Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 10th September 2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 364959)
Sorry to disagree with your assessment then Troggi old bean, but i thought it was shite beyond belief. :nod:

Ha ha, I've had it in my Amazon basket a few days, courtesy of the Kings of the 1p DVD's-Zoverstocks

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 364960)
Ha ha, I've had it in my Amazon basket a few days, courtesy of the Kings of the 1p DVD's-Zoverstocks

It was one of those odd times i threw it away and used the case as a replacement. :laugh:

Rik 10th September 2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 364961)
It was one of those odd times i threw it away and used the case as a replacement. :laugh:

Bloody hell, might give it a miss then, I almost did that with Backwoods Bloodbath until I realised I can get a few quid on ebay for it :lol:

Make Them Die Slowly 10th September 2013 09:30 PM

DEAD CREATURES is great, though the whole bloke in a chair bit is redundant. That said, it tries hard to present something new to the genre with it's influences more Mike Leigh than Romero.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 364962)
Bloody hell, might give it a miss then, I almost did that with Backwoods Bloodbath until I realised I can get a few quid on ebay for it :lol:

You can't take my word for it though. Troggi liked it, its always horses for courses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 364964)
DEAD CREATURES is great, though the whole bloke in a chair bit is redundant. That said, it tries hard to present something new to the genre with it's influences more Mike Leigh than Romero.

See what i mean.

Perhaps its just me, it might be a classic. :(

Rik 10th September 2013 09:36 PM

Yeah, maybe but every one of your recommendations have come through so far, so I usually trust your judgement. End of the day, it's only £1.26 :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 364968)
Yeah, maybe but every one of your recommendations have come through so far, so I usually trust your judgement. End of the day, it's only £1.26 :nod:

:blush:

keirarts 10th September 2013 10:58 PM

Re-watched INSIDIOUS and SINISTER after seeing THE CONJURING.

I know these films get some flak on these forums, and to be fair they are essentially thrill rides rather than films aiming for any high art or meaning. Stephen King once described his work as being like a Big Mac, in terms of horror i'd say these films are little different.

That said this is no bad thing.

To criticize these movies I may as well criticize TOBE HOOPERS POLTERGEIST which is essentially the same damn film with the same damn parlor tricks. Hell their no different in many respects to a lot of mainstream haunting films over the years from LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE to THE HAUNTING. Their not bad films at all and if like me your attending the film on the basis your essentially getting a 90 minute ghost ride it seems somewhat pointless to complain. They basically deliver everything they advertised and provide a lot of fun in the process.

troggi 11th September 2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 364966)
You can't take my word for it though. Troggi liked it, its always horses for courses.

See what i mean.

Perhaps its just me, it might be a classic. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 364968)

Take the risk, Rik, or send me a S.A.E. and you can have my copy. As I said it's a slow boil but you do get some feeling for the characters after a while AND it is a "new" take on the Zombie genre. At £1.26 though you might be overpaying, there was an insert for Poundland films in my copy (which I paid £1.99 for, I think, in a charity shop) so the S.A.E. sounds like a good idea. I'll PM my address to you later, mate:nod:
Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 364981)
Re-watched INSIDIOUS and SINISTER after seeing THE CONJURING.

I know these films get some flak on these forums, and to be fair they are essentially thrill rides rather than films aiming for any high art or meaning. Stephen King once described his work as being like a Big Mac, in terms of horror i'd say these films are little different.

That said this is no bad thing.

To criticize these movies I may as well criticize TOBE HOOPERS POLTERGEIST which is essentially the same damn film with the same damn parlor tricks. Hell their no different in many respects to a lot of mainstream haunting films over the years from LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE to THE HAUNTING. Their not bad films at all and if like me your attending the film on the basis your essentially getting a 90 minute ghost ride it seems somewhat pointless to complain. They basically deliver everything they advertised and provide a lot of fun in the process.

Well said! They're not giving us anything new but they're not total do-do either:nod:

SCM 11th September 2013 10:27 AM

Watched Buy The Ticket Take The Ride: Hunter S Thompson on Film. Nice little Documentary on the famous writer from the eyes of people who met him and knew him personally.