Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 30th November 2019 08:57 PM

Arrrgh! My The Girl Next Door is the R print. 91 mins.
It's been a while, isn't it meant to be longer? D'oh etc
:behindsofa:

gag 30th November 2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616305)
Arrrgh! My The Girl Next Door is the R print. 91 mins.
It's been a while, isn't it meant to be longer? D'oh etc
:behindsofa:

Googled it on DVD rewind there is 2 films called girl next door .

If yours is this then it states its 91min.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Girl Next Door (The) AKA Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door (2007)

Judging the pic at side for a link to buy the film I presume this one isn't yours.

Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - Girl Next Door (The) (2004)

Which has 3 dif times

100min
105min
109min

Demoncrat 30th November 2019 10:50 PM

Cheers gag. There was a massive bit missing from it (from memory ...), so put Get Carter on instead :lol:

gag 30th November 2019 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616313)
Cheers gag. There was a massive bit missing from it (from memory ...), so put Get Carter on instead :lol:

Never seen it so wouldn't know :lol:.
And if yours the 91min version then there nothing about it on movie censorship.

Demoncrat 30th November 2019 11:03 PM

I will say it's an antidote to anything festive :lol:
Like Mordum ;)

Susan Foreman 1st December 2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616304)
The Supergrass

The Comic Strip film.
A hopeless case bites off mair than he can chew when he pretends to be a smuggler. Filled with most of the regulars, Mayall being the missing link cough.
Still patchy after all these years, as if Richardson was torn betwixt making a 'straight' thriller and a 'funny' movie?? It still has its moments, Sayle's overeager traffic cop being one. Coltrane a hoot as a rather brusque :laugh: nutter being another.

If that is the version from 'The Comic Strip Presents...' box set, it's the American video-version, which is about eight minutes shorter than the original UK cinema release

gag 1st December 2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616315)
I will say it's an antidote to anything festive :lol:
Like Mordum ;)

I saw one of the trilogy years ago not sure which one, each to their own but likes of AU trilogy, Grotesque and Guinea pigs series old and new have no appeal to me and not my scene.

Deadite 1st December 2019 10:17 AM

Tomb Raider, the remake. Forgotten most of it already. OK time-waster as I can't remember it lagging at all, but purely popcorn stuff. Oddly enough, Nick Frost made the biggest impression on me and he was only in it for 5 minutes at the beginning and end of the film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
White of the Eye (1987)

Aside from a fairly brutal scene where the killer bounces a woman on her head to knock her out then binds her and drowns her in the bath, Donald Cammell's thriller is instantly forgettable.

The narrative seemingly passes by in a blur of pointless lingering shots of scrub land hillsides, dusty deserts, rocks, side streets and power lines in what comes across as self indulgence for self indulgence stakes, unless Cammell tried to make his film as 'arty' as possible. In which case he failed. Oh and just a thought. Just because Cammell filmed a small fish flopping about instead of showing knife slashes to a victim does not make this some sort of clever giallo.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Caprice (1967)

Industrial espionage cosmetics style meets James Bong action in this outlandish caper starring Doris Day and Richard Harris.

The plot is convoluted and practically irrelevant and the film gets by on action escapades and sixties chic alone. The sight of Day skiing down a Swiss mountainside whilst being shot at by a sniper only to career over the edge of a cliff and get rescued mid air by Harris in a helicopter is pure Roger Moore 007 and not easily forgotten.

Mojo 1st December 2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 616324)
White of the Eye (1987)

Aside from a fairly brutal scene where the killer bounces a woman on her head to knock her out then binds her and drowns her in the bath, Donald Cammell's thriller is instantly forgettable.

The narrative seemingly passes by in a blur of pointless lingering shots of scrub land hillsides, dusty deserts, rocks, side streets and power lines in what comes across as self indulgence for self indulgence stakes, unless Cammell tried to make his film as 'arty' as possible. In which case he failed. Oh and just a thought. Just because Cammell filmed a small fish flopping about instead of showing knife slashes to a victim does not make this some sort of clever giallo.

Great review Dem. I really had high hopes for this one, but found it hugely disappointing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 616326)
Great review Dem. I really had high hopes for this one, but found it hugely disappointing.

Ha,ha, thanks, Mojo. I really wanted to like it, but it seemed to get completely lost in both style and substance. Didn't really help that the actors were poor. Would have been a lot better with Keith David in the lead instead of David Keith. :lol:

Nostalgic 1st December 2019 03:34 PM

Ive had the steelbook for years, turns out its worthless......

Hoping the filmwas . Ok, going to be disappointed then!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 616328)
Ive had the steelbook for years, turns out its worthless......

Hoping the filmwas . Ok, going to be disappointed then!

