Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

MrBarlow 11th December 2019 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Die Hard. 1988.

A NYPD officer arrives in Los Angeles to spend time with his family, his wife is attending a party in her office tower. When terrorist takes control, John McClane tries to save everyone and stay alive barefooted.

Classic 80s film that never gets old, and always good for one liners in a action movie. Made before the incredible CGI effects where the action sequences did look real and well done. Bruce Willis plays the bad ass sarcastic cop McClane taking on German Hans Gruber played brilliantly by Alan Rickman who seems calm and then goes to being very upset at times. Plenty of action, and explosions along the way.

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs".

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th December 2019 12:14 PM

Decemberdike # 8

1 Attachment(s)
Incident in a Ghostland (2018)

No story, no scares, no suspense.

This was so ****ing boring!

Dave Boy 12th December 2019 01:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221362
PHANTOM FROM 10,000 LEAGUES (1955)

Bodies with burn marks are washing up on the shoreline. The culprit, a sea creature that has mutated due to a experimental radioactive rock on the sea bed..

Low budget creature feature which uses the man in a rubber suit monster.
It's an okay movie but spends far too much time on land matters than going underwater to see what the actual creature is up to.

Attachment 221363 Attachment 221364

Frankie Teardrop 12th December 2019 03:14 PM

KILLER CROCODILE – Another late-in-the-day Italian exploitation entry, this ventures into swampy ‘Jaws’ rip off territory with Fabrizio D’Angelis at the helm and Gianetto De Rossi in the make-up chair. It’s all as mechanistic as might be expected, but also lots of fun if, like me, you find incompetent acting and an overall sense of plastic unreality intoxicating. As always with this kind of thing, it’s the little eccentricities that add sparkle, like the the slo-mo flying ranger’s hat moment near the end… I guess you had to be there. If that doesn’t float your boat, there’s a bit of gore and some nice monster fx.

THE CHILL FACTOR – This seems to have met with a decidedly underwhelmed response from those who’ve picked it up via Arrow’s recent attempt at canonisation. I jest re the latter of course, it’s nice that they’re still dishing out the obscurities. This one certainly is (obscure). It’s an early nineties horror flick about some snowmobilers who end up stranded in a shack or a church with some kind of dark ritualistic past. Many have dissed it for being boring, and it is a bit; there’s a by-the-numbers aspect, as well as a healthy dose of non-event in places. But give it a chance – if you’re into a murky, at times surreal atmosphere you’ll find that here, as well as occasional flashes of inspired imagery and a general sense of “Uh… that’s odd” – the enigmatic voiceover, for a start. I actually really quite liked this strange, awkward film.

UPGRADE – One that many seem to have raved about, ‘Upgrade’ appears to promise a return to the kind of low budget sci-fi-action-horror template beloved of fans of, well, the obvious examples, ‘Terminator’ etc. It has a lot in its favour – a nice look, lush visuals, a general feel that transcends its means. It also seems unafraid of pushing stilted performances along with the old ultraviolence and the cyborgy thematics. I thought it was good, but not great. The idea of being gradually colonised by a prosthetic self was probably the stronger but relatively unexplored aspect of a film that was more content to pander with lavish gore moments (not all that many, even) and a retro vibe.

SEE NO EVIL – From Richard Fleischer, around the time of his seventies directorial heyday (’10 Rillington Place’ et al). It has Mia Farrow as a blind woman being terrorised by an unseen creepo on a large country estate. If you were in that situation, would you want Boon to come to your rescue? It doesn’t quite pan out like that, but almost. A good film from when British horror was shaking off its gothic mantle, although I guess it’s more like a thriller really, if genre matters. Whatever, there’s a nice spooky atmosphere at work – it’s those boots, the way they move. What does it take to make boots look evil? That’s the mark of a cinematic genius. I also like how they make a small-town British high street temporarily look a bit like Times Square at night during the opening credits.

THE VINEYARD – Yeah, I’ve seen this a few times over the years, weirdly. I tend not to watch many movies more than once or twice, particularly stuff like ‘The Vineyard’, which seems tailor-made to blink once in the flotsam of the mind, then disappear for ever. And yet here we are, for the third or fourth time. I’m quite glad though, cos I don’t think the true lunacy of ‘The Vineyard’ was ever as clear to me before I slipped in the new VS incarnation, which showcases so many eighties moments of rancid cheese to HD perfection. This particular brand of cheese seems to have developed a mould-based delirium-inducing toxin that, once consumed, will expand neither the mind nor the soul, but will during rare moments of lucidity make you question why there’s this sorcerer dude with a vineyard, a cellar full of chained-up underwear models, and a garden full of zombies who kind of flounce around looking not very arsed. That’s pretty much ‘The Vineyard’, sequence after sequence of what I’ve just described in every conceivable permutation. Maybe that’s a good thing, maybe that’s a bad thing. How can we ever really know for sure?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th December 2019 04:21 PM

As always, Frankie, kudos! :clap:

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th December 2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 616941)
What does it take to make boots look evil? That’s the mark of a cinematic genius.

:pound:

gag 12th December 2019 05:46 PM

Midsommar,

Well what can I say, it's beautifully shot with a very atmospheric soundtrack, I enjoyed it but at same time I can also understand why other people don't, maybe it's the length of the film or the fact it's a slow burner is a possibility of what puts some people off. People are always saying the film industry needs something new and fresh and not remakes, sequels, reboots or the same old same old and that's exactly what midsommar is something new and fresh. As much as I enjoyed It i don't feel it's a film that can be rewatched a lot more occasionally here and there .

iank 12th December 2019 08:20 PM

Dementia 13. The reunion of a wealthy family with a tragic past unleashes an avalanche of murder and mayhem in this early 60s chiller directed by Francis (minus the Ford here) Coppola. Nothing overly special but watchable and atmospheric and even proto-slasheresque in places.

J Harker 12th December 2019 08:56 PM

Vampire Circus.

Found this later Hammer offering pretty dull and silly in places if I'm being honest. Some effective scenes but on the whole it felt unbalanced and just didn't grab me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

nosferatu42 12th December 2019 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Burn the heretic. :mob:

( To steal a phrase...cough.:cool:)

I really like Vampire Circus as it's unusual compared to a lot of hammer output.

There's a disjointed feel to it that kinda reminds me of weird Euro cult 70's films.

Also maybe it was because it was a racier Hammer offering that used to turn up on T.V quite a bit as an impressionable youngster back in the day.

And Lalla Ward pops up in it. ( but not out unfortunately.);)

Attachment 221368

Nostalgic 12th December 2019 10:46 PM

Jeepers Creepers

The Scream Factory edition is the best way to go for one of the last modern horror classics (see also American Werewolf) where the creature is amazing & setup is simple & engaging (see also The Hitcher), two teenagers travelking home from college encounter "something" that emerges every 23 years for 23 days and "feeds".

B EATING U

Nothing memorable since...

9/10

Dave Boy 13th December 2019 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221370
NIGHTMARE CITY (1980)

Contaminated people burst out of a aircraft on a runway and proceed to kill and cause mayhem as the infection spreads..

Entertaining and bat shit crazy movie from Umberto Lenzi.
Love it or hate it, it is almost non stop mutated zombie action.
Shame it had to have one of those WTF endings!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th December 2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 616967)
Attachment 221370
NIGHTMARE CITY (1980)

Contaminated people burst out of a aircraft on a runway and proceed to kill and cause mayhem as the infection spreads..

Entertaining and bat shit crazy movie from Umberto Lenzi.
Love it or hate it, it is almost non stop mutated zombie action.
Shame it had to have one of those WTF endings!

I think it's great entertainment and love it because of the WTF ending, which I think makes it more bizarre, interesting, and re-watchable.

Dave Boy 13th December 2019 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 616955)
And Lalla Ward pops up in it. ( but not out unfortunately.);)

Attachment 221376 :thumb:

Mojo 13th December 2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 616984)

GOT IT MADE ( 1974 ) really does need a Blu Ray release ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2019 05:09 PM

Decemberdike # 9

1 Attachment(s)
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)

The Horror of Frankenstein has four impressive things in it's favour. Two of those belong to Kate O'Mara, the third is Dave Prowse's excellent monster which in my opinion is as good as any since the mighty Karloff in the thirties, and the fourth and best is Ralph Bates.

Although not exactly a success in the role of Frankenstein, Bates brings an enthusiasm to the part which is unequaled. It's not a subtle performance (I don't think Bates does subtle) it's a blackly comic portrayal which unlike Peter Cushing's previous takes elicits no sympathy whatsoever. He's funny, dynamic and brashly obnoxious and utterly ruthless with it.

As far as Hammer Frankenstein films go it's not a patch on Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) or The Revenge of Frankenstein (1958) but it is a hell of a lot of fun and doesn't deserve the criticism it receives.

MrBarlow 13th December 2019 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Die Hard 2. 1990.

A year after taking on the terrorist at Nakatomi, John McClane is thrown into another problem at Dulles airport when rogue soldiers help release a drug lord from custody.

This is a great action packed sequel, Bruce is back with his wise crack antics trying to convince airport police lead by Dennis Franz that something is going on. William Sadler plays the rogue Col. Stuart who takes control of the airport and John Amos as the guy sent to take him down. William Atherton plays the assholish Richard Thornberg again the guy who wants the big story.

The build up to the film does seem to start off slow and does build up well with plenty action and suspense sequences and great snowmobile chase. Renny Harlin takes the chair of director for this one and does a decent job keeping everything moving at a decent pace.

trebor8273 13th December 2019 09:56 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAyUdx8ogkE

Dear old Hans has fallen to his death from nakatomi plaza, so that means the Christmas season has officially started! 10/10

gag 14th December 2019 06:58 AM

In fabric

I really liked and enjoyed this .

A mixture of Argento early film making and Cronenberg bizarre weirdness storyline and you've got this giallo style of film.

About a dress that's possessed and doesn't end well for anyone who wears it .
Its more of a story of 2 half's one with a women and other with a bloke, 2nd half doesn't quite grab or appeal the same as first half, told in very similar circumstances where they both get a telling off from their boss.

The 70s tonne feel of the film is done to a t, the style, look, weirdness, music etc etc you could easily be forgiven in thinking this was actually a 70s lost gem that's just been rediscovered and released instead of a modern day horror .

It also concentrates more on a film being a film instead of trying bring it upto modern society or give it a modern day look.

Definitely rank it up there as one of my favourite films of recent years and will be adding it to my collection .

I know this and Midsommar are miles apart but these 2 films make a refreshing change and stray away from the same crap that keeps getting released and not relying on the same old same old ,

We need more of these instead of churning out remakes, reboots, sequels, spin offs, or another marvel and DC universe film .

PS from same director that gave us Berberian sound studio so you have idea what type film to expect.

Recommended IMO.

Demoncrat 14th December 2019 10:32 AM

Visually it just sent me into paroxysms tbh. It's a high recommend from me still. :nod:

Beyond The Door (1974)

Batshit crazy Exorcist ripoff from the folk who brought you The Visitor. What more do you need? Juliet Mills and Richard Johnson go head to head in this prime piece of Exploitation. Just bask in its awful levivtating, spewy wonder. :laugh:

Dave Boy 14th December 2019 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs;616987
The Horror of Frankenstein (1970)

It's a shame you can't see the extra on the Scream Factory disc that is not on the UK studio Canal version 'Veronica Carlson: A Portrait Of Hammer'
An excellent 20 min interview with Veronica which is at times quite emotional as she talks about working with actors which are no longer with us. (Portions of this interview are on the UK disc). A very personal talk which remains one my favourite extras on a Hammer disc. I have been lucky to meet Veronica on a number of occasions and so this extra is just the icing on the cake for me.

Staying with Hammer, I watched..

Attachment 221380
THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (1968)

Awesome Hammer production in all ways. Remains my favourite Hammer Film. Shout Factory's 'The Devils Bride' version blows all others out of the water and is recommended if you can play region A discs.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 617017)
It's a shame you can't see the extra on the Scream Factory disc that is not on the UK studio Canal version 'Veronica Carlson: A Portrait Of Hammer'
An excellent 20 min interview with Veronica which is at times quite emotional as she talks about working with actors which are no longer with us. (Portions of this interview are on the UK disc). A very personal talk which remains one my favourite extras on a Hammer disc. I have been lucky to meet Veronica on a number of occasions and so this extra is just the icing on the cake for me.

I've still got the Optimum dvd which has the Sangster commentary and 13 minute interview with Carlson.

Justin101 14th December 2019 11:54 AM

The Apartment (1960)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf7NrtrHs1U

Finally got around to watching the blu-ray that Arrow mistakenly sent me for free last year! What a film, fantastic!

First Christmas film of the year too :)

Dave Boy 14th December 2019 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221389
MANHUNT OF MYSTERY ISLAND (1945)
REPUBLIC SERIAL - 15 CHAPTERS

Captain Mephisto, a long ago dead pirate appears alive and kidnaps a scientist working on a remote control invention. An investigator and the scientists daughter head to Mystery Island to find her father.
It turns out that Captain Mephisto is really a descendant of the dead pirate, living on the island who is able to use a machine to change in to Mephisto. But which one?

