Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demoncrat 17th September 2020 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're Watching (2016, Micah Wright/ Jay Leder)

Rather cheeky FFer. Follow Home Hunters as they do a "follow up" on a renovation project in darkest Moldovia. The 3 person crew make friends with the locals, and it all turns out pleasantly ...... LF :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I was really annoyed with one character, but the ending made me want to rewatch it again hahaha. Still not quite up there with Noroi of course. I do like these, so if you want to take this as a recommendation, you can .... ;):pop2:

Justin101 17th September 2020 05:21 PM

I like the poster art, it sounds interesting though too, so I might try and give it a go!

Demoncrat 17th September 2020 05:32 PM

Have fun!!! ;):nod::lol:

Dave Boy 18th September 2020 07:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 227793 Attachment 227794
BATTLE OF BRITAIN (1969)............. A BRIDGE TOO FAR (1977)

Two anniversary movies watched on the 15th for BATTLE OF BRITAIN and the 17th for A BRIDGE TOO FAR.
BATTLE OF BRITAIN was the first movie I ever saw at the cinema. Fantastic stuff. A BRIDGE TOO FAR is just bloody awesome. One of my big WWII interests is Operation Market Garden. I can't pass a book on Arnhem without buying it!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th September 2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 635555)
Now You See Me (2013)

I like both of the Now You See Me films – I think they are sharply directed and move along with a good pace which, for me, was that misdirection to keep me swept up in events and so the dénouement came as a surprise.

I've recently finished the Dekalog films for the first time, watching two a night. I thought they were brilliant, a masterpiece of filmmaking and storytelling. Because the stories slightly interlink and there are few characters who appear in a couple of the films (once in the main role and a second time as a cameo, and vice versa), I think I'll keep it out until I have a fairly empty day and will watch all 10 back-to-back to see how that viewing experience compares.

Last night, I watched the extra features, a really long interview with Tony Rayns and listened to the 1990 Q&A session with Krzysztof Kieślowski which added to my desire to do a 'marathon' viewing of the film series.

I finished that and, for a change of tone, watched Mystery Men. It's a really well judged superhero spoof film, one with a great cast ((Ben Stiller, William H. Macy, Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Rubens, Geoffrey Rush, Eddie Izzard, Lena Olin, Clare Forlani, Tom Waits), a very well written and funny screenplay by Neil Cuthbert, and engaging and energetic direction from Kinka Usher.

It neatly pokes fun at superhero tropes, such as the superhero Captain Amazing and his alter ego, Lance Hunt, being identical apart from Hunt wearing glasses and no one suspecting they might be the same person. With the 'gang on a mission' narrative device, it's almost like a spoof on the Avengers films well over a decade before they were made! I hadn't seen this in about 15 years and had forgotten how much fun it is, so am glad I bought the 88 Films Blu-ray release because it looks and sounds superb.

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th September 2020 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)

Whilst this is obviously a good film with an excellent cast i really struggle to love Jane Austen.

I haven't read any of her works so cannot comment on them but her adaptations are so wordy especially when compared to the likes of Dickens and Elizabeth Gaskell (Both of whom i do enjoy very much). Sense and Sensibility seems to be no different. I know that come tomorrow morning all i'll recall about this film is a group of women twittering poetry to one another or crying over repressed lost loves rather than any sort of larger scale story.

Now, had Jess Franco directed it...

nosferatu42 19th September 2020 02:57 AM

Sensuality and shagability i'm guessing if it was Franco, and all the more agreeable too.;)

nosferatu42 19th September 2020 03:00 AM

Starring Alan Dickman and Huge Grunt...

:behindsofa:

MuckyFunster 19th September 2020 02:09 PM

“Scary Stories to tell in the Dark”

Like a cross between Stranger Things and Urban Legend. Kids find a book that writes the stories they are most frightened of, then brings the stories into their reality. Decent, but I felt it could have been scarier, and the humour detracted from the scares.

“The Bloodstained Butteryfly”

I love a giallo. The style, the music...the convoluted-ness. This one reminded me of “12 angry men”. It even used the part in 12 angry men where they noticed the tell tale marks that the witness wore glasses which she had tried to conceal with make up - demonstrating that her eyesight isn’t 20/20 and she might have made a mistake in her identification of the accused. Decent movie, but it was a bit tame on the on-screen violence which left it feeling a bit weak.

“Insidious”

I’ve seen this before and really like it. Only watched the first ten minutes last night. I find this film really scary! I switched it off and then lay in bed with my eyes open, scanning the shadows and listening for bumps [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2020 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Driver (1978)

An ultra-cool neo-noir thriller from Walter Hill that although a flop on it's release has since influenced directors such as Michael Mann, Nicolas Winding-Refn and more recently Edgar Wright who unashamedly admits Baby Driver was based on this.

Set on the night time streets of downtown L.A. the film is bathed in a delightful hue of greens and yellow's and i freely admit i love these settings. Starring Ryan O'Neal as the driver and Bruce Dern as the detective, the movie has in the scenes where they meet. A feel of Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef's meeting at the army camp in The Good the Bad and the Ugly in it's laconic coolness. "I could torture you but you wouldn't tell me anything so what's the point".

However it's the car chases which make this film a classic, shot the old fashioned way with cameras strapped to the in and outside of cars, the chases, of which there are several lengthy ones, are the star of this movie and become a proper in your face driving experience thanks to classy direction and photography from director Walter Hill and his crew.

Nostalgic 19th September 2020 05:33 PM

Watchting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original 1987 series!), my 6 year old son is hooked & I'm still loving it after all these years!

I think I only saw the first few seasons as a kid as there are 10 in total, the last few intercut moments from the movie into the title sequence...?

Great fun that still holds up!

10/10

(Also reading the original comics....very Frank Miller inspired!)

Dave Boy 19th September 2020 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two films that went head to head from Christmas 1979.

Attachment 227824
STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE (Theatrical version)

You know, this movie is okay. It gets slated by a lot of people and earned itself a directors cut with recut scenes and new effects.
I honestly cannot see a problem with the visual effects.
Slow moving film? Mmm yeah, but I have no problem with it and really enjoyed the recent viewing.

Attachment 227825
THE BLACK HOLE

One of my all time favourites. A film aimed at youngsters? Adults?
It earned itself am 'A' CERT. Kid friendly robots and action but with a real sinister storyline. And what about the heaven and hell ending?
John Barry's score is superb.

Both Star Trek The Motion Picture and The Black Hole were among the last films to be shown with an overture before the movie.
Jerry Goldsmith chose 'llia's theme' for Star Trek and John Barry the action overture for The Black Hole.
I remember the overture being played for The Black Hole before the curtains opened when I saw it on release.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2020 07:02 PM

The Black Hole is probably the most downbeat, ****ed up film Disney ever produced.

Compare it to the recent Star Wars shit shows. :lol:

Game set and match to The Black Hole. :lol:

Inspector Abberline 19th September 2020 10:03 PM

Rip

Is it a symptom of Covid watching New York Ripper three time's this year,and again now...I. Do feel queasy....

MrBarlow 19th September 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 635669)
Is it a symptom of Covid watching New York Ripper three time's this year,and again now...I. Do feel queasy....

Nah it ain't Covid Inspector, think what you have and what we call a good taste in Fulci movies, this may be temporary as i have been this same with Der Lift movie , Transylvania 6-5000 and Amsterdamned this year, it will pass you by, think the best way to get over it is to sit back a relax and let the film absorb into your head, if you feel queasy coffee can help.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

You're quackers.

Inspector Abberline 19th September 2020 10:28 PM

Rip

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 635671)
You're quackers.

Never a truer word said (or quack)..I mean between Bob in HBTC and the Ripper I'm surprised I haven't gone postal years ago.

Inspector Abberline 19th September 2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 635670)
Nah it ain't Covid Inspector, think what you have and what we call a good taste in Fulci movies, this may be temporary as i have been this same with Der Lift movie , Transylvania 6-5000 and Amsterdamned this year, it will pass you by, think the best way to get over it is to sit back a relax and let the film absorb into your head, if you feel queasy coffee can help.

You watched Transylvania 6-5000...now that is sick...

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th September 2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 635675)
Never a truer word said (or quack)..I mean between Bob in HBTC and the Ripper I'm surprised I haven't gone postal years ago.

Look, i didn't want to tell you like this but...

Inspector Abberline 19th September 2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 635679)
Look, i didn't want to tell you like this but...

To hell with it,I'm going to watch House By The Cemetery as well, that little f#@kwit Bob ain't gonna spoil my evening...

MrBarlow 19th September 2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 635677)
You watched Transylvania 6-5000...now that is sick...

I did fell a bit funny but then seeing Geena Davis like this http://stepkid.com/wp-content/upload...a_6-5000_6.jpg my temperature did go up a bit more :lol:

Nostalgic 20th September 2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Lol! I've watched City of the Living Dead thrice in the last fortnight! And NYR is on the stack to be watched! Great taste my friend, I'm low on time in the evenings (work, family etc) so my "to watch" pile grows ever more vast!

Inspector Abberline 20th September 2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 635710)
Lol! I've watched City of the Living Dead thrice in the last fortnight! And NYR is on the stack to be watched! Great taste my friend, I'm low on time in the evenings (work, family etc) so my "to watch" pile grows ever more vast!

Bob from HBTC done it for me last night,I was so hoping that
Dr. Freudstein would finally catch the little vermin and put him and whom ever dubbed the git out of there misery....

bleakshaun 20th September 2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 635717)
Bob from HBTC done it for me last night,I was so hoping that
Dr. Freudstein would finally catch the little vermin and put him and whom ever dubbed the git out of there misery....

he never does unfortunately no matter how hard you wish :pray: :sad:

Dave Boy 20th September 2020 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 227863

Inspector Abberline 20th September 2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 635737)

Pure unadulterated evil, he makes Dennis Nilsen look almost normal....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th September 2020 10:04 PM

Dire Straits : Alchemy Live (1984) ★★★★½

The way we experience concerts at home has significantly changed over the past 25 years because of technological advances, so the recording of this concert was very limited and, by the standards of a live performance from Madonna, Biffy Clyro, or Foo Fighters in the last couple of years is very pedestrian and orthodox. Additionally, concerts by the biggest artists are much more expensive and immersive experiences nowadays because of the amount of pyrotechnics and displays they tend to incorporate.

All that said, the real star is the music and I've listened to the album countless times since my dad (a former schoolteacher) brought a cassette home of the album which eight people had recorded for him

I'm sure I've seen the concert before, in whole or in part, as the visuals seemed warmly familiar. For me, the standout songs are Romeo & Juliet, Sultans of Swing, Solid Rock, and Going Home (Theme from Local Hero), with the finale being a wonderfully melancholic and jazz inflected variation of the version from the Local Hero soundtrack album.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching this and you intend to buy the Blu-ray release for the DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack, HD picture, and to be able to watch it without commercial breaks.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th September 2020 10:08 PM

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) ★★★★★

This film not only incorporates the main title of Hunter S. Thompson's seminal novel, but also, through its cinematography and design, fully embraces the subtitle: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream

The rapid tonal shifts, from surreal comedy to horrendous tension, frivolity to nightmarish danger are essential to accurately portray the essence and content of Thompson's text. Based on the interviews and archive footage I've seen and heard with Thompson, Johnny Depp's performance is remarkable, the resemblance is uncanny more with the behaviour and speech than his physiognomy.

It's a remarkable film, a huge accomplishment because it not only brought the book to the screen, but did it in a way which is funny, energetic, uncomfortable, and completely unique.

I'm not surprised it's a film which wasn't a critical or commercial success in 1998 – it's weird and difficult to classify – but it's equally no surprise established a sizeable fan base in the 20+ years since it was released.

I've seen this film many times since I first bought the Criterion Collection DVD and have since bought the Criterion Collection Blu-ray release and now the Arrow Video Blu-ray. Watching it for the first time in several years makes me want to read the book again before I next watch the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th September 2020 10:10 PM

Mystery Men (1999) ★★★½

This is a very well judged superhero spoof film, one with a great cast ((Ben Stiller, William H. Macy, Hank Azaria, Greg Kinnear, Janeane Garofalo, Paul Rubens, Geoffrey Rush, Eddie Izzard, Lena Olin, Clare Forlani, Tom Waits), a very well written and funny screenplay by Neil Cuthbert, and engaging and energetic direction from Kinka Usher.

It neatly pokes fun at superhero tropes, such as the superhero Captain Amazing and his alter ego, Lance Hunt, being identical apart from Hunt wearing glasses and no one suspecting they might be the same person. With the 'gang on a mission' narrative device, it's almost like a spoof on the Avengers films well over a decade before they were made!

I hadn't seen this in about 15 years and had forgotten how much fun it is, so am glad I bought the 88 Films Blu-ray release because it looks and sounds superb.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th September 2020 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reborn (2018)

I was told to expect the worst from this low budget horror film but in truth i quite enjoyed it.

Set in and around L.A. it stars Barbara Crampton as a struggling actress going from bit part to bit part all bit ignored by her agent, Rae Dawn Chong, who is more interested in a younger more vibrant (but actually far shitter) actress, whose life becomes more complicated when a girl ( Kayleigh Gilbert) shows up on her doorstep who might have been the stillborn daughter she lost sixteen years earlier. Meanwhile local cop Michael Pare is investigating strange murders involving electricity.

Reborn is acted well enough and i always like Crampton in whatever she does. Certainly the SFX are a bit limited and it isn't remotely scary but it is what it is and that's basically a bargain basement riff on Carrie and Firestarter.

Look out for a cameo by a legendary movie director in the final surprising scene.

Demoncrat 20th September 2020 11:09 PM

Ten Little Indians (1989, Alan Birkinshaw)

Another outing in Agathaland from those wacky front wheelers, yet again mostly sane and respectful with a modicum of Cannon in the casting hem hem.
The female lead looks like if you squashed Karen Black and Brooke Shields togever and Loomis looked pissed.

REWATCH!!!!

:nod:

Inspector Abberline 21st September 2020 03:31 PM

Blue mole

Blue Collar (1978)
This is one of my favourite Paul Schrader movies, looking at three working class men in a Detroit car plant,who between the management and the Union reps can't seem to get a break... Until they come up with a scheme to rob the Union headquarters, unfortunately all they find is paperwork and no money...With an amazing line up of actors, Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto as the three main protagonist,who all fall foul of there corrupt union.After trying to blackmail them with evidence of illegal loans the three find them selves way over there heads.,. Schrader has a knack off portraying down at heal working class characters who are forced to take some sort of action to get out of a situation...Just marvelous 1970s film making.

El Topo.(1970)
Completely mind bending film,that really has some extreme ideas and even more extreme imagery...When I first watched it mainy moons ago,I had no idea what it is all about then, And I still have no idea what the hell was going on... Obviously there is a great deal of religous imagery and amongst all the horse offal and Sam Peckinpah shoot outs I'm sure there is some deep meaning to it all...but I'm buggered if I can find it..At least it never had a decomposing elephant being pushed into landfill.....The film that broke my bonkers,I am without bonkers..I'm bonkerless...,

Justin101 21st September 2020 06:30 PM

I'm going to put this out there, I don't actually mind Bob :lol: he's just trying to make the most of moving into a horrible scary house!

I'm sure that he was dubbed by a woman??? I'm pretty sure I come across that nugget of information from somewhere, perhaps on the interview with 'grown-up Bob' on the new BU disc??

bleakshaun 21st September 2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 635790)
I'm going to put this out there, I don't actually mind Bob :lol: he's just trying to make the most of moving into a horrible scary house!

I'm sure that he was dubbed by a woman??? I'm pretty sure I come across that nugget of information from somewhere, perhaps on the interview with 'grown-up Bob' on the new BU disc??

to be fair while the voice is annoying it ain't as disturbing as the teenage man who wants bitty in Burial Ground :pound::pound::pound:

https://diaboliquemagazine.com/wp-co...nd-620x349.jpg

Justin101 21st September 2020 09:00 PM

The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)

https://secureservercdn.net/192.169....ueen-movie.jpg

Not awful, but not good either. There were some really standout out moments though that kept me going to the end. Worth watching but don't get your hopes up.

At least the soundtrack is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScmRiaZhwk

Rik 21st September 2020 09:29 PM

I thought the first one was shite, so I haven’t bothered with this, I do seem to be in the minority though because everyone online seems to think the Babysitter was a good film :lol:

Justin101 21st September 2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 635806)
I thought the first one was shite, so I haven’t bothered with this, I do seem to be in the minority though because everyone online seems to think the Babysitter was a good film :lol:

I gave the first one 4 stars so I obviously enjoyed it a lot! If you didn't like it then there is no chance in hell you'll enjoy the 2nd one :lol:

nicholasrope 21st September 2020 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To Catch A Killer

Brian Dennehy stars as serial killer John Wayne Gacy and this is a fascinating 3hour True Story of the Police investigation of missing Teens that were linked to Gacy.

This just flew and it didn't drag on at all (Which for me is a must when watching 3 hour films) it felt like 2 hours.

MrBarlow 21st September 2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 635809)
To Catch A Killer

Brian Dennehy stars as serial killer John Wayne Gacy and this is a fascinating 3hour True Story of the Police investigation of missing Teens that were linked to Gacy.

This just flew and it didn't drag on at all (Which for me is a must when watching 3 hour films) it felt like 2 hours.

One of Brian Dennehy's best roles, top notch film.

Demoncrat 21st September 2020 11:12 PM

I still say that the daughter in Macabre is far more annoying than Bob could ever be. :nod: