Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 319463)
Have a word with yourself, seriously. IT. IS. A. FILM.

I guess slasher films glorify murdering people too?

Was just thinking that myself.

Hawk, maybe next time you watch a movie, and you think it's vile, and it makes you feel horrible, maybe just sit down and do or watch something else, and forget about it.

It's no real use getting riled up about it, because you are only going to stay upset about it, and being a forum for discussion, discussion will occur, and sometimes, it isn't exactly the best thing when it's about something that has offended someone.

So maybe, if you see a film like this, maybe just think, I'll forget about that, watch something else, and then write about that instead. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 11:34 AM

This exchange between Mulder and Scully in the X-Files episode Wetwired is really good, with Mulder spot on:

Quote:

MULDER: So you think that because Patnik saw this war criminal on television, he was somehow inspired to go out and murder these people?

SCULLY: Well, recent studies have linked violence on television to violent behavior.

MULDER: Yeah, but those studies are based on the assumption that Americans are just empty vessels ready to be filled with any idea or image that's fed to them like a bunch of Pavlov dogs and go out and act on it.

SCULLY: But they believe that the causal connections are there, Mulder.

MULDER: They, studies have also shown causal connections between cow flatulence and the depletion of the ozone layer. What you're talking about is pseudo-science used to make political book.

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:38 AM

Problem is that murder will always be considered a sin to society. The horros done in this film are becoming increasingly considered 'cool', being part of said generation it just break my spirit when something like this encourages such behaviour. :crazy:

keirarts 6th February 2013 11:39 AM

I actually liked project x. Sure the teens in the cast were hateful little swine but they behaved like out of control horny idiots in too deep..

teenagers basically.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 319469)
This exchange between Mulder and Scully in the X-Files episode Wetwired is really good, with Mulder spot on:

This is pretty much my response to any one who try's to say that video games or movies cause people to do violent things.

They also said the same thing about rock and roll in the 50's too :rolleyes:

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:43 AM

But rock and roll has never encouraged the spread of assault has it? Nor have slashers come to mention it, there have been considerable reconstructions of this film across the UK and the states. Childish behaviour, theres fact then theres fiction. If this movie had tride to sell itself as a self contained film (like it's older counterpart Animal House) and not tried to influence peoples actions I wouldn't mind, but it's deliberately produced to envoke a wave of copy cat scenarios. :rolleyes:

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319475)
But rock and roll has never encouraged the spread of assault has it? Nor have slashers come to mention it, there have been considerable reconstructions of this film across the UK and the states. Childish behaviour, theres fact then theres fiction. If this movie had tride to sell itself as a self contained film (like it's older counterpart Animal House) and not tried to influence peoples actions I wouldn't mind, but it's deliberately produced to envoke a wave of copy cat scenarios. :rolleyes:

But it doesn't really ENCOURAGE it as such.
I really don't think a movie encourages such things.
The Hangover doesn't encourage you to go out and get smashed off your face.
Ferris Bueller isnt exactly encouraging you to skip school.

All these teens movies and things never exactly encourage these things. It's a piece of entertainment. I will never understand why people like the American Pie movies, as I just cringe my way thought them. But some people enjoy movies like these, and I have a couple of friends who enjoyed this movies, but if anything, it put them off having a big party rather than encouraging it.

Sure, you may get copycats, but that can happen for anything. Do you really think that David Fincher directed Fight Club thinking, "Aw man, this is going to make so many people start fight clubs, it's going to be sweet"

Hawkmonger 6th February 2013 11:51 AM

And BTW, if I had been tazzered in the neck and had access to a flame thrower i'd show those little shit's what was coming to thema also! Go all Robert Ginty on there arses!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th February 2013 11:51 AM

Back on topic, I watched for films yesterday:

Looper – second viewing which showed it doesn't diminish with repeated viewings and is an intelligent piece of science fiction. It was a rental from Lovefilm and I'll buy it sooner rather than later.

V/H/S – not your typical found footage film as it's compiled of vignettes rather than one narrative arc. My eyes had trouble with some of the flashing images and it was one of those films where the end credits rolled and I didn't know what to make of what I'd just seen.

Gandhi – going back to the Best Picture Oscar winners with this immense epic which fails because it feels like a hagiography, never getting to the heart of the central figure.

Platoon – after watching Gandhi I didn't feel like another three-hour film so gave Amadeus a miss and went on to Oliver Stone's multiple Oscar winner from the year after (I'll watch Amadeus later today) and it's still one of the best films set in the Vietnam War – rather than after – along with Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket.

fuzzymctiger 6th February 2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 319479)
And BTW, if I had been tazzered in the neck and had access to a flame thrower i'd show those little shit's what was coming to thema also! Go all Robert Ginty on there arses!

Alrighty, so the movie is encouraging you to go out and burn youths?

:rolleyes: