Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 16th March 2012 11:40 PM

Right now im watching the Running Man on Film Four. So much for an early night cant go to bed knowing that its on tv:). I just never ever get sick of watching this film. "Who Loves You and Who Do You Love":happy:

Scyther 17th March 2012 01:13 AM

The Beast In Heat. Was honestly expecting a little more from this one, but it was ok, I suppose. Really disjointed narrative, and the Beast is barely in it!

mercury 17th March 2012 12:35 PM

Frightmare(1974) Not too bad, and quite creepy at times:pop2:

James Morton 17th March 2012 02:08 PM

saw THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT remake on tv last night
better than the original imo

DaveJ.W 17th March 2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 224623)

It is better as the original is well dated. But it is still an important film though.

Stuck (2007)

*** out of ****

James Morton 17th March 2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler (Post 224643)
It is better as the original is well dated. But it is still an important film though.

Stuck (2007)

*** out of ****

I would give Stuart Gordon's STUCK **** out of ****
one of his best films, excellent thriller

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 224648)
I would give Stuart Gordon's STUCK **** out of ****
one of his best films, excellent thriller

Totally agree.

Prince_Vajda 17th March 2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 224623)

:nono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler (Post 224643)

I disagree. The movie is exactly 40 years old, but it's still a very intense and well-made film, with an excellent performance of the late David Hess. Only House on the Edge of the Park can outdo this flick in terms of terror and malice. :coolblue:

Greetings!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 224659)

I disagree. The movie is exactly 40 years old, but it's still a very intense and well-made film, with an excellent performance of the late David Hess. Only House on the Edge of the Park can outdo this flick in terms of terror and malice. :coolblue:

Greetings!

I prefer Hitch Hke to all of em'. :)

James Morton 17th March 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 224659)

Greetings!

I honestly think Craven's original was overrated
when I first saw the uncut dvd years ago I was disappointed and imo its dated since
the remake was better and of course made for the MTV crowd a la DAWN OF THE DEAD remake etc
I read the remakes rape scene had people walking out of the cinemas!
what were thet expecting...a family film?? There are many more films which have a far more disturbing scenes of rape shown
having said that about the LHOTL remake I wouldn't necessarily buy it

Prince_Vajda 17th March 2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 224670)
I prefer Hitch Hke to all of em'. :)

Hitch-Hike's a good film, but I'm not a fan of Corinne Clery, and Franco Nero was more convincing in Django. :nod:

Greetings!

Pete 17th March 2012 06:35 PM

SEED OF CHUCKY - Had this on dvd for AGES but never watched until last night and I found it really enjoyable and Jennifer Tilly is gorgeous.

Also made to watch the latest TWILIGHT by niece and, as with the others, it was utter shit.

Nordicdusk 17th March 2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 224671)
I honestly think Craven's original was overrated
when I first saw the uncut dvd years ago I was disappointed and imo its dated since
the remake was better and of course made for the MTV crowd a la DAWN OF THE DEAD remake etc
I read the remakes rape scene had people walking out of the cinemas!
what were thet expecting...a family film?? There are many more films which have a far more disturbing scenes of rape shown
having said that about the LHOTL remake I wouldn't necessarily buy it

The rape scene in the original had such a realistic impact that i think holds up well even now in the way of making me feel uncomfortable. The actresses in that film had a real feeling of fear while making the film which translates so well on screen.

Stephen@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 224674)
Also made to watch the latest TWILIGHT by niece and, as with the others, it was utter shit.

Niece..... Yeah right! You watched it on your own Pete.

wongfeihung62 17th March 2012 07:29 PM

GAMERA THE BRAVE and GODZILLA VS MEGAGUIRAS.

Hawkmonger 17th March 2012 08:59 PM

Insidius. Now I remember why I never finished this film first time round. Every second something threatens to make me soil myself! Great film.

wongfeihung62 17th March 2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 224700)
Insidius. Now I remember why I never finished this film first time round. Every second something threatens to make me soil myself! Great film.

Still haven't watched my copy yet.

Make Them Die Slowly 17th March 2012 09:53 PM

RED STATE. I enjoyed this a lot though I could have done without the comedy ending which frankly ruined it for me.

CHANBARA STRIPTEASE. Bleeding dreadful, however it does have a woman blocking a sword blade with her naked breasts and firing a sword from her cleavage, other than that, utter tosh.

HELLSING. Okayish anime about the British Government's fight against vampires.

PIRANHA 3D. Having not enjoyed this first time watching it, I thought I'd give it another go. Fun and undemanding.

CARNIVAL OF BLOOD. Like some hellish cross between H.G. Lewis and Andy Milligan with a few female escapees from an early John Water's film. This both irritated the shit out of me and hypnotised me with it's incessant scenes of talking that by the end, my mind most certainly wasn't in the same place as it was at the beginning. Nice fuzzed up psyche soundtrack with the odd forlorn folk song chucked in for good measure.

keirarts 17th March 2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 224675)
The rape scene in the original had such a realistic impact that i think holds up well even now in the way of making me feel uncomfortable. The actresses in that film had a real feeling of fear while making the film which translates so well on screen.

I hated the last house on the left remake, not because it was a remake of the craven movie but like nightmare on elm street it was simply p*ss poor filmmaking.

Last house has certainly dated, basically its a nam movie with the central message that violence is bad in every form, even revenge. I think its brought low by the comic relief keystone cops stuff which is totally misjudged.

The remake was certainly a lot more technically proficient, it just had absolutely nothing to say and the final scene (with the microwave)felt like an afterthought and seemed to change the message to "hey violence can be ok and not at all dehumanising if the people deserve it!"

Honestly, watching the remake I felt nothing at all, its just an empty clean, sterile piece of commercial film making with nothing to say and nowhere to go. Totally soulless.

I will uspet a few people here and say I enjoyed the I spit on your grave remake though!

Demdike@Cult Labs 17th March 2012 10:27 PM

Just watched a modern classic again. - The Firm.

People are going to berate me (maybe) but Tom Cruise really doesn't make bad films.

nekromantik 18th March 2012 01:20 AM

Just rewatched Kidnapped!

Still a awesome movie! Love it!

Nordicdusk 18th March 2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 224708)
Just watched a modern classic again. - The Firm.

People are going to berate me (maybe) but Tom Cruise really doesn't make bad films.

Most of Tom Cruises films are great. I dont care what he believes in his personal life and thats the reason people hate him theses days. I actually only watched him on Inside the Actors Studio on Youtube earlier seems like a really well grounded nice guy. Its only when you list all his movies that you remember how many greats he has made.

Pete 18th March 2012 01:39 AM

I don't hate Tom Cruise because of what he believes/does in his personal life, I hate him becasuse he's a nob. And almost every film he's made is crap imo.

He is good in BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY though, I'll give him that.

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th March 2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 224719)
I don't hate Tom Cruise because of what he believes/does in his personal life, I hate him becasuse he's a nob. And almost every film he's made is crap imo.

And you're entitled to that opinion......however wrong it is. :D

Prince_Vajda 18th March 2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

'Hate' is a very momentous word - one should rarely use it. :coolblue:

However, I'm not a fan of Cruise either. His personal positions are really questionable, and his acting skills are pretty poor, too.

Quote:

And almost every film he's made is crap imo.

Correct. :nod:

That's a pretentious and pretty dim film about a hypocrite. :tsk: :fear:

Greetings!

Handyman Joe 18th March 2012 07:52 AM

Mimic - Well, it's certainly more of a Del Toro movie now, although I'm not so sure that's a good thing in this case. For all the wee mans talents - and I'm a huge fan - he can't direct thrillers. This is stuffed full of laboured exposition, clumsy plotting and duff dialogue. Quirky characters (who appear to have been transferred directly from his earlier movies) seem shoehorned in. The movie just doesn't flow like a good thriller should - it feels choppy and sluggish. Having said all that he's still a visual genius and there's plenty of great images and ideas to keep you entertained. The main pitch of an insect pretending to be a human is a beauty and these scenes are creepy enough - wish the rest had been as good.