Plenty of people seem to like it. Didn't appeal to myself or Mojo though.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 05:44 PM

THE IRISHMAN- If Scorsese never makes another film,then this would be a fitting swansong.:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 616287)
Is it really three and a half hours long? :scared:

Yeah,but it's fascinating.Whizzes by in no time.

Nostalgic 1st December 2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 616335)
Yeah,but it's fascinating.Whizzes by in no time.

I've watched 90 mins, was hooked! Will conclude next week!

Wife fell asleep as it didn't have mobile phones, wifi or complex "I like him but don't know how to tell him" young adult "problems" in the plot. Hoping she'll stay awake for concluding part....;)

Justin101 1st December 2019 06:12 PM

I watched Green Room this afternoon, stressful but great acting and plotting. Very realisitic machete trauma :axekiller:

Demoncrat 1st December 2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 616338)
I watched Green Room this afternoon, stressful but great acting and plotting. Very realisitic machete trauma :axekiller:

Great last line cough. :lol:
Brutal.
Seen Blue Ruin?
It's also quite ... stressful;) ... but rewarding.
Rewatch!!!

Justin101 1st December 2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616341)
Great last line cough. :lol:

Brutal.

Seen Blue Ruin?

It's also quite ... stressful;) ... but rewarding.

Rewatch!!!

I was pissed I never got to hear what his band was haha. Not seen Blue Ruin but I’m led to believe that all of his films are pretty hardcore. Will seek it out.

nosferatu42 1st December 2019 07:12 PM

They showed Blue Ruin a few times on Film4 i think, it is also a really good film.
So a recommendation from me too.:nod:

Demoncrat 1st December 2019 07:17 PM

The Red Shoes

One of the peaks of British cinema .
I cannot wait to see this upgraded as this (the Carlton sp ed) is very loud. Ahem.
A rather driven sort sets his gaze on an innocent. All for art's sake you understand ...
Films about ballet were never really on my radar. Sure, the Italian film is the zenith, but a manual it ain't :lol:.
Ahem.
The Archers changed all this. From my initial love for capricious Marius Goring in A Matter Of Life And Death, to the outright weirdness of A Canterbury Tale, they produced a body of work that is unrivalled to this day.
So this was no exception. I think the neighbours may have been annoyed :laugh: but I was just swept along with it.
Ahem.
An improvement over the old vhs, which was a bit tinny tbh.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 07:24 PM

I've never seen The Red Shoes, D.

I'n definitely going to see it now though. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 07:25 PM

...it's Anton 'Gaslight' Walbrook. :scared:

Demoncrat 1st December 2019 07:33 PM

I also dug his Murder Party which is slightly lighter in tone ;):lol:
Slightly.

School For Scoundrels (Robert Hamer)

I say! Ian Carmichael is a hopeless sort whom sets his eyes on a charming young thing after one of those happy accidents that cinema loves to concoct. Unfortunately the unprincipled Terry-Thomas also fancies his chances.
Cue Alistair Sim and his "college" ;):lol:
Rather a timid flick now seen from a modern prospective, but I've watched far thinner material stretched out longer tbh (that fricking Mummy :laugh:)
But I would watch Sim paint walls etc.

Demoncrat 1st December 2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 616350)
I've never seen The Red Shoes, D.

I'm definitely going to see it now though. :nod:

Good man!!
Play LOUD. :lol:
Keep us posted ....

:)

nosferatu42 1st December 2019 07:56 PM

I've got "The Red Shoes" but never got round to watching it.:rolleyes:
Some point this Christmas i may try to sort that.

Have you seen "Black Narcissus"?
I really like that.:pop2:

Demoncrat 1st December 2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 616355)
I've got "The Red Shoes" but never got round to watching it.:rolleyes:
Some point this Christmas i may try to sort that.

Have you seen "Black Narcissus"?
I really like that.:pop2:

Yes cubed.
Anything they did is worth perusing.

And then came .... Peeping Tom.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st December 2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616356)
Yes cubed.
Anything they did is worth perusing.

And then came .... Peeping Tom.

Yeah. Talk about a career killer. :lol:

Justin101 1st December 2019 09:45 PM

Another for never seeing The Red Shoes but I’ve really wanted to! I’ll get around to it, I know I’ll like it.

I’ve just finished watching The Boys In The Band, Friedkin’s delirious adaptation of the ‘gay play’. A group of gay friends gather for Harold’s birthday party when an unexpected and uninvited guest turns up and causes turmoil, violence and anxiety! Equally funny, heartwarming and devastating.

Looks fantastic on the recent Second Sight Blu-ray.

Susan Foreman 2nd December 2019 05:29 AM

It's interesting to note that one of the main characters in the 'Red Shoes' ballet is played by Michael Helpmann...

...who would go on to play The Child Catcher in 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'

Demoncrat 2nd December 2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 616372)
It's interesting to note that one of the main characters in the 'Red Shoes' ballet is played by Robert Helpmann...

...who would go on to play The Child Catcher in 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'

Indeed. Queen central tis ;)

Demoncrat 2nd December 2019 05:36 PM

Carry On Dick (1974)

Filth!!!
About as bawdy as you can get without having to dig up Chaucer :laugh:
The Bow Street Runners are after Big Dick Turpin & his gang. From this meagre gruel the CO team spare no entendre unturned in their quest for the ultimate in smut. The 'diddler' subplot being my main piece hof hevidence m'luds & ladies ...
Just about as ribald as they got (the antics in England are too influenced by the strain of sexy:rolleyes: comedy that overtook them IMHO).

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd December 2019 05:48 PM

Decemberdike # 1

1 Attachment(s)
Alice, Sweet Alice (1976)

Mixed early entry in the slasher genre where typical giallo motifs - killer wearing creepy mask and yellow plastic raincoat, red herrings aplenty - blend into both a family character study and critique on Catholicism.

Whilst the murders are striking and well done there's a lot of chatter which dragged the film out of the horror genre and into basic melodrama but director Alfred Sole constructs his murder scenes with deliciously tense vigor that the long passages of what i would call inconsequential talk and uninteresting religious diatribes can be forgive. Almost.

trebor8273 2nd December 2019 08:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGqGHMO294
Always watch this one , this time of year. Uptight business man Neil Page (Steve Martin) tries to make it home for thanksgiving but all sorts of disasters befall him, including lovable loser and shower ring salesmen Del Griffith( Candy). A comedy classic that never grows old and one of Martins and the late great John Candys best. 10/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd December 2019 04:07 PM

Decemberdike # 2

1 Attachment(s)
The Mummy's Shroud (1967)

Director John Gilling wrote the screenplay for The Mummy's Shroud and its a fairly average, cliche riddled affair, that manages to somehow be quite an enjoyable watch. This is in no small part due to John Phillips who has top billing as spoilt millionaire Sir Basil Walden, Phillips positively fills the screen every time he appears and engages the role with an almost youthful abandonment. Andre Morell is also excellent as the expedition leader who ends up institutionalised by Walden.

One of the best things about The Mummy's Shroud is that the film gives a decent sized role to Hammer regular Michael Ripper. Ripper appeared in more than twenty Hammer films, usually having only a few moments in each film, but still managing to create a distinctive character but in The Mummy's Shroud he gives an especially polished turn. It was nice to see Doctor Who regular Roger Delgado have a large role in the film as the villainous Hasmid-Ali.

As always with Hammer their production values are superb for what are relatively low cost films, The Mummy's Shroud is no exception, the sets are lush and certainly evoke a sense of the period, both in and outdoors. Unfortunately the mummy itself, played here by stuntman Eddie Powell (Who was actually Christopher Lee's stunt double in many Hammer productions), is not a very convincing creature, looking more like an American Footballer than a shambling ancient mummy. The mummy does have the films finest scene though as it rips itself apart at the finale.

Watched via the SC dual format release which i picked up earlier this year.

MrBarlow 3rd December 2019 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Ring. 2002

A journalist grieving after her niece's death is lead on a trail of a cursed video that kills 7 days after viewing it and time is running out after she and her son watch it.

Decent, stylish remake of the Japanese film Ringu, not many American remakes work or live upto to the original but this one (and The Grudge) are pretty creepy based on the Japanese Myth's and Urban Legends stories.

Naomi Watts plays journalist Rachael who discovers the tape and tries to stop the impending death of herself and her son Aiden and with the help of video tech Noah who is entangled in the web of mystery. Gore Verbinski done a great job directing this, who seemed to understand the supernatural genre and not create a bloodfest movie, does have a dark atmospheric background score by Hans Zimmer, think this is a film not to watch over and over but one to dig out once in a while.

Demoncrat 3rd December 2019 11:30 PM

Rise Of The Footsoldier: Marbella

Stone the fackin' crows! Another bleedin' Rettendon flick doncha know?
Craig Fairbrass is a hammer in human form called Pat Tate. Lawdy! Amusingly it has two other actors from Bonded By Blood ... playing the same characters :pound:. Geezah!!
Violent and silly tis. :lol:

gag 3rd December 2019 11:46 PM

:pound:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 616522)
Rise Of The Footsoldier: Marbella

Stone the fackin' crows! Another bleedin' Rettendon flick doncha know?
Craig Fairbrass is a hammer in human form called Pat Tate. Lawdy! Amusingly it has two other actors from Bonded In Blood ... playing the same characters :pound:. Geezah!!
Violent and silly tis. :lol:

Another I wasn't aware of this, what's this now the 4th 5th ? And when was this released ?
I do own the first 3.

Demoncrat 4th December 2019 09:03 AM

With the 3 Essex Boys films, I make this the 9th film made around that incident?? Cough.