and Ryan Dunn's face at the Women Kick Boxer, he was about to face was priceless.

I definitely like the stunts but not the gross out ones. Watching this gave me memories of watching the show in the 2000's, this is definitely the best of the 3 films. These guys were the pioneers of this particular genre.

Number 2, I didn't like because it featured too many gross out scenes but 3 was good.

Thank You For Smoking

Intelligent film in which Aaron Eckheart is the lobbyist for Tobacco Companies. His sarcastic wit shines through in a film that doesn't insult the viewer. This film has great performances all round especially from Eckheart and William H. Macy as the Politician who wants to put warning signs on Cigarettes.

MuckyFunster 28th January 2021 10:38 PM

What Films Have You Seen Recently?

1 Attachment(s)
“Friday the 13th part VI : Jason Lives”

Solid slasher movie! The beginning and the end are brilliant, and all the bits in the middle are great too. This one is a return to form after part V which I found disappointing. Definitely one of my favourites from the series.

Great end credit’s song too...

http://youtu.be/K-XAjEyrqOs

Attachment 230920

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 645052)
“Friday the 13th part VI : Jason Lives”

Solid slasher movie! The beginning and the end are brilliant, and all the bits in the middle are great too. This one is a return to form after part V which I found disappointing. Definitely one of my favourites from the series.

Great end credit’s song too...

http://youtu.be/K-XAjEyrqOs

Attachment 230920

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its my favourite of the lot.

Nordicdusk 28th January 2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 645050)
Jackass The Movie

With stunts that could not be shown on TV, The Jacksass Gang appear in their 1st feature length theatrical release. Some really funny stunts which involve Johnny Knoxville Boxing Butterbean in a Department Store as well as blowing a Air Horn when Golfers are about to Tee Off. Also the looks on their faces when they realize what they have let themselves in for are priceless e.g. Johnny Knoxville reacting to the Riot Control Gun demonstration before he was about to be used on him and Ryan Dunn's face at the Women Kick Boxer, he was about to face was priceless.

I definitely like the stunts but not the gross out ones. Watching this gave me memories of watching the show in the 2000's, this is definitely the best of the 3 films. These guys were the pioneers of this particular genre.

Number 2, I didn't like because it featured too many gross out scenes but 3 was good.

Thank You For Smoking

Intelligent film in which Aaron Eckheart is the lobbyist for Tobacco Companies. His sarcastic wit shines through in a film that doesn't insult the viewer. This film has great performances all round especially from Eckheart and William H. Macy as the Politician who wants to put warning signs on Cigarettes.

Never a fan of anything with shit or puking in jackass never saw the need for it all the other stuff was great.

iank 28th January 2021 10:58 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy. It was alright, I couldn't really get into it this time.

Demoncrat 29th January 2021 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 645045)
Thats the one D just watched the trailer and its in it cheers.

:)
Ah, the memory's not completely gone then ... phew :lol:

Nordicdusk 29th January 2021 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 645062)
:)
Ah, the memory's not completely gone then ... phew :lol:

Better memory than me i only saw the film a few months back :pound:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th January 2021 10:58 AM

THX 1138
Where one of the characters state...... ‘We’re all in this together....’ :eek: :suspicious:

Seventies sci fi season this week.......the classic WESTWORLD tonight.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 29th January 2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 645050)
Thank You For Smoking

A film I've sadly only seen once. From memory, I thought it was smart and funny. It also contains one of my favourite lines: "The great state of Vermont will not apologise for its cheese!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkbdb...nel=foxhomeent

trebor8273 29th January 2021 08:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpAhjOvQVj0

A highly enjoyable , well acted and stylish cops and robbers film. Only downside it maybe could of done with a little less of there domestic lives. 9/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHCAgSuLog4

The latest Batman animated feature, Bruce is approached by a pupil of his old martial arts master, a item has been stolen and he needs Bruce's help to retrieve it, they team up with the other pupils to stop a evil cult that wants too release a snake god on the world. Had a very 70s spy/ bond feel too it, but at times you thought what was the point of batman as he was second fiddle at times and seems to be the weakest of the group. 6.8/10

Now watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmngdUaQd8

MrBarlow 29th January 2021 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Black Room. 1982.

Larry is looking for some excitement outside his marriage rents a room in a mansion from a brother and sister who kill the females that come and harvest their blood.

This was a different take on the vampire genre movies, there is a creepy house, voyeuristic tendencies, naked men and woman, and no fangs just blood transfusion ways of having the blood of the females administered in to the body. Despite the low budget all the main leads do give out good strong performances pretty well, there isn't much of suspense or tension but good dark atmosphere. Sorry guys although Linnea Quigley is in this, her kit stays on...but she does wear some nice short shorts.

Attachment 230942

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th January 2021 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Devils of Darkness (1965)

The first British contemporary vampire movie, it's a pity that Devils of Darkness is so dull. It's overall tone is that of a classic Gothic horror as are the strong vampire and Occult elements on offer, yet the whole thing is just so forgetful.

Hubert Noel is a pitiful lead vampire, he has no presence whatsoever, whilst William Sylvester is a bland stiff upper lip hero type. The film looks good with nice cinematography and the coven sequences are okay but it's so devoid of atmosphere or suspense that it never becomes involving.

Having said all that i've now seen the film at least four times, it must be one of those that makes you want to love it and due to the fact it's instantly forgettable always seems worth another go.

nicholasrope 29th January 2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 645055)
Never a fan of anything with shit or puking in jackass never saw the need for it all the other stuff was great.

Completely agree, it's an instant forward on for me.

nicholasrope 29th January 2021 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 645104)
A film I've sadly only seen once. From memory, I thought it was smart and funny. It also contains one of my favourite lines: "The great state of Vermont will not apologise for its cheese!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkbdb...nel=foxhomeent

Yes, certainly a little gem of a film.

nicholasrope 29th January 2021 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 645173)

A highly enjoyable , well acted and stylish cops and robbers film. Only downside it maybe could of done with a little less of there domestic lives. 10/10

The latest Batman animated feature, Bruce is approached by a pupil of his old martial arts master, a item has been stolen and he needs Bruce's help to retrieve it, they team up with the other pupils to stop a evil cult that wants too release a snake god on the world. Had a very 70s spy/ bond feel too it, but at times you thought what was the point of batman as he was second fiddle at times and seems to be the weakest of the group. 6.8/10

Now watching

Yes, I agree with Heat, when it's a long film, a pet peeve of mine is where there are some boring scenes which could have been trimmed to make the film have a shorter running time.

nicholasrope 29th January 2021 09:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jackass The Movie 3

The gang are back and whilst a better film than 2, it's not a patch on the original film. How they avoided a serious injury on the tree cutting stunt is beyond me.

Striptease

Demi Moore is the single Mom who loses custody of her Daughter to her deadbeat Ex, so becomes a Stripper to help win back custody but she gets caught up in a murder/blackmail plot after gaining the attention of a sleazy and very randy Congressman played brilliantly by Burt Reynolds. Ving Rhames is also good as a Bouncer/friend who seems determined to rent out Free Willy and Robert Patrick co-stars.

As I was 15 at the time of Cinema release, I was quite delighted that this was given a 15 certificate as normally these type of films were usually an 18 during the mid 90's. Oh by the way, this was released in 1996, so this film is 25 years old. Anyway, I enjoyed it back then and it's still an entertaining film, the best scene was Reynolds's flabbergasted Aide who noticed that he was in a kinky Cowboy Outfit covered in Vaseline at a Christian Convention.

That was a sentence I thought, I'll never have written ever lol

A Serbian Film

A Porn Star comes out of retirement to make a mysterious film. Oh what to say about this one, I was disturbed (I think that this is this film's equivalent of enjoying the film) There are graphic scenes of sexual violence and 2 scenes where you can't actually tell friends of yours if they are easily shocked because of what they actually think.

I am absolutely amazed that this film got passed by the BBFC, I would have put good money on it getting banned.

Oh this film is 10 years old this yeah, boy I'm feeling old

gag 30th January 2021 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 645189)
Jackass The Movie 3

The gang are back and whilst a better film than 2, it's not a patch on the original film. How they avoided a serious injury on the tree cutting stunt is beyond me.

Striptease

Demi Moore is the single Mom who loses custody of her Daughter to her deadbeat Ex, so becomes a Stripper to help win back custody but she gets caught up in a murder/blackmail plot after gaining the attention of a sleazy and very randy Congressman played brilliantly by Burt Reynolds. Ving Rhames is also good as a Bouncer/friend who seems determined to rent out Free Willy and Robert Patrick co-stars.

As I was 15 at the time of Cinema release, I was quite delighted that this was given a 15 certificate as normally these type of films were usually an 18 during the mid 90's. Oh by the way, this was released in 1996, so this film is 25 years old. Anyway, I enjoyed it back then and it's still an entertaining film, the best scene was Reynolds's flabbergasted Aide who noticed that he was in a kinky Cowboy Outfit covered in Vaseline at a Christian Convention.

That was a sentence I thought, I'll never have written ever lol

A Serbian Film

A Porn Star comes out of retirement to make a mysterious film. Oh what to say about this one, I was disturbed (I think that this is this film's equivalent of enjoying the film) There are graphic scenes of sexual violence and 2 scenes where you can't actually tell friends of yours if they are easily shocked because of what they actually think.

I am absolutely amazed that this film got passed by the BBFC, I would have put good money on it getting banned.

Oh this film is 10 years old this yeah, boy I'm feeling old

I'm pretty sure Serbian film was banned in the UK before being released heavily cut 4min 11 seconds

Controversial movie A Serbian Film has become the most cut film in 16 years, the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) has said. The dark thriller, which features disturbing scenes of violence and sex, has had four minutes and 11 seconds of its original content removed

https://www.dvdcompare.net/compariso....php?fid=17580

United Kingdom- Revolver Entertainment - Yes, cuts totalling 4:11 were made to remove portrayals of children in a sexualised or abusive context and images of sexual and sexualised violence which have a tendency to eroticise or endorse the behaviour. (95:25 )

gag 30th January 2021 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 645173)

A highly enjoyable , well acted and stylish cops and robbers film. Only downside it maybe could of done with a little less of there domestic lives. 9/10

Now watching

Isn't heat a remake of L A Takedown?
With even the odd one or two scenes being identical or am I getting confused with another film?

trebor8273 30th January 2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 645191)
Isn't heat a remake of L A Takedown?
With even the odd one or two scenes being identical or am I getting confused with another film?

Just checked online it is

gag 30th January 2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 645194)
Just checked online it is

https://www.liquisearch.com

Thanks I thought so .

Dave Boy 30th January 2021 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 645182)
Devils of Darkness (1965)

I only watch this movie for Carol Gray. :nod:

Attachment 230947