Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 183403)
You stated the Blue Underground was cut and I replied
members can always research otherwise, I have said this in the past and given info (correct) to them about dvds
there are so many versions out there of films
just because of this fact at dvdcompare and you're going on....

You just got the wrong end of the stick with my post. The wink icon should have told you something.

Plato whose post i was replying to will have got it.

My info came from other posts on other forums. For example -

"I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to see just how much the mood and character of a film can be changed by an export version to see the original Spanish version of this film, BESAME, MONSTRUO (1967). It's the "covered version" but not disappointing since there isn't that much nudity in KISS ME, MONSTER in any case. This version has a different, and preferable [to me, at least], Fernando Garcia Morcillo musical score, is 6m longer and has some interesting experimental lighting/transitional/staging effects dropped from KMM. In some cases the export version has lines of dialogue dubbed into moments in the film which had no dialogue at all in the Spanish version!

Most importantly, KMM has much footage from other unrelated, non Jess Franco films edited into it: the car chase under the opening credits, the Jazz concert segment, shots of aircraft taking off and landing, footage from Franco's SADISTERORICA (1967), just to cite the most obvious cases. This was obviously done to make it sexier, faster paced, broader in humor (I think it's just sillier) and more acceptable to American tastes. All these inserts do not appear in BM and it's still 6m longer!

BESAME MONSTRUO is a more eccentric, stranger, colloquial, Francoesque film. It's more "Spanish" in the sense that it prefers a kind of deadpan verbal satire to the broader wise cracks of the English version (Franco's wise cracks tend to comment on themselves and the genre itself).

The version I have has an odd inset of a small car in the upper right hand corner of the letterboxed frame indicating either a Spanish TV broadcast or obscure Spanish video source.

The Spanish version of the companion 1967 "Red Lips" feature, TWO UNDERCOVER ANGELS, is also totally different from the more familiar export version."

James Morton 22nd September 2011 06:08 PM

What films have you seen recently?

you have pleased the Francophiles

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 08:08 PM

Can everyone please remember how easy it is to misconstrue something from a written post and try to remain civil and friendly?

Thanks in advance!

Rik 22nd September 2011 08:37 PM

Watched Machete this morning, for the first time. Yeah, it's not a patch on Hobo with a shotgun, but I enjoyed it all the same. Followed it with the original A Nightmare on Elm St, even though I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since the tender age of 11, I still love this film. Currently watching Shadow: Dead Riot on the Horror Channel, absolute garbage so far, I can't see me lasting until the end TBH

Violence is Italian Art

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 183436)
Can everyone please remember how easy it is to misconstrue something from a written post and try to remain civil and friendly?

Thanks in advance!

I wasn't being unfriendly, i don't think James was either.

Pete 22nd September 2011 10:21 PM

I enjoyed SADISTEROTICA/ TWO UNDERCOVER ANGELS. Thought KISS ME MONSTER was boring though. (Incidently, the Redemption VHS of KMM was cut by the bbfc)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 10:24 PM

I only watched them for the first time last year and really enjoyed them both, Two Undercover Angels was by far the best film though.

Pete 22nd September 2011 10:25 PM

I enjoy most Franco films, seen almost 70 of them.:loco:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 183463)
I enjoy most Franco films, seen almost 70 of them.:loco:

Thats impressive (i think;))

I probably own around 30 - 40 and like you enjoy them very much. He has a very unfair reputation.

This thread is near the end of its 999th page. Thats some going. Guessing its the most popular thread on the forum. :first:

Pete 22nd September 2011 10:37 PM

Love him, he has his own unique style and doesn't care what anyone thinks. I do think you have be in a certain mood to really appreciate his work though.

Also, I think the stick he get's is due to the fact that for years his less personal work like CANNIBALS, REVENGE IN THE HOUSE OF USHER, OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES etc where the only films available, while most of his better films weren't available until fairly recently.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 183467)
Also, I think the stick he get's is due to the fact that for years his less personal work like CANNIBALS, REVENGE IN THE HOUSE OF USHER, OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES etc where the only films available, while most of his better films weren't available until fairly recently.

Very good point.

I even like Devil Hunter.

Must be a hidden ping pong ball fetish i have.

Pete 22nd September 2011 10:45 PM

DH is very silly, the helicopter 'crash' is hilarious.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd September 2011 10:47 PM

He tries to be ambitious in his movies.

platostotal 22nd September 2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 183461)
I enjoyed SADISTEROTICA/ TWO UNDERCOVER ANGELS. Thought KISS ME MONSTER was boring though. (Incidently, the Redemption VHS of KMM was cut by the bbfc)

Both fine by me, KMM looks far better on the Redemtion vhs than a weird crop on SADIST, love the bit where the guy comes to warn them but gets a knife in the back and dies, so the gals repay his loyalty by driving to the coast and chucking his body off a cliff, made me laugh anyway... Must get em on dvd some day.

platostotal 23rd September 2011 12:57 PM

Watched STAR WARS THE PHANTOM MENACE on dvd last night, firstly it's true what some say, this looks OMFG amazing. Even an old cynic like me can't deny how well CGI is used here to paint a beautiful picture, credit where it's due Lucas outdoes himself in the visuals. The pod race itself is a stunning set piece and the highlight of the film. But... whoever wrote the dialogue/script is in need of a good slapping, childish drivel is an understatement, at one point I expected Liam to reach across and tickle Ewan's chin and go "oochy goochy koo":lol: I'm not joking it's that infantile and ruins the film for anyone over the age of about 9. God, how you miss Han Solo's cynical wit here, maybe Lucas was aiming the film at American pre-teens(in order to sell them action figures and toys no doubt) but it does the STAR WARS legacy no favors. When Darth Maul shows up you really wish he would slice the heroes to bits, and don't even start with Jar Jar. The best way to watch this is to switch the commentary on and just drink in the lush visuals. Not a patch on the original films I'm afraid.

Apologies to fans who like it, but the script just kills it dead, it is very family friendly tho, and the kiddies will love it.

sawyer6 23rd September 2011 01:05 PM

Watched again my favorite Best picture winner ,Midnight Cowboy with Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman at their best.Really love this film

James Morton 23rd September 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 183460)

You're wrong
Making comments thats all
there are many members on this site who are not sure about different versions of films and all I was staing was a fact on dvdcompare!
which I have said already....

If someone reads my post. and I send a message about a dvd cut/uncut whatever it doesn't mean they will buy the dvd because ater me telling them version mentioned

its all about looking around............

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd September 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 183436)

Thanks in advance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 183460)

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 183562)
You're wrong
Making comments thats all
there are many members on this site who are not sure about different versions of films and all I was staing was a fact on dvdcompare!
which I have said already....

If someone reads my post. and I send a message about a dvd cut/uncut whatever it doesn't mean they will buy the dvd because ater me telling them version mentioned

its all about looking around............

Why would you contradict me when i said that your posts were in a friendly and civil manner?

Its not worth the time responding to you if thats how you feel.

nekromantik 23rd September 2011 04:51 PM

Just come back from the cinema and saw the re-release of Jurassic Park!
It was simply amazing! The remaster brings out a lot of detail without a hint of digital manipulation. It was a very nostalgic trip as I still remember seeing it as a kid in the cinema when I was 8. :)

Jurassic Park is simply one of the all time greatest movies. As much as I love horror you just cant get a feeling like you do when you watch Jurassic Park.

10/10

Make Them Die Slowly 23rd September 2011 11:11 PM

"Toy Story 3", preferred 1 and 2 but this one packed an emotional punch that I didn't expect. The monkey frightened the shit out of my daughter. Naughty monkey.:tsk::)

pedromonkey 24th September 2011 02:17 PM

watched a few films over the last 2 days...

Dark Of The Sun: OMG why haven't Warners given this a proper bloody release, brilliant film, pretty violent for the time it was made with a great don't give a **** performance from Rod Taylor with support from Big Jim Brown and the ever watchable Kenneth Moore, my only problem, the version i watched was chopped to bits towards the end and became quite Jarring, Brilliant Jaques Loussier Score and Jack Cardiff fantastic direction looks like he channelled Robert Aldrich. Anyways, a fantastic old school action film...

Satan's Baby Doll: utter trash, just rubbish. didn't find anything remotely enjoyable about this, the reinserted scenes that shameless put back in add nothing and due to the quality of the scenes really doesn't mix well with the pretty good remaster of the film. Not one of Shameless' best.

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage: Argento's debut, a wonderfully envisioned exercise in tension and Hitchcockian asthetics. Good central performance from Tony Mussante, a very under used Suzy Kendall and some truly atmospheric scenes. To be honest the film kept me guessing about who the killer was, much like the first Scream film did. Is the aspect ration on the Arrow blu wrong because the film looked a little stretched. Anywhoo, bloody good film.

platostotal 24th September 2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 183816)

Dark Of The Sun: OMG why haven't Warners given this a proper bloody release, brilliant film, pretty violent for the time it was made with a great don't give a **** performance from Rod Taylor with support from Big Jim Brown and the ever watchable Kenneth Moore, my only problem, the version i watched was chopped to bits towards the end and became quite Jarring, Brilliant Jaques Loussier Score and Jack Cardiff fantastic direction looks like he channelled Robert Aldrich. Anyways, a fantastic old school action film...

Satan's Baby Doll: utter trash, just rubbish. didn't find anything remotely enjoyable about this, the reinserted scenes that shameless put back in add nothing and due to the quality of the scenes really doesn't mix well with the pretty good remaster of the film. Not one of Shameless' best.

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage: Argento's debut, a wonderfully envisioned exercise in tension and Hitchcockian asthetics. Good central performance from Tony Mussante, a very under used Suzy Kendall and some truly atmospheric scenes. To be honest the film kept me guessing about who the killer was, much like the first Scream film did. Is the aspect ration on the Arrow blu wrong because the film looked a little stretched. Anywhoo, bloody good film.

DARK OF THE SUN got shown on tv years ago and got complaints about racism, well in the tv listings anyway:lol:(isn't it the one with a racist baddie, and Rod Taylor kills him in bloody but censored way at the end?) But yeah I'd like to see it uncut. If that's the one anyway.

pedromonkey 24th September 2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 183819)
DARK OF THE SUN got shown on tv years ago and got complaints about racism, well in the tv listings anyway:lol:(isn't it the one with a racist baddie, and Rod Taylor kills him in bloody but censored way at the end?) But yeah I'd like to see it uncut. If that's the one anyway.

yeah that's the one, i can see where they were coming from in regards to the racism, The bad guy is a former Nazi and wears a swastika, so he's quite against taking orders from Jim Brown. It's Taylors show but the gorgeous Yvette Mimieux shows up and gives the film a slightly more humanistic quality.

Make Them Die Slowly 24th September 2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 183816)

Pedromonkey: try "Malabimba:The Malicious Whore" it's the film "Satan's Baby Doll" is a remake of, and quite frankly pisses all over SBD, which is just plain shite.

mercury 24th September 2011 04:17 PM

Saw Burke and Hare. Apart from a few laughs, I found this film to be too short and a bit pointless:(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th September 2011 04:48 PM

My graphics card burnt out last weekend and I've only just received a new one and successfully installed it. This has meant I've been mostly without a computer for a week (except through work).

No computer has meant that I've been able to watch a lot more films than I usually would have:

True Grit (2010) - I wanted to see this being a fan (to some extent) of the Coen's . Didn't enjoy it much, to be honest.

The Abominable Snowman - Hugely under-rated Hammer classic starring the always brilliant Peter Cushing. The new Icon DVD is pretty decent, too.

Midnight - Great choice for a release from Arrow (I love it when companies dig up these obscure nostalgia inducing horror gems!). The print is certainly rough around the edges, but this is to be expected from a film like this. More like this please Arrow! :clap:

Pieces - One of my favourite slasher films ever. Very nice DVD from Arrow, although I would have happily had one of my arms chainsawed off for a Blu-ray version! ;)

The Legend of Hell House - One of my favourite 'Haunted House' movies. I'd only seen this on a portable before, so watching it on a big screen with the surround sound cranked up was a real treat.

The Haunting - The second of my 'Haunted House' double-bill, I can first remember watching this when I was quite young and the trap-door bit of the spiral staircase scene making me jump. I've since watched it numerous times, and that particular scene remains one of my favourite scenes.

Giallo - I wanted to to watch this again, as I was still undecided on whether I 'liked' it or not after my initial viewing. No doubt it's extremely muddled, and with a very rushed, anti-climactic finale; I think I've mentioned this before, but ironically it doesn't play out much like a giallo either (except in the literal sense of the word ;)), more a dull, plodding slasher. I've seen worse, but it's certainly not Argento's finest hour - I'd say it was on par with The Card Player.

Laid to Rest - Second time I've seen this. My original opinion still stands: Really decent modern slasher film with some very well constructed visual and make-up effects, a gripping story, and an interesting killer. Still not a big fan of that ending, although less bothered now I understand that there is a sequel. Need to see that.

Hatchet for a Honeymoon - Pure brilliance. A lot of Bava fans don't seem to rate this, although it's on of my favourites.

I've also started going through the 'Gold Box' of Twin Peaks again... :love:

It's surprising how much of your free time the internet eats up! :shocked: I've also been buying less films due to the enticing lure of e-shopping being removed... I'm sure that will change now, though! :D

gag 25th September 2011 01:40 AM

Just watched midnite spares an Australian 80s film about a gang of car thiefs
I quite enjoyed this think its a underated gem of a film..

Phurious 25th September 2011 09:42 AM

I went to an all nighter triple bill of the Female Prisoner films at my local cinema (Rio, Dalston) courtesy of Cigarette Burns Cinema and these chaps: Scala Forever.

Well it was amazing to see these beauties on the big screen with a hardcore bunch of all nighter peeps.

The films were absolutely fantastic and I loved them all, but the first: Scorpion impressed me the most and I can't believe that Nicolas Winding Refn wasn't in some way informed by it before he made Bronson.

Jailhouse 41 went down a slightly more eccentric, surreal route, but also had a big impact.

And in retrospect I think that Beast Stable was probably the oddest of the bunch. Opening with the heroine running through the crowded streets of Tokyo with a severed arm handcuffed to her was a masterful stroke of 'Eh?'.

Feeling pretty knackered though as my little boy didn't want me to have any sleep - he woke me up an hour after I got back at 7am :(

platostotal 25th September 2011 11:27 AM

Saw STRAW DOGS on ch4 last night, looked intact, how times have changed. The thing is... I don't know if I like it as much I used to, like am I the only one to find the West country baddies stereotypes, and as for the young tarty 'Janice' victim, holy farmers daughter batman, but great final reel though. Just my opinion.

jiraffejustin 25th September 2011 12:07 PM

I watched Paranormal Activity 1 & 2 last night, and I don't really see why people don't care for the second one. I liked it a lot more. The first one had its creepy moments and everything, but I had a lot harder of a time taking it seriously. The second one suffered from the same thing, but the second one also took the things from the first movie that were creepy and made them a little more over the top. But that's what I felt like worked the best in the film, the over the top creepiness put me on edge. Plus, it just felt more effective because as soon as I saw the baby I knew he would be the target. I have a tough time seeing babies be put through anything in horror films, so that increased the effect by a large margin for me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th September 2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 183984)
I went to an all nighter triple bill of the Female Prisoner films at my local cinema (Rio, Dalston) courtesy of Cigarette Burns Cinema and these chaps: Scala Forever.

Well it was amazing to see these beauties on the big screen with a hardcore bunch of all nighter peeps.

The films were absolutely fantastic and I loved them all, but the first: Scorpion impressed me the most and I can't believe that Nicolas Winding Refn wasn't in some way informed by it before he made Bronson.

Jailhouse 41 went down a slightly more eccentric, surreal route, but also had a big impact.

And in retrospect I think that Beast Stable was probably the oddest of the bunch. Opening with the heroine running through the crowded streets of Tokyo with a severed arm handcuffed to her was a masterful stroke of 'Eh?'.

Feeling pretty knackered though as my little boy didn't want me to have any sleep - he woke me up an hour after I got back at 7am :(

I'd love to be able to see these on the big screen. Scorpion's my favourite, too.

James Morton 25th September 2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platostotal (Post 184016)
Saw STRAW DOGS on ch4 last night, looked intact, how times have changed. The thing is... I don't know if I like it as much I used to, like am I the only one to find the West country baddies stereotypes, and as for the young tarty 'Janice' victim, holy farmers daughter batman, but great final reel though. Just my opinion.

I read the film was edited
I saw STRAW DOGS when on channel 5 some time ago, edited then as well and at the end it had the Disney logo
a very good film though, got the Fremantle dvd, one of Peckinpah's best

Slippery Jack 25th September 2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Coooool :cool: I was there in spirit, doing my best Meiko Kaji death stare :shocked:... was the t-shirt design any good?

Agree with you on the first one being the best of the bunch. Never thought about the Winding Refn comparrison, but I can see what you mean. And yeah, the Beast Stable title sequence is a series highlight (think the rest of the film lacks the punch of the other two though). Still got fourth film Grudge Song to watch. It's the first one not to be directed by Shunya Ito, so will be interesting to see how it compares in style . . .

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th September 2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

I completely agree with your summation of each film and, like everyone else, I agree Scorpion is the best. I would have loved to be there and imagine it was an awesome environment.

Phurious 25th September 2011 05:41 PM

Yeh, it was a great event and I'm really chuffed to have seen them big and loud.

The crowd was in good spirits and there was some guffawing at times, but this is understandable.

I was relatively perky until the last hour and then it all became a bit hypnagogic, but this certainly added to the overall dreamy/hallucinogenic feel of the films.

@Slippery Jack - the tees are awesome. I'll sort a decent pic out and show you. Probably my joint fave with the Ms. 45 one.

Really looking forward to watching them all again, but I'm not sure if I'll be in a rush to see the follow ups as they weren't sold to well by the guy who was introducing the trilogy last night (he wrote this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behind-Pink-.../dp/190325454X).

Oh yeh, I have to admit as stunningly beautiful and alluring as Meiko Kaji was, I was really bowled over by her nemesis in Scorpion, Katagiri. I s'pose I like the naughty ones ;)

Slippery Jack 25th September 2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 184260)
Really looking forward to watching them all again, but I'm not sure if I'll be in a rush to see the follow ups as they weren't sold to well by the guy who was introducing the trilogy last night (he wrote this: Behind the Pink Curtain: The Complete History of Japanese Sex Cinema: Amazon.co.uk: Jasper Sharp: Books).

The link didn't work for me, but looked it up - worth a purchase I reckon. I put my Pinky viewing on hold to make way for Gialli, but reckon I'll start up again now! Yeah, Katagiri's pretty cool - love the lamp burning scene :eek: . . .

bdc 25th September 2011 07:43 PM

Really enjoyed myself with the very very bizarre but fun The Godfather Squad!
Talk about bizarre...Gordon Mitchell,as the "son of a dead top Nazi",walks around in a SS uniform all the time! :loco:
And there's lots more going on!
The ending is really amazing...

I really enjoyed Bruce's Last Battle as well.
There were 3 times when I thought the movie would be ending but luckily it just kept on going... :)

Recommended with a pizza or spicy noodles. :thumb:

piraterob 25th September 2011 08:21 PM

just finished watching wolverine origins on ch4. big fan of x men and have seen it before. like the film but one thing I don't like is that my favourite character gambit in this film is made to look like a complete wimp.

Baseball Fury 25th September 2011 08:59 PM

I just watched Going The Distance. I was dreading it, but it was pretty good! Justin Long is always watchable, and the two dudes playing his friends were funny. Good supporting role from Christina Applegate as well. Worth a watch.

antmumford 25th September 2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 184341)
I just watched Going The Distance. I was dreading it, but it was pretty good! Justin Long is always watchable, and the two dudes playing his friends were funny. Good supporting role from Christina Applegate as well. Worth a watch.

It's a great film. A Rom com aimed at both men and women.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk