Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 13th March 2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 223863)
Don't forget 'Little Nicky' and super powered Nadine - thing is Lynch totally realised the show had become infested with crummy subplots, hence blowing them all to smithereens in the last episode and of course FWWM which ignored them altogether.

As all good prequels (?? this one at least) should :lol:

Gojirosan 13th March 2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 223859)
Indeed, still beats Lost hands down IMO.;)

What doesn't?!

James Morton 13th March 2012 04:04 PM

Darren Ward's A DAY OF VIOLENCE - very good Brit gangster film
much better than Guy Richie's films anyday
A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE - excellent thriller from Cronenberg

Pete 13th March 2012 05:10 PM

POPCORN - Decent little horror which is a nice tribute to old b-movies from the 50's. Worth a look.

I watched it via the UK dvd which looks a little dull but is acceptable overall.

Nordicdusk 13th March 2012 06:11 PM

Dont Go in the House : Really good film love the main character he plays it very well between sanity and insanity.

He Knows YOU'RE Alone : Very influenced by Halloween even the music sounds just like the main Halloween theme music. The story follows a bride to be who is being stalked by a crazed killer. Also a very young Tom Hanks is in the film for a while.

damek 13th March 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 223913)
Dont Go in the House : Really good film love the main character he plays it very well between sanity and insanity.

He Knows Your Alone : Very influenced by Halloween even the music sounds just like the main Halloween theme music. The story follows a bride to be who is being stalked by a crazed killer. Also a very young Tom Hanks is in the film for a while.

Your? Lmfao. :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th March 2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 223929)

Hilarious

Nordicdusk 13th March 2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 223929)

What?

damek 13th March 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 223932)
What?

Well, I'm used to seeing shit like that in 'normal' writings. But in titles? Made me laugh.

Nordicdusk 13th March 2012 07:32 PM

Rather than add something you rather come on here just to take the piss is it.

keirarts 13th March 2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 223841)
The Sinking of Japan - impressive SF disaster flick about Japan being sucked below the Pacific tectonic plate. Much better than Hollywood eco-disaster efforts, with more human warmth and genuine tension throughout. Sullied, however by THE most awful, mawkish, pop ballad which appears a couple of times during the film. Otherwise, great stuff.

Shark Attack 3 - Megalodon - well, I am not sure what to say about this. It's cheap, badly acted, has extremely clunky use of stock footage (in one scene the shark changes species about three times as it approaches a boat) and has no technical skill to redeem it. But on the other hand, it's funny, the script is knowing and amusing, the story rattles along great, the characters are wonderful and by the end of the film I had thoroughly enjoyed myself and was glad I had purchased the film. So, is it bad? It raises the issue of what is bad, once again. This is inept, yes, but I can't call it bad, because I loved it and never once questioned what I as doing watching it. Excellent entertainment.

if you liked the world sinks except japan, check out executive koala, monster x attacks the g8 summit, calamari wrestler.... director minoru kawasaki is amazing!

Scyther 14th March 2012 12:03 AM

Car was at the mechanic, so spent the day at my parents' house watching films On Demand: Slaughter with Jim Brown and the delectable Stella Stevens, Enemy Mine Futureworld (Fonda and Blythe Danner) and The Serpent and The Rainbow

Then came home and finished Gestapo's Last Orgy. What a grim film!

keirarts 14th March 2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 223967)
if you liked the world sinks except japan, check out executive koala, monster x attacks the g8 summit, calamari wrestler.... director minoru kawasaki is amazing!

:doh:

it was sinking of japan wasn't it. Deary me my brains still scrambled from the weekend, sorry!

Still those reccomendations stand.

Baseball Fury 14th March 2012 06:57 AM

http://nikonites.com/attachments/off...lling-nazi.jpg

mercury 14th March 2012 10:22 AM

The Awakening(Charlton Heston)

dream demon 14th March 2012 10:59 AM

Watched Inseminoid last night. At first it did come across as a bit cheesy, but by the last third it got really good, and it has some of the best closing titles I have ever seen. Such a great idea!

DaveJ.W 14th March 2012 11:08 AM

Stepfather II (1989)

*** out of ****

marvinnashsear 14th March 2012 05:17 PM

Mary - I am not sure anyone does existential angst and intense spiritual crisis as well as Abel Ferrara. This superb drama covers similar ground to Bad Lieutenant (indeed, specifically quotes from it) yet within an entirely different milieu. An amazing cast is headed by Juliette Binoche (who I have never really rated before) and Forest Whitaker (who I rate highly, however, this is the greatest he has ever been). I don't know how Ferrara does what he does to get great actors to give even greater performances, but what he did with Kietel in Bad Lieutenant he does with Whitaker here. Astounding stuff.[/QUOTE]

What is the best version of Mary to get, extras wise and PQ? I've been wanting to see this for years as Ferrara is my favourite director but never got around to getting a dvd copy and missed it's one showing at the GFT.

Gojirosan 14th March 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvinnashsear (Post 224046)
What is the best version of Mary to get, extras wise and PQ? I've been wanting to see this for years as Ferrara is my favourite director but never got around to getting a dvd copy and missed it's one showing at the GFT.

I just got the German DVD as it was relatively affordable. No extras, but good quality. Been waiting to see it so long I just bought the one I could afford! Paid around a tenner for it.

Edit: this is the version I got, but I didn't pay that much: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARY-Julie...item5886c7256b

To be honest though, if you like Ferrara, it is an essential purchase at almost any price!

marvinnashsear 14th March 2012 05:47 PM

Cheers, Gojirosan. Will have a look about for a copy. I do like that German cover compared to the Polish release.

wongfeihung62 14th March 2012 06:28 PM

GODZILLA VS THE THING - ON COMMENTARY - US VERSION OF MOTHRA VS GODZILLA (1964)

GHIDORAH THE THREE HEADED MONSTER - ON COMMENTARY - US VERSION.

GODZILLA & MOTHRA- THE BATTLE FOR EARTH - JAPANESE LANG, NO ENGLISH SUBS

it'smebilly 14th March 2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handyman Joe (Post 223863)
Don't forget 'Little Nicky' and super powered Nadine - thing is Lynch totally realised the show had become infested with crummy subplots, hence blowing them all to smithereens in the last episode and of course FWWM which ignored them altogether.

Totally 100 % agree with this. That final episode is testament to Lynch's fantastic film making abilities, the fact that he managed, through the course of a single episode to re capture that same unique tone of the first series, after those last few terrible episodes is a near miracle. Though I think the episodes right up to and including Maddie's murder are as good as anything in the first series as well.

keirarts 14th March 2012 09:36 PM

Watched EVIDENCE.

Well, I've found myself getting more and more irritated by the found footage phenomenon but gave this a shot nontheless, mainly because I heard it had something to do with bigfoot and i'm a sucker for any bigfoot movies per se. Its not really a bigfoot movie per se, it starts off like one and feels like its going to be one until near the final third where it morphs into some kind of zombie survival horror. Not bad as they go and reasonably entertaining for what it was.

Frankie Teardrop 15th March 2012 02:39 AM

HELLGATE - Wow, total desecration of taste, sense and meaning - it's amazing! Can't believe it's taken so long for me to catch up with one. I would try to summarise what happens in this twitching wreck of a movie but really couldn't bear to relive the trauma - suffice to say, if you harbour a special place in your heart for the likes of 'Skullduggery', 'The Last Slumber Party' and 'A Night to Dismember' and prefer films to make no sense at all, then here is another port of call along your highly dubious cine-travel route. All others will find a boring, disconnected pile of dreck where a movie should be - but remember, sometimes it's more important for a human statement to make a stand against all known values rather than align itself with the spoonfed hordes of the good, the enjoyable and the entertaining. 'Hellgate' makes such a stand. I'm going to stand alongside it until someone forces me to watch that Lars Von Trier flick about the world ending or something (spot the sincerity).

keirarts 15th March 2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 224158)
HELLGATE - Wow, total desecration of taste, sense and meaning - it's amazing! Can't believe it's taken so long for me to catch up with one. I would try to summarise what happens in this twitching wreck of a movie but really couldn't bear to relive the trauma - suffice to say, if you harbour a special place in your heart for the likes of 'Skullduggery', 'The Last Slumber Party' and 'A Night to Dismember' and prefer films to make no sense at all, then here is another port of call along your highly dubious cine-travel route. All others will find a boring, disconnected pile of dreck where a movie should be - but remember, sometimes it's more important for a human statement to make a stand against all known values rather than align itself with the spoonfed hordes of the good, the enjoyable and the entertaining. 'Hellgate' makes such a stand. I'm going to stand alongside it until someone forces me to watch that Lars Von Trier flick about the world ending or something (spot the sincerity).

hellgate is always featured in any worst movies list I make! First came across it after buying it on vhs from a car boot many years ago. The promise of a movie from 'the people who brought you hellraiser' sounded too good to turn down. Tragically it turned out to be a pile of crap :mmph:

Worst thing is, I OWN IT ON DVD! Yes indeedy, I went through a phase of buying every anchor bay double bill going (lovely matching black spines) and it came double-billed with an excellent and unfairly neglected little movie called THE PIT. That one IS worth seeing.

mercury 15th March 2012 09:38 AM

The Mechanic(Charles Bronson):pop2:

dream demon 15th March 2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 224130)
Watched EVIDENCE.

Well, I've found myself getting more and more irritated by the found footage phenomenon but gave this a shot nontheless, mainly because I heard it had something to do with bigfoot and i'm a sucker for any bigfoot movies per se. Its not really a bigfoot movie per se, it starts off like one and feels like its going to be one until near the final third where it morphs into some kind of zombie survival horror. Not bad as they go and reasonably entertaining for what it was.

I'll add that one to my Amazon wish list. :) I agree with you about the whole 'found footage' thing, though. Blair Witch I hated when it was new, and thought The Last Broadcast was interesting but dull, although I have been tempted to give it another go lately. It was the brilliant Rec films that really proved to me that there was still life in the old dog yet, and I even enjoyed Quarantine for what it was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 224158)

I've got the ABUK DVD of this in my metaphorical too watch pile. May have to make an extra effort to watch it ... :pop2:

Watched The House Of The Devil last night. Brilliant, intelligent, horror with some great performances.

Prince_Vajda 15th March 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 224173)
The Mechanic(Charles Bronson):pop2:

Among Bronson's very best films. I love the ending! :nod:

Greetings!

Make Them Die Slowly 15th March 2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 224167)
hellgate is always featured in any worst movies list I make! First came across it after buying it on vhs from a car boot many years ago. The promise of a movie from 'the people who brought you hellraiser' sounded too good to turn down. Tragically it turned out to be a pile of crap :mmph:

Worst thing is, I OWN IT ON DVD! Yes indeedy, I went through a phase of buying every anchor bay double bill going (lovely matching black spines) and it came double-billed with an excellent and unfairly neglected little movie called THE PIT. That one IS worth seeing.

"The Pit" is f*cking great, and needs to be seen by all.

keirarts 15th March 2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 224228)
"The Pit" is f*cking great, and needs to be seen by all.

100% agree, its a real gem of a movie, rarely do I come across someone who's actually seen it though!

Make Them Die Slowly 15th March 2012 09:55 PM

This review made me buy it.;)Amazon.co.uk: Pit & Hellgate [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]: Sammy Snyders, Jeannie Elias, Sonja Smits, Laura Hollingsworth, John Auten, Laura Press, Paul Grisham, Wendy Schmidt, Andrea Swartz, Edith Bedker, Lillian Graham, Richard Alden, Lew Le

keirarts 15th March 2012 10:04 PM

quite a while since I wrote that one!

Looking at the price and i'm quite shocked, it was only a fiver when I got it!

Back to topic, just watched tim and erics billion dollar movie....

Excatly how to describe this....

Well its the weidest f****g comedy i've seen in a while, rather funny and one to look out for! Especially for RAY WISE (leyland palmer) the word shrim will haunt your dreams. Lots of bad tast humour made purposley to freak the audience out and make them very uncomfortable. I guarentee an 18 certificate when it comes out here!

Nordicdusk 15th March 2012 10:12 PM

Took in some great Eddie Murphy comedy today watched Trading Places and Coming to American. Eddie Murphy at his best. I also watched his stand up Delirious its so funny. My fave part is his Mr T bit. Contains strong language .

Eddie Mr T - YouTube

nekromantik 16th March 2012 09:25 AM

Watched El Mar last night, from the director of In a Glass Cage.
Pretty dark movie about 2 friends and a girl that have their childhood taken from them.
Thats only part of the movie but I would rather you watch then me tell you. :lol:

Demoncrat 16th March 2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 224262)
quite a while since I wrote that one!

Looking at the price and i'm quite shocked, it was only a fiver when I got it!

Back to topic, just watched tim and erics billion dollar movie....

Excatly how to describe this....

Well its the weidest f****g comedy i've seen in a while, rather funny and one to look out for! Especially for RAY WISE (leyland palmer) the word shrim will haunt your dreams. Lots of bad tast humour made purposley to freak the audience out and make them very uncomfortable. I guarentee an 18 certificate when it comes out here!

Yup T&E are VERY twisted indeed, have you seen their, frankly deranged, tv series... Tim & Eric's Awesome Show??? heres a taster....

Tim and Eric: "All The Food is Poison" (Awesome Show) - YouTube

the stuff at the side will give you a fair idea just how odd they are

keirarts 16th March 2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 224315)
Yup T&E are VERY twisted indeed, have you seen their, frankly deranged, tv series... Tim & Eric's Awesome Show??? heres a taster....

Tim and Eric: "All The Food is Poison" (Awesome Show) - YouTube

the stuff at the side will give you a fair idea just how odd they are

this ones my personal favourite, I defy anyone not to laugh at this one!

Will Ferrell: Original Child Clown Outlet: Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! - YouTube

Make Them Die Slowly 16th March 2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 224312)
Watched El Mar last night, from the director of In a Glass Cage.
Pretty dark movie about 2 friends and a girl that have their childhood taken from them.
Thats only part of the movie but I would rather you watch then me tell you. :lol:

An excellent film indeed.

nekromantik 16th March 2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 224426)
An excellent film indeed.

sucks the UK release is OOP. Cant make myself pay nearly £20 for it!

Make Them Die Slowly 16th March 2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 224427)
sucks the UK release is OOP. Cant make myself pay nearly £20 for it!

I didn't know that. I got it in HMV a few years ago as a blind buy after watching "In A Glass Cage".

nekromantik 16th March 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 224428)
I didn't know that. I got it in HMV a few years ago as a blind buy after watching "In A Glass Cage".

Yeah its £18 plus shipping on amazon and play have it for £50!