Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 6th September 2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasrope (Post 634665)
Can't say I'm a fan of the spin-offs, I gave the 1st 2 a shot but didn't like them.

I especially didn't like the fact that Jim and Michelle had a baby and it was mentioned casually during Band Camp.

American Baby would have made a great addition to the Theatrical releases.

I saw one and part of one and couldn’t take to them either so never bothered with them.

Graveyard 7th September 2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 634623)
No worries, just don’t ask if such a film any good because I’ll just watch it and give a fake review to either make you watch a shitty film or put you off watching a decent film :lol::pound:

I watched rest of the film I don’t know why I just wasn’t feeling it, but saying that it was a good and decent film that makes a refreshing change from all the same old same old that being churned out for the past few yrs or so, and it also ties in with what happening in the world these days with all the fake news and shows how if you’ve got the know how you can manipulate people etc and the problems it can cause eg .....Here a snippet from Wikipedia on the page about the film

Whilst fictional, the film does relate to ongoing real-life situations such as the use of social media to psychologically manipulate users and navigate public opinion through fake news. It is a representation of how online-propelled hatred can lead to severe consequences and real-life casualties. Three weeks after the filming was completed, Paweł Adamowicz, city mayor of Gdańsk and a liberal politician frequently targeted by online haters, was stabbed to death during a live broadcast charity event.

If these are the Consequences of fake news and hatred its actually quite frightening tbh.

Also the film is classed as a sequel to the directors previous film in 2011 suicide room .

Ps just spotted this HBO to make a series based on the film the hater,
https://www.filmneweurope.com/news/p...-komasa-s-film

That is exactly why I enjoyed the movie so much, on nowadays with all this fake news non sense & etc it's crazy - I have Suicide Room on my list already, and didn't know about the tv show, thanks for the heads up :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th September 2020 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Isolation (2005)

An extremely claustrophobic Irish chiller which is a farm yard version of The Thing.

John Lynch is brilliant as a struggling cattle farmer who faces an eco nightmare after volunteering his cattle herd to scientists to perform artificial insemination experiments on. What follows is an understated yet highly sustained experiment in slow burn terror as the film becomes a powerfully atmospheric exercise in musty rural decay as well as a terrifying and unrelenting horror film. The superbly realized gloopy gory FX belie the films low budget.

The sequence where Lynch ends up face down in a slurry pit after discovering a body just below the surface really sums this uncompromising movie up.

iank 7th September 2020 08:39 PM

The Stepfather. Terry O'Quinn is a man obsessed with having the perfect idealised family - and he moves from single mother to single mother, marrying them and then slaughtering the entire family and moving on when the reality fails to live up to the fantasy. The lovely Jill Schoelen is Stephanie, the teenage girl who senses something dark and dangerous behind her new stepfather's cheery Father Knows Best facade. This mid 80s thriller is still a classic chiller! :nod:

Demoncrat 7th September 2020 09:03 PM

Day Of The Warrior (1996, Andy Sidaris)

Lotsa new faces and no remote control madness for once, but it's still business as usual in Molokai. Booooooooooooooooooooooooobs. And some gunplay. That's all you care about anyway, so queue right up folks!! ;);):lol:
The plot this time is null and void compared to the ... musical numbers ... this time. :rolleyes::laugh::behindsofa:

Now to rewatch them all in order. :nod::nod::nod:

J Harker 7th September 2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634691)
Isolation (2005)

An extremely claustrophobic Irish chiller which is a farm yard version of The Thing.

John Lynch is brilliant as a struggling cattle farmer who faces an eco nightmare after volunteering his cattle herd to scientists to perform artificial insemination experiments on. What follows is an understated yet highly sustained experiment in slow burn terror as the film becomes a powerfully atmospheric exercise in musty rural decay as well as a terrifying and unrelenting horror film. The superbly realized gloopy gory FX belie the films low budget.

The sequence where Lynch ends up face down in a slurry pit after discovering a body just below the surface really sums this uncompromising movie up.