Pete 18th March 2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 224723)
'Hate' is a very momentous word - one should rarely use it. :coolblue:

However, I'm not a fan of Cruise either. His personal positions are really questionable, and his acting skills are pretty poor, too.

Correct. :nod:

That's a pretentious and pretty dim film about a hypocrite. :tsk: :fear:

Greetings!

I'll use whatever words I like, thanks ;)

His personal positions are not the main reason I hate him but I think the're just plain stupid( imo) but let's not get in to that.

Nordicdusk 18th March 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 224743)
I'll use whatever words I like, thanks ;)

His personal positions are not the main reason I hate him but I think the're just plain stupid( imo) but let's not get in to that.

What about the timeless classic that is LEGEND :tongue1: :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th March 2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 224743)

A wise decision and one probably best left to Matt Stone and Trey Parker!

James Morton 18th March 2012 02:09 PM

I will uspet a few people here and say I enjoyed the I spit on your grave remake though![/QUOTE]

you are right about the ISOYG remake
it was a very good remake

James Morton 18th March 2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 224707)
I hated the last house on the left remake, not because it was a remake of the craven movie but like nightmare on elm street it was simply p*ss poor filmmaking.

Last house has certainly dated, basically its a nam movie with the central message that violence is bad in every form, even revenge. I think its brought low by the comic relief keystone cops stuff which is totally misjudged.

The remake was certainly a lot more technically proficient, it just had absolutely nothing to say and the final scene (with the microwave)felt like an afterthought and seemed to change the message to "hey violence can be ok and not at all dehumanising if the people deserve it!"

Honestly, watching the remake I felt nothing at all, its just an empty clean, sterile piece of commercial film making with nothing to say and nowhere to go. Totally soulless.

I will uspet a few people here and say I enjoyed the I spit on your grave remake though!

you are right about the ISOYG remake
its a very good remake

Gojirosan 18th March 2012 02:19 PM

Tom Cruise has made a handful of decent films, for sure. Even been good in a couple.

Most of his output has been dire though - especially in the 80s and 90s.

James Morton 18th March 2012 02:45 PM

all credit to Cruise in some of his fims but he's made crap
DAYS OF THUNDER, TOP GUN, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2/3/, LAST SAMURAI, etc
but I find him an arrogant git when he talks about his beloved cult Scientology

its a business, an actor who was asked to join, they said 'How much have you got in your bank account?' he left and its something the cultists don't like you doing....
they are against medication and are completely loony
only a science fiction writer like its creator L. Ron Hubbard can think of a mad mad story involving aliens and exploding atom bombs millions of years ago,
well read the internet!
completely mad

keirarts 18th March 2012 03:37 PM

No love for magnolia here then?

Gojirosan 18th March 2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 224782)
No love for magnolia here then?

Definitely one of Cruise's finer moments, and it is a good film, but pretty bloated, overblown and unfocused with it. IMO.

keirarts 18th March 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 224783)
Definitely one of Cruise's finer moments, and it is a good film, but pretty bloated, overblown and unfocused with it. IMO.

I'm quietly judging you. ;)

James Morton 18th March 2012 04:14 PM

ILSA - SHE WOLF OF THE SS
one of the best 70's exploitation films

Scyther 18th March 2012 04:21 PM

The Beast. Hoooooboy, was this one gross. Bless Sirpa Lane, though! :)

Gojirosan 18th March 2012 04:36 PM

Watched Ip Man last night. We all know that's ace though, don't we? So I needn't go into it!

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th March 2012 06:12 PM

I watched Ilsa Fraulein SS last night from the Nazi Cult Collection.

I was stunned by the crisp picture quality, i thought the films in this set were supposed to be in bad shape.