Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 248540)

After the first two films (Soul and Corpse), the 'sequels' get progressively more ropey and tenuous in regards to good old Coffin Joe

Agreed. The first one is my favourite with all the unrepentant (but oddly charming) blasphemy - eating pork on the Sabbath and whatnot
:lol: . . .

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248793)
Is the Studio Canal Peeping Tom BD of a good quality? Might add it to my to get list.

Well it looked pretty amazing to me, but then I'm not one of those eagle eye audio visual obsessives you get around here :loco: (Suspiria BD looked FINE!!!) . . .

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th June 2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 248797)
Well it looked pretty amazing to me, but then I'm not one of those eagle eye audio visual obsessives you get around here

Agreed - The Studio Canal BD of Peeping Tom looks fantastic!

Handyman Joe 8th June 2012 07:39 PM

Just back from Prometheus and have to stick my tuppence worth in (don't worry, no spoilers) - it is an incredible piece of work. I cannot believe all the 3/5 ratings I've seen in the media, all i can say is we're pretty spoiled if this is considered an average film.
Negatives out the way first - there is a couple of silly scenes, obviously there to keep the multiplex crowd awake - for me they spoiled the tone of the movie, but its not a big deal. Also quite a bit of Alien recycling - more than a few familiar ideas put in an appearance. Some of the crew are no more than ciphers and the character shading just isn't there as it was in the original movie This is minor carping however - the film looks stunning and for once the 3D is justified, in fact its difficult to imagine the alien world and the futuristic holographic technology without it. There's a load of brilliant ideas, amazing special effects and a last shot to die for. I thought Iron Man fighting Thor was my years top nerdgasm - I was wrong! In short, don't miss this movie in the cinemas - Mr Scott is now officially forgiven for A Good Year In Provence.

Baseball Fury 8th June 2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 248524)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm putting SPOILERS just to cover my own back. There's not really spoilers here.

Just wanted to say that the films is a DIRECT prequel to Alien. You'll know why when you see it. It is not a stand alone film.

No it isn't.

re.form 8th June 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 248942)
No it isn't.

It isn't a stand alone film? or it isn't a direct sequel?

People who are saying it isn't a prequel must have watched a different film to the one I saw. Or they left before the movie finished.

re.form 8th June 2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 248670)
I wouldn't say it's a direct prequel – Ridley Scott sat there's basically another two films between Prometheus and Alien so, despite similarities, Prometheus could be taken as a stand-alone film or, should first two films be made, the first in the Alien series!

Yeah, but...it's a prequel then either way, right? My definition of a prequel is a movie made thats set before the films that came before it. By direct I mean it's obviously a movie set in the same universe and has a plot that directly links it to what comes next.

Was Star Wars episode I not a prequel until II and III got made?

It's hard to discuss this withough me saying the obvious spoilers.

Slippery Jack 8th June 2012 10:13 PM

Quatermass & the Pit

Maybe I missed Nigel Kneale's story credit on Prometheus...

SPOILERS...

The discovery of a spaceship containing fossilised alien remains. Cave paintings alerting to the age of the ship, and how the aliens were responsible for creating human life on Earth. The scientists working under the scrutiny of a no-nonsense superior (who later meets a sticky end at the hands of the ship). The biology of the ship inadvertently reawakened, and an alien plan to decimate life on Earth unleashed. The alien threat stopped by a self-sacrificing human ramming a big-ass metal object into it. There’s even a ****ing dream reading machine!

keirarts 8th June 2012 11:29 PM

Lost Highway.

My lynch boxset turned up today (at 3:30 in the afternoon, well done royal mail) and naturally given the high number of complaints I opened it immediately and stuck on Lost highway to see if it was faulty. Fortunately I got one that wasn't duff and the film played 100% fine. As good as it ever was, the first hour or so is full of palpable dread and then things go really mental for the second half, still an underrated movie in my opinion. Still love the tailgaiting scene as well!

PQ wise the film looks great to me, 1080i or 1080p I dont know but it looks better than it ever has done and sounds better too so that's good as well.

Also had a quick check of the Blue velvet disc... Missing the hours worth of deleted scenes from the 25th anniversary disc (so glad I didn't flog it!) but we do get a 40 minute interview with dennis hopper from one of the older dvd releases.

artisturn 9th June 2012 07:22 AM

Pieces (Full Screen) (Uncut) (1982)