Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Frankie Teardrop 28th June 2012 09:55 PM

MS CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - Great idea for a title, but does this American indie really live up to the two twisted namesakes in its Brundlepod? No, of course it doesn't. But it is mildly diverting and isn't entirely misleading in that it does feature some cannibalism and a woman who shoots people.
SHUTTLE - Watched expecting vaguely entertaining mediocrity. I was right, until it lurched from standard 'trapped in a small space with a bad man' dramatics into cruel 'kidnapped for international shoe fetishist' territory. Genuinely bleak and depressing conclusion - I thought so anyway, mainly because I wasn't expecting it.

antmumford 28th June 2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 253926)
SHUTTLE - Watched expecting vaguely entertaining mediocrity. I was right, until it lurched from standard 'trapped in a small space with a bad man' dramatics into cruel 'kidnapped for international shoe fetishist' territory. Genuinely bleak and depressing conclusion - I thought so anyway, mainly because I wasn't expecting it.

I agree, very bleak ending. I actually really liked this too, a lot better than I expected and getting it from Poundland was a bonus. Worth a look, whoever hasnt seen it yet.

Frankie Teardrop 28th June 2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 253928)
I agree, very bleak ending. I actually really liked this too, a lot better than I expected and getting it from Poundland was a bonus. Worth a look, whoever hasnt seen it yet.

Yeah, the swerve into desolation was kind of unexpected. And I felt my stomach sinking when the 'final girl' looked at that photograph at the end... felt like those last few minutes belonged to a different film. But I agree, the whole thing is worth a watch.

Gojirosan 28th June 2012 10:14 PM

I am now intrigued.

Frankie Teardrop 28th June 2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 253940)
I am now intrigued.

It's a better than average time filler in many ways, G. Competently made and ratchets up the tension, and throws in a few twisty bits plot wise whilst never being mind blowing... then, during the last half hour, a darker, sleazier mood sets in, leading to the ending already mentioned. It's probably not worth being massively intrigued by, but was better and different to what I'd envisioned.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th June 2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 253926)

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 253928)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 253940)
I am now intrigued.

Don't be its appalling Gojirosan.

Its one of those films where you'll be tearing your hair out.

The captives have, ooh, about 350 chances to overpower their captor played by Tony Curran, and fail to even remotely notice any of them. Thats in the opening half hour.

As for depressing, yup i was certainly depressed after it.

artisturn 29th June 2012 06:28 AM

Chopping Mall (1986)

Watched this via youtube , last time I saw this was on VHS.

Octopussy (1983)

Slippery Jack 29th June 2012 10:47 AM

Straight on till Morning

Wow, didn't expect something this unusual from Hammer :crazy: - it's like something from the bfi Flipside label (in fact, it reminded me a little of Nightbirds). It's a shame there were a few things that hampered my enjoyment. The obtuse editing I found quite annoying, seemed a bit Nic Roeg-lite, chopping around all over the place. The opening scenes were quite dull, and took a good while for any kind of plot to come into focus. That said, I found the central pairing of Tushingham and Briant really engaging, their creepy relationship made the film. I'm assuming the various Peter Pan references tied in to their naive, child-like manner - it worked for me anyway. Top ending too, with some genuinely disturbing sound design (dog lovers beware!) . . .

Gojirosan 29th June 2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 253977)
Straight on till Morning

Wow, didn't expect something this unusual from Hammer :crazy: - it's like something from the bfi Flipside label (in fact, it reminded me a little of Nightbirds). It's a shame there were a few things that hampered my enjoyment. The obtuse editing I found quite annoying, seemed a bit Nic Roeg-lite, chopping around all over the place. The opening scenes were quite dull, and took a good while for any kind of plot to come into focus. That said, I found the central pairing of Tushingham and Briant really engaging, their creepy relationship made the film. I'm assuming the various Peter Pan references tied in to their naive, child-like manner - it worked for me anyway. Top ending too, with some genuinely disturbing sound design (dog lovers beware!) . . .

I think I liked it a bit more than you, but I must agree about the over-stylised editing. It doesn't serve the film very well and you get the feeling they were just "trying it on for size" because of other New Wave type films around the time. "Nic Roeg-lite" is an excellent summary of that aspect!

Susan Foreman 29th June 2012 11:20 AM

Pervert

Strange film, to say the least!

Demdike@Cult Labs 29th June 2012 11:24 AM

Lord of Illusion.

Not seen this in years. I really enjoyed it again, a highly underrated film with good direction from Clive Barker.

I'd forgotten how good the imagery was in this, not quite in the Hellraiser mould but getting there.

Slippery Jack 29th June 2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 253983)
I think I liked it a bit more than you, but I must agree about the over-stylised editing. It doesn't serve the film very well and you get the feeling they were just "trying it on for size" because of other New Wave type films around the time. "Nic Roeg-lite" is an excellent summary of that aspect!

Ha, yes it was quite a bold experiment, which I appreciate - just a shame it didn't quite pay off. I think maybe I was expecting more Psycho/Peeping Tom style murder and mayhem from the Briant character (though poor Tinker's demise is quite a shocker!). I'll definitely revisit it at some point now I know what to expect. I'm going to have to find out where that street/house is that the main action takes place in. I'm sure I visited the same place (or at least a street VERY similar) recently for work . . .

James Morton 29th June 2012 02:42 PM

Luc Besson's LEON - extended version, briliant thriller
Jean-Pierre Jeunet's funny MICMACS

Gojirosan 29th June 2012 03:28 PM

Arachnoquake - 2012 USA TV d: Griff Furst

Last week's SyFy première monster flick. As usual, very good fun and made with a light tone and breezy pace. Nice New Orleans/swamp forest setting, cast are fine, fire breathing giant spider - genius!

Susan Foreman 29th June 2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 254044)
fire breathing giant spider

Why do film-makers make movies which no normal person would want to watch?

Pete 29th June 2012 03:50 PM

MANHUNT (1984) - An Italian action movie directed by Fabrizio De Angelis (hiding behind his 'Larry Ludman' alias). Set in Arizona, it stars John Wayne's son Ethan as a racehorse owner who is accused of stealing two horses by corrupt rancher Ernest Borgnine. He's sent to prison for two years but escapes in an attempt to clear his name and claim his horses back.

A decent, if unoriginal, action movie. De Angelis (who also shot the sadly disappointing THUNDER in Arizona) handles the action scenes very well, though some of the slow mo doesn't quite work, and it benefits from a great performance by Henry Silva, who seems to be having the time of his life as the nasty prison warden. The only real downside is Ethan Wayne (who also appeared in COBRA MISSION for De Angelis) who simply lacks the charisma needed for a leading role. He's not terrible but Daniel Greene (HANDS OF STEEL) or Miles O'Kefee (Mattei's DOUBLE TARGET) would have been better choices.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Gojirosan 29th June 2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 254047)
Why do film-makers make movies which no normal person would want to watch?

Thanks for the insult there.

Slippery Jack 29th June 2012 04:04 PM

I can't think of a single film that wouldn't be improved by the presence of a giant fire breathing spider :nod: . . .

Susan Foreman 29th June 2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 254055)
Thanks for the insult there.

I'm just saying that a normal spider is bad enough, but then they have to go and make it giant-sized. Where is the logic in that? And then as a topper, the sicko film-makers make this giant spider a fire breather!

Do the people who make these kinda movies not think about us poor viewers?

Gojirosan 29th June 2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 254060)
I'm just saying that a normal spider is bad enough, but then they have to go and make it giant-sized. Where is the logic in that? And then as a topper, the sicko film-makers make this giant spider a fire breather!

OH! now I get you! So sorry! I really misread your comment! I got really quite hurt and insulted!

I do apologise for misjudging you, ma'am. I probably need a lie down and some painkillers!

I'm blushing now! So sorry. :doh:

Slippery Jack 29th June 2012 04:14 PM

It's true. I watched The Devil Rides Out the other night, and couldn't help wincing when the giant spider appears :behindsofa:

(it didn't breath fire though. Sadly) . . .

Susan Foreman 29th June 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 254062)
It's true. I watched The Devil Rides Out the other night, and couldn't help wincing when the giant spider appears :behindsofa:

(it didn't breath fire though. Sadly) . . .

Exactly

I rest my case

Slippery Jack 29th June 2012 04:24 PM

Did anyone else watch Knightmare ?

Oh shiiiiiiiit

Frankie Teardrop 29th June 2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 254067)

Oh shiiiiiiiit

Three is the score, Granitass...
My Friday nights are looking better and better...

fuzzymctiger 29th June 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 254060)

I absolutely HATE spiders, so when I sat down to watch Urban Legends: Bloody Mary, I was in for one of the most horrible scenes ever. All I will say is that it involves spider eggs in a face.

keirarts 29th June 2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 254067)

Oh shiiiiiiiit

My favourite after school viewing (certainly the only thing that ever topped Count duckula for me!) I even still have the novelisation around somewhere, its not to bad and gives more details about the fictional background of the shows setting.

fuzzymctiger 29th June 2012 11:10 PM

The Raid: Absolutely Amazing. Quite possibly the best action movie ever.
Outpost 2: Great sequel. Really expands the plot.
Iron Sky: Absolutely hilarious. Very well written, and a lot better than I expected.
Dog Soldier: Really good werewolf movie with some great humor and characters, all made better by the accents
City Of The Living Dead: Absolutely Terrifying. Was not ready for this at all. Definantly one of the scariest things ive ever seen.
Death Proof: this is going on my favourite movies list. Amazing movie, with great characters, dialogue, and some awesome car sequences. Only problem is its a bit slow at times.

Nordicdusk 30th June 2012 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 70113

Just watching this at the moment.

Nordicdusk 30th June 2012 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 70260

Just a fun silly film good stuff.:)

DryJack 30th June 2012 11:20 AM

Got round to buying the Arrow BD of Day of the dead and watched it last night. I've seen this movie countless times but never have I enjoyed it so much. The picture quality was outstanding. Memorys of my old 4Front VHS version are well and truly buried.

Slippery Jack 30th June 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 254212)
My favourite after school viewing (certainly the only thing that ever topped Count duckula for me!).

I'm surprised they haven't brought it back - imagine all the cool stuff you could do with the special effects nowadays. I suppose it would get nixed by health & safety - "What?!! A kid walking around blindfolded? NEVER!!! The parents would sue us to hell if they slipped!" . . .

James Morton 30th June 2012 12:31 PM

TIMBER FALLS
THE X FILES

keirarts 30th June 2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 254283)
I'm surprised they haven't brought it back - imagine all the cool stuff you could do with the special effects nowadays. I suppose it would get nixed by health & safety - "What?!! A kid walking around blindfolded? NEVER!!! The parents would sue us to hell if they slipped!" . . .

They would probably ruin it in other ways, perhaps try and make it more 'right on' or ironic. I'm certainly considering picking up the origionals though.

Slippery Jack 30th June 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 254297)
I'm certainly considering picking up the origionals though.

I'm not. I'm keeping my childhood viewing as happy memories to avoid any 'hmmm, I remember it being better than this!' tarnishing . . .

Nordicdusk 30th June 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 254219)
Attachment 70113

Just watching this at the moment.

Just a quick edit cause i was watching this at the time i posted.

Its a great film really enjoyed it and was also my first viewing.

mercury 30th June 2012 02:36 PM

X men First Class:pop2:

Nordicdusk 30th June 2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 254322)
X men First Class:pop2:

What was it like i stayed away from it cause i taught it would be too teeny if you know what i mean. Am i missing out?

mercury 30th June 2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 254327)
What was it like i stayed away from it cause i taught it would be too teeny if you know what i mean. Am i missing out?

I thought the same as you, but I gave it a go and I quite enjoyed most of it. I'll be honest and say it is my least favourite of all the films in the series. But the main reason I enjoyed it was because I have always liked Magneto since I was young, so to see a much cooler magneto than Ian Mckellen's charachter was great:clap: Give it a go; what's the worst that can happen:)

Nordicdusk 30th June 2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 254344)
Give it a go; what's the worst that can happen:)

Yeah i dont know why i always fear the worst and not just give things ago.

re.form 30th June 2012 07:45 PM

Iron Sky. I'm amazed how such a funny premise in theory managed to be so unfunny in practice. Didn't laugh once. Even at Udo Kier. I dunno, the whole movie didn't work for me. I didn't have any expectations, so it's not that. The satire on American politics was really crappy. It wasn't even funny in a misjudged, childish way. Shame.

Finally got through all the extra's on the ROTLD steelbook. Great package. One of the best I've bought for a long time.

Re-watched Demons the other night (Arrow steelbook). Been years since I've seen it but won't be years until I watch it again. One of the best horror films of the 80's for me. So much fun. Looking forward to Demons 2 because it's one that I've never managed to see before.