Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Gojirosan 7th November 2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 47233)
Cheers.

OOOOH yes! I most certainly put "The Omen" far above "Rosemary".
Pensioners with chocolate mousse and the world's most suspicious husband do not a great Satanic plot make.

I still like it and fully understand and appreciate its historical placing. But this does not move me in any of the ways "The Omen" does.
And yeah...I prefer "The Omen" to "The Exorcist" too! :tape:

I prefer most things to The Exorcist, to be honest! I've never understood its popularity though I recognise its importance. It just doesn't do it for me at all.

I feel the same way about - sacrilege!!! - The Last House On The Left too!

Pete 7th November 2009 10:33 PM

I agree with you there.

Exorcist is ssssssssssoooooooooooooo overated and Last House is just boring.

42ndStreetFreak 7th November 2009 11:06 PM

The tragic comody cops certainly hurt "Last House". It has some powerful moments though.

Gojirosan 8th November 2009 12:40 AM

I just watched (finally! Yay!) The Whip And The Body from Midnight Choir period melodrama double bill disk of The Whip And The Body/Conspiracy Of Torture.

One of the few Bava flicks to escape me over the years, I was glad to finally get to watch it. I love the Italian Gothics and this must rank as one of the finest. It's sumptuously shot with glorious use of colour and shadow throughout. Bava and Ubaldo Terzano make good use of the widesreen frame to capture the spooky ambience too. The decent transfer helps here too, it's a good version.

One the one hand I was delighted by this film with its atmosphere and tone and wonderfully succinct story...but on the other there was a pang of disappointment that it doesn't live up to the standards of Mask Of Satan or Kill Baby Kill. Compared to these classics its a bit lacking in enthusiasm and energy and the actors (even Christopher Lee) seem to sleepwalk through their parts as if they don't especially care about the material.

That's not to say its bad - it most certainly is not. It's a great film and a fine example of its kind.

I really enjoyed it and am glad to own it at last!

Angel 8th November 2009 06:05 AM

Ryan Nicholson's Hanger

One for the BBFC's scissor's department...if ever submitted.

Still if your into extreme exploitation you might enjoy it.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 8th November 2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 47238)
I agree with you there.

Exorcist is ssssssssssoooooooooooooo overated and Last House is just boring.

I'm with you on the Last House - that is truly an overrated film IMO. But at least it kicked started Craven's career. As for The Exorcist that film actually scared me the first time I saw it! But admitedly I was only about 12! I rewatched it again on Halloweeny with some mates and it was just boring. Except for the possession bits mind. Thats the same with Rosemary's Baby in my books.

Kyle 8th November 2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 47249)
Ryan Nicholson's Hanger

One for the BBFC's scissor's department...if ever submitted.

Still if your into extreme exploitation you might enjoy it.

i really want to see this, when was it released?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th November 2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitchslicer (Post 47260)
i really want to see this, when was it released?

Amazon have it due for release on Nov 17th.

Angel, did you get a promo copy?

Kyle 8th November 2009 02:02 PM

i think there was a release of it that was severely cut that was floating around to download but ryan asked for people not to watch it as it was not the film he intended everyone to see, not sure if im right though :noidea:

mark meakin 8th November 2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 47233)
Cheers.

OOOOH yes! I most certainly put "The Omen" far above "Rosemary".
Pensioners with chocolate mousse and the world's most suspicious husband do not a great Satanic plot make.

I still like it and fully understand and appreciate its historical placing. But this does not move me in any of the ways "The Omen" does.
And yeah...I prefer "The Omen" to "The Exorcist" too! :tape:

Same here.The Omen & The Howling are my two favourite horror films.