I'll have to watch this again. Picked it up for about 3 quid last year off your recommendation Dem. To be honest i thought it a bit naff but it may have been the circumstances under which i was trying to watch it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

troggi 7th September 2020 11:20 PM

I have just finished watching "today's droppings" (on the doormat, silly, y' don't think I'd sit watchin' a turd, do ya?)

"Superman: Man of Tomorrow"

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon...._AC_SX342_.jpg

You all know by now that I'm a sucker for the DC Animated Universe. It won't be a surprise to find out that I'd been sucked in by this latest offering. The main feature is great, more of that iconic style of animation that I love. As for the extras:
  • Minifig: better quality than it looks in the photo
  • Featurette on Lobo
  • Featurette on Martian Manhunter
  • Previews of upcoming and existing DCAU features
  • Two episodes of "Superman: The Animated Adventures (featuring Lobo)
What can I say? 12.5/10 for the minifig, 27/10 for the fillum, and another 27/10 for the extra features ("Batman: Soul of the Dragon looks so cool)!

Justin101 8th September 2020 11:46 AM

Has anyone been to the Cinema lately? I quite want to go and see Tenet but I'm also a bit nervous about it...

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634720)
Has anyone been to the Cinema lately? I quite want to go and see Tenet but I'm also a bit nervous about it...

I'm sure it'll be full of pricks who remove their masks the second they enter the screen and start shouting into their phones immediately. Or as they say, business as usual.

Justin101 8th September 2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634723)
I'm sure it'll be full of pricks who remove their masks the second they enter the screen and start shouting into their phones immediately. Or as they say, business as usual.

Yeah I kind of feel that way too. It's a shame, there are a couple of movies on at the moment I'd like to see but I'll probably just end up waiting. I think that the last time I went to the cinema was for The Rise of Skywalker so I could probably do with a better last memory :lol:

(it might have been Little Women I honestly can't remember...)

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634724)
Yeah I kind of feel that way too. It's a shame, there are a couple of movies on at the moment I'd like to see but I'll probably just end up waiting. I think that the last time I went to the cinema was for The Rise of Skywalker so I could probably do with a better last memory :lol:

The last time i went it was for Spike Lee's Inside Man. I think that's pretty cool to be honest. :lol:

Justin101 8th September 2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634725)
The last time i went it was for Spike Lee's Inside Man. I think that's pretty cool to be honest. :lol:

I've never seen it but it looks good and is on Netflix, I've added it to my list :)
Although 14 years since your last cinema trip... haha, looking back though, I can see how you wouldn't miss it :D

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634724)

I saw Parasite in the cinema on February 17th and Emma. the following day and haven't been since then. I haven't had any desire to return either.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634725)

That's a really good film, one I haven't seen as many times as it deserves.

bleakshaun 8th September 2020 04:52 PM

Last film I saw was The Lighthouse

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Dave Boy 8th September 2020 05:42 PM

I'm off to the cinema on Thursday. As it stands at the moment there are only two of us in the screen. Result! :thumb:

Dave Boy 8th September 2020 06:06 PM

https://www.abkol.com/img/uploads/51...14.torrent.jpg

Some like 'em, some hate 'em.
For me, pure popcorn entertainment.
Love the video game accurate Jill Valentine in 'Apocalypse.. Jill sadly missing from 'The Final Chapter'.
All the movies are great fun but I really like 'Apocalypse' and 'Afterlife'.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 634744)

Love the video game accurate Jill Valentine in 'Apocalypse.. Jill sadly missing from 'The Final Chapter'.

My faves are Retribution and Apocalypse,

MrBarlow 8th September 2020 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ready or Not. 2019.

On her wedding night a new bride's in-laws welcome her into their family and tradition play a game, she picks at random a card that says and hide and seek which takes a sinister turn.

I can't remember the last time i had a good laugh at a horror movie with plenty of gore and black humour, Samara Weaving plays the blushing bride who after the evening becomes the blood gushing bride. Henry Czerny plays the new father in law and leads the game of hunt with other eccentric mad family members. From the start it goes at a decent pace then goes straight the punch and why some people shouldn't be given a weapon, worth a watch.

Attachment 227538

MrBarlow 8th September 2020 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Knives Out. 2019.

After celebrating his 85th birthday crime novelist Harlan Thormbey is found dead, private investigator is brought in to uncover the clues of his death with his disfuctional family and loyal staff.

This is like a homage to the old who done it movies that is made in a modern time era, Daniel Craig plays Blance, the southerner detective hired by someone to investigate the death and who had motives to kill him and who would try to cover their tracks. As much as it is a crime thriller there is quite a lot of comedy blended in, just when the film goes in one way and takes a detour with more turns to it makes it worth watching and had a good star cast.

Attachment 227543

Graveyard 8th September 2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634720)

Funny enough, I went to the cinema today with my kid (first time he went to the cinema), you need to use mask outside the screening room, but inside you don't need a mask - I bought my tickets online, and was quiet clear that social distance was in place, everyone around was behaving with a mask and following social distance before enter the room.. but again, was a kid's movie lol.

MrBarlow 8th September 2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 634758)
Funny enough, I went to the cinema today with my kid (first time he went to the cinema), you need to use mask outside the screening room, but inside you don't need a mask - I bought my tickets online, and was quiet clear that social distance was in place, everyone around was behaving with a mask and following social distance before enter the room.. but again, was a kid's movie lol.

What movie did you go to see?

MrBarlow 8th September 2020 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Fifth Element. 1997.

In the distant future, a ex soldier now cab driver becomes a unlikely hero when he helps a cloned woman to accomplish a mission and save the world.

From visionary film director Luc Besson comes this colourful science fiction film with action, romance and comedy, Ian Holm plays the cardinal who knows the story on the Fifth Element and mythical things. Gary Oldman does do his best as the evil Zorg who has done a deal to get the stones in question. Bruce Willis plays the reluctant hero and Milla Jovovich as the DNA clone Leeloo who is on the mission for the stones,

The special effects in this are amazing as it is like looking at something that came from a comic book and something you didn't expect to come out of the 90s. Chris Tucker provides most of the laughs as the loud mouth DJ and his flamboyant costumes and a small appearance by Lee Evans. This is a film i can never get bored of watching.

Attachment 227549

Dave Boy 9th September 2020 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 227550
THE VALLEY OF GWANGI (1969)

Another of Ray Harryhausen's early dreams come to fruition as cowboys from a wild west show find a forbidden valley of prehistoric creatures.
This is great stuff and once again follows the pattern of a creature that pays the ultimate price as the greed of man takes it out of it's natural enviroment.

Justin101 9th September 2020 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 634744)

I really like this series too, but my least enjoyable movies are 'Apocalypse' and 'Afterlife' :lol: I think 'Extinction' is my favourite!

MrBarlow 9th September 2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634790)
I really like this series too, but my least enjoyable movies are 'Apocalypse' and 'Afterlife' :lol: I think 'Extinction' is my favourite!

I didn't have high hope's for Extinction but it surprised me, I'm not a fan of The Final Chapter tbh

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th September 2020 03:22 PM

Phantasm (1979) ★★★★

I've no idea how to describe the appeal of Phantasm – it's a low-budget film with a bizarre and barely coherent story which it would be difficult to tell without sounding silly, committed (though often unconvincing) performances, and both jumps and laughs.

It's a film which I like because it is so quirky; the story is so unusual that it really draws you in and that's when the atmosphere and technical expertise become evident, and the whole thing moves along at a good rate

I think the film works *because* of its shortcomings, not despite them, as it wouldn't be the same with a more straightforward and roopfilled storyline, 'regular' characters (how many films have an ice cream man a s a protagonist?) and polished performances from an all-star cast.

Rotten Tomatoes describe the Phantasm series as "endearingly idiosyncratic", a phrase which I think perfectly describes the films.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th September 2020 03:24 PM

Phantasm II (1988) ★★★

Replacing A. Michael Baldwin with James LeGros gives us a new Mike one who looks and behaves differently, particularly with his prophetic nightmares and a psychic bond of some sort with a young woman called Liz Reynolds.

The plot, such as it is, involves Mike and Reggie plundered graveyards as the Tall Man continues to assemble a collection of dwarf zombie slaves to work on his home planet, and it's up to our protagonists to stop him.

This has some of the surrealism and anxiety dream feel of the first film, but it's a tough film to like because it doesn't have the same level of atmosphere or claustrophobia (the single location being replaced by a road trip completely alters the tone).

Although Baldwin isn't the world's greatest thespian, he's a better actor than LeGros and the film suffers because I didn't find this Mike particularly believable. I really like the innovative use of the spheres, whether they are pinning a hand to a door or burrowing all the way through someone's body, from the small of the back to their mouth. In this sense, Coscarelli has really upped the gore factor.

It's a very easy film to watch and the sequences with power tools, a crematorium furnace, and dimension portals are very entertaining. It neatly cues up a third instalment which I'll probably watch tonight.

MrBarlow 9th September 2020 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lisa and The Devil, 1973.

A American tourist in Spain looses her way and sees a man that resembles the devil in a painting, she invited to a house owned by a blind woman and enters a world of fantasy and horror.

I reviewed this earlier in the year under The House of Exorcism that was badly edited and had a alternate ending obviously to cash in on The Exorcist, this was the version that is to see. Elke Sommer plays the American tourist lost in Spain that is taking to a villa. Telly Savalas plays the butler who seems friendly but also like to try and play mind games and alter the truth. This had more suspense in than the alternate version, it doesn't rely on jump scares but good acting to make the film more sinister.

Attachment 227554

zeroid 9th September 2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 634773)
The Fifth Element. 1997.

In the distant future, a ex soldier now cab driver becomes a unlikely hero when he helps a cloned woman to accomplish a mission and save the world.

From visionary film director Luc Besson comes this colourful science fiction film with action, romance and comedy, Ian Holm plays the cardinal who knows the story on the Fifth Element and mythical things. Gary Oldman does do his best as the evil Zorg who has done a deal to get the stones in question. Bruce Willis plays the reluctant hero and Milla Jovovich as the DNA clone Leeloo who is on the mission for the stones,

The special effects in this are amazing as it is like looking at something that came from a comic book and something you didn't expect to come out of the 90s. Chris Tucker provides most of the laughs as the loud mouth DJ and his flamboyant costumes and a small appearance by Lee Evans. This is a film i can never get bored of watching.

Attachment 227549

What is the best current Bluray version of this film, picture/sound quality more important than extras as preference, and not UHD/4K .... please.

Demoncrat 9th September 2020 06:20 PM

The Owners (Julius Berg)

Arya Stark needs to choose her friends more carefully.
Home invasion flick. Reasonable up to a point.
Not as disturbing as it thinks it is.
Fun casting though for all that.

Justin101 9th September 2020 06:43 PM

El Topo (1970)

https://www.cinelounge.org/imgfull/104405.jpg

I was really enjoying this crazy movie until it suddenly felt too long. It's split into 3 acts, in the first El Topo is teaching his 7 year old (and very naked) son that it's time to abandon childish things and become a man, in the second act he unceremoniously dumps his child for a woman and they go on a quest to prove his strength and skills by killing the fabled '4 greatest gunmen' in the desert. Finally, and this is when it started to feel like a 2 hour film, our man in black awakens in a cave surrounded by a disabled posse, he vows to liberate them by digging a tunnel, but what follows is 30-40 minutes of mimes and skits.

I think the 2nd act was the most successful for me and I couldn't help but think of Roland Deschain on his quest for the tower.

Even though I feel that this is the most celebrated of all Jodorowsky films, it's my least favourite so far (out of Fando Y Lis, The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre) but I think I'll be giving it another chance in the future, I'll go for the English dub that time.

Justin101 9th September 2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroid (Post 634806)
What is the best current Bluray version of this film, picture/sound quality more important than extras as preference, and not UHD/4K .... please.

There is a new (normal) BluRay by Studio Canal that came out 2 weeks ago that uses the new 4k remaster. As far as I know it has 0 extras.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th September 2020 07:55 PM

Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994) ★★★

Without any the eerie atmosphere of the original Phantasm and with A. Michael Baldwin credited but barely featuring, this has a new central relationship with a new protagonist with ice cream vendor Reggie joined by a prepubescent psychopath called Tim.

Instead of the surrealism and unsettling, anxiety dream weirdness which made the first Phantasm such a cult classic, this alternates between jumps, laughs, and suspense.

What really doesn't work is Reggie turning into a full on sex pest, desperately coming onto any female with a pulse, both in his dreams and waking moments.

Of course, the silver spheres have their moments and they don't disappoint thanks to some excellent practical effects and become even more interesting because of scenes involving goblin/zombie brains and some form of mass intelligence or hive mind.

As with the other Phantasm films, this looks great because of the lighting, framing, locations, sets and the cinematography. It's directed with energy, humour, and always seems visually interesting even when the film is almost narratively incoherent.

Though not the greatest film ever made in the fantasy or horror genres, it's a film which is never dull and has plenty to give it rewatch value.

Dave Boy 10th September 2020 07:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 227601
THE FUNHOUSE (1981)

Although almost a bloodless slasher movie, this is a good film and very suspenseful. The showdown with the 'monster' at the end is great stuff. The movie also has a good music score.
I love horror movies with funfairs and wax museum figures and they don't make enough of them.

Attachment 227602
THE NEW MUTANTS (2018/2020)

Finally this movie is out. I don't care what anyone says, I thought this film was bloody good.
Although an X-Men spin off, don't go expecting those sort of superhero antics.
The mutants are kept in a so called hospital while their powers are studied and are helped to keep them from being dangerous.. Or so they think!
The film is actually quite dialogue heavy as the mutants try to understand who they are and what is actually going on. Yes, their powers go on show but only briefly throughout and more so at the end. There is some comic book accurate stuff on show here, most notable is Illyana Rasputin (Magik) who looks like she just stepped out of the X-men pages.
So, my son and I had the whole screen to ourselves which was awesome.

Demoncrat 11th September 2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 634821)
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1994) ★★★

Without any the eerie atmosphere of the original Phantasm and with A. Michael Baldwin credited but barely featuring, this has a new central relationship with a new protagonist with ice cream vendor Reggie joined by a prepubescent psychopath called Tim.

Instead of the surrealism and unsettling, anxiety dream weirdness which made the first Phantasm such a cult classic, this alternates between jumps, laughs, and suspense.

What really doesn't work is Reggie turning into a full on sex pest, desperately coming onto any female with a pulse, both in his dreams and waking moments.

Of course, the silver spheres have their moments and they don't disappoint thanks to some excellent practical effects and become even more interesting because of scenes involving goblin/zombie brains and some form of mass intelligence or hive mind.

As with the other Phantasm films, this looks great because of the lighting, framing, locations, sets and the cinematography. It's directed with energy, humour, and always seems visually interesting even when the film is almost narratively incoherent.

Though not the greatest film ever made in the fantasy or horror genres, it's a film which is never dull and has plenty to give it rewatch value.

I remember laughing a lot at this one, mainly due to the cut price Grace Jones tee hee

Justin101 11th September 2020 09:18 AM

I remember enjoying Phantasm 3 more than part 2, but I did think that Reg's sex pest arc was a bit much :lol:

However, I enjoyed part 4 much more! I think the 5th one was OK too :)

MrBarlow 11th September 2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 635024)
I remember enjoying Phantasm 3 more than part 2, but I did think that Reg's sex pest arc was a bit much :lol:

However, I enjoyed part 4 much more! I think the 5th one was OK too :)

Phantasm III took me a bit to warm up to prefer

nosferatu42 11th September 2020 12:52 PM

I've only seen Phantasm 3 once, when it came out and it's always been my least favourite one, i need to re watch it at some point and see what i make of it now.:pop2:

MrBarlow 11th September 2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 635039)
I've only seen Phantasm 3 once, when it came out and it's always been my least favourite one, i need to re watch it at some point and see what i make of it now.:pop2:

When I watched the box set in March I enjoyed them nice trip down the teen years memory but unfortunatly the other half didnt appreciate them.