Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 2nd July 2012 11:29 AM

The 28th Reich A rather spritely tale about time travel, metal nazi spiders and....well, isn't that enough?? Apparently part of a series ala the old serials etc, was ok in a ok kind of way.
As mates hadn't watched The Boxer's Omen, didn't give them Attack of the Herbals to enjoy. Their loss. Then they text me and say that because its R1, they can't watch it.....first time i've had to deal with that in a while!!:eek:

James Morton 2nd July 2012 11:49 AM

saw BROKEN on horror channel last night
not bad but seen many better low budget Brit horrors

Susan Foreman 2nd July 2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 254708)
metal nazi spiders

Blimey - why is everything about spiders nowadays?

Look - they have lots of legs and eyes. They are creepy and they can walk up walls

Spiders are NOT NICE - OK?

Gojirosan 2nd July 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 254727)

Spiders are amazing!

I heart spiders lots.

The slight frissons to be had from their otherness just makes them more wonderful.

Baseball Fury 2nd July 2012 12:41 PM

Watched a couple of remakes this weekend on blu-ray, Footloose and Fright Night.

Footloose sucked. And not just because it's a dance film, because I don't really mind the original! The main character was annoying (and looked like Lou Diamond Phillips crossed with a duck), the music was all either bad covers of the 80's tracks from the first one, or completely unremarkable MOR rock/hip-hop. Also, the kids danced all the way through it, which made the end pretty redundant.

Fright Night was better, but not a patch on the original. There was nowhere near enough Evil Ed, so I didn't even remotely give a shit about him or his broken friendship, there was a ton of just throwaway stuff in the script (why make a point that he collects trainers? It meant nothing at any point!), the CGI monster vampire bits were poop and the last 20 minutes or so were complete cheddar. Toni Collette was wasted, but Farrell and Tennant were excellent. Mintz-Plasse could've been AMAZING given more to work with, so that's a missed opportunity for sure.

Gojirosan 2nd July 2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 254734)
Fright Night was better, but not a patch on the original. There was nowhere near enough Evil Ed, so I didn't even remotely give a shit about him or his broken friendship, there was a ton of just throwaway stuff in the script (why make a point that he collects trainers? It meant nothing at any point!), the CGI monster vampire bits were poop and the last 20 minutes or so were complete cheddar. Toni Collette was wasted, but Farrell and Tennant were excellent. Mintz-Plasse could've been AMAZING given more to work with, so that's a missed opportunity for sure.

Interesting. I thought Mintz-Plasse was dreadfully miscast and ineffective in the part and wondered if they had shed more scenes of his for this reason? I think they were wise to keep Evil Ed to a minimum in the remake. I agree that more Toni Collette was needed, she was excellent in what little we saw of her.

Baseball Fury 2nd July 2012 02:47 PM

I like him as an actor, and I think he could've done a lot more with the role given more screen time. I think he comes across as miscast because the writing was so shit. I found it quite difficult to grasp where his anger and persistance was coming from, because there wasn't any real context behind it, so ultimately, when he gets turned then pops his clogs, I just didn't care at all.

Also, his fight was too reliant on stupid wire work and flying about doing flips and shit.

It makes me sound like I'm criticising it for not being along the lines of LTROI, but even for a popcorn film it was missing any sort of characterisation.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd July 2012 05:29 PM

Zombie Women of Satan (2010)

An excellent low budget British horror comedy. I had little in the way of hope for this and held off watching it as i thought it may be amateurish rubbish but was hugely surprised. It has excellent cinematography and a supremely witty script played to perfection by an excellent yet unknown cast. I actually laughed out loud several times. The dwarf taking a dump in the woods was side splitting, all down to the actors facial expressions whilst doing it.

The film features buckets of bloody mayhem with largely impressive gore effects which juxtapose nicely with the laughs. Zombie Women of Satan should sit well with all fans of The League of Gentlemen, in fact its far superior to the League's own film from a few years ago.

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 254727)
Blimey - why is everything about spiders nowadays?

Look - they have lots of legs and eyes. They are creepy and they can walk up walls

My Tarantula Reggie would strongly disagree.:tongue1:

Gojirosan 2nd July 2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 254792)
My Tarantula Reggie would strongly disagree.:tongue1:

PICS PLEASE!

Nordicdusk 2nd July 2012 06:10 PM

Hes camera shy so he may not smile now :)

Mike @ Digitalhorror 2nd July 2012 06:14 PM

Uncle Sam (1996)

I just got through watching William Lustig's Uncle Sam (1996). I also posted a review of it over at my blog. I'm sure many of you have seen it, what are your thoughts?

SharonLynette 2nd July 2012 09:46 PM

Another great day watching some fantastic films;

"Asylum" (1972) an old favourite
"Don't Torture a Duckling" (1972) as great as I expected it to be
"Rosemary's Killer" (1981) a very stylish slasher, of course Tom Savini was involved, it looked great but on top of that I just thought it was really great. Some things that annoy me about other slashers, or at least made me roll my eyes didn't occur.

Anyway now to fit in "The Night Caller" (1965) before bed.

Gojirosan 2nd July 2012 11:22 PM

The Pumaman - 1980 Italy d:Alberto de Martino

Whilst notorious as one of the worst films ever made, I found it very hard to see it as such. It is a mess, for sure with a terrible script and special effects awful even by the standards of the day, but the film is a pleasure to watch and exudes heart and fun. For me a truly bad film becomes a slog to get through and usually makes me angry. This did neither. It's all a load of silly, camp fun that perhaps needs to be viewed as if a young child. I have seen many far worse film experiences than this. A lot of the TV shows I remember enjoying when very young look a lot like this film when seen now.

Attack The Block - 2011 UK d: Joe Cornish

A revisit, this time on Blu-ray. One of the best British films of the last five or so years, in my book. Brilliantly written, superbly performed, paced beautifully, great action scene and really funny. Also deeper themes run throughout, expressed superbly. Unmissable. Bears up to repeated viewing.

The Thin Blue Line - 1988 USA d: Errol Morris.

A masterpiece of documentary film-making. A powerful investigation into a crime, expertly shown by a master documentarian. Got the case reopened and a man saved from Death Row. Says it all really.

PaulD 2nd July 2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 254880)
The Pumaman - 1980 Italy d:Alberto de Martino
Whilst notorious as one of the worst films ever made, I found it very hard to see it as such. It is a mess, for sure with a terrible script and special effects awful even by the standards of the day, but the film is a pleasure to watch and exudes heart and fun. For me a truly bad film becomes a slog to get through and usually makes me angry. This did neither. It's all a load of silly, camp fun that perhaps needs to be viewed as if a young child. I have seen many far worse film experiences than this. A lot of the TV shows I remember enjoying when very young look a lot like this film when seen now.

I've only ever seen the Mystery Science Theater version of this film but really enjoyed it for the same reasons you outlined. Would love a proper release

Pete 2nd July 2012 11:32 PM

PUMAMAN is tremendous fun. I could think of a hundred films which are worse. (and no, I'm not going to list them all!)

keirarts 3rd July 2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike @ Digitalhorror (Post 254795)
I just got through watching William Lustig's Uncle Sam (1996). I also posted a review of it over at my blog. I'm sure many of you have seen it, what are your thoughts?

I thought it was ok. It's not amazing, a bit heavy handed with its message and poorly paced in places, enough so that It took me out of the film, and certainly not my favourite Lustig movie either.

Deathdream does something similar but thats a much better film.

All said and done though, I've seen a lot worse as well and I didn't want to switch it off or start reading a book.

Roughale 3rd July 2012 12:50 PM

Cosmopolis yesterday and I hated it, I rarely or never have seen anything less interesting and boring than this piece of dung. Add to that horrible attempts at acting from Robert Pattinson... Wasted time - Cronenberg used to be one of my favourite directors, but he dropped deep with this crap...

SharonLynette 3rd July 2012 01:20 PM

I think I need to take a break as I'm starting to feel a bit paranoid in my own home, it doesn't help that I've been listening to Goblin a lot recently. My neck is sore from constantly checking over my shoulder. So time for a cool down period, some of the Dark Shadows TV series, Naked Gun, Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D., Leprechaun and Demons 2 are all planned for today.

ansaw 3rd July 2012 01:49 PM

The InnKeepers, very understated very much in the style of the directors House of the Devil. Really Liked It.

James Morton 3rd July 2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 254880)
Attack The Block - 2011 UK d: Joe Cornish

A revisit, this time on Blu-ray. One of the best British films of the last five or so years, in my book. Brilliantly written, superbly performed, paced beautifully, great action scene and really funny. Also deeper themes run throughout, expressed superbly. Unmissable. Bears up to repeated viewing.

I have to say ATTACK THE BLOCK is not funny at all and I wish I hadn't bought it even if it was cheap
Didn't like the character hoodies. esp the 'hero' who was a lowlife
its complete shit compared to the great HOT FUZZ

Slippery Jack 3rd July 2012 03:05 PM

Aw disagree completely, I reall enjoyed Attack the Block! Thought the chemistry between the kids worked well, and had a cool boys own adventure type feel - like an urban Goonies :lol: I don't think it was aiming to be an out and out comedy - a sci-fi actioner with comic touches I'd say :tongue1: (but then, I haven't seen Hot Fuzz, so maybe it's a valid comparison) . . .

Gojirosan 3rd July 2012 03:31 PM

Hot Fuzz was good, but I prefer Attack The Block. It feels more accomplished and varied. More going on.

The main character was meant to be lowlife as this sets up his growth and redemption as the film progresses. Kind of the point.

James Morton 3rd July 2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 254953)
Hot Fuzz was good, but I prefer Attack The Block. It feels more accomplished and varied. More going on.

The main character was meant to be lowlife as this sets up his growth and redemption as the film progresses. Kind of the point.

i know the point about the scum kid being a hero etc but it just wasn't funny
trashy film

Slippery Jack 3rd July 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 254957)
i know the point about the scum kid being a hero etc but it just wasn't funny
trashy film

1. I'm not sure we were meant to find the main kid's journey from scum to hero funny...?

2. Since when was trashy a bad thing :lol: ?

James Morton 3rd July 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 254958)
1. I'm not sure we were meant to find the main kid's journey from scum to hero funny...?

2. Since when was trashy a bad thing :lol: ?

:crazy::loco:

Nordicdusk 3rd July 2012 08:12 PM

Book of Eli Blu Ray arrived today.

This is a great film. The setting is great and the action is great also. Also anything that has Tom Waits in it no matter how short his time is in it is fine by me.It looks great on Blu Ray.

Baseball Fury 3rd July 2012 09:44 PM

Just got home from Spider-Man.

the film itself wasn't as good as 1 or 2, but this version of Spider-Man is much better. Cocky one-liners and a ton more fun, just like the comics/animated series.

Gojirosan 3rd July 2012 10:56 PM

Just in from the flicks...

Quatermass And The Pit - 1967 UK d: Roy Ward Baker

I swear this film gets better every time I view it. I am now thoroughly convinced that this actually is one of Hammer's greatest achievements. It is also one of the finest remakes/reworkings in cinema history.

I walked out of the cinema pondering if a commercial, mass appeal studio would make such an intelligent and brain requiring bit of SF/horror now, and couldn't even imagine it being tried in the UK.

I can't really find fault with it - except the special effects, but that is a low blow for anyone to go for - and was utterly engrossed. I even felt a chill go down my arms as the famous thing that happens at the end happened. An honest to goodness frisson!

The print was perhaps not quite as razor sharp as that for The Plague Of The Zombies (in which I could make out the different weaves of tweed each character was wearing!) but it did look pretty impressive - if a little pale, which I have now come to expect. There was some noticeable stereo mixing in the poltergeist activity scene in the excavation which was distracting and hinted at some unnecessary tinkering*, but for the most part it sounded fine too.

I have always liked this film a lot. Now I love this film. I have a whole new level of respect for it after tonight.

*I have no idea if it was actually stereo back in 1967, but the scene in question sounded very "artificial" and the rest of the film and music flat and focused with no obvious separation.

wonderlust 4th July 2012 01:02 AM

Mandragora
Wife Collector
Satan's Little Helper
Beyond The Black Rainbow

keirarts 4th July 2012 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=James Morton;254945]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan;254880
[B
Attack The Block[/B] - 2011 UK d: Joe Cornish

I have to say ATTACK THE BLOCK is not funny at all and I wish I hadn't bought it even if it was cheap
Didn't like the character hoodies. esp the 'hero' who was a lowlife
its complete shit compared to the great HOT FUZZ

Have to agree, and glad i'm not the only one totally underwhelmed by ATTACK THE BLOCK. Probably the most overhyped british film in a long while.

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 255141)

Have to agree, and glad i'm not the only one totally underwhelmed by ATTACK THE BLOCK. Probably the most overhyped british film in a long while.

Nah, that was The Kings Speech :nod: . . .

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 09:00 AM

The Sorcerers

Damn, Michael Reeves was good! Bloody frustrating to think how many more great films he could've gone on to make. So much confidence in the direction here, a 23 year old directing Boris Karloff :clap:

Just ordered the R1 of Revenge of the Blood Beast (She Beast), not seen it before . . .

Hawkmonger 4th July 2012 09:23 AM

Quatermass and the Pit: Gojirosen has already covered how I feel about this stunning feature.
It was a privelage to watch this at the cinema (especialy since I missed Plague of Zombies) for the first time since 1967 and it was a blast from begining to end. A classic.
I must get round to ordering the BD/ DVD double play from amazon.
Does anyone know if they still stock the copy's with slip covers?

keirarts 4th July 2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 255149)
Nah, that was The Kings Speech :nod: . . .

I avoided that one as it was obvious oscar bait. Still don't agree with the hype for Attack the block, the aliens looked like rejects from the god-awful hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy film and had me and my mate in stitches at how crap they looked, I guess I just don't find muppet's scary. Personally I'd rather see more british films like DEAD MAN'S SHOES.

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 03:24 PM

Ha, I thought the monsters were some of the better designed creatures I've seen in recent times. That mix of practical with CGI enhancement always works a treat, thought that rotoscoped 'true black' look to the fur was very cleverly achieved... and glow in the dark teeth was a mighty cool touch :cool: I loved em . . .

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Personally I'd rather see more british films like KILL LIST.
:nod: . . .

Baseball Fury 4th July 2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Personally I'd rather see more british films like LONDON TO BRIGHTON.
:D

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Personally I'd rather see more british films like THE BED SITTING ROOM.
:dance::pout::roll::rofl:

Slippery Jack 4th July 2012 04:19 PM

...actualy, no I wouldn't, it's one of a kind :nod: . . .