Exciting serial. Loads of chases, fights and explosions.
My favourite serial girl Linda Sterling, who gets knocked out quite a lot, does hold her own in the fight scenes, in fact saving the day in some scenes.
In 1945, movie serials were on the way out but this is a good example that there was life to had in these cliffhangers yet.

http://www.westernclippings.com/imag...ng_manhunt.jpg

Nostalgic 14th December 2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 617020)
The Apartment (1960)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf7NrtrHs1U

Finally got around to watching the blu-ray that Arrow mistakenly sent me for free last year! What a film, fantastic!

First Christmas film of the year too :)

Caught this on sky last year as part of my attempt to watch more "classic" films.

Genius! 10/10, i went straight out & bought the Arrow edition. Must watch again sokn, thanks for reminding me of this gem! :thankingyou:

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2019 04:40 PM

Decemberdike # 10

1 Attachment(s)
The Convent (2018)

Director Paul Hyett's third horror film following 2012's brilliant The Seasoning House and werewolf film Howl (2015)

Whilst not as good as either of those two, The Convent is still a decent trip into Gothic Nunsploitation territory. Set in the seventeenth century the film looks the part, and it's plot involving demons and necromancy and of course nuns strikes the right notes. Perhaps it is a bit too flabby with talk during it's middle third but the gory gruesomeness that interjects, such as eyeballs being pulled from their sockets, certainly ensures i maintained an interest in the film.

MrBarlow 14th December 2019 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Exorcist III: Legion

Lt. Kinderman investigates three murders that were linked to a serial killer who died 15 years earlier and a connection to patient in the disturbed ward of a hospital.

Blatty's original version before it was edited and had added in extra scenes and some scenes deleted that were to be lost and forgotten about.

This version adds in more questions than answers and does tie up some loose ends that the original cut didn't explain, Jason Miller didn't make a appearance as well as Nicol Williamson due to their characters being added in by the studio. There is some extended scenes and one intense scene with Kinderman and the university president. Also added in is a alternate opening scene. View with a open mind and try not to compare with the original release version.

Stephen@Cult Labs 14th December 2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 617055)
The Exorcist III: Legion

Lt. Kinderman investigates three murders that were linked to a serial killer who died 15 years earlier and a connection to patient in the disturbed ward of a hospital.

Blatty's original version before it was edited and had added in extra scenes and some scenes deleted that were to be lost and forgotten about.

This version adds in more questions than answers and does tie up some loose ends that the original cut didn't explain, Jason Miller didn't make a appearance as well as Nicol Williamson due to their characters being added in by the studio. There is some extended scenes and one intense scene with Kinderman and the university president. Also added in is a alternate opening scene. View with a open mind and try not to compare with the original release version.

It's a shame that they weren't able to locate the negative for Blatty's original version, but it's still nice to see what they were going for before the reshoots. Definitely prefer the more low key ending on the Legion version.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2019 11:00 PM

Decemberdike # 11

1 Attachment(s)
The Dark (2018)

Not so much a horror film as an exploration of friendship between a blind boy and the undead teenage girl he meets in a forest.

It did however feel much too long and would have worked better as a half hour short. Not enough actually happened to warrant it's 90+ minute run time but the acting was very good in a film that certainly strayed far from the normal horror tropes.

At times brutal at others hauntingly sad. A re-watch is in order in the new year.

MrBarlow 15th December 2019 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dredd. 2012.

In the future, police force serve the hall of justice, they are called Judges. Most feared is Judge Dredd, assigned the task of training a rookie they go to Peach Trees slum tower. Gangland drug Lord Ma-Ma seals the tower and places a bounty on the judges.

After watching the 1995 film I wasn't going to give this film a glance I was persuaded to watch it and loved every minute of it, Karl Urban brings out the perfect persona of the comic book character with the deep raspy voice, and no holding back on anything. Lena Headey role as Ma-Ma is amazing, a woman that wants to control the drug trade and handing out punishment her way with no remorse on who gets caught in the crossfire.

Dave Boy 15th December 2019 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 221407
BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974)

Awesome movie.
I remember first watching the movie on the television years back and all the explicit dialogue on the phone was cut out. When I finally saw the proper cut it was a surprise that's for sure!

MrBarlow 15th December 2019 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tower Of London. 1962.

With the death of his brother King Edward IV, Richard of Gloucester conspires to get to the throne for himself and begins to be haunted by those he has betrayed.

Vincent Price and Roger Corman team up again on this take of Richard III, and how he intends to be the next King of England. It has a mixture of Ghosts and the occult blended with a dark atmosphere and great acting from Vincent Price as the villain. The plot may not be the greatest and may drag on but certainly worth a viewing.

trebor8273 15th December 2019 09:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCptc2p2BJM

Some looney is killing people dressed as Santa , some good kills and unintentional laughs with lots a familiar British faces. By some of the same people behind peices with quite a few similarities to it. 5/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKeW-MGu-qQ

The first and still the best. It Christmas time and police detective Roger Murtaugh is teamed up with lose cannon Martin Riggs who could be crazy and unhinged, after investigating the death of a prostitute they get involved in a drug conspiracy involving ex CIA and special forces members. One of the best buddy cop movies. 9/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2019 10:17 PM

Decemberdike # 12

1 Attachment(s)
The Blob (1958)

Steve McQueen's first starring role and it's pretty damn forgettable. Co-star Aneta Corseaut continuously looks like she's in the wrong film and seems more likely to burst into a song and dance routine as battle an alien menace.

Director Irvin Yeaworth fails to generate any suspense whatsoever and the bulk of the movie is a talky borefest.

However it's not all bad. The small town the film is set looks great and the director captures it well with some excellent photography. The Blob itself is also a classic sci-fi creation. Yes i suppose it does look like an oozing mass of strawberry gelatin but it works very well. The Blob attacking the town cinema is an excellent effect as it oozes from the back projectors onto the audience below. In fact the final fifteen minutes are an exercise in sci-fi thrills and save the film imploding following a pretty dire middle third.

trebor8273 15th December 2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 617089)
The Blob (1958)

Steve McQueen's first starring role and it's pretty damn forgettable. Co-star Aneta Corseaut continuously looks like she's in the wrong film and seems more likely to burst into a song and dance routine as battle an alien menace.

Director Irvin Yeaworth fails to generate any suspense whatsoever and the bulk of the movie is a talky borefest.

However it's not all bad. The small town the film is set looks great and the director captures it well with some excellent photography. The Blob itself is also a classic sci-fi creation. Yes i suppose it does look like an oozing mass of strawberry gelatin but it works very well. The Blob attacking the town cinema is an excellent effect as it oozes from the back projectors onto the audience below. In fact the final fifteen minutes are an exercise in sci-fi thrills and save the film imploding from a pretty dire middle third.

For me the remake is that rare thing that's far superior to the original. Just found the original to be very dull and boring.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 617090)
For me the remake is that rare thing that's far superior to the original. Just found the original to be very dull and boring.

I believe so. I'd not seen either film before and ended up a bit disappointed by this early one.

Demoncrat 16th December 2019 11:57 AM

Alone In The Dark (1982, Jack Sholder)

A hoot. Starts off like a US Killers Moon, then severely morphs into its own little cul de sac. Frankly the most terrifying thing about this was seeing Terror from The Wanderers with hair. No shit :laugh:
Community care gets a severe bashing when a doctors patients come round for a home consultation. Yet again, how times change ;)
Recommended.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2019 12:15 PM

Decemberdike # 13

1 Attachment(s)
Down a Dark Hall (2018)

Atmospheric Spanish / US supernatural chiller set at the mysterious Blackwood Boarding School for girls.

Although not an awful lot happens and it's certainly not the usual girl school exploitation fest, the bleak atmosphere (thanks to the darkly lit halls of the title) bleeds through every pore and the quality of the acting makes it seem perhaps better than it actually is. More akin to Corman's Poe cycle than say The Exorcist, the denouement is at least an original concept.

Uma Thurman steals the show as the elegantly icy Madame Duret who runs and quietly manipulates goings on at the school.

trebor8273 16th December 2019 03:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMoSnrd7i5c

With Rise of the Skywalker out the end of the week thought it was time too rewatch the movies before it's out.

It's not hard to see why this is thought as one of the poorest of the franchise.
Here are some reasons

midichlorians
Boring politics
Overly long pod race
Annoying child actor
Jar Jar ****ing Binks!

Some positive points

Darth Maul
Duel of the fates track
End lightsaber battle.
Qui-Gon-Jinn

6/10

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th December 2019 10:10 PM

Decemberdike # 14

1 Attachment(s)
Superstition (1982)

Fans of splatter will adore this low-ish budget Amityville clone in which a minister's family move into a home under the spell of a witch's curse.

Characters end up drowned, sawed, spiked, slashed and even microwaved in squishy delightful practical FX sequences.

Oh and speaking of Amityville. This is so much more schlocky fun, so much so that it feels Italian.